Author Topic: World's Strongest Man 1977 - Franco's leg practically comes off  (Read 10284 times)

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
Re: World's Strongest Man 1977 - Franco's leg practically comes off
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 07:14:28 AM »
He seems pretty fat there? Are there any more franco off season pics? I always wondered how fat they got in off season back in the days without gh and stuff.

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 07:18:33 AM »
Arrogant asshole.

" the doctor says it's broken, but i'm a chiropractor, so i know this isn't the case"  ::)

Idiot had compound fractures of both bones in his lower leg  ;)
this^. if dislocated you wont see the bone popped out. that shit was broken

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2011, 08:17:28 AM »
He seems pretty fat there? Are there any more franco off season pics? I always wondered how fat they got in off season back in the days without gh and stuff.

Heaviest I've seen him listed was #220ish in the off season, so subtract that from his contest weight, and that will give you an idea. Offhand, I think 20-40lbs heavier was common in some pro's in the 60's-70's.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2011, 08:25:25 AM »
He made something like a 1.2 million in the lawsuit that followed. That suit was also a big reason most of the WSM contests being held outside the U.S.. It was also a reason Bob Zuver of Zuver's Gym left the scene. Franco sued a ton of people after that event.

So he got 1.2 million? Good for Franco!

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2011, 08:39:46 AM »
Yeah, granted legal fees come off of that, but that's still like $5,000,000 in today's money.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2011, 01:19:06 PM »
I stood beside him backstage at an Arnold Classic perhaps a decade ago and the guy was seriously SMALL and frail.

Everybody was just blazing by him and not even looking at him. Poor fucker.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2011, 01:20:18 PM »
I stood beside him backstage at an Arnold Classic perhaps a decade ago and the guy was seriously SMALL and frail.

Everybody was just blazing by him and not even looking at him. Poor fucker.
If it wasn't for Arnold he would have been a pizza guy all of his life....

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2011, 01:25:19 PM »
If it wasn't for Arnold he would have been a pizza guy all of his life....

Truth.

That he won Mr. Olympia is a farce. Not that I dislike the dude. But the man had some SERIOUS flaws to his physique that any judge worth his salt could not overlook.

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2011, 02:47:56 PM »
Arrogant asshole.

" the doctor says it's broken, but i'm a chiropractor, so i know this isn't the case"  ::)

Idiot had compound fractures of both bones in his lower leg  ;)

That was exactly my thought.

I saw a chiropractor for awhile.  I liked the fellow, but he was also full if it where his practice versus a real orthopedist was concerned -- part of the reason I stopped bothering with him.  After weeks of treatments, he shrugged his shoulders and all but said, "Oh, well, I can't do anything else.  Get an MRI and see a REAL doctor."  ::)

Like Zane once said of Franco, the man was a legend in his own mind.  Was he a freaky little fucker?  Yeah.  He had an amazing chest, nice deadlift and a superb back.  But I'll never forget how he bashed Haney and Dorian in the early 90s because they had "space between their arms and lats."  Franco's lat spread would look narrow opposite Lee, and especially Dorian from his contest best and biggest OR his semi-offseason shape.  (In those black-and-whites from '92 AND '93, Dorian's lat spread eclipsed anything seen before or since.  Wide as a T, dry, striated, separated ... as awesome as Ronnie came to be, I still think his back was "best" only in the sense that his rear-double bi was more stunning than Dozzer's.  Dorian displayed wicked detail, but his back flattened out a bit the way he posed in the RDB.

In fairness, had Dorian done the whole "let's squeeze the scapula together really hard, then gradually expand the back but not to full width" as Ronnie did, I could be totally wrong. 

Dorian vs. Ronnie ... in either case, both whipped Franco's best ten times over. 

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2011, 03:43:41 PM »
That was exactly my thought.

I saw a chiropractor for awhile.  I liked the fellow, but he was also full if it where his practice versus a real orthopedist was concerned -- part of the reason I stopped bothering with him.  After weeks of treatments, he shrugged his shoulders and all but said, "Oh, well, I can't do anything else.  Get an MRI and see a REAL doctor."  ::)

Like Zane once said of Franco, the man was a legend in his own mind.  Was he a freaky little fucker?  Yeah.  He had an amazing chest, nice deadlift and a superb back.  But I'll never forget how he bashed Haney and Dorian in the early 90s because they had "space between their arms and lats."  Franco's lat spread would look narrow opposite Lee, and especially Dorian from his contest best and biggest OR his semi-offseason shape.  (In those black-and-whites from '92 AND '93, Dorian's lat spread eclipsed anything seen before or since.  Wide as a T, dry, striated, separated ... as awesome as Ronnie came to be, I still think his back was "best" only in the sense that his rear-double bi was more stunning than Dozzer's.  Dorian displayed wicked detail, but his back flattened out a bit the way he posed in the RDB.

In fairness, had Dorian done the whole "let's squeeze the scapula together really hard, then gradually expand the back but not to full width" as Ronnie did, I could be totally wrong. 

Dorian vs. Ronnie ... in either case, both whipped Franco's best ten times over. 

Yeah, I remember Franco trashing on those guys. As if, Franco.

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2011, 04:02:06 PM »
Yeah, I remember Franco trashing on those guys. As if, Franco.

Franco never had anything good to say about anybody, the short stubborn little f#ck..

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2011, 10:33:13 AM »
Anyone here, especially the older guys know about FRANCO'S divorce from Anita Columbu??  Love to finally hear what happened...

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2011, 10:46:53 AM »
People hate him because hes cocky, and really stubborn too so its kind of merited I guess. He looked his best in P.I. but Arnold was competing so he lost the O that year. Fucking strong like an ant, probably one of the strongest BBs to ever live, top 5. Twice as strong as the current Mr O

I think hes funny. And no more cocky than arnold from what ive seen. Just imo

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2011, 11:07:46 AM »
I think hes funny. And no more cocky than arnold from what ive seen. Just imo

Thats why him and Arnie were so tight, both cocky pricks lol.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2011, 07:38:19 AM »
Franco had a couple of good books out in mid-80's I remember buying "Winning Bodybuilding".

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2011, 01:44:29 PM »
B U M P  :D

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2011, 02:17:06 PM »
Franco never had anything good to say about anybody, the short stubborn little f#ck..

True, that.  He even had the nerve to say he was more defined and more muscular than Arnold circa "Pumping Iron," LOL. 

I will give credit where it's due:  the little man acquitted himself honorably.  But his knotty arms were the lynchpin in any Arnold vs. Franco comparison.

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2011, 04:14:51 PM »
True, that.  He even had the nerve to say he was more defined and more muscular than Arnold circa "Pumping Iron," LOL. 

I will give credit where it's due:  the little man acquitted himself honorably.  But his knotty arms were the lynchpin in any Arnold vs. Franco comparison.

To me he looked his best in that Olympia, but he still wasn`t accurate about being more muscular than Arnie that year. What a crock.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2011, 04:56:30 PM »

word

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2011, 05:02:14 PM »
I guessing that it never went to trial and was settled out of court. Am I right? I just can't imagine any jury giving him a dime if it went to trial.

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2011, 05:14:08 PM »
I guessing that it never went to trial and was settled out of court. Am I right? I just can't imagine any jury giving him a dime if it went to trial.

Naw, I thought that too, but it was a jury trial. Someone years ago posted a lot of stuff related to it, but pulled it down. For years, oldtime powerlifters and strongmen involved in that thing would scrunch their face up at mention of Columbu.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2011, 04:20:19 AM »
I didn't know franco got a payout from wsm

Probably taught them to cover their asses henceforth

Also franco with all due respect to his achievements, strikes one a s the kind of guy that wouldve competed past his prime and scraped the bottom of the barrel, generally becoming an embarrassment, with a big mouth, talking of the past, and generally deluded

Now I understand how he was able to step away from bbing financially. I always thought arnold had set him up in biz with his chiro practice

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2011, 12:41:39 PM »
I didn't know franco got a payout from wsm

Probably taught them to cover their asses henceforth

Also franco with all due respect to his achievements, strikes one a s the kind of guy that wouldve competed past his prime and scraped the bottom of the barrel, generally becoming an embarrassment, with a big mouth, talking of the past, and generally deluded

Now I understand how he was able to step away from bbing financially. I always thought arnold had set him up in biz with his chiro practice

You know he probably would of if he hadn't of got that big payout. Strikes me as that type of guy too..