Author Topic: Solution re 5 concentric, superposed discs  (Read 21232 times)

suckmymuscle

Solution re 5 concentric, superposed discs
« on: March 13, 2011, 03:52:25 PM »
  A couple months ago I posted the following problem as a challenge to Ross Erstling to prove he has an IQ of 160:

"A certain gear system consists of 5 concentric, superposed discs: A, B, C, D and E, which are mounted on a solid platform, taken as a stationary reference. The discs have different sizes and spin at different speeds. All the discs spin at constant rates, some clockwise, some anticlockwise. Each disc has a red dot on its surface, and initially all these red dots are not lined up. At a given moment, all the discs start to spin simultaneously, each at its own speed, without any contact between them. It takes 7 minutes for disc A, 13 minutes for disc B, 17 minutes for disc C, 19 minutes for disc D and 23 minutes for disc E to complete a full 360-degree spin. After a certain time, all the red dots were aligned, disc A being in the same position that it was 2 minutes after the discs started to spin, disc B being in the same position that it was 3 minutes after the discs started to spin, disc C being in the same position that it was 4 minutes after the discs started to spin, disc D being in the same position that it was 7 minutes after the discs started to spin, and disc E being the same position that it was 9 minutes after the discs started to spin. How much time elapsed from the moment the discs started to spin until the discs reached that configuration for the first time?"

Since he couldn't solve it, here is the solution by yours truly:

The problem is a tricky one, as most of the information given is irrelevant. The speed and direction of rotation of each disk is irrelevant as well as the fact that each dot is in a different position at the start of the movement, as this would only allow us to determine their relative positions in relation to one another if they had the same starting position as well as speed and turned in the same direction, clockwise or counter-clockwise. The only relevant information given are the amount of time each disk takes to turn - which absolutely makes the speed of rotation of the disks irrelevant. The fact that the time the disks take to spin is also given makes the information that some turn clockwise and others counter-clockwise irrelevant as well, since irrespective they will always be in the same position in the disk compared to the starting point! The final relevant information is that they all start spinning at the same time. We also know that at least 9 minutes have transpired since the disks started spinning, as this information is given. Taking into account all this, the solution is as follows: 9 minutes have transpired from the time the disks started spinning until the red dots on their surfaces were aligned. Explanation: since you know that at least 9 minutes have transpired since the disks started spinning, and since you can manipulate the speed and direction of rotations of the disks as you like and that they have different starting positions, you can align them whenever you want by manipulating the speed and direction of their rotation in the time alloted. This can be done to the intermediary disks, but since they all start spinning at the same moment, the size of the tiniest disk is relevant The only thing you need is to observe that the time it takes the largest disk to be at the minimum time alloted(9 minutes) coinceades with two minutes after the tiniest disk takes to complete a full 360 degree turn, which is 7 minutes. Two minutes after the smallest disks takes a full turn, it is once again at the point it was 2 minutes after it started spinning and that adds up to 9 minutes. Problem solved.

So there you have it, guys. Chalk one up for the gorilla expert! Have a pleasant day. ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Solution.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 03:55:32 PM »
 A couple months ago I posted the following problem as a challenge to Ross Erstling to prove he has an IQ of 160:

"A certain gear system consists of 5 concentric, superposed discs: A, B, C, D and E, which are mounted on a solid platform, taken as a stationary reference. The discs have different sizes and spin at different speeds. All the discs spin at constant rates, some clockwise, some anticlockwise. Each disc has a red dot on its surface, and initially all these red dots are not lined up. At a given moment, all the discs start to spin simultaneously, each at its own speed, without any contact between them. It takes 7 minutes for disc A, 13 minutes for disc B, 17 minutes for disc C, 19 minutes for disc D and 23 minutes for disc E to complete a full 360-degree spin. After a certain time, all the red dots were aligned, disc A being in the same position that it was 2 minutes after the discs started to spin, disc B being in the same position that it was 3 minutes after the discs started to spin, disc C being in the same position that it was 4 minutes after the discs started to spin, disc D being in the same position that it was 7 minutes after the discs started to spin, and disc E being the same position that it was 9 minutes after the discs started to spin. How much time elapsed from the moment the discs started to spin until the discs reached that configuration for the first time?"

Since he couldn't solve it, here is the solution by yours truly:

The problem is a tricky one, as most of the information given is irrelevant. The speed and direction of rotation of each disk is irrelevant as well as the fact that each dot is in a different position at the start of the movement, as this would only allow us to determine their relative positions in relation to one another if they had the same starting position as well as speed and turned in the same direction, clockwise or counter-clockwise. The only relevant information given are the amount of time each disk takes to turn - which absolutely makes the speed of rotation of the disks irrelevant. The fact that the time the disks take to spin is also given makes the information that some turn clockwise and others counter-clockwise irrelevant as well, since irrespective they will always be in the same position in the disk compared to the starting point! The final relevant information is that they all start spinning at the same time. We also know that at least 9 minutes have transpired since the disks started spinning, as this information is given. Taking into account all this, the solution is as follows: 9 minutes have transpired since the disks started spinning. Explanation: since you know that at least 9 minutes have transpired since the disks started spinning, and since you can manipulate the speed and direction of rotations of the disks as you like and that they have different starting positions, you can align them whenever you want by manipulating the speed and direction of their rotation in the time alloted. This can be done to the intermediary disks, but since they all start spinning at the same moment, the size of the tiniest disk is relevant The only thing you need is to observe that the time it takes the largest disk to be at the minimum time alloted(9 minutes) coinceades with two minutes after the tiniest disk takes to complete a full 360 degree turn. Problem solved.

So there you have it, guys. Chalk one up for the expert on gorillas! Have a pleasant day. ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE
You're so full of shit, you make True Adonis seem reasonable.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

suckmymuscle

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 03:56:27 PM »

Do you want to question the solution? I assure you it is correct.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 04:03:18 PM »
  Do you want to question the solution? I assure you it is correct.

SUCKMYMUSCLE
I'm sure it is too since you just copy/pasted it off a website. ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

suckmymuscle

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 04:04:22 PM »
I'm sure it is too since you just copy/pasted it off a website.

If you can find the solution online and post it here, I will delete my account and never post here again. Happy hunting! :D

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Fallsview

• Getbig V
  • Mr. Gulf Coast 1994,95,99
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 04:06:46 PM »
140 is considered genius.  When you get to IQ's like 160, those people seem to have no skills.  Things like bathing, brushing teeth, social behavior, etc. etc. are non-existent.  Unless that is..if they have handlers.

BE/ACT/STAY POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 04:24:20 PM »
 If you can find the solution online and post it here, I will delete my account and never post here again. Happy hunting! :D

SUCKMYMUSCLE
Yes, I'm going to search all over the internet for an answer, find it, and have you go nowhere. ::)

Or I could ask you to prove it is correct.........
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

suckmymuscle

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 04:28:30 PM »
Yes, I'm going to search all over the internet for an answer, find it, and have you go nowhere.

I promise you I will delete my account if you find it and prove it wasn't created by you or an acquaintance using my answer with slightly altered words to make it seem original. The way to do that is to prove the answer was written before I posted mine here. You have my word, and nothing to lose except time.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 04:33:23 PM »

Or I could ask you to prove it is correct.........

You are kidding, right? I could understand this if I had only given the answer, but I gave a whole step-by-step explanation for the answer. It's not my fault that you are too stupid to understand the explanation.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 04:36:45 PM »
 You are kidding, right? I could understand this if I had only given the answer, but I gave a whole step-by-step explanation for the answer. It's not my fault that you are too stupid to understand the explanation.

SUCKMYMUSCLE
I'm busy Googling.....don't bother me.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 04:38:57 PM »
Someone pointed out months ago where suckmymuscle ripped this from.

tendonitis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 04:39:51 PM »
Thank God we have the solution, I'd been losing sleep over this ever since it was posted weeks ago.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 04:41:04 PM »
Someone pointed out months ago where suckmymuscle ripped this from.

Really? Find it online, prove it was posted there before I posted my answer here, and I am gone forever! :)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 04:42:14 PM »
  Really? Find it online, prove it was posted there before I posted my answer here, and I am gone forever! :)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Getbig's search system blows and I'm nowhere near interested enough to waste my time. But rest assured, no one on here thinks you're smarter than all the MIT professors you claim couldn't solve it.

Alexander D

• Getbig IV
  • Johnny Falcon for President
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 04:42:56 PM »

LOL QFT!

suckmymuscle

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 04:43:24 PM »
Getbig's search system blows and I'm nowhere near interested enough to waste my time. But rest assured, no one on here thinks you're smarter than all the MIT professors you claim couldn't solve it.

LOL, the answer is nowhere to be found on Getbig before I posted my solution here...

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Alexander D

• Getbig IV
  • Johnny Falcon for President
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 04:49:22 PM »
THREAD SAVED

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 04:50:17 PM »
 LMAO. What a pompous asshole this guy is.

My I.q. has been tested as high too actually. But i'm not enough of a ccunt to go around bragging about it.

"I have a high i.q. I'm so intelligent...." Fuck off with that bullshit you stupid bitch.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 04:50:47 PM »
THREAD SAVED

I like em' young, bro, but keep them over 18 please. :D

SUCKMYMUSCLE

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 04:58:30 PM »
You do not need an IQ of anything near 160 to calculate this as the key was that you were not given a starting position other than they are not aligned. By doing 5 test calculations on the rotations you are free to determine your starting points, too many people pay attention to the BS which is there for a reason.

Have you tried the science section on Sporcle - im sure you will be occupied endlessly  ::)

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 05:01:56 PM »
Isn't this one of the Sigma Society tests?

suckmymuscle

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 05:03:18 PM »
You do not need an IQ of anything near 160 to calculate this as the key was that you were not given a starting position other than they are not aligned. By doing 5 test calculations on the rotations you are free to determine your starting points, too many people pay attention to the BS which is there for a reason.

Have you tried the science section on Sporcle - im sure you will be occupied endlessly 

This problem was given to a sample of physics and math professors at M.I.T to determine the norm for the "Sigma Test" by Hindemburg Melão Junior, and only 1% was able to solve. The average IQ of M.I.T math and physics professors is 145, so this means that an IQ of 162+ is required to solve it. So an IQ of 160 is an underestimate of what is required to solve this.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 05:04:06 PM »
steriods
A

suckmymuscle

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 05:05:21 PM »
Isn't this one of the Sigma Society tests?

Yes, I took it from the level VII section - and the answer is not online, you can check that -, which is used to determine IQs between 157 and 176. This problem theoretically requires an IQ of 160 to be solved, but in reality requires 162+.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 05:11:43 PM »
Where do you continually come up with 162+? It says nothing of the sort on their website.

Oh and while we're at it........how did that whole Delta thing work out for you?

LMAO.........trolls..... .at least Adonis is consistant. ;)

I'm more interested in the training of Delta Force members. Those guys are he elite of the elite, of the armed forces. Do you have any information about their training?

SUCKMYMUSCLE

I became liutenant-colonel of the elite Delta Force reserve division years ago, but I had to step down a couple years ago when, during a tactical unarmed combat training session, I ripped the rotator cuff muscle of a recruit while teaching him how to give an overhand armlock. I was 330 lbs and apparently too strong for the special forces. There was another reason why I was put in the reserve, though. They couldn't have dismissed me on the accusation that I lacked stamina due to my size, since I could climb cliffs with one hand despite my size, so they argued instead that my size was so overwhelming that it compromised the stealth of any unit I was a part of.

SUCKMYMUSCLE
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!