Author Topic: MONSTER TRICEPS! Ask JROD (Nattie BB CHAMP) Q & A  (Read 342841 times)

AVBG

Re: MONSTER TRICEPS! Ask JROD (Nattie BB CHAMP) Q & A
« Reply #275 on: May 24, 2007, 08:14:28 PM »
Hey guys :). I've been on these Boards as a guest for a while now and thought it was about time to get into the action so to speak ;).

I have to say that some of the tips that JROD has posted here  have helped me quite a bit and answered a number of questions that have been nagging me for a while. It's great to hear from someone that is down to earth and happy to share what he has learnt with others. Keep it up mate, all your advice and knowledge is much appreciated  :).

Great #1 post.  :)

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #276 on: May 25, 2007, 01:29:52 AM »
Hey guys :). I've been on these Boards as a guest for a while now and thought it was about time to get into the action so to speak ;).

I have to say that some of the tips that JROD has posted here  have helped me quite a bit and answered a number of questions that have been nagging me for a while. It's great to hear from someone that is down to earth and happy to share what he has learnt with others. Keep it up mate, all your advice and knowledge is much appreciated  :).

Thanks, Honour.  I'm happy to help. 

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #277 on: May 28, 2007, 12:57:26 AM »
Hey Jrod,

What do you do for chest training?  Days per week, exercises, sets, ect.

Thanks!

I train chest once per week and do a total of 6-7 sets in a 4-6 rep range.  I choose from the following exercises:
Barbell bench press
incline barbell/dumbbell press
decline barbell press
Dips
and sometimes the Hammer Strength plate loaded machines (decline and incline).

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #278 on: May 28, 2007, 01:36:18 AM »

Jeff,

Reading your posts have been an absolute pleasure.  You are truly an inspiration to all natural and non-naturabl bodybuilders.  You definitely take bodybuilding very seriously, but also seem to be keeping it very well balanced with the rest of your life (studies, social life, etc). Which I am quite impressed by.

I've learned a lot from your posts and believe me I'm preparing a whole bunch of questions to send your way very soon.

What are your plans for the future in regards to competition as well as other aspects in your life?

Keep up the great work big guy.

Ahmed

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #279 on: May 28, 2007, 06:34:58 PM »
Jeff,

Reading your posts have been an absolute pleasure.  You are truly an inspiration to all natural and non-naturabl bodybuilders.  You definitely take bodybuilding very seriously, but also seem to be keeping it very well balanced with the rest of your life (studies, social life, etc). Which I am quite impressed by.

I've learned a lot from your posts and believe me I'm preparing a whole bunch of questions to send your way very soon.

What are your plans for the future in regards to competition as well as other aspects in your life?

Keep up the great work big guy.

Ahmed

Thank you for the compliments, and I'm glad you've enjoyed my posts, Ahmed. 

Outside of bodybuilding, my focus right now is on graduating from college (I am getting a BS in Math from the University of California in a month).  As for bodybuilding, I am currently preparing for the 2007 Team Universe (6 1/2 weeks out).

As for your questions, bring them on. 

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #280 on: June 02, 2007, 06:05:38 PM »
Jrod,

Can you keep us updated with some progress pics as you prepare for your competition?

Thx.

Here's a picture that was taken today, 6 weeks out.

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #281 on: June 02, 2007, 06:21:32 PM »
Darn JROD your shoulders look like they are full and round mate, lookin good :D!

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #282 on: June 03, 2007, 09:46:28 AM »
Incredible...put many drug users to shame.

AVBG

« Reply #283 on: June 03, 2007, 11:46:01 AM »
 :o 8) :o that's unreal.

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #284 on: June 04, 2007, 06:23:43 AM »
just awesome!!!
!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #285 on: June 04, 2007, 08:45:37 AM »
Crazy teardrops J.  :o

Do you squat heavy, 4-6 range Max-OT style?  If so, any knee trouble?  How many sets to warm up?

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #286 on: June 04, 2007, 07:49:02 PM »
Crazy teardrops J.  :o

Do you squat heavy, 4-6 range Max-OT style?  If so, any knee trouble?  How many sets to warm up?

Yes, I squat (and do other quad exercises) in a 4-6 rep range.  I have had sore knees before, but I just try to be careful by avoiding exercises that hurt and training around (not through) the problem.  If squats are bothering my knee/s, I would either change my foot positioning or do a different exercise until the problem goes away. 

As for warm-ups, I do about 4 before actually doing a real, working set. 

hardkor

• Getbig II
« Reply #287 on: June 07, 2007, 06:34:58 PM »
jrod,

what brand and what type of protein powder do you use?  do you use different kinds for yor workout drinks than from your meals with the oatmeal?

thanks!

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #288 on: June 08, 2007, 11:39:13 AM »
Hey J what do you do for shoulders?

Thanks.
just push some weight!

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #289 on: June 12, 2007, 11:26:10 AM »
jrod,

what brand and what type of protein powder do you use?  do you use different kinds for yor workout drinks than from your meals with the oatmeal?

thanks!

Offseason:  around workout time i use Bioplex's Pure WPI (I used to use ASTs VP2, but found a good deal on the bioplex).  On non workout times (EG with my oatmeal) I use Optimum Nutrition's 100% whey.

Pre Contest:  Now that I am being really concious of calories, I use Bioplex's Pure WPI for everything since it has 0 Fat and 0 carbs. 

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #290 on: June 12, 2007, 11:29:53 AM »
Hey J what do you do for shoulders?

Thanks.

Mostly presses.  Here are the exercises I choose from:  Standing or seated barbell presses, seated dumbell presses, side laterals, and the plate loaded hammer strength shoulder press.  I do 5-6 sets total (after warming up) all in a 4-6 rep range. 

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #291 on: June 12, 2007, 11:32:11 AM »
What is the Glycemic Index (GI) of waxy maize? 

hey JRod, great thread.

so I'm thinking by this comment that you pay close atttention to the GI when structuring a diet, it this a correct assumption?

Thanks
nasser=piece of shit

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #292 on: June 12, 2007, 02:37:19 PM »
hey JRod, great thread.

so I'm thinking by this comment that you pay close atttention to the GI when structuring a diet, it this a correct assumption?

Thanks

Thanks, and yes, that is correct.  I consume high GI carbs for breakfast and around the workout, and low GI carbs the rest of the time.

Here is a site with a good database of the GI of different  foods:  http://www.glycemicindex.com/

Click on "GI Database" on the left to find specific foods. 

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #293 on: June 12, 2007, 04:23:41 PM »
Thanks, and yes, that is correct.  I consume high GI carbs for breakfast and around the workout, and low GI carbs the rest of the time.

Here is a site with a good database of the GI of different  foods:  http://www.glycemicindex.com/

Click on "GI Database" on the left to find specific foods. 

have you ever read "macrobolic nutrition" by gerard dente?  He owns the MHP supplement company but put out this book which does eventually push his supps but otherwise I think it's a pretty good guide to how to eat low GI carbs.....
nasser=piece of shit

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #294 on: June 12, 2007, 04:51:47 PM »
I do 5-6 sets total (after warming up) all in a 4-6 rep range. 

4-6 reps, when you say that mate do you mean that you do 5-6 sets of the same exercise of about 4-6 reps? Just curious as i may give it a go, i normally sit around the 3 sets of 8-12 range. Cheers :).

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #295 on: June 12, 2007, 05:02:56 PM »
have you ever read "macrobolic nutrition" by gerard dente?  He owns the MHP supplement company but put out this book which does eventually push his supps but otherwise I think it's a pretty good guide to how to eat low GI carbs.....

No, never read it, but I'll take a look at it if I happen to see it at Borders; thanks.

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #296 on: June 12, 2007, 05:08:32 PM »
4-6 reps, when you say that mate do you mean that you do 5-6 sets of the same exercise of about 4-6 reps? Just curious as i may give it a go, i normally sit around the 3 sets of 8-12 range. Cheers :).

No, I mean 5-6 total sets for shoulders (whether it be 2 exercises for 3 sets each, 3 exercises for 2 sets each, etc.), and each set is done in the 4-6 rep range. 

For example, 2 sets of seated barbell presses (4-6 reps/set); 2 sets of seated dumbell presses (4-6 reps/set); 2 sets of side laterals (4-6 reps). 

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #297 on: June 13, 2007, 01:14:23 AM »
No, I mean 5-6 total sets for shoulders (whether it be 2 exercises for 3 sets each, 3 exercises for 2 sets each, etc.), and each set is done in the 4-6 rep range. 

For example, 2 sets of seated barbell presses (4-6 reps/set); 2 sets of seated dumbell presses (4-6 reps/set); 2 sets of side laterals (4-6 reps). 

Ahhhh cool thanks. Kind of like Yates training style etc. I don't really think i can handle my weights or have enough control of my form to go that heavy for low reps at the moment. But i will try it in a few months to mix it up and see how it goes :). It is obviously working for you and I'm always up to try something fresh. Thanks again mate!

Big Lee

• Getbig II
  • Roadhouse was a great movie.
« Reply #298 on: June 13, 2007, 08:02:36 PM »
Hey J-Rod, what do you think of Machine Pullovers - 1-2 sets on the 4-6 rep range, doing a 4-6 sec. negative and explosive positive?  As part of a 6 set back workout.

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #299 on: June 14, 2007, 12:48:33 AM »
can you post some more progress pics?  always impressed by your physique man.  ive been doing a routine similar to max-ot also and getting good results.  seems like i perform better in the 4-6 rep range. 

Actually, I haven't taken any since the last one I posted.  But, I'll post picture/s if I take some this weekend.