Author Topic: Do you watch TV at all?  (Read 1452 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Do you watch TV at all?
« on: September 28, 2011, 11:01:01 AM »
The few shows I like, I just get them online.  Haven't turned on the TV in months.  Other than sports, I can't remember the last time someone irl mentioned a show they watch.  Seems like the TV should have already merged with online content. 

Surely someone is further alone with it than Netflix?  Is this sort of thing in the works?  Any names?  Seems like there would be a lot of $ to be made if you backed the right horse.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Do you watch TV at all?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 12:20:14 PM »
Almost never.

My DVR is set to record a few things like SNL, the Simpsons.  Is "The Event" on NBC ever coming back or was it cancelled?  If not for DVDs and streaming my TV could be off for months.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 01:32:35 PM »
Almost never.

My DVR is set to record a few things like SNL, the Simpsons.  Is "The Event" on NBC ever coming back or was it cancelled?  If not for DVDs and streaming my TV could be off for months.

Event was axed. Like Heroes, the viewers watched at first then tuned out. It just took a lot sooner with Event.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 03:35:10 PM »
I do watch a fair amount of TV.....College football......Pro football.....ION tv......Biography channel.....Fox Business channel.....NFL channel

All the various movie channels.........but I know of many people that watch various shows online.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 04:00:51 PM »
Dont touch it, just download what I want to watch.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 04:10:26 PM »
Dont touch it, just download what I want to watch.

Ditto. I stopped watching back in 1996/97. Lost interest after the internet exploded.

I need to catch up on some good TV shows, though. In the last 12-15 years, I've only seen Lost and Smallville, other than random episodes of The Simpsons.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 08:54:51 PM »
And yet it's all the rage to have a "home theatre" with a $40k TV and sound setup.  And I think: Really?  That's about $39,800 more than I spent.

I could understand it if the TV screen was just as able to display online content or saved files as your computer screen.  But when I want to watch a movie on the tv screen that's saved on my computer, I have to burn it to dvd and carry it over to the tv.  Seems like a weird divide between the two technologies which is bound to disappear soon.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 09:56:31 PM »
And yet it's all the rage to have a "home theatre" with a $40k TV and sound setup.  And I think: Really?  That's about $39,800 more than I spent.

I could understand it if the TV screen was just as able to display online content or saved files as your computer screen.  But when I want to watch a movie on the tv screen that's saved on my computer, I have to burn it to dvd and carry it over to the tv.  Seems like a weird divide between the two technologies which is bound to disappear soon.

Why burn movies to DVD? You should just hook up your computer to the TV. All you need is an RCA cable and you're good to go. You can extend the display of your screen/monitor to the TV, so you still store and play the movie using your computer, but watch it on TV.

If you go to a Dicksmith store, they'll tell you how to hook it up as long as you buy the cable from them, which doesn't cost more than $20.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 10:13:16 PM »
Why burn movies to DVD? You should just hook up your computer to the TV. All you need is an RCA cable and you're good to go. You can extend the display of your screen/monitor to the TV, so you still store and play the movie using your computer, but watch it on TV.

If you go to a Dicksmith store, they'll tell you how to hook it up as long as you buy the cable from them, which doesn't cost more than $20.

See, I knew there had to be a better way.  I was just too stupid to know what it was!  I probably won't do it tho because the computer and the TV are pretty much at opposite ends of the house.  Haha, I bet my old POS TV doesn't even have an appropriate port.  I guess there's always thumb drives, but that would mean a new TV.  :-\

I guess there are good things about having a computer separate from a TV too.  "Honey, I wish you wouldn't look at your men in thongs when the children are at home!"

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 10:23:04 PM »
See, I knew there had to be a better way.  I was just too stupid to know what it was!  I probably won't do it tho because the computer and the TV are pretty much at opposite ends of the house.  Haha, I bet my old POS TV doesn't even have an appropriate port.  I guess there's always thumb drives, but that would mean a new TV.  :-\

I guess there are good things about having a computer separate from a TV too.  "Honey, I wish you wouldn't look at your men in thongs when the children are at home!"

LOL. You need a TV that has RCA ports (the one with 3 sockets in a row that are red, yellow and white), but pretty much all of them have it, since that's how you'd hook up things like speakers and consoles. And RCA cables are cheap, so you can get long cords.

You can do it with desktops too, but maybe you should get a laptop just for your movies. I don't like watching movies with good visuals on my computer, even though I've got a decent sized screen.

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 11:47:12 PM »
you are all blood thirsty communists oh and by the by as long as Al Jazeera keeps referring to it as the SO CALLED war on terror i shall keep watching

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 04:30:05 AM »
The hell you say.  Declaring war on a noun is a time honored tradition.  It's in The Consternation, moran.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 05:36:08 AM »
LOL. You need a TV that has RCA ports (the one with 3 sockets in a row that are red, yellow and white), but pretty much all of them have it, since that's how you'd hook up things like speakers and consoles. And RCA cables are cheap, so you can get long cords.

You can do it with desktops too, but maybe you should get a laptop just for your movies. I don't like watching movies with good visuals on my computer, even though I've got a decent sized screen.

lol@rca cables,  what is this 1999?  ;D These days its a simple hdmi cable.Kiwiol, you are missing out not watching the best TV shows from the last 15 years, much better than the best movies, isnt even close.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 05:40:51 AM »
ID TV - Investigation Discovery true crime stories.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 08:33:31 AM »
you are missing out not watching the best TV shows from the last 15 years, much better than the best movies, isnt even close.

I don't like a lot of popular stuff, like CSI, medical dramas, sitcoms (Seinfeld and a couple of others aside) or even gangster dramas like Sopranos. Only thing I like to watch is Sci-fi.

What would you recommend? I've heard Supernatural and Heroes are good.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 08:47:47 AM »
I don't like a lot of popular stuff, like CSI, medical dramas, sitcoms (Seinfeld and a couple of others aside) or even gangster dramas like Sopranos. Only thing I like to watch is Sci-fi.

What would you recommend? I've heard Supernatural and Heroes are good.

If you like sci fi youll be in heaven with Battlerstar Galactica,( the 2004 tv series) I fucking hate sci-fi and its the only sci-fi Ive enjoyed watching probably ever, watch the 2 part mini movie first then the actual first season.Most knowledgable critics have it in their top 20 series of all time.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407362/

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 09:27:24 PM »
communists the whole lot of yah  >:(