Author Topic: Will they change the rules to make American soccer....  (Read 4567 times)

body88

Will they change the rules to make American soccer....
« on: January 15, 2007, 08:32:23 AM »
A higher scoring game? There has been talk to change a few rules to promote scoring. Amid strong opposition from football purists. Will it happen?

Diesel1

• Getbig V
Re: Will they change the rules to make American soccer....
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 09:43:20 AM »
I could be wrong but I'm not sure if FIFA would allow it, so no, it probably won't happen.

You made find this hard to believe but sometimes you can watch great games that finish 0-0  :o

body88

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 10:02:01 AM »
I could be wrong but I'm not sure if FIFA would allow it, so no, it probably won't happen.

You made find this hard to believe but sometimes you can watch great games that finish 0-0  :o

The mls was trying to lobby fifa into maybe doing it I believe. With the pace of Ameriacn football I don't know how well 0 - 0 would stand up here in the states!

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 10:27:32 AM »
I hope so. But they won't do it cause the FIFA won't allow it.

There are def. a couple of things that can be improved. E.g. if a player makes X fouls = automatic yellow card.
Right now you can make 100 litle fouls, thus slowing the game.

Make bigger goals, and an adaptation to the offside rule should be tried out.

On the other hand, right now you almost have an orgasm when your team scores a beautiful goal.
If they do so 10 times in a game on average it's nothing special anymore.
$

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 10:42:23 AM »
Here's a few changes they're making for the '07 season.

The implementation of the Designated Player Rule wasn't the only new change that MLS will see next year. Here's a list of other things to look out for:

• The expansion franchise, Toronto FC, will begin play.

• The 2007 MLS season will feature a 30-game regular season. Each week, one of the 13 MLS clubs will have a "bye."

• A change in the playoff structure. Eight teams will qualify for the playoffs. The top two teams in each conference, plus four "wild cards" with the most points after 30 games, regardless of conference, will qualify

• An increase in each club's share of transfer revenue generated from the transfer of a player on the club's roster with a commitment to reinvest all of such revenue into a replacement player or players.

• For the first time in the league's history, all MLS games will be broadcast on live television.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=391763&root=mls25&cc=5739

The tv deal is probably the most significant change. Meaning a lot more cash to put back into the development of the game at the grass roots, and obviously more people might be more inclined to watch live games on the telly.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 10:53:28 AM »

In order to make MLS interesting:

Make the goal 2-3 feet wider and a foot taller. 

Allow more substitutions, perhaps even like the line changes in hockey. 

Put players in the 'naughty box' for a period of time based on the severity of the foul.

Get rid of those gay franchise names. 

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 11:25:48 AM »
will simply not happen unless the whole of football changes fifa make the rules and how could the us play one set of rules then another in an international??

won't happen, they need to address the problem though otherwise it could go tits up again

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 03:03:11 PM »
will simply not happen unless the whole of football changes fifa make the rules and how could the us play one set of rules then another in an international??

That's fine. 

European basketball leagues play by different rules than we do in the U.S. and college has different rules than the pros.  In football, Canada has its own rules and the game is extremely popular in their country. 

'American soccer' could be a very special and unique game, if only the U.S. soccer community had the balls to make the changes.  But like every other soccer player in the world, they're a bunch of pussies.

What the MLS people are counting on is that the Latinos will continue their takeover of America and give the sport a broad enough fan base here in the States to support a league.

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 03:19:49 PM »
That's fine. 

European basketball leagues play by different rules than we do in the U.S. and college has different rules than the pros.  In football, Canada has its own rules and the game is extremely popular in their country. 

'American soccer' could be a very special and unique game, if only the U.S. soccer community had the balls to make the changes.  But like every other soccer player in the world, they're a bunch of pussies.

What the MLS people are counting on is that the Latinos will continue their takeover of America and give the sport a broad enough fan base here in the States to support a league.

Funny you should say that

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Major League Soccer and the Mexican First Division announced the formation of SuperLiga, a tournament involving four clubs from each league that will compete for a one million-dollar first prize.

Modeled after the widely popular UEFA Champions League, the SuperLiga will include a group phase and knockout phase, with all games being held in US venues from July 24 to August 29.

"We are proud to announce the creation of SuperLiga, which will quickly become one of the most prestigious international club soccer tournaments held in the United States," MLS commissioner Don Garber said Saturday.

"This tournament presents the most authentic competition between rival soccer nations and will bring out the passion and pride of fans in our hemisphere."

Group A will consist of MLS clubs FC Dallas and the Los Angeles Galaxy - the new home of English superstar David Beckham - and Mexican teams CD Guadalajara and CF Pachuca.

Group B will contain DC United and the Houston Dynamo of MLS and Club America and Monarcas Morelia of the Mexican league.

"Given the great soccer rivalry between the two countries, we strongly believe SuperLiga will be a great international soccer tournament," Mexican commissioner Decio de Maria said.

"Featuring the top teams in both leagues, SuperLiga will become an instant favorite among the millions of soccer fans in Mexico and US."

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 04:29:24 PM »
Have to agree with diez and your maaaaaa fifa is the holy grial of football and what they say goes

body88

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 10:30:21 PM »
Have to agree with diez and your maaaaaa fifa is the holy grial of football and what they say goes

Will they buckle to the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, tho?

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 10:34:19 PM »
they makes thier cash

body88

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 10:36:59 PM »
they makes thier cash

I know , but there is always room for more, a lot more.

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 10:45:15 PM »
I know , but there is always room for more, a lot more.
my god any more cash an you could call them the vatican  ;D

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 11:52:08 AM »

agreed...i've watched some really good games that finished 0-0...i used to hate watching soccer until i starting watching the premier league, bundesliga...those guys can play and are very entertaining...more entertaining that watching an NBA game or NHL game for that matter...
footloose and fancy free

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 12:04:57 PM »

No because The Premier league is going to make 3 billion over the next 5 years.

Now thats one league think of all the football FIFA looks after!!

The money is hideous in soccer and the US will help it get richer but they will not need this market although i'm sure they'd love it to be a success

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 12:14:25 PM »
at the end of the day, changing the scoring would change the very definition of the game and therefore it wouldnt be football - or soccer as you say. How would they react come the world cup with the readjustment of scoring? It will never happen, and if it does then it wont be football
Scouser on Tour

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 12:39:05 PM »
at the end of the day, changing the scoring would change the very definition of the game and therefore it wouldnt be football - or soccer as you say. How would they react come the world cup with the readjustment of scoring? It will never happen, and if it does then it wont be football

It doesn't have to be.

What I'm talking about creating is a 'soccer-like' game that actually has scoring and reasonable substitutions. 

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 01:44:54 PM »
soccer-like is not soccer though, im talking from a purist perspective. You can americanise it all you want, just dont call it football/soccer
Scouser on Tour

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 01:58:37 PM »
You can't change the basics in football without ruining it.  Yeah, some games are boring, but when you compare those bore draws with quality like Man Utd's or Liverpool's comebacks in the Champions League final,  or my personal favourite, Middlesbrough coming back from 3-0 down on aggregate, to win in the semi-final of the UEFA cup!!!  That's what makes the game special, and you can't change it just to entice the American audience. 

I've tried watching the NFL and there's no flow to the game.  One side loses the ball, so they take off the actual athletes, and put on a load of out of shape lard arses instead!!!  Thats just cheating!

The NBA and the NHL are entertaining, and if there was one thing I would like to see introduced to football (soccer!) it would be some kind of sin bin for some fouls.  Players might not be so quick to make 'professional' fouls if they would be off the pitch for 5 or 10 minutes.

(I'll probably get slammed now for daring to criticise the NFL!  :-X

body88

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 02:01:43 PM »
You can't change the basics in football without ruining it.  Yeah, some games are boring, but when you compare those bore draws with quality like Man Utd's or Liverpool's comebacks in the Champions League final,  or my personal favourite, Middlesbrough coming back from 3-0 down on aggregate, to win in the semi-final of the UEFA cup!!!  That's what makes the game special, and you can't change it just to entice the American audience. 

I've tried watching the NFL and there's no flow to the game.  One side loses the ball, so they take off the actual athletes, and put on a load of out of shape lard arses instead!!!  Thats just cheating!

The NBA and the NHL are entertaining, and if there was one thing I would like to see introduced to football (soccer!) it would be some kind of sin bin for some fouls.  Players might not be so quick to make 'professional' fouls if they would be off the pitch for 5 or 10 minutes.

(I'll probably get slammed now for daring to criticise the NFL!  :-X

Well yeah, this post is retarded.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 02:32:47 PM »

"In World Cup play, penalty kicks are for pussies."

That needed to be said.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »

Yes, that is very hard to believe!
The House that Ruth built

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 09:02:07 PM »
"In World Cup play, penalty kicks are for pussies."

That needed to be said.

well what should they do then