Author Topic: Looking for a beginner workout routine recommended by a pro bodybuilder  (Read 293 times)

aks2161989

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
I am looking for a beginner workout routine for someone that wants to get into pro bodybuilding. I tried to search for routines of pro bodybuilders, but came across advanced routines which these guys were probably using when competing in the Olympia, not when they were beginners.

A few years back there were old articles written by Arnold Schwarzenegger where he gave out beginner routines. It seems these pages are no longer available. Now the only routines available are his Olympia workout routines which are too advanced for beginners.

Does anyone have some beginner routines recommended by pro bodybuilders? I would really appreciate it if you could share!

On a side note, I found a beginner routine shared by Markus Ruhl here https://www.muscleandfitness.com/flexonline/training/markusaurus/. Do you think this routine is good for beginners?

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
Barbell squat - 8, add weight do 8, add weight do 6,6,6
Bench press - 8,8,6,6,6
Pullups - 5x10
Overhead press - 8,8,6,6,6
Barbell row - 8,8,6,6,6
Skullcrushers - 5x10
Barbell curls - 5x10
Standing calf raises - 5x15
Situps - 5x25

Do this routine 3 times a week for a year.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Iron Nat gave some good advice.  Use a basic routine like he suggested and concentrate on getting stronger. Truth is a basic routine could be used by an advanced guy too.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
people have the misconception that full body is only for beginners but it´s hard if using decent weights.

I think an upper/lower split is good maybe 3 or 4 days a week  .
personally i trained arms with legs so it was

Day 1
Back, chest, shoulders 

Day 2 legs, biceps triceps

One thing i will say about full body is everything is trained & if you miss a workout it´s not so bad. Infact 2 workouts are probably better for recovery when using heavy weights as 3 hard full body workouts is very taxing

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
If you can recover from 3 full body workouts a week then you are incredibly gifted

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
If you can recover from 3 full body workouts a week then you are incredibly gifted
I think it depends on the individual but if heavy weights are used on mainly compound lifts which is typical for a full body workout then recovery & stress on joints & soft ligaments is hard.

you can of course rotate exercise in a 3 day routine to "hit more angles" or cause more "isolation" but i think myself a 3 day a week upper/lower split is better.
Just my experience

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
I think it depends on the individual but if heavy weights are used on mainly compound lifts which is typical for a full body workout then recovery & stress on joints & soft ligaments is hard.

you can of course rotate exercise in a 3 day routine to "hit more angles" or cause more "isolation" but i think myself a 3 day a week upper/lower split is better.
Just my experience

Yep I think that's bout right

Upper/lower eod is rather ideal

I tried the full body 3 times a week on my late teens to early 20's and it wreaked me, I never really improved or got stronger from it

I was influenced by AI and Darden and tried both, AJ was 12 exercises per workout and early Darden was 20 exercises per workout all to failure

Later Darden took it down to like 8 exercises per workout but that still crushed me :D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
A beginner will grow on almost anything. Even a 3 day split such as...

Chest+Back
-----
Legs
-----
Shoulders+arms

weekend off

IroNat

• Getbig V
Becoming a highly paid (not bodybuilding) professional in sports is easy.    ;D

Next I will post:

1) My golf practice routine for a beginner who wants to be a PGA Tour golfer.

2) My baseball practice routine for a beginner who wants to be a MLB player.

3) My football practice routine for a beginner who wants to be an NFL player.

;)

What is a "professional bodybuilder"?

Someone with a "pro card" which are a dime a dozen today?

The dime-a-dozen Pro Card bodybuilders pay their own money to "play" their pseudo-sport.

A sports professional is someone who is paid to perform their sport, like a MLB player.

Only the very top elite bodybuilders get paid.

To be one of today's pro card bodybuilders basically hit the gym 4-6 times a week doing a bro-split and hit the gas pedal a lot.
If you have a decent structure you can probably get a pro-card in a couple years of drugging, unless you are Bhanky, who has been juicing for 25 years and still looks like shit.

IroNat

• Getbig V
Yep I think that's bout right

Upper/lower eod is rather ideal

I tried the full body 3 times a week on my late teens to early 20's and it wreaked me, I never really improved or got stronger from it

I was influenced by AI and Darden and tried both, AJ was 12 exercises per workout and early Darden was 20 exercises per workout all to failure

Later Darden took it down to like 8 exercises per workout but that still crushed me :D

Simple reasons for your lack of results:

You did not eat enough and you followed AJ and Darden's advices.

;)

IroNat

• Getbig V
I am looking for a beginner workout routine for someone that wants to get into pro bodybuilding. I tried to search for routines of pro bodybuilders, but came across advanced routines which these guys were probably using when competing in the Olympia, not when they were beginners.

A few years back there were old articles written by Arnold Schwarzenegger where he gave out beginner routines. It seems these pages are no longer available. Now the only routines available are his Olympia workout routines which are too advanced for beginners.

Does anyone have some beginner routines recommended by pro bodybuilders? I would really appreciate it if you could share!

On a side note, I found a beginner routine shared by Markus Ruhl here https://www.muscleandfitness.com/flexonline/training/markusaurus/. Do you think this routine is good for beginners?

Excerpt:

Don’t take drugs or do stupid things. Remember, you’re a bodybuilder. That deserves respect.

Funny coming from a massive drug user like Ruhl.  It's unlikely he wrote the article.

IroNat

• Getbig V
Barbell squat - 8, add weight do 8, add weight do 6,6,6
Bench press - 8,8,6,6,6
Pullups - 5x10
Overhead press - 8,8,6,6,6
Barbell row - 8,8,6,6,6
Skullcrushers - 5x10
Barbell curls - 5x10
Standing calf raises - 5x15
Situps - 5x25

Do this routine 3 times a week for a year.

Find a local gym where steroid using bodybuilders train.

Join this gym and workout there for a couple months and make acquaintance with these drug users.

After you feel comfortable, ask them where you can get steroids

Meet their drug source and buy the appropriate steroids.

Take the drugs and workout a typical split routine and eat enough to add size.

Get muscles.  Then enter a local contest and get cut up.

If you place in the top 5 then keep taking drugs and training.

Enter another contest and see if you can win it.

If you win or place high keep taking drugs and train for another show.

If you keep improving you can possibly win a meaningless pro card.

If you can't improve give up because you don't have what it takes to get there.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Becoming a highly paid (not bodybuilding) professional in sports is easy.    ;D

Next I will post:

1) My golf practice routine for a beginner who wants to be a PGA Tour golfer.

2) My baseball practice routine for a beginner who wants to be a MLB player.

3) My football practice routine for a beginner who wants to be an NFL player.

;)

What is a "professional bodybuilder"?

Someone with a "pro card" which are a dime a dozen today?

The dime-a-dozen Pro Card bodybuilders pay their own money to "play" their pseudo-sport.

A sports professional is someone who is paid to perform their sport, like a MLB player.

Only the very top elite bodybuilders get paid.

To be one of today's pro card bodybuilders basically hit the gym 4-6 times a week doing a bro-split and hit the gas pedal a lot.
If you have a decent structure you can probably get a pro-card in a couple years of drugging, unless you are Bhanky, who has been juicing for 25 years and still looks like shit.

Bill Pearl wrote a good book back in `86  "Getting Stronger" which had a lot of sport related programmes