Author Topic: Frank Zane could beat Tamali  (Read 6768 times)

JohnnyVegas

Re: Frank Zane could beat Tamali
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 05:11:50 PM »
ROFL . . . The Beef hits The Beef's calves twice one week and three times the following. The Beef has good calves, but with 2 1/2 grams a week . . . The Beef's calves  could hang with Ronnie Abston's, or most of todays pros.

The Beef

Only in your dreams gay boi...  ::)

All it is...is a weighted sissy squat.

Find it funny that he thought he developed it.

I had seen that Leg Blaster advertised in the late 70's before Zane promoted it, and then it became associated Zane,  with Zane doing all the promotion of it. But it was clearly around BEFORE Zane used it, does Zane try to claim he developed it??

Please!  ::)

Moosejay

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 05:15:58 PM »

I had seen that Leg Blaster advertised in the late 70's before Zane promoted it, and then it became associated Zane,  with Zane doing all the promotion of it. But it was clearly around BEFORE Zane used it, does Zane try to claim he developed it??

Good question...the one's that were similar were of a circular construct...effective, but not nearly as stable and back-saving as Zane's patented model. I own one myself, as does Gold's Gym in New Haven. Zane uses it in his workouts and I don't think he's done a regular squat in over twenty years.

But Zane DOES have a US Patent...a very hard thing to attain.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 05:21:20 PM »
Good question...the one's that were similar were of a circular construct...effective, but not nearly as stable and back-saving as Zane's patented model. I own one myself, as does Gold's Gym in New Haven. Zane uses it in his workouts and I don't think he's done a regular squat in over twenty years.

But Zane DOES have a US Patent...a very hard thing to attain.

How do you know Zane has a patent on it???? I saw them before Zane used it.

But if there is one in your gym, and it does have a patent number, maybe Zane did get the patent, or maybe Zane bought the rights to the patent......

I am surprised it has a patent though.

Moosejay

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2008, 05:24:46 PM »
How do you know Zane has a patent on it???? I saw them before Zane used it.

But if there is one in your gym, and it does have a patent number, maybe Zane did get the patent, or maybe Zane bought the rights to the patent......

I am surprised it has a patent though.

Yes, Patents are hard to get. I trained at his Zane Experience three years ago, and we used his vigorously.

He did offer that there was a lawsuit over the patent, and, after him fighting and spending great deals of money...he won and the patent was given exclusively to him. So, yes, there was controversy involved.

Some of the versions you refer to were not exact replications of Frank's , thus the crux of his successful argument.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2008, 05:29:56 PM »
Yes, Patents are hard to get. I trained at his Zane Experience three years ago, and we used his vigorously.

He did offer that there was a lawsuit over the patent, and, after him fighting and spending great deals of money...he won and the patent was given exclusively to him. So, yes, there was controversy involved.

Some of the versions you refer to were not exact replications of Frank's , thus the crux of his successful argument.

Ah, I see.

Did  you train with Zane in La Mesa???? How was his gym?? And how did Christine look at 65??  ::)

Moosejay

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2008, 05:35:06 PM »
Ah, I see.

Did  you train with Zane in La Mesa???? How was his gym?? And how did Christine look at 65??  ::)

Yes. It was La Mesa, and, while small, it was big enough for he, myself and my training bpartner. I have been training close to 30 years...learned a lot from top guys...but STILL learned that I was doing my crunches in an inferior way to what he was showing me, and he gave me one little hand position tip that made all the diufference in isolating lats during front pulldowns.

Nutrition was nothing too special, for me, anyhow.

He'd play us some songs on his guitar and flutes afterwards, which was cool. He said he had the original drug programs he wrote in oencil for Arniw when he first came here...he was gonna show 'em to me but then got sidetracked. Would have liked to have seen those.

Saw all his old trophies...very cool.

He liked us, it seemed...as he gave us way more time than we paid for.

He even has you do all poses, and he evluated your pics on computer, and then sends them to you with critiques on disc.

Mike 

Moosejay

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2008, 05:37:39 PM »
Yes. It was La Mesa, and, while small, it was big enough for he, myself and my training bpartner. I have been training close to 30 years...learned a lot from top guys...but STILL learned that I was doing my crunches in an inferior way to what he was showing me, and he gave me one little hand position tip that made all the diufference in isolating lats during front pulldowns.

Nutrition was nothing too special, for me, anyhow.

He'd play us some songs on his guitar and flutes afterwards, which was cool. He said he had the original drug programs he wrote in oencil for Arniw when he first came here...he was gonna show 'em to me but then got sidetracked. Would have liked to have seen those.

Saw all his old trophies...very cool.

He liked us, it seemed...as he gave us way more time than we paid for.

He even has you do all poses, and he evluated your pics on computer, and then sends them to you with critiques on disc.

Mike 

PPS: Gym was good, but small. Good diversity of equipment...heavy dbs if needed (Gunther does train there as well as the other german guy that played in see arnold run)...did not see Christine but talked to her. I hear her hair is all white and too long for her age...but, kumsee, kumsaa.

Armstrong

• Getbig III
  • Victor got screwed.
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2008, 06:17:46 PM »
Taken December 2007

he still looks good.  what did he weigh when he competed?
Everything is BIGGER in Texas!!!

Moosejay

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2008, 06:55:44 PM »
he still looks good.  what did he weigh when he competed?

about 190 at his best...183 for earlier wins...although during his last show in 1983 he tried to come in bigger at 205 and was off muscularity wise...still came in third in O

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2008, 09:31:55 PM »
That is cool you were able to hang with Zane, or course you had to pay but if you have the money why not.

If you ever head back to La Mesa there is a gym called Parkway Fitness, not that far from Zanes place, that has the most antiquated, but excellently maintained, gym equipment anywhere in America.

Has numerous prototype Nautilus, has the old dumbells that have round weights on the ends instead of plates, all the weights have been caibrated/shaved so they are 100% on the money. Unreal gym.

Been around for 40 plus years. Not as old as Stern's Gym, but probably the second oldest gym in CA behnd Stern's.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2008, 09:51:37 PM »
zane's legs are shit and have always been shit.

a few cuts on the quads do not make a set of wheels. hell, i've seen better cuts on a somalian.

i can't believe he patented that stupid contraption. what a gimmick.

good on the old guy for staying in shape, but frank zane is about the last place i'd go looking for advice on developing the legs.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2008, 10:04:38 PM »

a few cuts on the quads do not make a set of wheels. hell, i've seen better cuts on a somalian.

good on the old guy for staying in shape, but frank zane is about the last place i'd go looking for advice on developing the legs.

Zane built a very good pair of legs out of a not so genetically gifted body part. I would think that he knows a thing or two about training them. On the other hand a guy with say arms like Phil Heath who has a great pair of arms (MAY) not have had to do much in the way of experimetnation as far growth.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2008, 01:14:55 AM »
Zane built a very good pair of legs out of a not so genetically gifted body part. I would think that he knows a thing or two about training them. On the other hand a guy with say arms like Phil Heath who has a great pair of arms (MAY) not have had to do much in the way of experimetnation as far growth.

i disagree, but i guess it comes down to opinion. his legs imo were tooth picks. the fact that he has some cuts in the quads has more to do with his level of conditioning, bodyfat and druge regimen than any leg blaster contraption.

i agree with you on heath.

this is the problem with drugs and genetics. most of the time the information provided to a natural trainee from these guys is about as useful as tits on a bull.

imo, from what i know of strength and muscular development, the problem with the 'leg blaster' is the lack of sheer overload that a natural trainee needs, especially if performed at the expense of barbell back squats as zane recommends.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2008, 01:23:25 AM »
i disagree, but i guess it comes down to opinion. his legs imo were tooth picks. the fact that he has some cuts in the quads has more to do with his level of conditioning, bodyfat and druge regimen than any leg blaster contraption.

i agree with you on heath.

this is the problem with drugs and genetics. most of the time the information provided to a natural trainee from these guys is about as useful as tits on a bull.

imo, from what i know of strength and muscular development, the problem with the 'leg blaster' is the lack of sheer overload that a natural trainee needs, especially if performed at the expense of barbell back squats as zane recommends.

The leg blaster is a contraption that he built to make some money and I'm pretty sure he invented it long after retirement. None the less it does work the legs, not sure how it compares to squats. I would like to know what you mean by "the problem with the 'leg blaster' is the lack of sheer overload that a natural trainee needs".

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2008, 01:40:45 AM »

The leg blaster is a contraption that he built to make some money and I'm pretty sure he invented it long after retirement. None the less it does work the legs, not sure how it compares to squats. I would like to know what you mean by "the problem with the 'leg blaster' is the lack of sheer overload that a natural trainee needs".

by holding on to an object for stabilty you are removing a lot of potential work from the prime movers and synergists. plus, there is not as much potential for sheer resistance because of the item's structure.

problem with these gimmicks is that they are created to make training easier and more comfortable which runs contradictory to the intended purpose.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2008, 01:49:07 AM »
by holding on to an object for stabilty you are removing a lot of potential work from the prime movers and synergists. plus, there is not as much potential for sheer resistance because of the item's structure.

problem with these gimmicks is that they are created to make training easier and more comfortable which runs contradictory to the intended purpose.

To a degree, but I think he may has invented this for the purpose of taking some of the pressure off the lower back. Maybe for people with lower back problems. I have always thought the best leg exercise is and always will be the squat, but you do not have to squat to have a great pair of legs. With the leg blaster the prime movers are the thighs and they is being employed with this movement. Of course some of the secondary muscles are not TO A DEGREE and it is debatable that by taking out some of these secondary muscle you can still get respectable leg size. You can never 100% isolate a muscle.

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2008, 02:59:33 AM »

Son, you are new to this board and if you only knew about The Beef and The Beef's calves, you would change you responce.

Now a little education . . . The Zane Leg Blaster was first marketed as the Moore Leg Blaster and Frank bought the rights.

The Beef

Moosejay

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2008, 03:05:37 AM »

Actually, in the 60's and 70's...Zane's legs were considered among the best out there. Better than Arnold's. Where Arnold was known for chest and arms, Zane was known for legs.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2008, 08:33:20 AM »
Actually, in the 60's and 70's...Zane's legs were considered among the best out there. Better than Arnold's. Where Arnold was known for chest and arms, Zane was known for legs.

'zane was known for legs'??

hmmm, sorry moose but i'm going to have to call this one in....

BULLSHIT!

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2008, 12:30:36 PM »
Son, you are new to this board and if you only knew about The Beef and The Beef's calves, you would change you responce.

Now a little education . . . The Zane Leg Blaster was first marketed as the Moore Leg Blaster and Frank bought the rights.

The Beef

BULLSHIT, it was never known as the Moore Leg Blaster-it was simply the Leg Blaster, then Zane called it the Zane Leg Blaster. I have used it before, not a very good workout IMO.

BTW, your buddy Onlyme said you owe him $100 big ones because the "majority" of the PDI shows went off as planned. Now pay up deadbeat.

I have used the "Zane Leg Blaster" at Powerhouse Gym Yucaipa-which that idiot "Armz" owns, and it does not give a very good workout. I did not like it. I prefer a squat any day of the week.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2008, 04:00:45 PM »
PPS: Gym was good, but small. Good diversity of equipment...heavy dbs if needed (Gunther does train there as well as the other german guy that played in see arnold run)...did not see Christine but talked to her. I hear her hair is all white and too long for her age...but, kumsee, kumsaa.

Yeah...her hair is long & all white.  Still beautiful for her age.  I feel she's Franks better half for sure.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2008, 04:05:27 PM »
That is cool you were able to hang with Zane, or course you had to pay but if you have the money why not.

If you ever head back to La Mesa there is a gym called Parkway Fitness, not that far from Zanes place, that has the most antiquated, but excellently maintained, gym equipment anywhere in America.

Has numerous prototype Nautilus, has the old dumbells that have round weights on the ends instead of plates, all the weights have been caibrated/shaved so they are 100% on the money. Unreal gym.

Been around for 40 plus years. Not as old as Stern's Gym, but probably the second oldest gym in CA behnd Stern's.

Owned & operated by Bill Golumbick (used to compete in the late 50's early 60's).

As Johnny Vegas says....it's one hell of a age.  A gym that goes back in time.  When you train in there it's as if time stood still.  Most of the equipment if it's not an original old piece, it was made by Bill.

To this day, i would love to train there again.  Never will happen as I was kicked out for some reasons that I admit that I was wrong.

Bill is an old quack.  Has all of these rules that you need to follow which are ridiculous.

Moosejay

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2008, 04:06:06 PM »

That sounds like a place I will definitely have to check out.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2008, 04:06:56 PM »

Well, I believe he made some adaptations to the orginal design to call it his own.

Moosejay

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2008, 04:07:09 PM »
Owned & operated by Bill Golumbick (used to compete in the late 50's early 60's).

As Johnny Vegas says....it's one hell of a age.  A gym that goes back in time.  When you train in there it's as if time stood still.  Most of the equipment if it's not an original old piece, it was made by Bill.

To this day, i would love to train there again.  Never will happen as I was kicked out for some reasons that I admit that I was wrong.

Bill is an old quack.  Has all of these rules that you need to follow which are ridiculous.

Still sounds like a cool place