Author Topic: Online Venture Capital:  (Read 21673 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Online Venture Capital:
« on: February 25, 2018, 03:45:51 AM »
Does anyone have first or even second-hand experience with online venture capital (VC) firms?

Certain key restrictions were lifted several years ago, softening the requirements for more people to become angel investors with VC firms - enabling them to invest in syndicates (essentially, a VC fund) under a lead investor. 

The lead does deals on the platform using the syndicate’s (and often their own) money. If/when there is a return, the lead takes a “carry” (commission) on the returns of each investor in their syndicate.   

It sounds appealing if maybe you’ve got a couple of grand to “play with.” I simply have never spoken with anyone who’s personally done or knows someone who’s done it.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: Online Venture Capital:
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 12:06:13 PM »
Does anyone have first or even second-hand experience with online venture capital (VC) firms?

Certain key restrictions were lifted several years ago, softening the requirements for more people to become angel investors with VC firms - enabling them to invest in syndicates (essentially, a VC fund) under a lead investor.  

The lead does deals on the platform using the syndicate’s (and often their own) money. If/when there is a return, the lead takes a “carry” (commission) on the returns of each investor in their syndicate.  

It sounds appealing if maybe you’ve got a couple of grand to “play with.” I simply have never spoken with anyone who’s personally done or knows someone who’s done it.

Are you talking about First Trust Deeds or crowdfunding?
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 07:44:48 AM »
Are you talking about First Trust Deeds or crowdfunding?

Ah... now I know what you're talking about.

My original post relates more to the crowd funding type, although I was more interested in a somewhat newer form of angel investing platforms lead by syndicates.
I really lost interest, though, after listening to a podcast with Chris Sacca.

Rinka

• Getbig I
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 04:02:00 AM »
Well, yes I was having venture business. It was risky, dangerous but it was the best thing that I expirienced in last years. However, I think that when you are doing venture, you need to remember about investing capital. I was using this software for marketing target

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 05:42:02 AM »
I would consult Robby Robinson on this.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 02:53:29 AM »
I had dug a little more after making this thread last year. OVC is kind of a shady deal.

You send your money to a “syndicate,” who invests it (along with other investors’ capital) in one or more projects. The syndicate will often invest some of their own money in the project as well, but either way, gets a commission on YOUR earnings.
However, there is no consequence for the syndicate if the investment fails and goes completely belly-up. “They” can only MAKE money.

A while back, I listened to an interview with a seed investor who also operates as a syndicate with an OVC firm. He admitted that he doesn’t see this system lasting for long.