Author Topic: Good News From Iraq  (Read 7944 times)

Decker

• Getbig V
Re: Good News From Iraq
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2007, 11:39:31 AM »
Afghan Government, Coalition Aid Flood Victims
Rain and melting snow caused rivers and creeks to rise, stranding
more than 200 Afghans.

Combined Press Information Center
Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan
JALALABAD AIRFIELD, Afghanistan, April 3, 2007 — The Laghman provincial government, Afghan National Security Forces and Coalition partners provided vital humanitarian assistance to flood victims in northeastern Afghanistan, March 31-April 1.
The relief efforts came in the wake of severe flooding to the south of the provincial capital of Mehtar Lam. The flooding, which filled some areas with waist-high water, stranded around 200 Afghan civilians and left many without food, dry clothing or shelter.

"My soldiers felt very good about the opportunity to deliver food, blankets and clothing in such a time of need.”
Army Lt. Col. Steven Gilbert,
the commander of Task Force Iron Gray.

Gov. Gulab Mangal of Laghman and Afghan National Security Forces spearheaded efforts to house villagers displaced by the flooding. Afghanistan International Transportation helicopters rescued around 150 stranded citizens.

Connecticut National Guardsmen from Task Force Iron Gray and members of the Mehtar Lam Provincial Reconstruction Team, meanwhile, assisted Mangal and ANSF in the relief efforts.

Islamic Republic of Afghanistan government and Coalition forces delivered food items including prepared meals, rice, beans and water. They distributed clothing articles such as jackets, gloves, sweaters, socks and gloves as well as tarps and blankets to the Qhargahe District Center for distribution through the Red Crescent.

Rain and melting snow in eastern Afghanistan has caused rivers and creeks to rise above normal levels prompting the flooding. The allied effort brought lifesaving relief to dozens of Afghan families imperiled by the flooding. Coalition leaders praised the decisive efforts of Afghan government leaders during the crisis.

“Governor Mangal did an excellent job of coordinating all of the rescue and relief operations,” said Army Lt. Col. Steven Gilbert, the commander of Task Force Iron Gray. “He demonstrated how effective the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan is with taking care of its people.”

“As Coalition forces are here to help the people of Afghanistan we did everything in our power to render assistance when Governor Mangal called,” Gilbert added. “I am very pleased with evacuating the flood victims and to arrange for the helicopters to assist in the rescue of so many citizens of Laghman. My soldiers felt very good about the opportunity to deliver food, blankets and clothing in such a time of need.”

http://goodnewsiraq.com/index2.htm

That is a nice story.  But what is more newsworthy?  15 headless bodies found in an abandoned Iraqi military base or the blanket story?  Which headline sells more papers?  http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/iraq/article422411.ece

If you had relatives serving in Iraq, would you want to hear about the state of violence in the area or that gloves and socks were handed out?

The humanitarian effort on our part is expected.  It's fluff news.  The numerous killings and other horrors are hard news stories that people pay attention to.

Frankly, I don't get up in the morning thinking, "I wonder what good things are going on...in Iraq?", rather I think, "I sure as hell hope the area isn't destabilized to the point of region-wide war".

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2007, 11:41:28 AM »
That is a nice story.  But what is more newsworthy?  15 headless bodies found in an abandoned Iraqi military base or the blanket story?  Which headline sells more papers?  http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/iraq/article422411.ece

If you had relatives serving in Iraq, would you want to hear about the state of violence in the area or that gloves and socks were handed out?

The humanitarian effort on our part is expected.  It's fluff news.  The numerous killings and other horrors are hard news stories that people pay attention to.

Frankly, I don't get up in the morning thinking, "I wonder what good things are going on...in Iraq?", rather I think, "I sure as hell hope the area isn't destabilized to the point of region-wide war".

I want to hear all of it, good and bad.  I have lots of friends in the military, including my closest friend who is in Iraq, along with his son.  I want their family members to hear about good news too. 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2007, 11:45:47 AM »
I want to hear all of it, good and bad.  I have lots of friends in the military, including my closest friend who is in Iraq, along with his son.  I want their family members to hear about good news too. 
My point is, is that this is the free market at work in news.  Like it or not, newspapers/centers have one responsibility--the bottom line.  They publish what sells.  Headless bodies sell...moreso than our expected level of humanitarian aid.

These stories are the fruits of our deregulated free market laissez faire capitalist system applied to the news game.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2007, 11:58:31 AM »
My point is, is that this is the free market at work in news.  Like it or not, newspapers/centers have one responsibility--the bottom line.  They publish what sells.  Headless bodies sell...moreso than our expected level of humanitarian aid.

These stories are the fruits of our deregulated free market laissez faire capitalist system applied to the news game.

Your point is consistent with the point I've tried to make on this board (and elsewhere):  the media cherry picks news about the war and deliberately ignores good news to try and influence public opinion.  Is some of that related to the fact that bad news sells?  Yes.  That's why a disproportionate amount of the news in general is "bad."   

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2007, 12:39:31 PM »
Your point is consistent with the point I've tried to make on this board (and elsewhere):  the media cherry picks news about the war and deliberately ignores good news to try and influence public opinion.  Is some of that related to the fact that bad news sells?  Yes.  That's why a disproportionate amount of the news in general is "bad."   

I'm curious, do you have anything you can show us to back up that assertion that hey are deliberately trying to influence public opinion or is it just a conclusion of yours?

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2007, 12:41:29 PM »
I agree with your point entirely except for the ulterior motive part.  It is not a liberal plot designed to undermine the war on terror.  Just like network TV and movies are not liberal ploys for conditioning the american mind to 'liberalism', it's a matter of what sells and what does not sell.

Juicy stories sell.  Kittens and gloves do not.  If the converse were true, we'd be up to our asses in stories about Akhbar opening a Subway in downtown Baghdad or the like.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2007, 12:56:27 PM »
I'm curious, do you have anything you can show us to back up that assertion that hey are deliberately trying to influence public opinion or is it just a conclusion of yours?

You mean starting this thread wasn't good enough?  http://goodnewsiraq.com/index2.htm  You will not see these stories on CNN.com. 

You read the news just like I do.  These stories don't get covered in the mainstream media. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2007, 01:01:16 PM »
I agree with your point entirely except for the ulterior motive part.  It is not a liberal plot designed to undermine the war on terror.  Just like network TV and movies are not liberal ploys for conditioning the american mind to 'liberalism', it's a matter of what sells and what does not sell.

Juicy stories sell.  Kittens and gloves do not.  If the converse were true, we'd be up to our asses in stories about Akhbar opening a Subway in downtown Baghdad or the like.

I don't think it's a liberal plot designed to undermine the war on terror.  I think we have a lot of people in the media like that Michael Ware guy from CNN "reporting" the news.

The movies are another issue entirely.  I'll save my rant on Hollywood for another thread.   :)

But yes, juicy stories sell.  Bad news sells.  Murder beats kittens almost every time.   :-\     

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2007, 01:36:32 PM »
Is it worth dying over or a life long injury? Not to me. This war is a dead end. I cant believe anyone can have a commitment or care about blankets. This is about world oil supply security not humanitarian drama.
If your going to give your life away do it for something worthwhile.  I just dont see the point.
Lets be real about what this is for and put it in perspective. Blankets?

Drill rigs, pumps, pipelines, barrels per Hr/ Day, $$z, ....is more accurate.

Im not trying to be crass, but dont sacrifice yourself for big corprate profits w/ out knowing it.
All the patriotic drivel does not change the balance sheets of Exon, Conoco, Nat Oilwell Varco, Neighbors of Arabia...   

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2007, 04:42:08 PM »
You mean starting this thread wasn't good enough?  http://goodnewsiraq.com/index2.htm  You will not see these stories on CNN.com. 

You read the news just like I do.  These stories don't get covered in the mainstream media. 

So the fact that these stories don't get reported "Proves" your assertion?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2007, 04:57:35 PM »
So the fact that these stories don't get reported "Proves" your assertion?

"Supports" my opinion

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2007, 08:56:51 PM »
"Supports" my opinion

that's the difference in some of these debates with 9/11.  You aren't labeling your opinion as fact or air tight conclusions. 

The argument method or pattern i see with these 9/11 CT'ers is that they would say that because CNN doesn't report good news from Iraq that it PROVES there is a bias where you say it supports your opinion.

Personally, i think it's just all about viewers and advertising revenue. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2007, 08:59:58 PM »
cnn did a piece on iraqi women getting educations because so many of them are widows.

the piece was boring.

just a bunch of older women reading and complaining.

i guess its good news, but i am sure their ratings took a dump.  you have to start from the point: is CNN (and other media) a business first, or a responsible ethical reporting machine, first?

If they're a business, then they cover what people will keep on the TV.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2007, 09:03:32 PM »
cnn did a piece on iraqi women getting educations because so many of them are widows.

the piece was boring.

just a bunch of older women reading and complaining.

i guess its good news, but i am sure their ratings took a dump.  you have to start from the point: is CNN (and other media) a business first, or a responsible ethical reporting machine, first?

If they're a business, then they cover what people will keep on the TV.

I wonder, does FOX report bad news?

Another thing to consider, there isn't any significant good news coming out of Iraq that out weighs "5 US soldiers dying from a IED" or "100 die in local market from suicide bomber."

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2007, 09:07:55 PM »
FOX reports on the bravery of our men and women, in the face of enemy insurgents and dems (altho powerless for the last 6 years), they blame for the last 5 years of failures.

It's rubbish.  I used to be like that and watch FOX 4-5 hours a day as I worked.  I remember my mindset - I blanked out the other side and believed in Bush - the man and the instution. That figurehead persona really made me ignore evidence and even common sense.  Sad.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2007, 09:12:06 PM »
that's the difference in some of these debates with 9/11.  You aren't labeling your opinion as fact or air tight conclusions. 

The argument method or pattern i see with these 9/11 CT'ers is that they would say that because CNN doesn't report good news from Iraq that it PROVES there is a bias where you say it supports your opinion.

Personally, i think it's just all about viewers and advertising revenue. 

Right.  Just my opinion.  I'm not in the newsrooms taking part in programming discussions.  I'm making assumptions.  That conspiracy crap is just plain stupid.  My daughter and I were just talking about it last night.  One of her classmates believes in this stuff.  He's a little nuts.  He believes the passengers of flights 77 and 93 are still alive.   :-\  

I think a large part of what the news covers is based on revenue and what they think people want to hear.  Re the war, they know there is significant opposition to the war, which I think explains in part why they refuse to report the good with the bad.  Of course they have to tell us when someone gets blown up, but that's only part of the story.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2007, 09:16:22 PM »
 That conspiracy crap is just plain stupid.  My daughter and I were just talking about it last night.  One of her classmates believes in this stuff.  He's a little nuts.  He believes the passengers of flights 77 and 93 are still alive.   :-\  

Your daughter's classmate probably wonders why the Pentagon has 85 videotapes showing the flight 77 crash and won't release one. 

Why?

Because *something* exploded at 9:32 AM, stopping dozens of clocks in the building, a full 5 minutes before that plane arrived.

I would ask you to tell us why all those clocks stopped, 5 minutes before the plane hit, but i already know you can't answer that ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2007, 09:18:57 PM »
Your daughter's classmate probably wonders why the Pentagon has 85 videotapes showing the flight 77 crash and won't release one. 

Why?

Because *something* exploded at 9:32 AM, stopping dozens of clocks in the building, a full 5 minutes before that plane arrived.

I would ask you to tell us why all those clocks stopped, 5 minutes before the plane hit, but i already know you can't answer that ;)

::)  It's a stupid theory.  Take it to another thread.   ::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2007, 09:23:25 PM »
::)  It's a stupid theory.  Take it to another thread.   ::)

You brought it up.

I just stated facts, not theories.  I can show you the clocks, if you want.  They're an interesting piece of the puzzle... what else would stop them, 5 minutes before a plane hit? 

Weird that you can call it stupid, but can't answer my question ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2007, 11:19:50 PM »
You brought it up.

Ozmo brought it up.  ::)  But you conclusively established today that you have a reading comprehension problem. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2007, 05:24:11 AM »
Ozmo brought it up.  ::)  But you conclusively established today that you have a reading comprehension problem. 

you brought up flight 77.

i figured if you're going to call the CTers stupid, you might as well know what you're calling stupid.

Owning of the century comes when you learn the truth about 911.  You're gonna feel like the world's biggest douche.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2007, 07:13:30 AM »
you brought up flight 77.

i figured if you're going to call the CTers stupid, you might as well know what you're calling stupid.

Owning of the century comes when you learn the truth about 911.  You're gonna feel like the world's biggest douche.

THe "Truth"? OK, fill me in, or point me to a consice summary of this plot. I really don't buy anything other than what I saw w/ my own 2 eyes, but I'll hear you out 240. What the hell's the conspiracy story?
At this point I'm not so trusting of any of Bush's motives.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2007, 07:51:17 AM »
THe "Truth"? OK, fill me in, or point me to a consice summary of this plot. I really don't buy anything other than what I saw w/ my own 2 eyes, but I'll hear you out 240. What the hell's the conspiracy story?
At this point I'm not so trusting of any of Bush's motives.

The theory is that Bush let it happen/knew it would happen, and allowed it.

Why?

Cheney and haliburton has negotiated with taleban thru the 90s about an oil pipeline in afghanistan.  (energy and us govt are very closely connected, which is very important.)

Taleban took millions from us, then signed with a south american company for their oil.  This hurt the US bad.

Bush knew that an attack attributed to bin laden (who was a CIA asset from the 80s thru late 90s that we know of), would justify a war in afghanistan.  (and put troops in position for an attack on iraq later). 

aug 5- german tells bush that ISR told them an attack was coming.  Date, target, and 5 of the hijackers names.
aug 6- monster report from head of FBI - he rushes to crawford TX on an emergency trip.  Condi accepts his report then never reads it. 

If you're honestly curious, check out Loose Change - a "Intro to 911"
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7866929448192753501&q=loose+change&hl=en

It's not perfect, but contains a few "smoking guns", and really makes you think.  It avoids politics - and focuses on evidence.  And some of the evidence, wow...

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2007, 09:35:11 AM »
...I think a large part of what the news covers is based on revenue and what they think people want to hear.  Re the war, they know there is significant opposition to the war, which I think explains in part why they refuse to report the good with the bad.  Of course they have to tell us when someone gets blown up, but that's only part of the story.
I would say that some 60-70% of the country supported Mr. Bush and the Iraqi invasion at the outset.  It was only when the occupation fell apart shortly after the attack that the staunch defenders of the president started to blame media bia.  So it must follow that editorial boards were not, in choosing stories to publish, playing to those opposing the war b/c the majority of the country still supported the war.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2007, 10:16:20 AM »
I would say that some 60-70% of the country supported Mr. Bush and the Iraqi invasion at the outset.  It was only when the occupation fell apart shortly after the attack that the staunch defenders of the president started to blame media bia.  So it must follow that editorial boards were not, in choosing stories to publish, playing to those opposing the war b/c the majority of the country still supported the war.

I agree public support for the war eroded after the invasion and after two near-unanimous Congressional resolutions supporting the war after it started. 

But I have always been a media critic.  I have friends in the media, but I'm not a fan of the media in general.  They constantly manipulate the news.  One example is playing the race card.  If there is a criminal matter that has any element of race involved, they will fan the flames as much as possible, telling us the racial makeup of the jury, etc.  Can you tell me the racial makeup of the Scooter Libby jury?  (I have no idea, because the media didn't tell me.)  If Scooter Libby was black, I bet we'd know how many black jurors were on the panel.

Climbing off soap box . . . .