Author Topic: George Carlin on Religion  (Read 12648 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
George Carlin on Religion
« on: October 16, 2018, 04:37:50 AM »
>>>

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: George Carlin on Religion
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 08:25:42 PM »
Kind of puts it in perspective. But to each his own

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 08:40:25 PM »
“My dog," he said, "just barks and plays -has all he wants to eat. He never works- has no trouble about business. In a little while he dies, and that is all. I work with all my strength. I have no time to play. I have trouble every day. In a little while I will die, and then I go to hell. I wish that I had been a dog.” -Robert Ingersoll

“I regard the Bible, especially the Old Testament, the same as I do most other ancient books, in which there is some truth, a great deal of error, considerable barbarism and a most plentiful lack of good sense.”
― Robert G. Ingersoll

when I was first doubting the bible was true I started reading works by authors other than Christian apologists. Ingersoll is a 19th century philosopher who wrote many things, but his short manuscript "Why I am Agnostic" is worth a read

http://www.update.uu.se/~fbendz/library/ri_why1.htm  Part 1

http://www.update.uu.se/~fbendz/library/ri_why2.htm  Part 2

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 02:23:47 PM »
Yes, George Carlin was an expert on religion. ::)

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 02:56:44 PM »
Let's pray for his soul, that Odin may show mercy on him.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 03:06:04 PM »
But Thor will show NO MERCY!!!

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 06:00:27 PM »
But Thor will show NO MERCY!!!

Thor will hammer him!

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 06:14:24 PM »
Carlin was a self-centered turd.  As said elsewhere, he could be funny but as he aged he turned into a bitch.  Fuck him.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 05:32:48 AM »
Carlin was a self-centered turd.  As said elsewhere, he could be funny but as he aged he turned into a bitch.  Fuck him.

He let bitterness get the better of him after his wife died. I suspect a lot of people would.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 07:03:16 PM »
He let bitterness get the better of him after his wife died. I suspect a lot of people would.

Or, he had nothing to lose and just told it as he saw it. I'm not suggesting it's the truth... though much of what he says about religion rings true with me, what he said rang true with enough people he was selling out his shows until the end

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 04:51:29 AM »
Carlin hits the nail on the head but lots of folks can't give up on the comfort of a Sky Wizard.

Without the Sky Wizard life becomes too scary.  The Sky Wizard is someone they can turn to when life gets hard.

It's quite understandable and Sky Wizards keep humans in line in when corrupted cause mass death and suffering.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 04:54:16 AM »
Could it be that atheists are using that belief as a coping mechanism as well?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 07:53:47 PM »
Could it be that atheists are using that belief as a coping mechanism as well?

Doubt it. The question makes no sense

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 02:45:47 AM »
Doubt it. The question makes no sense
It makes total sense.  I've found that people who insist there is no God or afterlife are afraid of being fooled.  It probably is created from believing in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy as a child and then finding out they were fooled and they make a note never to be fooled again.  James Randi, Michael Shermer and Derren Brown are examples of skeptics trying to show everyone that they are fooled by believing anything that isn't clearly seen in the physical universe.  These people think they are the smartest people in the world and it gives them comfort that they are smart and elite in their own minds.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 04:20:08 AM »
Carlin hits the nail on the head but lots of folks can't give up on the comfort of a Sky Wizard.

Without the Sky Wizard life becomes too scary.  The Sky Wizard is someone they can turn to when life gets hard.

It's quite understandable and Sky Wizards keep humans in line in when corrupted cause mass death and suffering.

But Carlin was still an asshole.  No...make that a whole ass.  I would be surprised to see where he took on islime or buttism or other religions.  Dude only went after those that believed in the Nazarene.  Fuck him.  He was even more bitter than me, LOL!  Again, fuck George Carlin.

I just watched some Carlin routines.  He hates "Christian Conservatives" but I didn't hear him say anything about Fundie muslimes. Fuck him.  I am glad he's dead.

Same with making fun of white men.  And again, I'm glad the fucking whole ass is dead.  FTN.