Author Topic: Obama picks Bible for inauguration, but what verse?  (Read 3644 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Obama picks Bible for inauguration, but what verse?
« on: December 29, 2008, 04:08:09 PM »
Much to the chagrin of paranoid anti-religious extremists everywhere.  And those who thought he was Muslim.   :)

Obama picks Bible for inauguration, but what verse?
By Alan Silverleib
CNN

(CNN) -- While President-elect Barack Obama will certainly be making history when he takes the oath of office on January 20, he'll also be repeating it -- by placing his hand on the same Bible that Abraham Lincoln used during the inauguration of 1861.

The 1861 Lincoln Inaugural Bible against the backdrop of the Main Reading Room of the Library of Congress.

The Constitution does not require presidents to be sworn in on a Bible, though almost every chief executive since George Washington has chosen to do so. Presidents have differed greatly, however, on the question of which passage the Bible should be opened to during the swearing-in ceremony.

It brings up the question of what -- if any -- biblical passage Obama will emphasize.

If what is past is prologue, as Shakespeare famously wrote (a quote now engraved in front of the National Archives), he might opt for the popular presidential theme of repentance.

According to Gleaves Whitney, a presidential historian at Michigan's Grand Valley State University, II Chronicles 7:14 was used for three swearing-in ceremonies: "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

In this season of economic distress, however, the president-elect may prefer to follow the lead of Franklin Roosevelt. When FDR first took the oath of office in 1933, the country was reeling under the crushing weight of the Great Depression.

"Only a foolish optimist can deny the dark realities of the moment," Roosevelt said in his inaugural address.

Urging his fellow Americans to lend a helping hand, Roosevelt had the Bible opened to I Corinthians 13: "And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity."

Obama campaigned as someone who would strive to bridge the nation's bitter partisan divide. "We have never been a collection of red states and blue states," Obama said in his Election Night victory speech. "We are, and always will be, the United States of America."

If Obama wants to stress that theme again on January 20, he may prefer to follow Bill Clinton's lead from the 1997 inaugural and open the Bible to Isaiah 58:12: "Thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations, and thou shalt be called the repairer of the breach."

Questions of war and peace are always in the back of any president's mind. Obama campaigned in part on a promise to end America's war in Iraq.

Shortly after winning the White House on a similar pledge to end another divisive conflict -- this one in Vietnam -- Richard Nixon took the oath with a family Bible opened to Isaiah 2:4: "And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more."

With the polls showing an overwhelming majority of Americans convinced the country is on the wrong track, Obama might hint at a back-to-basics message by doing what Woodrow Wilson did in 1913. During his first inaugural, Wilson opened the Bible to Psalm 119, which concludes "I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments."

Speaking of a return to basics, what about America's first president? What did George Washington do?

Almost 220 years ago, in 1789, Washington opened the King James version of a Masonic Bible to Genesis 49:13 -- "Zebulun shall dwell at the haven of the sea; and he shall be for a haven of ships; and his border shall be unto Zidon."

Was America's first president trying to send a deep, profound message?

Not exactly. It turns out that, for the nation's first inaugural, the Bible was hastily opened to a completely random page. The same thing was done 72 years later when Lincoln was sworn in.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/24/inauguration.scripture/index.html

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: Obama picks Bible for inauguration, but what verse?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 04:48:40 PM »
Will the insanity ever stop?

What's with Obama and his constant Bible thumping?

What a fcuking clown.
As empty as paradise

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 05:03:55 PM »
Will the insanity ever stop?

What's with Obama and his constant Bible thumping?

What a fcuking clown.

...Obama is an atheist. All intelligent people are.

Obama, despite the fact that his mother was an atheist and he himself was a-religious all through his life, has been going to church religiously (pun intended) ever since he first decided to get involved in public office, ... since he's been elected he hasn't attended any church services... he goes to the gym instead.

He's using Lincoln's bible... hasn't Lincoln just recently been outed as a lifelong homosexual. He's about as Christian as Da Vinci was.

The Luke

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 05:08:25 PM »

Obama, despite the fact that his mother was an atheist and he himself was a-religious all through his life, has been going to church religiously (pun intended) ever since he first decided to get involved in public office, ... since he's been elected he hasn't attended any church services... he goes to the gym instead.

He's using Lincoln's bible... hasn't Lincoln just recently been outed as a lifelong homosexual. He's about as Christian as Da Vinci was.

The Luke

All intelligent people are atheists?  What's your explanation for Dr. Ben Carson, arguably the leading neurosurgeon in the world?  Is he intelligent? 

A pediatric neurosurgeon of world-renown, and a mentor to countless individuals of all ages, Benjamin S. Carson, Sr., M.D., carries with him his message of hope for and faith in the human spirit and the remarkable ability of the human brain. To all who say that circumstances in their lives have made personal success impossible, Dr. Carson, director of pediatric neurosurgery at the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, is living proof that perseverance, prayer, and self-respect, combined with a devotion to acquiring knowledge, can overcome any obstacles in one's way.

http://www.drbencarson.com/

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »

The Luke
again your ignorance astounds me...Again darwin, mendel among many others where and are religious but maybe you dont consider them to be intelligent? Its the intelligent person who understands that they dont understand not that believe they have it all figured out. Sinning is part of being human if lincoln was homosexual that doesnt exclude him from benig a christian.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 05:22:39 PM »
All intelligent people are atheists?  What's your explanation for Dr. Ben Carson, arguably the leading neurosurgeon in the world?  Is he intelligent? 

again your ignorance astounds me...Again darwin, mendel among many others where and are religious but maybe you dont consider them to be intelligent? Its the intelligent person who understands that they dont understand not that believe they have it all figured out. Sinning is part of being human if lincoln was homosexual that doesnt exclude him from benig a christian.

...should I list EVERY OTHER scientist in the world so we can properly weigh the evidence?

The Luke

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 05:28:14 PM »

...should I list EVERY OTHER scientist in the world so we can properly weigh the evidence?

The Luke

No.  Just answer the question.  You said the following:

I asked you if Dr. Ben Carson is intelligent.  Is he? 

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 05:38:30 PM »
I asked you if Dr. Ben Carson is intelligent.  Is he? 

...I don't know.
If he really is an accomplished intellectual, then I'd be concerned that his religiosity might be a symptom of mental illness. Many intelligent people who suffer from schizophrenia suffer occassional bouts of religious mania (among other types of mania).

What I do know is that Obama is not religious...

The Luke

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 05:43:03 PM »
...I don't know.
If he really is an accomplished intellectual, then I'd be concerned that his religiosity might be a symptom of mental illness. Many intelligent people who suffer from schizophrenia suffer occassional bouts of religious mania (among other types of mania).

The Luke
lol your ignorance knows no bounds

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 05:46:54 PM »
...I don't know.

The Luke

"If he really is an accomplished intellectual"??  Dude.  He's arguably the leading brain surgeon in the history of the world.  Here is some of what he has to say about his faith:  

"A committed Christian, Dr. Carson places the values of God and family above all other considerations in his life. He turns for guidance to the word of God, and to his family and church community for strength and the moral compass to keep steady in his endeavors and at peace."  http://www.drbencarson.com/faith.html

I guess you consider him mentally ill?    

Regarding Obama, your comments fly in the face of Obama's repeated attempts to make his religious faith a central part of his campaign and presidency.  

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 05:51:16 PM »
who cares what bible he uses or what verse he picks. 

does it really make any difference?

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 05:51:37 PM »
lol your ignorance knows no bounds

...do you have any idea how few top academics/intellectuals are religious?

Religiosity and IQ are inversely related... this is a medical fact. Similarly few adults believe in Santa Claus.

"If he really is an accomplished intellectual"??  Dude.  He's arguably the leading brain surgeon in the history of the world.  Here is some of what he has to say about his faith:

"Blah... blah... blah..."

I guess you consider him mentally ill?    

Regarding Obama, your comments fly in the face of Obama's repeated attempts to make his religious faith a central part of his campaign and presidency.  

...has this guy published a lot of research? Or is his website the only source of your information?

If what you say is true, and he is a top neurosurgeon, he's the exception (extreme exception) to the rule.

The Luke

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 05:58:35 PM »

Religiosity and IQ are inversely related... this is a medical fact. Similarly few adults believe in Santa Claus.

...has this guy published a lot of research? Or is his website the only source of your information?

If what you say is true, and he is a top neurosurgeon, he's the exception (extreme exception) to the rule.

The Luke

You'll have to do your own homework.  Read up on him.  I gave you a head start.  I just wanted to see how extreme your views are.  You can't possibly call him unintelligent, or mentally ill, and retain any semblance of credibility. 

So now you're backing off your initial statement that "all" intelligent people are atheists?  Now it's a "few" "top academics/intellectuals" who are religious?  Which is it? 

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 06:13:50 PM »
So now you're backing off your initial statement that "all" intelligent people are atheists?  Now it's a "few" "top academics/intellectuals" who are religious?  Which is it? 

...you're right. I should have explained that I was generalizing 99.9% to mean "ALL".

It's not "ALL" it's 99.9% of highly intelligent people. My bad.

Just so long as we can all agree that Obama hasn't been to any church services since he won the election. So long as we all realise that Obama's churchgoing history is restricted to the interval between him first needing the popular vote and him no longer needing votes.

That speaks for itself.

The Luke

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 06:14:38 PM »

The Luke
LOL and you know for a fact that its IQ and no other factor? If you where intelligent you would know that you cant derive causation from correlation brain child.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 06:23:13 PM »
...you're right. I should have explained that I was generalizing 99.9% to mean "ALL".

It's not "ALL" it's 99.9% of highly intelligent people. My bad.

Just so long as we can all agree that Obama hasn't been to any church services since he won the election. So long as we all realise that Obama's churchgoing history is restricted to the interval between him first needing the popular vote and him no longer needing votes.

That speaks for itself.

The Luke

I guess I could ask you about other top minds in the country and in our history, but you completely fumbled the first intellectual I gave you, who is one of the top minds in the world, so I'm certain it would be a waste of time.  We could start talking about presidents, members of Congress, doctors, lawyers, professors, judges, etc., etc., but they would probably fall outside of the 99.9 percent who are atheist, or be classified as mentally ill.   

You really have concocted quite a bit.  Regarding Obama, here is a sample of what he has to say about his faith:

I am a Christian, and I am a devout Christian. I believe in the redemptive death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I believe that that faith gives me a path to be cleansed of sin and have eternal life. But most importantly, I believe in the example that Jesus set by feeding the hungry and healing the sick and always prioritizing the least of these over the powerful. I didn’t ‘fall out in church’ as they say, but there was a very strong awakening in me of the importance of these issues in my life. I didn’t want to walk alone on this journey. Accepting Jesus Christ in my life has been a powerful guide for my conduct and my values and my ideals.

. . .

http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/20080306_news_flash_obama_clinton_claim_christian_faith/

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 06:31:21 PM »

S

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 06:40:06 PM »
LOL and you know for a fact that its IQ and no other factor? If you where intelligent you would know that you cant derive causation from correlation brain child.

Again...

I was smart enough to out Obama as a faux Christian on this very board even before the election. Ask Mcway, he thought I was stupid to profess that Obama was pandering to Christians. (I'll try to dig up the thread).

Stupider like a fox...

Regarding causation and correlation, I believe it is causal... causality will also express itself as a correlative relation.

Retards believe whatever they are told.
Children believe in Santa and Jebus.
Some adults believe in Jebus even after they outgrow Santa.
Critical thinkers believe in neither Jebus nor Santa.
Intelligent people (northwards of 130 IQ) are almost exclusively atheists.

Obama professed his Christianity to American voters for the very same reason that I tell my eight-year-old niece that I firmly believe in Santa and Leprechauns: cookies and milk every Mithras Eve and Leprechaun hunts every summer.

In reality, I have never met an intelligent religious believer... I've cordially discussed religion with Muslims; Taoists; Hindus; Lutherans; Wiccas; a Voodoo-ist (Omah believer) and even a practicing Satanist. I studied physics at university, mingled with many intellectuals and the only religious undergrad I ever met dropped out after three months because he couldn't handle the maths.

The Luke

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 06:46:24 PM »
Again...

I was smart enough to out Obama as a faux Christian on this very board even before the election. Ask Mcway, he thought I was stupid to profess that Obama was pandering to Christians. (I'll try to dig up the thread).

Stupider like a fox...

Regarding causation and correlation, I believe it is causal... causality will also express itself as a correlative relation.

Retards believe whatever they are told.
Children believe in Santa and Jebus.
Some adults believe in Jebus even after they outgrow Santa.
Critical thinkers believe in neither Jebus nor Santa.

Obama professed his Christianity to American voters for the very same reason that I tell my eight-year-old niece that I firmly believe in Santa and Leprechauns: cookies and milk every Mithras Eve and Leprechaun hunts every summer.

In reality, I have never met an intelligent religious believer... I've cordially discussed religion with Muslims; Taoists; Hindus; Lutherans; Wiccas; a Voodoo-ist (Omah believer) and even a practicing Satanist. I studied physics at university, mingled with many intellectuals and the only religious undergrad I ever met dropped out after three months because he couldn't handle the maths.

The Luke

It's your opinion, and you have no more evidence to back it up than believers do.

Your post is equivalent to over zealous born again Christians who act like they're extreme beliefs are fact.
S

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 06:53:13 PM »
Again...

Stupider like a fox...

The Luke
haha now there is something i will agree with you on im not saying he isnt religious to some extent b/c i believe he is but his religious selection in his church and his actions are politically motivated for sure.

you can believe alll you want but you have not proof again take any statistics class or research methods class and one of the first things you learn is correlation doesnt mean causality whether you accept it or not its the way it is.

please give me some research that shows that ppl over 130 iq's arent religious.

Well luke consider yourself very lucky then i guess as im religous and intelligent bro.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2008, 06:56:35 PM »
It's your opinion, and you have no more evidence to back it up than believers do.

Your post is equivalent to over zealous born again Christians who act like they're extreme beliefs are fact.

Before the election, I was attacked on this site for asserting that Obama was too smart to be a true believer.

Now he's won the election, he doesn't go to church any more... he goes to the gym instead, GetBigger style.

So, over the course of his life, he only ever started attending church when he started needing the popular vote and when he no longer needed the popular vote, he stopped attending church.

Christians got played... plain and simple. The Luke is vindicated once more.

The Luke

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 07:00:57 PM »
Before the election, I was attacked on this site for asserting that Obama was too smart to be a true believer.

Now he's won the election, he doesn't go to church any more... he goes to the gym instead, GetBigger style.

So, over the course of his life, he only ever started attending church when he started needing the popular vote and when he no longer needed the popular vote, he stopped attending church.

Christians got played... plain and simple. The Luke is vindicated once more.

The Luke
whats his sunday routine look like luke? you must know since you know he doesnt go to church.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2008, 07:11:14 PM »

does it really make any difference?

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2008, 07:14:10 PM »

Exactly

Him being sworn in on a Bible really doesn't tell us shit.  Look at the mess Bush created, and he was suppose to be a good Christian.
S

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2008, 07:18:59 PM »
whats his sunday routine look like luke? you must know since you know he doesnt go to church.

...no church services in the six weeks since the election. I wonder if he's been in the last fortnight. I doubt it.

Picking the Lincoln bible after Lincoln has all but been proven to have been a homosexual is a symbolic "up yours" to the "No on proposition 8" and "Palin 2012" assholes.

Read between the lines people.

Even the current Pope isn't a Christian.

The Luke