Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 422148 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #525 on: June 01, 2019, 05:34:34 PM »
Ironat, there will be enough time for us to rest when we die in 10 -20 years.

Woke up at 5AM prior to work and walked fast for 5 miles. There is an abandoned railroad tracks near my house from around the 1920's.  The county ripped up the train tracks and put down cinder to make a walking/biking trail. Sad to say it's severely under utilized. I suspect it's because of the isolated nature of the trail.  For example today I did 5 miles and saw one runner. Outside of her I saw no one for 5 miles. Many long areas where you can't see a house from the trail. You could scream for help till your blue in the face and no one would hear you. The young girl I saw was booking at a really fast pace this early morning.  She was a serious runner. I think she was lost in her thoughts but when she got close she looked surprised to see another person. Judging by the way she crossed herself as Catholics do I think she was afraid to see me. Like I said it's very isolated and I understand. If she only knew I would protect her with my Glock if she was accosted on the trail.  I felt like the old man from the movie Home Alone.  Feared but in the end he was the one that saved Kevin.  LOL.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #526 on: June 03, 2019, 03:21:37 PM »
Trained chest and biceps. I was happy with the work out. It was a Yates type one work set to failure.  Rested a couple of hours then I ran 3.1 miles. I ran super slow on purpose nursing a sore Achilles. I was almost embarrassed running that slow. Hopefully things will start clicking soon.  Glad I got the cardio in.  Walked fast for around 25 miles last week. I really miss running. Going to revamp my training drastically but I'm waiting for all body to cooperate references being banged up.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #527 on: June 04, 2019, 09:09:14 AM »
Leg day: Used the leg press for calves instead of standing leg raises.  It's was some burn. The partials at the end burns the worst but I wonder if they contribute to the tightness in my calves that makes them prone to tearing?

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #528 on: June 04, 2019, 09:50:09 AM »
Leg day: Used the leg press for calves instead of standing leg raises.  It's was some burn. The partials at the end burns the worst but I wonder if they contribute to the tightness in my calves that makes them prone to tearing?

Logic says your calves are tight from running a lot.

Stretch your calves a few times a day every day and see if it helps.  

If you have an injury, train around it.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #529 on: June 05, 2019, 06:49:33 PM »
Logic says your calves are tight from running a lot.

Stretch your calves a few times a day every day and see if it helps.  

If you have an injury, train around it.

I disagree with your logic. My calves are getting tight from the unnatural range of motion with calf machines. I think I'm getting micro tears from that from the often repeated drop your heels low to get a good range of motion. In general I'm the biggest proponent of a full range of motion but with calf training under load it can be an unnatural extreme range and the potential for injury high. I have read a great article on T-Nation that said in effect calf machines aren't needed for calf training especially for athletes. The author said calf training should start from the floor for athletes. I know this goes against bodybuilding empirical  shared knowledge concerning calf training.  The sprinter Ben Johnson's coach Charles Merrick Francis was another that stayed away for calf training. In the article he wrote he explained calf training was big during the USSR era for sprinters but he felt the major emphasize should be the femur extension from the hip which he felt was trained best with the squat. He was a fan of the power clean but felt Ben's  form was breaking down with increased weight and he was concerned with potential injury.

Back to my Achilles. I'm convinced I ripped it partially from the insertion by the heel bone. I hope it will mend in time. My wife partially ripped her Achilles in the surf after getting hit by a wave. She had a big visible knot in her Achilles where it tore. Since she is so inactive she got plenty of rest. It actually healed itself in around 6 plus months.  I would have swore that it had to be fixed by an orthopedic surgeon.

I ran like a slug for two miles today like a lame through bread. LOL. If I really did in my athletic function for the rest of my life I did it fighting the good fight. If I say so myself I was explosive for the first 4 sets  of 40 yard sprints. I think it went on the fifth set of 40 yard repeats.  I'm convinced if you push training with the pedal to the metal something is going to break. Playing it save doesn't get you to where you want to go. I remember when my college sprinting time came to an end. I pulled my hamstring and just like that it was over. In a sport where tenths of a second matter I was never going to be the same that year so it was over. Not that I had any potential to be a world beater. LOL.

I don't know if I should stretch a tear. That is a mistake. I will do very gentle stretches tonight with this device.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #530 on: June 06, 2019, 04:36:50 AM »
Your calf muscles are shortened from all the running you do.

Putting them under excessive load with heavy weight in a stretched position to which they are not accustomed is causing your pain and injury.

In addition you do not allow them to heal because you keep stressing them.

I agree you should let them heal before stretching, or only stretch if you have no pain.  If you get pain stop,

To permit healing you have to back off running and training that area.

There is no common sense reason to continue abusing your body to the point of injury and beyond.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #531 on: June 06, 2019, 05:59:43 PM »
Back day:

Pull down 1 x 14 140lbs. (kept back upright. Could have used a lot more weight with a lean back.
Seated low cable row 1 x 14 180lbs.
Dumbbell row knee off a bench 1 x 15 85lbs (stretched low and all the way up)
Reverse grip pulldown 1 x 12 125lbs (upright back and full range of motion)
Dead lifts 1 x 6 315lbs (off the floor)
Weighted back hyper extensions 1 x 20 25lbs plate behind head
Ab wheel roll out 1 x 25
Ab pulley crunch 1 x 40

Walked fast on a trail for 5 miles. It was over 85 degrees and humid. Really felt the heat after awhile.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #532 on: June 07, 2019, 09:03:13 AM »
Trained delts and triceps. Used one set to failure after warm up. After I did 6 x half mile runs slow. Did striking drills after.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #533 on: June 10, 2019, 05:42:50 PM »
Trained back and chest. I was going to change things up but using a tried and true workout.  

M.A.G. bar pulldowns 2  10 140lbs (No lean back to turn it into a row)
Seated lat pulley row 2 x 12 170lbs
Dumbbell row with knee on bench 2 x 10 85lbs
Hammer pulldown 2 x 10

Hammer incline bench 2 x 8

Dumbbell incline bench 2 x 8 70lbs (Slow and all the way down. Really went for time under tension. I just don't get guys doing that upper arm parallel to the ground half reps. Reminded me awhile back alternating on the incline dumbbell bench with a guy. I was using the 80lbs at the time and he had the 110lbs. I went all the way down and he did what 99% of the gym does with those half reps. I just went along doing my thing then he had to say it. " I started with 80lbs and worked up to the 110lbs. Next set I grabbed his 110lbs and did the same exact form as him and out repped him. He said something to effect, "Why are you using 80lbs if you can use 110lbs?" Damn, bodybuilding is full of insecure guys who are delusional about how strong they are.

Dumbell flat flies 2 x 10 45lbs. (Again tried to get a great stretch and a smooth cadence)
Pec pulley flies 2 x 12 (Just started using them about 6 months ago. I think most guys call them crossovers. I have mixed feeling about them. I might go to the pec deck where you hold the handles. I always felt a strain using it but I think I stretched out too much)
Push ups 1 x max

Deadlifts 2 x 4 315lbs (from the floor)
Weighted hyper extensions 2 x 15 25lbs plate held behind my head.

Ab wheel roll out 2 x 22
ab machine crunch 2 x 20 130lbs ( weight is meaningless. They have two different manufacturers ab machines. One 100lbs is ton of weight and the one I used 130lbs felt kind of light. I really try to crunch using it. So many put the seat high throw their body weight into it. Big mistake in the technique of targeting the abs)

After I went for a fast walk that lasted one hour and sixteen minutes. Really think this is doing my body good. Getting leaner. My goal is 5 days of cardio.  For the longest time I was doing two to three a week. Not enough. On a negative note I'm feeling a bit drained but strength is still good.  

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #534 on: June 11, 2019, 06:12:04 PM »
Did 6 x half miles. Fastest in  7:48 pace or 7.7 MPH. Achilles is hurting moderately. Did strike training after.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #535 on: June 12, 2019, 08:28:08 AM »
Good job.  You are training hard.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #536 on: June 12, 2019, 10:08:48 AM »
Leg day:  Feeling burnt. No cardio today after the weights today. I will do the cardio tomorrow. One observation about the hack machine in the commercial gym. I thought it didn't have a safety stop because even with going deep I never hit it. Today on one of my reps I hit it. Nothing freaks me out more than leg machines like the leg press and hack squat machines that don't have a safety stop. The leg press machine in this place is an antique with no safety stop. If you blow out a knee or are too fatigued to get the rep you're fucked.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #537 on: June 13, 2019, 06:57:19 PM »
6 x half miles again. Achilles is feeling slight improvement. Afraid if I sprint it will rip.  Took the half miles downs to a 7:30 miles. Felt like I was playing with danger. After seeing NBA Durant rupture his after a calf strain I'm trying to be conservative with how I push it. Tomorrow is delt and arms. I will walk fast for five miles afterward. That seems gentle on the Achilles. If I do have a small tear it will take months to heal.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #538 on: June 14, 2019, 06:35:10 PM »
Trained delts and arms. Finished with a fast five mile walk. Going to biking next week till this damn Achilles heals. I'm not a big fan of biking but it's great for running injuries. Getting on the scale tomorrow to see if the three weeks of 5 day a week cardio made a difference. I see it in the mirror and how my belt fits but curious to see what the scale will reveal. I will not post if I didn't lose weight.  ;D. I was 188lbs three weeks ago.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #539 on: June 15, 2019, 05:27:50 AM »
Good idea on the biking.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #540 on: June 15, 2019, 03:08:51 PM »
Walked fast for 5 miles before work. In three weeks I feel like I'm getting lean but I only lost three pounds.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #541 on: June 15, 2019, 05:24:08 PM »
Walked fast for 5 miles before work. In three weeks I feel like I'm getting lean but I only lost three pounds.

How you look is really what counts.

Do you monitor your caloric intake?

Sometimes when you workout hard you eat more and therefore maintain your weight.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #542 on: June 17, 2019, 05:34:56 PM »
Looking better with the walking. Just not showing it on the scales. I wonder if it has something to do with the weekend beer fests in the pool. Ummm, I wonder?

Doing a Yates type one set to failure for the week. Today was chest and bicep.  Did my fast walking thing and the clouds opened up. I was getting drenched. Walking past the trails parking lot they had free dog plastic bags. Wrapped my phone, wallet and Ipod in the bag and I was good. Took off my soaked shirt and just enjoyed the walk. For some reason I didn't take the Glock. While the rain wouldn't hurt it but I would hate to get the holster soaking wet.

I've been saying it for awhile but I'm going to change up my workouts soon. I think it's time to think about joint preservation.  Grinding my shoulder, elbow and knees for what is for me heavy weights might be a mistake without changing up the routines from time to time.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #543 on: June 17, 2019, 10:41:10 PM »
Looking better with the walking. Just not showing it on the scales. I wonder if it has something to do with the weekend beer fests in the pool. Ummm, I wonder?

Doing a Yates type one set to failure for the week. Today was chest and bicep.  Did my fast walking thing and the clouds opened up. I was getting drenched. Walking past the trails parking lot they had free dog plastic bags. Wrapped my phone, wallet and Ipod in the bag and I was good. Took off my soaked shirt and just enjoyed the walk. For some reason I didn't take the Glock. While the rain wouldn't hurt it but I would hate to get the holster soaking wet.

I've been saying it for awhile but I'm going to change up my workouts soon. I think it's time to think about joint preservation.  Grinding my shoulder, elbow and knees for what is for me heavy weights might be a mistake without changing up the routines from time to time.

Are you still fucking on the regular?  Asking for Prime.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #544 on: June 18, 2019, 10:53:23 AM »
Trained legs today in Yates fashion. One set to failure after warm up.  This is a really a sick way to train.  I dreaded this workout for hours prior. Not a good thing.

Leg press 1 x 15 (4 plates a side with some smaller plates. Fully bent legs and do mean fully with a low back board.)
Dumbbell squats 1 x 14 85lbs (Upright back and ass all the way down till I couldn't go any further down.)
Stiff dead 1 x 6 215lbs ( Stood on a platform and touched the bar to the top of my feet each rep)
leg extension 1 x 25
Standing leg curl 1 x 15

Dumbbell side bends 1 x 15 95lbs single dumbbell
Hanging leg raise 1 x 26
Hip ups off the ground 1 x 25
Knee ins off a bench 1 x 25

Standing calf 1 x 15
Seated calf 1 x 20

Tibalis anterior work using a D.A.R.T.  1 x 20

Neck work with a weight helmet. One set a side for 20 to 15 reps

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #545 on: June 18, 2019, 11:11:35 AM »
What is a D.A.R.T.?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #546 on: June 18, 2019, 06:49:46 PM »
What is a D.A.R.T.?

It's a device to train the tibialis anterior.

The gastrocnemius, tibialis posterior and soleus muscles of the lower leg performs plantar flexion or pushing your foot down rising on your toes. The tibialis anterior performs the opposite dorsiflextion bringing your foot toward your shin.

Arnold use to do a few sets having his heels on a block and bringing his foot up toward his shin  for the tibialis anterior. I'm sure it wasn't for a cosmetic muscle but for injury prevention. Runners get shin splints and other over use injuries sometimes from an imbalance in strength between the two opposing muscles. Dancers in particular ballet dancers often have these issues with strains, hair line fractures and inflammation. I use it because I'm a runner and I believe it makes the foot more stable.  I only use one set a week.

I apologize for the long winded explanation. Though it's not meant for it I also use that device for wrist extensions and it works fantastic for that purpose.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #547 on: June 19, 2019, 03:39:17 PM »
Tried to go for a short two mile run. My Achilles was throbbing. No walking and no running for awhile. Going to see if I can bike. If I can't bike without pain I'm just going to lift without cardio.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #548 on: June 20, 2019, 08:38:48 AM »
Trained back for around 40 minutes. Used one set to failure. Reps used are somewhat approximate from memory. Sometimes I don't know my own name after a hard set.

M.A.G. bar pulldowns 1 x 14 140lbs. ( straight back no lean back to make it a row. Dead hang to bar touching clavicle area)
Seated cable long lat pulls with a V handle 1 x 14 180lbs
Dumbbell row with knee on bench 1 x 12 90 lbs (all the way down and up)
Hammer pulldowns 1 x 12 (I like these. They start out as a pull down but end up as a row)

Deadlifts off the floor 1 x 6 315lbs (I should get stronger in these and all exercises since I'm giving up cardio due to my Achilles problem until it heals. I remember about 4 years ago I injured my foot and I could barely walk for 6 months. I made really good gains in lifting since I wasn't splitting my time between the two disciplines of strength and cardio.
Weighted back hyper extensions 1 x 20 25lbs plate behind head. Might start using a barbell behind the traps

Ab wheel out 1 x 25
Ab machine crunch 1 x 24 140lbs

Trained in the commercial gym with bright green running shorts and a tank top. Felt a little foolish because I stood out like a neon sign.  ;D Whole new crop of characters in the gym now that high school and college is out. Never seen half of these people. Saw a college kid hitting the heavy bag. He was doing some fancy dancing footwork. He was hitting the bag lightly.  Asked him if he ever boxed and he said no. He said all he knows about the sweet science was from Youtubes.  I give him credit for adding strike training to his routine.  

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #549 on: June 24, 2019, 03:28:14 PM »
Took an extra day off. We had a big pool party on Sunday. Still feeling the effects. Going to try something really different from what I have been doing. Going to do a volume workout. I should know if it's doable for me after the first workout tomorrow. Going to use supersets and moderate weights.