Author Topic: Happy Birthday Ronald Reagan - our last real President.  (Read 27158 times)

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
Re: Happy Birthday Ronald Reagan - our last real President.
« Reply #175 on: June 06, 2011, 10:49:24 AM »
It started in the 70's when they helped to transport heroine throughout the region.

OHHHHHHHH you mean in an un Official Capacity....

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #176 on: June 06, 2011, 10:53:36 AM »

Do you blame your crack and drug abuse on Reagan? 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #177 on: June 06, 2011, 10:57:18 AM »

Or maybe official.. Sure the Govt wouldn't give up that revenue stream..  Damn near like free money that isnt counted by congress and used for bullshit

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #178 on: June 06, 2011, 10:57:52 AM »

CIA black operations are never official.
I hate the State.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #179 on: June 06, 2011, 10:58:30 AM »
CIA black operations are never official.

ever see that movie with Damon and joe pesci? 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #180 on: June 06, 2011, 11:01:26 AM »
ever see that movie with Damon and joe pesci? 

Which one?
I hate the State.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #181 on: June 06, 2011, 11:04:14 AM »
Which one?

The one about the founding of the CIA?   Good Shepard   -  good movie.   

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #182 on: June 06, 2011, 11:12:53 AM »
The one about the founding of the CIA?   Good Shepard   -  good movie.   

I'll have a look. Thanks
I hate the State.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #183 on: June 06, 2011, 11:15:30 AM »
I'll have a look. Thanks

Long - but really good movie.   About the start of the CIA.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #185 on: June 11, 2011, 04:54:27 AM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Washington Post Reporter: Reagan Was ‘The Quintessential Leader’
CNSNews.com ^ | 6/10/11 | Terence P. Jeffrey
Posted on June 11, 2011 7:09:34 AM EDT by rhema

Del Quentin Wilber, a Washington Post reporter and author of Rawhide Down: The Near Assassination of Ronald Reagan, says that after studying Reagan’s character and the actions Reagan took when his life was in imminent danger, he came to the conclusion that the 40th president of the United States was “the quintessential leader.”

“I found him to be kind of the quintessential leader,” Wilber said in an interview with CNSNews.com’s Online With Terry Jeffrey. “I found that the portrayal of him in the media at the time and even today as someone who just read what was put in front of him like a script was not true.”

Wilber, who reviewed historical documents and recordings and interviewed more than 125 witnesses to reconstruct a narrative of the day Reagan was shot, believes Americans were given a unique view of Reagan’s true character and courage in the way he responded to the attempt on his life.

“As he’s being wheeled into surgery, he sees Baker, Meese and Deaver, his three top advisers, and he says: “Who’s minding the store?” Because, you know, he’s kind of poking fun of himself with his hands-off management style with the troika,” said Wilber.

But Reagan had an even better joke for the surgeons who would cut open his chest to find the would-be assassin’s bullet and stop the internal bleeding. “He gets into surgery,” said Wilber, “he gets up on an elbow, dramatically takes off the oxygen mask, and says: ‘I hope you’re all Republicans.’ Puts it on and goes back to sleep.”

Even more remarkably, Wilber reports that Reagan actually used the hope-you’re-all-Republicans line more than once at the hospital before being anaesthetized for surgery. He used it first in the emergency room on Secret Service agent Jerry Parr and again in the operating room to the surgeons. Wilber interviewed multiple eyewitnesses who testified to Reagan’s use of wit at these moments as he lay wounded and facing the possibility of death.

“He’s lying in the ER, oxygen mask on, he sees Jerry Parr. And he had tried to do some jokes,” says Wilber. “He says to Jerry: ‘I hope they’re all Republicans.’”

“And Jerry Parr looks down: Uh, huh,” said Wilber. “Jerry doesn’t remember quite if he smiled or not because, frankly, Jerry Par is going out of his mind: Okay, this guy just got shot, and he is trying to protect him, and he’s cracking a joke.

“And, I wasn’t sure if Jerry was correct, frankly,” said Wilber. But then an ER nurse and technician told Wilber the same story.

“He said it,” said Wilber. “I interviewed a nurse: Did Reagan say anything? She’s in the ER. Did Reagan say anything? Oh yeah: ‘I hope they’re all Republicans.’ What? A technician said he said the same thing. I go: Oh my God, Reagan said the line, and put it in his back pocket, and delivered it again.”

He also delivered a comforting witticism to First Lady Nancy Reagan when she was first allowed into the emergency room to see him.

“He sees his wife, Nancy Reagan, in the ER, and what’s the first thing he says? ‘Honey, I forgot to duck,’” said Wilber. “Okay, that’s a joke. He’s not crying or whining.”

Wilber believes that whether facing life-or-death surgery after an assassination attempt, dressing appropriately in the Oval Office, or making policy decisions, Reagan never lost sight of the fact that he had a moral responsibility as president of the United States to act in a way that did credit to the office.

“In everything he did, he never wanted to diminish the office,” said Wilber.

History, Wilber believes, will make a positive judgment on Reagan.

“I think Reagan will be viewed by historians as one of the probably more successful U.S. presidents over time in terms of getting his agenda through and his goals accomplished--whether they were accomplished after he left or not,” said Wilber.

“You know, he left office with the highest approval rating of any president,” said Wilber. “Now, he is looked at as having accomplished winning the Cold War, reducing the threat of nuclear war, altering the face of basically the entire Europe, changing the debate about taxes in this country--for it will never be the same again. He even helped save Social Security.”

Wilber knows that some people may find his assessment of Reagan surprising coming from a Washington Post reporter.

“People see me and say you’re a Washington Post guy, Del, and you’re writing about Ronald Reagan?” said Wilber. “And I say: Listen, journalists, I think, get an unfair needle stuck in us for being biased. I’m not biased. I approached this with wide open eyes; I knew nothing about it. I came to admire Ronald Reagan as a guy and as a leader. Do I agree with all of his policy positions? No, but who does with anybody? But I can judge him on his success, right. He was a huge success.”

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #186 on: July 04, 2011, 06:12:26 PM »
Just got done reading the Reagan Diaries in his own words.   

Anyone saying the man was an idiot is truly a moron.   

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #187 on: July 05, 2011, 05:29:20 AM »
heres a great one

Where is Obama in this picture?     ???

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #188 on: July 05, 2011, 05:31:20 AM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Washington Post Reporter: Reagan Was ‘The Quintessential Leader’
CNSNews.com ^ | 6/10/11 | Terence P. Jeffrey
Posted on June 11, 2011 7:09:34 AM EDT by rhema

Del Quentin Wilber, a Washington Post reporter and author of Rawhide Down: The Near Assassination of Ronald Reagan, says that after studying Reagan’s character and the actions Reagan took when his life was in imminent danger, he came to the conclusion that the 40th president of the United States was “the quintessential leader.”

“I found him to be kind of the quintessential leader,” Wilber said in an interview with CNSNews.com’s Online With Terry Jeffrey. “I found that the portrayal of him in the media at the time and even today as someone who just read what was put in front of him like a script was not true.”

Wilber, who reviewed historical documents and recordings and interviewed more than 125 witnesses to reconstruct a narrative of the day Reagan was shot, believes Americans were given a unique view of Reagan’s true character and courage in the way he responded to the attempt on his life.

“As he’s being wheeled into surgery, he sees Baker, Meese and Deaver, his three top advisers, and he says: “Who’s minding the store?” Because, you know, he’s kind of poking fun of himself with his hands-off management style with the troika,” said Wilber.

But Reagan had an even better joke for the surgeons who would cut open his chest to find the would-be assassin’s bullet and stop the internal bleeding. “He gets into surgery,” said Wilber, “he gets up on an elbow, dramatically takes off the oxygen mask, and says: ‘I hope you’re all Republicans.’ Puts it on and goes back to sleep.”

Even more remarkably, Wilber reports that Reagan actually used the hope-you’re-all-Republicans line more than once at the hospital before being anaesthetized for surgery. He used it first in the emergency room on Secret Service agent Jerry Parr and again in the operating room to the surgeons. Wilber interviewed multiple eyewitnesses who testified to Reagan’s use of wit at these moments as he lay wounded and facing the possibility of death.

“He’s lying in the ER, oxygen mask on, he sees Jerry Parr. And he had tried to do some jokes,” says Wilber. “He says to Jerry: ‘I hope they’re all Republicans.’”

“And Jerry Parr looks down: Uh, huh,” said Wilber. “Jerry doesn’t remember quite if he smiled or not because, frankly, Jerry Par is going out of his mind: Okay, this guy just got shot, and he is trying to protect him, and he’s cracking a joke.

“And, I wasn’t sure if Jerry was correct, frankly,” said Wilber. But then an ER nurse and technician told Wilber the same story.

“He said it,” said Wilber. “I interviewed a nurse: Did Reagan say anything? She’s in the ER. Did Reagan say anything? Oh yeah: ‘I hope they’re all Republicans.’ What? A technician said he said the same thing. I go: Oh my God, Reagan said the line, and put it in his back pocket, and delivered it again.”

He also delivered a comforting witticism to First Lady Nancy Reagan when she was first allowed into the emergency room to see him.

“He sees his wife, Nancy Reagan, in the ER, and what’s the first thing he says? ‘Honey, I forgot to duck,’” said Wilber. “Okay, that’s a joke. He’s not crying or whining.”

Wilber believes that whether facing life-or-death surgery after an assassination attempt, dressing appropriately in the Oval Office, or making policy decisions, Reagan never lost sight of the fact that he had a moral responsibility as president of the United States to act in a way that did credit to the office.

“In everything he did, he never wanted to diminish the office,” said Wilber.

History, Wilber believes, will make a positive judgment on Reagan.

“I think Reagan will be viewed by historians as one of the probably more successful U.S. presidents over time in terms of getting his agenda through and his goals accomplished--whether they were accomplished after he left or not,” said Wilber.

“You know, he left office with the highest approval rating of any president,” said Wilber. “Now, he is looked at as having accomplished winning the Cold War, reducing the threat of nuclear war, altering the face of basically the entire Europe, changing the debate about taxes in this country--for it will never be the same again. He even helped save Social Security.”

Wilber knows that some people may find his assessment of Reagan surprising coming from a Washington Post reporter.

“People see me and say you’re a Washington Post guy, Del, and you’re writing about Ronald Reagan?” said Wilber. “And I say: Listen, journalists, I think, get an unfair needle stuck in us for being biased. I’m not biased. I approached this with wide open eyes; I knew nothing about it. I came to admire Ronald Reagan as a guy and as a leader. Do I agree with all of his policy positions? No, but who does with anybody? But I can judge him on his success, right. He was a huge success.”

Free Republic is not a credible or factual news source.  Its a internet forum full of mostly white supremacists.  Why do you continue to put their garbage on these sites for instead of posting article from credible news sources
A

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #189 on: July 05, 2011, 05:31:30 AM »
According to the documentary "Inside Job", all US presidents, from Reagan to Obama, have had a significant hand in wrecking the US and global economy.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #190 on: July 05, 2011, 06:07:15 AM »
Tuesday 05 July 2011
Telegraph.co.uk 
Telegraph View

Remembering Ronald Reagan

________________________ ________________________ ________

Telegraph View: By the end of his second term in office, he had transformed the economy and helped bring the Soviet Union to its knees.

Former US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Foreign Secretary William Hague at the unveiling of a statue to former US President Ronald Reagan in London today to mark 100 years since his birth Photo: PA By Telegraph View

Ronald Reagan, the centenary of whose birth fell earlier this year, yesterday became the third great American to be honoured by a statue in Grosvenor Square. Attending the ceremony, Condoleezza Rice, the former secretary of state, spoke of “a memorial and a commemoration of a glorious past but more importantly a call to an even more glorious future”. The reminder is apposite. In yesterday’s paper, Toby Harnden, our US editor, wrote that unprecedented uncertainty and self-doubt were clouding the Independence Day celebrations. The mood is not dissimilar to that when Reagan was sworn in as the 40th president in 1981. On the campaign trail, his answer to the failures of the Carter presidency was a pledge to restore “the great, confident roar of American progress and growth and optimism”. By the end of his second term in office, he had transformed the economy and, from a position of strength, helped bring the Soviet Union to its knees.

In that heady period, as in the darker days of the Second World War, close personal relations between the American president and the British prime minister played a crucial role. Just as Churchill and Roosevelt faced down one great tyranny of the 20th century, Reagan and Margaret Thatcher did the same to another; he identifying the USSR as an “evil empire”, she undermining it by her support for the Polish trade union movement Solidarity.

Ironically, the American embassy is planning to leave Mayfair, where Washington has had an official presence since the late 18th century, for Battersea. But the bronze triumvirate which it will leave behind – Roosevelt, Reagan and Eisenhower (who oversaw the D-Day landings from the square) – will be a permanent reminder in the heart of London of our shared history and the depth of our friendship.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #191 on: July 05, 2011, 08:21:28 AM »
05 July 2011 3:08 PM
The Missing US Ambassador at the feast for Ronald Reagan
http://politics.standard.co.uk/2011/07/the-missing-us-ambassador-at-the-feast-for-ronald-reagan.html

________________________ ________________________ _

Last night's Guildhall dinner in honour of Ronald Reagan's centenary was a truly glittering and warm occasion.

The British roasted lamb and the sunny Californian chardonnay evoked the close Anglo-US relationship of Reagan and Thatcher as much as the fine speeches by Condi Rice and William Hague.

But guests were left asking, where on earth was the American ambassador to London, Louis B Susman?

"Our ambassador should be here," said Lynn de Rothschild, the American entrepreneur who is married to Sir Evelyn de Rothschild and was one of Hillary Clinton's key fundraisers in 2008 as well as a supporter of several Republican presidential candidates. "This was an historic dinner to mark Reagan's centenary and to celebrate him as the man who ended the Cold War. What could not be more important?

"Why is our ambassador not here on Independence Day? No excuse. How is it that America is not represented in this room by our ambassador? It is appalling that no representative of our government is in this room. This has the feel of petty partisanship."

Ambassador Susman is, of course, a long-standing Democrat fundraiser, nicknamed the vaccuum cleaner for his skill at sucking donations out of the wealthy.  And his efforts to fill Obama's campaign pockets was said by many to be his main qualification to come to London.

According to the US embassy spokesman: "Ambassador Susman was pleased to be invited to the dinner but was unable to attend."

He had however been at the unveiling of a statue of Reagan in Grosvenor Square earlier in the day, and hosted a generous breakfast for the entire VIP visiting party and the military band. So he cannot be accused of snubbing the Reagan centenary.

But he missed some cracking speeches and anecdotes. For more details see the Standard story here.

And where was he?  The embassy won't say.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #192 on: July 05, 2011, 12:35:57 PM »
came into office with ~ 700 billion in debt and left with 3 trillion

raised taxes 11 times

raised taxes on social security and then borrowed the surplus

cut and ran from Lebanon after bombing of Marine based

had the most indictments/convictions in his administration of any POTUS prior to him

Iran/Contra

I'm sure I've missed a few things

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #193 on: July 05, 2011, 12:39:16 PM »
came into office with ~ 700 billion in debt and left with 3 trillion

raised taxes 11 times

raised taxes on social security and then borrowed the surplus

cut and ran from Lebanon after bombing of Marine based

had the most indictments/convictions in his administration of any POTUS prior to him

Iran/Contra

I'm sure I've missed a few things

Yes you did -

Record job growth

Doubled $ $ $ to the treasury

Defeated communism

Beat inflation from Jimmuh carter

Are you arguing that RR should have started a land war in Lebanon?  isnt that what you clowns attacked Bush for?     

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #194 on: July 05, 2011, 12:56:53 PM »

Yes you did -

Record job growth

Doubled $ $ $ to the treasury

Defeated communism

Beat inflation from Jimmuh carter

Are you arguing that RR should have started a land war in Lebanon?  isnt that what you clowns attacked Bush for?     

LoL - you swallowed the myth hook, like and sinker

Commies defeated themselves

he didn't beat inflation

as for growth in $$$ to theTreasury

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #195 on: July 05, 2011, 01:02:46 PM »
The Real Reagan Economic Record: Responsible and Successful Fiscal Policy
Published on March 1, 2001 by Peter Sperry Backgrounder
See also: The Truth About Tax Rates and The Politics of Class Warfare
by Daniel J. Mitchell, Ph.D.

After President George W. Bush sent Congress an outline of his tax reform plan on February 8, some critics immediately began to attack it as a return to what they portray as the fiscally irresponsible policies of the Reagan Administration. According to these commentators, Congress should scale back--if not outright reject--President Bush's tax reform proposals because they are based on a period when the wealthy received excessive tax cuts and revenue was wasted on defense even though most Americans struggled in poverty. This is a revisionist view of recent history that ignores reality and denies the fact that President Reagan's sound policies and determination deserve much of the credit for the current economic picture. Congress should embrace President Bush's tax reform plan as a responsible return to the most successful economic policy of the 20th century.

President Ronald Reagan's record includes sweeping economic reforms and deep across-the-board tax cuts, market deregulation, and sound monetary policies to contain inflation. His policies resulted in the largest peacetime economic boom in American history and nearly 35 million more jobs. As the Joint Economic Committee reported in April 2000:2

In 1981, newly elected President Ronald Reagan refocused fiscal policy on the long run. He proposed, and Congress passed, sharp cuts in marginal tax rates. The cuts increased incentives to work and stimulated growth. These were funda-mental policy changes that provided the foundation for the Great Expansion that began in December 1982.

As Exhibit 1 shows, the economic record of the last 17 years is remarkable, particularly when viewed against the backdrop of the 1970s. The United States has experienced two of the longest and strongest expansions in our history back to back. They have been interrupted only by a shallow eight-month downturn in 1990-91.

Even with the growing surplus, however, a small but vocal faction in Congress opposes any policies that would allow taxpayers to keep more of their own money through real tax cuts and that generally would shift power from the government to the people. This attempt to rewrite history should not be surprising. Proponents of additional government spending try to make the Reagan boom appear to be a bust because they fear that Reagan's success will help President Bush build popular support for lower taxes, further deregulation, and reduced government spending. But their rhetoric is easily countered by the evidence.

Under President Reagan, federal revenues increased even with tax cuts, federal spending did not decrease, the country experienced the longest period of sustained growth during peacetime in its history, and the rich paid more taxes proportionately than they had before the tax cuts were implemented.

HOW DID THE REAGAN TAX CUTS AFFECT THE U.S. TREASURY?

Many critics of reducing taxes claim that the Reagan tax cuts drained the U.S. Treasury. The reality is that federal revenues increased significantly between 1980 and 1990:

Total federal revenues doubled from just over $517 billion in 1980 to more than $1 trillion in 1990. In constant inflation-adjusted dollars, this was a 28 percent increase in revenue.3

As a percentage of the gross domestic product (GDP), federal revenues declined only slightly from 18.9 percent in 1980 to 18 percent in 1990.4

Revenues from individual income taxes climbed from just over $244 billion in 1980 to nearly $467 billion in 1990.5 In inflation-adjusted dollars, this amounts to a 25 percent increase.

HOW DID REAGAN'S POLICIES AFFECT FEDERAL SPENDING?

Although critics continue to focus on President Reagan's budget "cuts," federal spending rose significantly during the 1980s:

Federal spending more than doubled, growing from almost $591 billion in 1980 to $1.25 trillion in 1990. In constant inflation-adjusted dollars, this was an increase of 35.8 percent.6

As a percentage of GDP, federal expenditures grew slightly from 21.6 percent in 1980 to 21.8 percent in 1990.7

Contrary to popular myth, while inflation-adjusted defense spending increased by 50 percent between 1980 and 1989, it was curtailed when the Cold War ended and fell by 15 percent between 1989 and 1993. However, means-tested entitlements, which do not include Social Security or Medicare, rose by over 102 percent between 1980 and 1993, and they have continued climbing ever since.8

Total spending on all national security programs never equaled domestic spending, even when Social Security, Medicare, and net interest are excluded from domestic totals. In addition, national security spending fell during the Administration of the senior President Bush, while domestic spending increased in both mandatory and discretionary accounts.9 (See Chart 1.)

HOW DID REAGAN'S POLICIES AFFECT ECONOMIC GROWTH?

Despite the steep recession in 1982--brought on by tight money policies that were instituted to squeeze out the historic inflation level of the late 1970s--by 1983, the Reagan policies of reducing taxes, spending, regulation, and inflation were in place. The result was unprecedented economic growth:

This economic boom lasted 92 months without a recession, from November 1982 to July 1990, the longest period of sustained growth during peacetime and the second-longest period of sustained growth in U.S. history. The growth in the economy lasted more than twice as long as the average period of expansions since World War II.10

The American economy grew by about one-third in real inflation-adjusted terms. This was the equivalent of adding the entire economy of East and West Germany or two-thirds of Japan's economy to the U.S. economy.11

From 1950 to 1973, real economic growth in the U.S. economy averaged 3.6 percent per year. From 1973 to 1982, it averaged only 1.6 percent. The Reagan economic boom restored the more usual growth rate as the economy averaged 3.5 percent in real growth from the beginning of 1983 to the end of 1990.12
HOW DID REAGAN'S POLICIES AFFECT THE FEDERAL TAX BURDEN?
Perhaps the greatest myth concerning the 1980s is that Ronald Reagan slashed taxes so dramatically for the rich that they no longer have paid their fair share. The flaw in this myth is that it mixes tax rates with taxes actually paid and ignores the real trend of taxation:

In 1991, after the Reagan rate cuts were well in place, the top 1 percent of taxpayers in income paid 25 percent of all income taxes; the top 5 percent paid 43 percent; and the bottom 50 percent paid only 5 percent.13 To suggest that this distribution is unfair because it is too easy on upper-income groups is nothing less than absurd.

The proportion of total income taxes paid by the top 1 percent rose sharply under President Reagan, from 18 percent in 1981 to 28 percent in 1988.14

Average effective income tax rates were cut even more for lower-income groups than for higher-income groups. While the average effective tax rate for the top 1 percent fell by 30 percent between 1980 and 1992, and by 35 percent for the top 20 percent of income earners, it fell by 44 percent for the second-highest quintile, 46 percent for the middle quintile, 64 percent for the second-lowest quintile, and 263 percent for the bottom quintile.15

These reductions for the lowest-income groups were so large because President Reagan doubled the personal exemption, increased the standard deduction, and tripled the earned income tax credit (EITC), which provides net cash for single-parent families with children at the lowest income levels. These changes eliminated income tax liability altogether for over 4 million lower-income families.16
Critics often add in the Social Security payroll tax and argue that the total federal tax burden shifted more to lower-income groups and away from upper-income groups; but President Reagan's changes were in the income tax, not in the Social Security payroll tax. The payroll tax was imposed by proponents of big government over the past 50 years, and it is they, not Ronald Reagan, who should be held accountable for its distributional effects.

Nevertheless, even if one counts the Social Security payroll tax, the share of total federal taxes increased between 1980 and 1989 for the following groups:

For the top 1 percent of taxpayers, from 12.9 percent in 1980 to 15.4 percent in 1989;

For the top 5 percent of taxpayers, from 27.3 percent in 1980 to 30.4 percent in 1989; and

For the top 20 percent of taxpayers, from 56.1 percent in 1980 to 58.6 percent in 1989.
On the other hand, the share of total federal taxes, if one includes the Social Security payroll tax, declined for four groups:

For the second-highest 20 percent of taxpayers, from 22.2 percent in 1980 to 20.8 percent in 1989;

For the middle 20 percent of taxpayers, from 13.2 percent in 1980 to 12.5 percent in 1989;

For the second-lowest 20 percent of taxpayers, from 6.9 percent in 1980 to 6.4 percent in 1989; and

For the lowest 20 percent of taxpayers, from 1.6 percent in 1980 to 1.5 percent in 1989.17

CONCLUSION

No matter how advocates of big government try to rewrite history, Ronald Reagan's record of fiscal responsibility continues to stand as the most successful economic policy of the 20th century. His tax reforms triggered an economic expansion that continues to this day. His investments in national security ended the Cold War and made possible the subsequent defense spending reductions that are largely responsible for the current federal surpluses. His efforts to restrain the expansion of federal government helped to limit the growth of domestic spending.

If Reagan's critics had been willing to work with him to limit domestic spending even further and to control the growth of entitlements, the budget would have been balanced five to ten years sooner and without the massive tax increase imposed in 1993. Today, Members of Congress from across the political spectrum should stand on the evidence and defend the Reagan record.

Peter Sperry is the Grover M. Hermann Fellow in Federal Budgetary Affairs in the Thomas A. Roe Institute for Economic Policy Studies at The Heritage Foundation.

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2001/03/the-real-reagan-economic-record

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #196 on: July 05, 2011, 03:31:39 PM »
If the Heritage Foundation thinks a responsible and successful fiscal policy includes raising taxes (which Reagan did many times) then I assume both they and you are fine with Obama doing the same thing

Same goes for more than tripling the debt and anything else Reagan did too

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #197 on: July 05, 2011, 03:33:19 PM »
If the Heritage Foundation thinks a responsible and successful fiscal policy includes raising taxes (which Reagan did many times) then I assume both they and you are fine with Obama doing the same thing

Same goes for more than tripling the debt and anything else Reagan did too

I have just read his diaries, same bs as always.  He had a dem congress who considered most of his budgets doa and they refused to go along with his defense build up unless they got their sepnding on domestic shit. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #198 on: July 05, 2011, 03:49:45 PM »

I have just read his diaries, same bs as always.  He had a dem congress who considered most of his budgets doa and they refused to go along with his defense build up unless they got their sepnding on domestic shit. 

so again, you're fine with massive government spending, multiple tax increases and more than tripling the national debt

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #199 on: September 06, 2011, 07:31:48 AM »