Author Topic: PTs - are things slowing down in a slower economy?  (Read 5214 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
PTs - are things slowing down in a slower economy?
« on: May 04, 2008, 05:09:57 PM »
As people have less $ to spend, are they first cancelling things like personal training?

The Coach

Re: PTs - are things slowing down in a slower economy?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 05:57:14 PM »
As people have less $ to spend, are they first cancelling things like personal training?

No......if you have a wealthy clientel they won't cut small things like PT. Most will cut business expenses first. If a pt is losing clientel because of the economy, it's time to go into a new market. We personally have alternative programs for people who cannot afford one on on training, we offer boot camps, for 174.00 they can come three days per week for a month with an hour and 15min workout with an eating program and updates on their progress. So there is no excuse for staying in shape!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 08:30:35 AM »
No......if you have a wealthy clientel they won't cut small things like PT. Most will cut business expenses first. If a pt is losing clientel because of the economy, it's time to go into a new market. We personally have alternative programs for people who cannot afford one on on training, we offer boot camps, for 174.00 they can come three days per week for a month with an hour and 15min workout with an eating program and updates on their progress. So there is no excuse for staying in shape!

Surely, at some point of their wealth/business going down, they'd cut a non-essential thing like PT, no?

The Coach

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 08:11:49 AM »
Surely, at some point of their wealth/business going down, they'd cut a non-essential thing like PT, no?

No, most success business people know this is a cycle and plan for it and most see PT's as a necessity nowadays to help deal with the stress of business. They understand the phyisological benefits of exercise. With that being said, they look at this as an investment and since most pay through there business, I'm also a write off.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 08:15:59 AM »
No, most success business people know this is a cycle and plan for it and most see PT's as a necessity nowadays to help deal with the stress of business. They understand the phyisological benefits of exercise. With that being said, they look at this as an investment and since most pay through there business, I'm also a write off.

So, we can assumed you've planned for a potential decrease in clients, correct?
Surely a wise business person would not state that others have prepared for "this," but formed no preparation of their own.
Y

The Coach

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 09:09:14 AM »
So, we can assumed you've planned for a potential decrease in clients, correct?
Surely a wise business person would not state that others have prepared for "this," but formed no preparation of their own.

Yes, especially in my business. Our slow periods for PT are usually summer, when kids are out of school and people go on vacation and of course Christmas holiday. But when we are down in those slow times, that's when our boot camps pick up and about March or April we start an ad campaign for out kids camps.

This year we are targeting a new market........golfers. With summer coming up, they're will be alot more, and a lot more golfers means more problems health wise (shoulders, knees, lower back, etc), my job is to convice them by losing weight combined with golf specific strength training, they will be more fluid in their motions, stronger in their drives and generally get around the course better and to encourage walking the course as opposed to riding. To walk a course is an average of 3-4 miles and since most courses are uneven (hills, mogles, valleys) peoples conditioning will improve as well. On course nutrition will also be addressed.

Just recently I joined a local country club, we meet once per week for a round and meetings once per month. Last week at our meeting I was introduced as the "new guy" in front of 200 members with a plug by the president of the club for my business. That night I handed out about 20 cards. They see me enough, they will build trust.

The_Shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 07:54:14 PM »
Is personal training a career choice one chooses when they decide they want to have a profession but lack the intelligence to be a professional.

The Coach

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 09:57:12 PM »
Is personal training a career choice one chooses when they decide they want to have a profession but lack the intelligence to be a professional.

Hey Shadow....define professional? Professional what? Police officer, fireman, Dr. business person. How would "shadow" define a professional?

And just to put things in a little prospective for you.....I cannot do what a Dr. can do and a Dr. cannot do what I can do. If they could, they wouldn't need me to train them.

Do you consider a Chiropractic a profession? If so why? I make more money than the majority of them.

The_Shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 09:47:34 AM »
Hey Shadow....define professional? Professional what? Police officer, fireman, Dr. business person. How would "shadow" define a professional?

And just to put things in a little prospective for you.....I cannot do what a Dr. can do and a Dr. cannot do what I can do. If they could, they wouldn't need me to train them.

Do you consider a Chiropractic a profession? If so why? I make more money than the majority of them.
Hey Coach.....A professional is someone like myself. Someone who spent six years in a University and now holds a position in a Fortune 500 company. I do not consider personal training to be a professional position, sorry to burst your bubble. Spending a few hours obtaining a certification doesn't mean much to me or anyone who is a professional. Chiropractic is a racquet far from the respect an MD receives. I am happy you make more than a chiropractor, not a hard feat to accomplish. Go back to school, maybe get a degree in Occupational Therapy, it will help you to be a better PT and maybe gain the respect a professional receives. Bye now.

The Coach

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 10:46:35 AM »
Hey Coach.....A professional is someone like myself. Someone who spent six years in a University and now holds a position in a Fortune 500 company. I do not consider personal training to be a professional position, sorry to burst your bubble. Spending a few hours obtaining a certification doesn't mean much to me or anyone who is a professional. Chiropractic is a racquet far from the respect an MD receives. I am happy you make more than a chiropractor, not a hard feat to accomplish. Go back to school, maybe get a degree in Occupational Therapy, it will help you to be a better PT and maybe gain the respect a professional receives. Bye now.

So wait, just because you have a University degree that automatically qualifies you as a professional? See, this is the thing, I might not have a degree (came a year short of it) but I am an expert in my field and am published for my work. You say go back and get a degree in occupational therapy.......why should i do that when alot of therapists and Dr's. (Not chrio's but Orthos) refer patients to me? Let me ask you, do you think you know more about my business and PROFESSION more than I do? I would venture to say no just as I don't know your field. BUT, I can say, even though you say it's not hard to make more than  chiropractor, I will rephrase what I said and say I make more than most who do have a degree and that just might include someone who works for a "Fortune 500" company.

My education is ongoing which means 2-3 times per year I travel for seminars related to strength/conditioning, nutrition, physiology plus I attend physical therapy seminars about twice per year. See ya.

The_Shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 11:08:20 AM »
So wait, just because you have a University degree that automatically qualifies you as a professional? See, this is the thing, I might not have a degree (came a year short of it) but I am an expert in my field and am published for my work. You say go back and get a degree in occupational therapy.......why should i do that when alot of therapists and Dr's. (Not chrio's but Orthos) refer patients to me? Let me ask you, do you think you know more about my business and PROFESSION more than I do? I would venture to say no just as I don't know your field. BUT, I can say, even though you say it's not hard to make more than  chiropractor, I will rephrase what I said and say I make more than most who do have a degree and that just might include someone who works for a "Fortune 500" company.

My education is ongoing which means 2-3 times per year I travel for seminars related to strength/conditioning, nutrition, physiology plus I attend physical therapy seminars about twice per year. See ya.
No, a University degree did not make me a professional it enabled me along with perseverance to become a professional. Who considers you an expert in your field? I suppose you gave yourself that title. Orthos are taking a BIG risk referring their patients to you instead of an OT. I guess they don't value their license a whole lot. It will take you many more years to accomplish what took me six going to "seminars related to strength/conditioning, nutrition, physiology plus  attending physical therapy seminars about twice per year". Tell an MD, Lawyer, CEO, CFO, etc. who isn't your buddy what you do and see what kind of respect it gets you. Trust me, not much! I'm sure you need to go hold someones hand now, it's Saturday a busy day for you. I'll be enjoying my weekend with my family. See ya.

The Coach

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 03:32:56 PM »
Are you saying you're an OT? Sounds like your kinda threated by our industry. Yes, the orthos do value their licenses and they know my credentials all 20 years of my credentials. One of our referrals is Curland/Jobe of Anaheim and 5 phyisical threrapy offices. I can tell you my profession stretchs beyond most physical therapists and I can guaranty my knowledge is equal and in some cases more especially when it comes to movement and rehab. Becuase of personal training, phyiscal therapy is a dieing profession simply because of the services we provide.in some states now, we can also become a preferred provider for most insurance carriers.

The_Shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 04:04:02 PM »
Are you saying you're an OT? Sounds like your kinda threated by our industry. Yes, the orthos do value their licenses and they know my credentials all 20 years of my credentials. One of our referrals is Curland/Jobe of Anaheim and 5 phyisical threrapy offices. I can tell you my profession stretchs beyond most physical therapists and I can guaranty my knowledge is equal and in some cases more especially when it comes to movement and rehab. Becuase of personal training, phyiscal therapy is a dieing profession simply because of the services we provide.in some states now, we can also become a preferred provider for most insurance carriers.
Threatened, NO. I am not an OT. I work in the computer software industry. I am amazed you are getting referrals. I don't know when an individuals healthcare feel into the laps of PT's. Sad world we live in and its too bad these people getting referred don't stand up and demand a professionals care. Unreal!! Preferred provider with a PT certificate, again sad world we live in when the insurance companies are going the cheap route to rehab people in need. Really disgusts me. If I ever have the need for rehab, I can tell you I Would Not put my care into the hands of a PT. I would sue the insurance company in a minute if they hinted at it. Anyway, this has turned into something else. Everyone has a different opinion on what a professional is. In my field as well as many of the people I associate with they would not consider a PT a professional. Maybe the people you work with consider themselves professionals so they don't feel like hand holders everytime they go to work in their shorts and T's. 

The Coach

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 10:17:28 PM »
Threatened, NO. I am not an OT. I work in the computer software industry. I am amazed you are getting referrals. I don't know when an individuals healthcare feel into the laps of PT's. Sad world we live in and its too bad these people getting referred don't stand up and demand a professionals care. Unreal!! Preferred provider with a PT certificate, again sad world we live in when the insurance companies are going the cheap route to rehab people in need. Really disgusts me. If I ever have the need for rehab, I can tell you I Would Not put my care into the hands of a PT. I would sue the insurance company in a minute if they hinted at it. Anyway, this has turned into something else. Everyone has a different opinion on what a professional is. In my field as well as many of the people I associate with they would not consider a PT a professional. Maybe the people you work with consider themselves professionals so they don't feel like hand holders everytime they go to work in their shorts and T's. 

I really think you don't understand, not being an ass in anyway, but you REALLY don't understand. So, I'm just going to end this futile disagreement. But, just to have you understand just a litte.......we are not primary providers. Usually when benefits are up for phyisical threrapy, we are referred and the patient is covered under another catagory on which we get paid. Insurance companies are required BY LAW to make sure our credentials are in order to continue. This process takes up to 6 months.

Most reputable PT's have either degrees (bachlors, masters, etc) Most people on my staff have those. I personally employ a Chiro, Phyisical Therapist and message therapist and of course personal training. I personally hold several certs that have taken over 3 years to obtain including a CSCS. I love what I do, I love helping people and I GET PAID for it. See, I have job security, I can only go up. You may have a degree and work for a Fortune 500 company, but no matter what you might think, you job is NEVER secure and you ARE expendable!

Trust me, it nice to make more than most corp execs who work for Fortune 500 companies and help people in the process.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 09:05:47 AM »
I only have one client on the books for this week.  However, with my new supplement store opened in Whittier, NC its actually a good thing
A

The Coach

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 10:11:09 AM »
I only have one client on the books for this week.  However, with my new supplement store opened in Whittier, NC its actually a good thing

We've got 67 training sessions booked for the week 8)

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 01:39:10 PM »
I really think you don't understand, not being an ass in anyway, but you REALLY don't understand. So, I'm just going to end this futile disagreement. But, just to have you understand just a litte.......we are not primary providers. Usually when benefits are up for phyisical threrapy, we are referred and the patient is covered under another catagory on which we get paid. Insurance companies are required BY LAW to make sure our credentials are in order to continue. This process takes up to 6 months.

Most reputable PT's have either degrees (bachlors, masters, etc) Most people on my staff have those. I personally employ a Chiro, Phyisical Therapist and message therapist and of course personal training. I personally hold several certs that have taken over 3 years to obtain including a CSCS. I love what I do, I love helping people and I GET PAID for it. See, I have job security, I can only go up. You may have a degree and work for a Fortune 500 company, but no matter what you might think, you job is NEVER secure and you ARE expendable!

Trust me, it nice to make more than most corp execs who work for Fortune 500 companies and help people in the process.

Shadow's misperception of a PT is fueled by the lack of any standards it takes to become a PT.  Joe may be very knowledgeable about a/p and kinesiology and nutrition, but the guy next door with a PT certificate may have only taken a weekend course.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 04:02:29 PM »
We've got 67 training sessions booked for the week 8)

Makes me wish I lived back in Greenville, SC.  Sylva, NC is a very small town so customers are far and few.  That and with the limited equipment at the local gym its difficult to bring in new people
A

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 10:12:41 PM »

Doing your boyfriend Queer Vissy does not count as a client.  So in reality you have none.  No surprise there.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 11:10:24 AM »
Doing your boyfriend Queer Vissy does not count as a client.  So in reality you have none.  No surprise there.

Coming from someone as fat as you are, you have no room to talk.  You need to see a personal trainer
A

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 08:36:22 PM »

onlyme,

you have a good business background.  Teach us here, don't flame please.