Author Topic: Good News From Iraq  (Read 7950 times)

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
Re: Good News From Iraq
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2007, 04:44:26 AM »
Your Air Force? Ha Ha Ha  No wonder your talking sh*t about how great things are in Iraq. YOU have no idea what's happening on the ground in Iraq. Zero credibility.

Air Force is the place to be.................if you desire avoiding the war, while still being in the Military.

MM69 should be ignored. 

Well I am glad you made assumptions on what I did in Iraq.....I mean you are right, I didn't do any convoy security....didn't rebuild roads outside the wire......you know what happens when you assume...
gotta love life

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
  • Porsche 911 Turbo Carerra. My reality, your dream.
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2007, 05:09:05 AM »
Well I am glad you made assumptions on what I did in Iraq.....I mean you are right, I didn't do any convoy security....didn't rebuild roads outside the wire......you know what happens when you assume...

Air Force...........go away. No one wants to listen to your garbage.

Get a job with Faux News..........they could use a few more NON-COMBAT mouth pieces to spew Bloodbath's talking points.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2007, 06:51:26 AM »
Some VA hospitals are nice Dallas ,Tx which I have been to is pretty nice.

army care from reception to active duty is this...ah, rub some dirt on it...it'll get better...you learn from day one not to get hurt and if you do you take what you get and like it...
footloose and fancy free

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2007, 06:59:43 AM »
Doc, U gotta lay off the AF guy. MM spouts the hard line view of the war but he did his part. I had AF guys working for me in Afghanistan..they all did a great job...saw plenty of action etc. Don't give the libs ammo...
L

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2007, 07:46:27 AM »
Doc, U gotta lay off the AF guy. MM spouts the hard line view of the war but he did his part. I had AF guys working for me in Afghanistan..they all did a great job...saw plenty of action etc. Don't give the libs ammo...

Oh Puleaze! So just because you've worked with AF guys who did a good job is reason for Enigma to give an idiot a pass?

I've worked with plenty of Americans who are intelligent and do a good job.
that doesn't mean Bush is any less incompetent.

ps - Are you eating prozac by the handful yet?
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2007, 10:29:34 AM »

headhunter, we've always battled and all, but what is your stance on waterboarding?

And why is waterboarding so bad????

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2007, 10:13:59 PM »
I was talking to one of my good friends who just hit the ground from Iraq on Thursday for R & R.  He pretty much has the same opinion as Enigma about Bush and the war.  :-\

That said, we talked a little about oil and I decided to search for some information about this "pipeline."  In doing so, I came across this story from July 2006.  It talks about what we've constructed overall since the invasion.  Stuff I don't believe I've ever seen on the front page of CNN. 

10 July 2006

United States Helping Rebuild Iraq Despite Terrorists' Efforts
U.S. general provides progress update on restoring key Iraqi infrastructure

By David McKeeby
Washington File Staff Writer

A newly constructed school in Dohuk, Iraq, will serve approximately 840 students and 36 teachers. The project was funded by the Iraqi Relief and Reconstruction Fund and built by a local Iraqi construction company. (U.S. Army Corps of Engineers)

A newly constructed school in Dohuk, Iraq, will serve approximately 840 students and 36 teachers. (U.S. Army Corps of Engineers)Washington – Coalition forces are working closely with Iraqi authorities to rebuild the country’s schools, energy infrastructure and water and sanitation systems. 

Before Saddam Hussein came to power in Iraq, the nation “was the second-most prosperous country in this region.  But during his tyrannical regime, the nation fell to one of the poorest in the region,” said U.S. Army Major General William McCoy at a July 10 press briefing in Baghdad, Iraq. 

McCoy, commander the Gulf Regional Division of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which has played a major role in efforts led by the U.S. State Department to revitalize Iraq, attributed the sharp decline in living standards to the lack of attention given to proper maintenance and operations standards for Iraq’s key facilities.

The extent of this neglect and its effect on the Iraqi people was not appreciated fully by the international community until the dictator was ousted.  The World Bank estimated in 2002 that reconstruction of Iraqi infrastructure would cost approximately $60 billion, but McCoy said the a more accurate long-term estimate – following 30 years of minimal upgrades and deterioration -- is closer to between $80 billion and $100 billion.

Increasingly, he said, the world is recognizing “what a devastating effect Saddam Hussein had on the lives of the people here.”

To date, the United States has provided more than $21 billion toward Iraq’s reconstruction, said McCoy.  More than 2,700 projects already have been completed and an additional 3,400 are under way.

The key to success is sustained investment to repair Iraq’s long-neglected infrastructure, McCoy said.  The U.S. military is working ever more closely at national and local levels “to ensure that the people of Iraq have what they need,” he added.

RECONSTRUCTION SUCCESS STORIES

“Everything imaginable has been undertaken in every sector,” said McCoy, including the construction of new power plants and transmission systems, water treatment and sewage systems, schools, police and fire stations and medical clinics.

Specifically, McCoy reported that coalition forces have:

• Completed refurbishment of many of the 3,000 schools across the country slated for repair by the United States;

• Installed the Advanced First Responder Network, a high-tech data and voice communications system linking police, fire and emergency services across 14 provinces;

Residents of Airport Village and media members observe the village's new water tower. (U.S. Army)• Initiated a series of major capital projects to build new water purification and distribution systems, including a plant scheduled to open in Erbil in August that will provide drinking water for 300,000 area residents; and

• Worked with the Iraqi Ministry of Electricity to complete 150 separate projects to improve consumer power deliveries.

REVITALIZING IRAQ’S ENERGY SECTOR

Equally important to Iraq’s future, the Army Corps of Engineers has helped upgrade oil production and transportation networks to facilitate long-term economic prosperity for the new Iraq, McCoy said

As a result of a $1.7 billion U.S. investment, Iraq now is producing 2.5 million barrels of oil per day and is on track to increase production to 3 million barrels per day by the end of the year, he reported.  In addition, the Corps is helping the Iraqis rehabilitate 20 neglected gas oil separation plants, which will be able to capture an additional 3,000 tons per day of natural gas that currently is being lost in the production process.

In addition, the United States recently completed a two-year project to build a new underground pipeline for Iraq’s North Oil Company.  The pipeline runs beneath the Tigris River and allows oil to flow north for easy export from Kirkuk, Iraq, or southward for refining.

McCoy said that the country’s three successful elections send a message that “Iraq is moving towards its own form of democracy and self-reliance.”  With security improving as the government’s institutions mature, he said “The facilities that we are building with the Iraqis today are but the beginning of the great future this country has.”

REPORT REITERATES NEED FOR SUSTAINED INVESTMENT

In a July 6 report to Congress, the State Department said refurbishing long-neglected systems and building new ones will provide the new government a firm base for future economic growth.

The report states that 2,000 megawatts of electricity now are flowing through Iraq’s electrical grid, 3.7 million Iraqis now enjoy better access to clean water and 5.1 million Iraqis have access to upgraded sewer systems.  The report also states that all large-scale infrastructure projects are scheduled for completion by the end of 2006.

“It has cost the United States billions [of dollars], and it will cost Iraq tens of billions before it is over.  But it is yielding tangible results every day, and every day, as projects are completed, the lives of individual Iraqis are slowly improving,” McCoy said.

A transcript of McCoy’s briefing is available on the Multi-National Force – Iraq Web site.

The full text of the State Department’s report to Congress is available on the department’s Web site.

For more information, see Iraq Update.

http://usinfo.state.gov/xarchives/display.html?p=washfile-english&y=2006&m=July&x=20060710175612idybeekcm0.3198053

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2007, 10:30:34 PM »
So that article states that they are helping Iraq in the "oil sectors" to produce more oil output, we knew that. What about this pipeline search? What did he say on that?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2007, 01:02:36 AM »
So that article states that they are helping Iraq in the "oil sectors" to produce more oil output, we knew that. What about this pipeline search? What did he say on that?

It says a lot more than that.

"Specifically, McCoy reported that coalition forces have:

• Completed refurbishment of many of the 3,000 schools across the country slated for repair by the United States . . . ."

My friend's view is that Bush is evil, we cannot afford to leave, and we are in fact going to profit from their oil. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2007, 01:15:40 AM »
It says a lot more than that.

"Specifically, McCoy reported that coalition forces have:

• Completed refurbishment of many of the 3,000 schools across the country slated for repair by the United States . . . ."

My friend's view is that Bush is evil, we cannot afford to leave, and we are in fact going to profit from their oil. 

I kind of agree with your friend... I would rather fix 3000 schools in this country myself.

That's just me though.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2007, 01:26:10 AM »
I kind of agree with your friend... I would rather fix 3000 schools in this country myself.

That's just me though.

Yeah.  I believe we need to try and stabilize the area and get out.  He also said there is total chaos in Bagdad.   :-\

But he has been gone for a very long time.  He has a beautiful wife and two adorable little kids.  I think that is partly why he is so jaded.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2007, 01:29:50 AM »
Yeah.  I believe we need to try and stabilize the area and get out.  He also said there is total chaos in Bagdad.   :-\

But he has been gone for a very long time.  He has a beautiful wife and two adorable little kids.  I think that is partly why he is so jaded.

Can't say I blame him... If I was gone from my family that long I'd be jaded too..

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2007, 05:06:54 AM »
United States Helping Rebuild Iraq Despite Terrorists' Efforts
U.S. general provides progress update on restoring key Iraqi infrastructure

We cannot rebuild Iraq unless and until the people of Iraq turn against the terrorists en masse. 

As long as they are silent and continue to protect their Muslim 'brothers' who would do them harm, the U.S. cannot and will not succeed in Iraq. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2007, 05:56:54 AM »
We cannot rebuild Iraq unless and until the people of Iraq turn against the terrorists en masse. 

As long as they are silent and continue to protect their Muslim 'brothers' who would do them harm, the U.S. cannot and will not succeed in Iraq. 

No kidding.

Imagine Americans letting 2000 idiots run around with rifles and kill hundreds a day.  I tell you what, i'd be guarding the road in front of my house, and the moment some prick started planting IEDs, i'd be plugging him myself.  So would most other Americans, i think, because we have national pride and we don't want that bullshit here. 

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2007, 06:09:58 AM »
These people do not share or want our values. In fact they despise them. Give them Democracy and in time they will install a Islamic theocracy. It makes them feel secure.  The US  military is good at destroying stuff from a distance, but we are never going to occupy this dirt. Not happening, just a sad waste of life. Oh well, lots of profit being made by the well connected. I cant imagine anyone still willing to die for that at this point.

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2007, 07:36:01 AM »

Even if our military was able to stabilize Iraq's cival war for a time, the second we pull out.........ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE.

In the end, a country like Iraq NEEDS a leader like Saddam in order to stop the sectarian violence.........period. Sad but true.

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2007, 07:45:57 AM »

Are you saying I didn't do my part? Besides.....I hold no malice towards MM.

We are all entitled to our opinion........except Rush Limbaugh (drug addict) and Bill O'Reilly (Mr. sexual harrassment)

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2007, 10:32:37 AM »
Even if our military was able to stabilize Iraq's cival war for a time, the second we pull out.........ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE.

In the end, a country like Iraq NEEDS a leader like Saddam in order to stop the sectarian violence.........period. Sad but true.

These people do not share or want our values. In fact they despise them. Give them Democracy and in time they will install a Islamic theocracy. It makes them feel secure.  The US  military is good at destroying stuff from a distance, but we are never going to occupy this dirt. Not happening, just a sad waste of life. Oh well, lots of profit being made by the well connected. I cant imagine anyone still willing to die for that at this point.

The tribal culture ideology over there is so complicated, few westerners understand it. A few years of occupation won't change thousands of years of blood feuds and bee hive family/community associations. It permeates everything.  If the US pulls out any time soon hell would break loose... and eventually the religious wacks take over.

Just look at how impossible it is for immigrants... those who actually WANT to live in the west... to assimilate into European countries.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2007, 10:57:08 AM »

I was talking to a Syrian last week who said EXACTLY The Above! I figure hes got a lot better handle on the reality of the situation than any westerners.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2007, 12:41:24 PM »
I was talking to a Syrian last week who said EXACTLY The Above! I figure hes got a lot better handle on the reality of the situation than any westerners.

I've been saying that for years... too bad no one on this side of the planet wanted to hear it.

*sigh*

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2007, 01:13:14 PM »
The tribal culture ideology over there is so complicated, few westerners understand it. A few years of occupation won't change thousands of years of blood feuds and bee hive family/community associations. It permeates everything.  If the US pulls out any time soon hell would break loose... and eventually the religious wacks take over.

Take a trip to an Arab country.  Even in the more progressive areas, you've still got those packs of men with the red-and-white checkerboard headrags patrolling on foot and by car looking for violations of their little religious laws. 

Now, the worst I ever saw in Dubai was them harrassing women for not having their veils or them making newsstand owners black out (with magic marker) all the T&A shots in the mags, but still, that's bullshit!   But if that's what's happening in the UAE and Kuwait in plain site of Westerners, then I absolutely believe the stories of women from other countries claiming to have been raped and beaten by these 'religious' thugs.   

In other words, the only thing these people understand is the butt of a rifle over the head.  If we want to change their society, we'll have to do it by force...and I don't think anyone wants to conceptualize the amount of bloodshed that would require over the next 100 years.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2007, 01:42:48 PM »
I think the truth is THEY will take US over by outbreeding Westerners, and using our own democratic systems against us. They are just beginning to understand this is even more effective, and cheaper than than terrorism.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2007, 10:31:33 AM »
Afghan Government, Coalition Aid Flood Victims
Rain and melting snow caused rivers and creeks to rise, stranding
more than 200 Afghans.

Combined Press Information Center
Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan
JALALABAD AIRFIELD, Afghanistan, April 3, 2007 — The Laghman provincial government, Afghan National Security Forces and Coalition partners provided vital humanitarian assistance to flood victims in northeastern Afghanistan, March 31-April 1.
The relief efforts came in the wake of severe flooding to the south of the provincial capital of Mehtar Lam. The flooding, which filled some areas with waist-high water, stranded around 200 Afghan civilians and left many without food, dry clothing or shelter.

"My soldiers felt very good about the opportunity to deliver food, blankets and clothing in such a time of need.”
Army Lt. Col. Steven Gilbert,
the commander of Task Force Iron Gray.

Gov. Gulab Mangal of Laghman and Afghan National Security Forces spearheaded efforts to house villagers displaced by the flooding. Afghanistan International Transportation helicopters rescued around 150 stranded citizens.

Connecticut National Guardsmen from Task Force Iron Gray and members of the Mehtar Lam Provincial Reconstruction Team, meanwhile, assisted Mangal and ANSF in the relief efforts.

Islamic Republic of Afghanistan government and Coalition forces delivered food items including prepared meals, rice, beans and water. They distributed clothing articles such as jackets, gloves, sweaters, socks and gloves as well as tarps and blankets to the Qhargahe District Center for distribution through the Red Crescent.

Rain and melting snow in eastern Afghanistan has caused rivers and creeks to rise above normal levels prompting the flooding. The allied effort brought lifesaving relief to dozens of Afghan families imperiled by the flooding. Coalition leaders praised the decisive efforts of Afghan government leaders during the crisis.

“Governor Mangal did an excellent job of coordinating all of the rescue and relief operations,” said Army Lt. Col. Steven Gilbert, the commander of Task Force Iron Gray. “He demonstrated how effective the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan is with taking care of its people.”

“As Coalition forces are here to help the people of Afghanistan we did everything in our power to render assistance when Governor Mangal called,” Gilbert added. “I am very pleased with evacuating the flood victims and to arrange for the helicopters to assist in the rescue of so many citizens of Laghman. My soldiers felt very good about the opportunity to deliver food, blankets and clothing in such a time of need.”

http://goodnewsiraq.com/index2.htm

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2007, 10:51:36 AM »
5 years of fighting a war there, and we chip in some blankets to those of the nation we have crippled witth war. 

Good on ya, mate!

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2007, 11:25:57 AM »
Someone is undoubtedly furiously trying to discredit the web site.   :)  This certainly helps prove the point we've been trying to make about CNN (and other outlets) failing to report good news from Iraq. 

could not agree more