Author Topic: From emasculation to faggotization - Stuart Scott wearing an earring  (Read 10938 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Got Sportscenter on at work.  Just glanced up and saw that the black guy, Stuart Scott (no relation), is wearing an earring.

Next thing you know, he'll be wearing jeans that don't cover his ass like these 2 kids I saw at the zoo on Saturday.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Re: From emasculation to faggotization
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 05:28:12 AM »
How do we combat this?

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 05:32:44 AM »
Got Sportscenter on at work.  Just glanced up and saw that the black guy, Stuart Scott (no relation), is wearing an earring.

Next thing you know, he'll be wearing jeans that don't cover his ass like these 2 kids I saw at the zoo on Saturday.

and your point is???...whats it to you???

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 05:40:49 AM »
and your point is???...whats it to you???

My point is that certain behaviors - especially when performed for large, public audiences - contribute to the further dismantling of the Black family and *we're* the ones doing it.  Little black boys need to be taught how to manage households instead of spending so much time worrying about how 'pretty' they are.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 05:47:12 AM »
How do we combat this?

I'm at a fucking loss, seriously.  Denzel, Ed Bradley, and Morgan Freeman certainly didn't help matters.  Google just handed me this article:

AMERICAN PARADOX: YOUNG BLACK MEN
Renford Reese
CHAPTER 4: SYMBOLS OF DEFIANCE

The cross is a symbol of redemption and the most sacred symbol of the Christian faith. Once upon a time crosses were worn only by priests, ministers, and the very religious. Today, many young black men wear crosses. They wear them because they have embraced the cross as a symbol of defiance. Many would consider it blasphemy to use profanity while wearing a cross. However, it is the shock effect of wearing a cross while simultaneously being a gangsta-thug that is appealing to many young black men. For example, when reading an article in USA Today titled “50 Cent Rules Year in Radio,” I noticed that the accompanying photo of the artist featured him wearing a long gold necklace connected to a miniature book that had “Holy Bible” engraved on it (Barnes 2003, 14D). I immediately wondered how an artist whose album boasts of violence, sex, and drugs with song titles such as “P.I.M.P.” and “High All the Time”--as in, “I get high all the time”--could sport a necklace with the Holy Bible on it. Religious symbols such as this have strangely become symbols of defiance. Many young black men who have embraced the gangsta-thug persona wear the cross because they are not supposed to. Indeed, these individuals have embraced other symbols of defiance.

In Cool Pose: The Dilemmas of Black Manhood in America, Richard Majors and Janet Mancini Billson state that being “cool” is the black man’s way of dealing with racism and discrimination without losing his sanity.

Being cool invigorates a life that would otherwise be degrading and empty. It helps the black male make sense out his life and get what he wants from others. Cool pose brings a dynamic vitality into the black male’s everyday encounters, transforming the mundane into the sublime and making the routine spectacular. (Majors and Billson 1992, 2)

I agree with Majors and Billson. However, I would add that coolness is also a symbol of defiance for the African American male.

EARRINGS AND TATTOOS
Over the past decade, the earring has become increasingly popular among young black men. Why?

There is so much pressure put on black men to conform to one model of black masculinity. Some 45 percent of 744 respondents to the survey of young black males I conducted in 2002 stated that they wore earrings. These respondents were from thirteen to nineteen years of age.

When I entered college in 1985, I was shocked to see that my African American roommate wore an earring. He was unique because at that time earrings had not become accepted. Now it is difficult to find a young black man who does not have one or two earrings. What do these earrings symbolize? I once heard an African American athlete comment that wearing earrings was an African tradition. I have been to Africa three times and the only men I saw wearing earrings were the ones who were trying to emulate African Americans. Young black men began wearing earrings as a symbol of defiance against the conservative white system.

At one point in our recent history, earrings were worn only by women, some homosexual men, and a few hippies. So how did this mostly feminine ornament become transformed into a widely embraced symbol of black masculinity? Donning an earring met one of the fundamental criteria for black masculinity: challenging the system. Earrings remain a taboo in conservative white America. In golf, for instance--a sport that represents the power structure--you will rarely see a player wearing an earring.

I contend that the earring as a symbol of defiance tells the white power structure, “You can’t control me.” When black men wear their hats backwards or to the side, they are making the statement, “I’m not like you and you can’t control me.” As various symbols of defiance have become tolerated, young black men have constantly pushed the envelope. For example, as the stud earring became tolerated by the power structure, the symbol of defiance became more visible. Black men moved from the stud to the hoop earring and from the hoops to two earrings. Michael Jordan’s sporting of the “Genie Hoop” earring is his subtle symbol of defiance and one affirmation of his black maleness. It would be hard to fathom Joe Montana, John Elway, or Wayne Gretsky adorning themselves with such symbols of defiance.

What statement did the reporter Ed Bradley of 60 Minutes make when he started wearing an earring in the mid 1980s? At the time, his wearing an earring on the air was a radical and controversial statement. The earring was Bradley’s way of telling the conservative operation at 60 Minutes: “I may work for you but you can’t control me.”

My mom was disappointed that Denzel Washington continued to sport the earring he wore in the film Training Day. She asked me, "What are these middle-aged and old black men doing wearing earrings? I saw Morgan Freeman with two hoop earrings. What are they doing?"

Although 11.23% of those surveyed stated that they have tattoos, this is substantial since tattoos are outlawed for those under the age of 18. Tattoos have replaced the earring as a symbol of defiance and authenticity for young black men.

As the earring has become surprisingly tolerated by the power structure, young black men have moved to tattoos. A significant majority of NBA players have tattoos. Tattoos were once seen as a representation of defiance only sported by whites in motorcycle clubs, veterans, and backwoods residents. While growing up in McDonough, Georgia, I cannot recall ever seeing a black person with a tattoo. So why have so many young black men appropriated a cultural phenomenon that was foreign to them just a decade ago?

The fact is that young black men need new symbols of defiance to affirm their black maleness. When one tattoo is not enough of a symbol, then young black men will move to multiple tattoos. Some already have. Allen Iverson of the NBA is a representation of this defiance.

What is Iverson attempting to prove with his multiple tattoos? Because he has so many tattoos, his statement must be that he is the ultimate “Bad guy” who cannot be controlled by the system. Perhaps these symbols of defiance are today’s versions of the black-gloved fists of Tommie Smith and John Carlos at the 1968 Olympics. Nevertheless, these visual representations of black masculinity can be counterproductive. Although Iverson can get away with wearing multiple tattoos because he is a multimillionaire, the average young black man limits his vertical mobility when he embraces such symbols of defiance. In order for him to get a job and begin a career as a teacher, police officer, salesperson, marketing representative, accountant, or stockbroker, he will invariably have to prove to his employer that he is the anti-thug. In other words, he has to prove that he is the polar opposite of the gangsta-thug. Whether it is the baggy pants, the bandana, the braids in the hair, the earring, or the tattoo, black men must realize that in certain arenas, there are negative consequences to embracing defiant symbols of black masculinity.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 06:04:08 AM »
Maybe he gets away with it at Éspn so people can notice the earring instead of his dead wondering eyeball

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 06:08:50 AM »
Someone should tell these fools that they wouldn't even be alive if the white man didn't allow it.  The white man could eradicate every one of them tomorrow if he wanted but he chooses to let them live.  Fuckwits.
I'm at a fucking loss, seriously.  Denzel, Ed Bradley, and Morgan Freeman certainly didn't help matters.  Google just handed me this article:

AMERICAN PARADOX: YOUNG BLACK MEN
Renford Reese
CHAPTER 4: SYMBOLS OF DEFIANCE

The cross is a symbol of redemption and the most sacred symbol of the Christian faith. Once upon a time crosses were worn only by priests, ministers, and the very religious. Today, many young black men wear crosses. They wear them because they have embraced the cross as a symbol of defiance. Many would consider it blasphemy to use profanity while wearing a cross. However, it is the shock effect of wearing a cross while simultaneously being a gangsta-thug that is appealing to many young black men. For example, when reading an article in USA Today titled “50 Cent Rules Year in Radio,” I noticed that the accompanying photo of the artist featured him wearing a long gold necklace connected to a miniature book that had “Holy Bible” engraved on it (Barnes 2003, 14D). I immediately wondered how an artist whose album boasts of violence, sex, and drugs with song titles such as “P.I.M.P.” and “High All the Time”--as in, “I get high all the time”--could sport a necklace with the Holy Bible on it. Religious symbols such as this have strangely become symbols of defiance. Many young black men who have embraced the gangsta-thug persona wear the cross because they are not supposed to. Indeed, these individuals have embraced other symbols of defiance.

In Cool Pose: The Dilemmas of Black Manhood in America, Richard Majors and Janet Mancini Billson state that being “cool” is the black man’s way of dealing with racism and discrimination without losing his sanity.

Being cool invigorates a life that would otherwise be degrading and empty. It helps the black male make sense out his life and get what he wants from others. Cool pose brings a dynamic vitality into the black male’s everyday encounters, transforming the mundane into the sublime and making the routine spectacular. (Majors and Billson 1992, 2)

I agree with Majors and Billson. However, I would add that coolness is also a symbol of defiance for the African American male.

EARRINGS AND TATTOOS
Over the past decade, the earring has become increasingly popular among young black men. Why?

There is so much pressure put on black men to conform to one model of black masculinity. Some 45 percent of 744 respondents to the survey of young black males I conducted in 2002 stated that they wore earrings. These respondents were from thirteen to nineteen years of age.

When I entered college in 1985, I was shocked to see that my African American roommate wore an earring. He was unique because at that time earrings had not become accepted. Now it is difficult to find a young black man who does not have one or two earrings. What do these earrings symbolize? I once heard an African American athlete comment that wearing earrings was an African tradition. I have been to Africa three times and the only men I saw wearing earrings were the ones who were trying to emulate African Americans. Young black men began wearing earrings as a symbol of defiance against the conservative white system.

At one point in our recent history, earrings were worn only by women, some homosexual men, and a few hippies. So how did this mostly feminine ornament become transformed into a widely embraced symbol of black masculinity? Donning an earring met one of the fundamental criteria for black masculinity: challenging the system. Earrings remain a taboo in conservative white America. In golf, for instance--a sport that represents the power structure--you will rarely see a player wearing an earring.

I contend that the earring as a symbol of defiance tells the white power structure, “You can’t control me.” When black men wear their hats backwards or to the side, they are making the statement, “I’m not like you and you can’t control me.” As various symbols of defiance have become tolerated, young black men have constantly pushed the envelope. For example, as the stud earring became tolerated by the power structure, the symbol of defiance became more visible. Black men moved from the stud to the hoop earring and from the hoops to two earrings. Michael Jordan’s sporting of the “Genie Hoop” earring is his subtle symbol of defiance and one affirmation of his black maleness. It would be hard to fathom Joe Montana, John Elway, or Wayne Gretsky adorning themselves with such symbols of defiance.

What statement did the reporter Ed Bradley of 60 Minutes make when he started wearing an earring in the mid 1980s? At the time, his wearing an earring on the air was a radical and controversial statement. The earring was Bradley’s way of telling the conservative operation at 60 Minutes: “I may work for you but you can’t control me.”

My mom was disappointed that Denzel Washington continued to sport the earring he wore in the film Training Day. She asked me, "What are these middle-aged and old black men doing wearing earrings? I saw Morgan Freeman with two hoop earrings. What are they doing?"

Although 11.23% of those surveyed stated that they have tattoos, this is substantial since tattoos are outlawed for those under the age of 18. Tattoos have replaced the earring as a symbol of defiance and authenticity for young black men.

As the earring has become surprisingly tolerated by the power structure, young black men have moved to tattoos. A significant majority of NBA players have tattoos. Tattoos were once seen as a representation of defiance only sported by whites in motorcycle clubs, veterans, and backwoods residents. While growing up in McDonough, Georgia, I cannot recall ever seeing a black person with a tattoo. So why have so many young black men appropriated a cultural phenomenon that was foreign to them just a decade ago?

The fact is that young black men need new symbols of defiance to affirm their black maleness. When one tattoo is not enough of a symbol, then young black men will move to multiple tattoos. Some already have. Allen Iverson of the NBA is a representation of this defiance.

What is Iverson attempting to prove with his multiple tattoos? Because he has so many tattoos, his statement must be that he is the ultimate “Bad guy” who cannot be controlled by the system. Perhaps these symbols of defiance are today’s versions of the black-gloved fists of Tommie Smith and John Carlos at the 1968 Olympics. Nevertheless, these visual representations of black masculinity can be counterproductive. Although Iverson can get away with wearing multiple tattoos because he is a multimillionaire, the average young black man limits his vertical mobility when he embraces such symbols of defiance. In order for him to get a job and begin a career as a teacher, police officer, salesperson, marketing representative, accountant, or stockbroker, he will invariably have to prove to his employer that he is the anti-thug. In other words, he has to prove that he is the polar opposite of the gangsta-thug. Whether it is the baggy pants, the bandana, the braids in the hair, the earring, or the tattoo, black men must realize that in certain arenas, there are negative consequences to embracing defiant symbols of black masculinity.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 06:09:52 AM »
people who wear jeans that show a huge piece of the underwear should be shot military style.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 06:12:15 AM »
Someone should tell these fools that they wouldn't even be alive if the white man didn't allow it.  The white man could eradicate every one of them tomorrow if he wanted but he chooses to let them live.  Fuckwits.

This whole "I'm wearing an earring to show you can't control me" completely defeats the supposed 'purpose'.  The fact that you're wearing it proves that they ARE controlling you, dumbass!

I have the utmost respect for both Freeman and Denzel as actors, but - given the state of the Black family in America - they owe me an explanation.  Seriously.  I don't demand much at all, but they owe me this.  

SmallPole

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 06:14:31 AM »
How do we combat this?

we kill the batman

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 06:14:52 AM »
people who wear jeans that show a huge piece of the underwear should be shot military style.

some of us gayn mass and pants are too small
A

MikMaq

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 06:53:24 AM »
you guys sound like my fucking grandparents.  :D

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 08:25:28 AM »
Earrings tend to look stupid on dudes - only saw it on a few and those were bodybuilders or metalheads.
White boys used to play the earring game in the 80ies - at least here in Austria. It was rebel unless you wore it on your right ear which symbolized gay and a bad credit score  :D.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 08:38:04 AM »
This whole "I'm wearing an earring to show you can't control me" completely defeats the supposed 'purpose'.  The fact that you're wearing it proves that they ARE controlling you, dumbass!

I have the utmost respect for both Freeman and Denzel as actors, but - given the state of the Black family in America - they owe me an explanation.  Seriously.  I don't demand much at all, but they owe me this.  

Morgan Freeman is too busy screwing his adopted grand-daughter, who he raised...

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 08:40:09 AM »

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 10:46:35 AM »

white men are good at eradicating people, thats for sure

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 10:48:24 AM »
Got Sportscenter on at work.  Just glanced up and saw that the black guy, Stuart Scott (no relation), is wearing an earring.

The fact that you are watching "SportsCenter" alone qualifies you as a card carrying homosexual.  You don`t need another man with an earring to tell you the same.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 10:49:09 AM »
I didnt see any black people complaining when Jordan used to wear his

Leatherneck

• Getbig IV
  • Still as lean, just as mean, former US Marine
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 10:51:02 AM »
Stuart has been doing this for years and I've always thought it made him look like a clown show. Dan Patrick, Al Michaels, and Bryant Gumbell wouldn't be caught dead on tv looking "pretty."

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 10:51:35 AM »
Morgan Freeman is too busy screwing his adopted grand-daughter, who he raised...
Morgan Freeman is an atheist and probably one of the best Black Men in America.  You oughta pay deference to him for at least trying to elevate your people, not that he enjoys them so much.  ;D

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »
The dude only has one peeper- cut him some slack.
a

True

• Getbig IV
  • Zero Tolerance
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 10:57:06 AM »
"God is an imaginary friend for grown ups".

Couldnt be more true.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 10:57:15 AM »
Morgan Freeman RULES!!!!

True

• Getbig IV
  • Zero Tolerance
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 10:59:07 AM »
Yes he does, yes he does...

And Se7en is one of the greatest movies ever made.

hematocritter

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 11:01:56 AM »
Morgan Freeman is a good man, I won't give him shit for his earring......
but I generally think earrings look like shit on men. Jewelry in general is
a strange thing for men to wear, IMO.