Author Topic: Niners  (Read 147928 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Niners
« Reply #450 on: February 20, 2024, 02:24:59 PM »
the niners should make a big trade for a top quarterback

the have so much talent throughout the roster, they can spare a few pro bowlers

E

They already have a top QB. 

Who could they realistically trade for?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #451 on: February 20, 2024, 02:27:16 PM »
How long can they keep that team together? Keeping that roster under the salary cap must be a nightmare for the GM and owner.

They have done a masterful job of assembling a roster and managing the salary cap.  I don't think there will much change in the core group next year.  Biggest thing they need to do with current players is extend Aiyuk. 

Not sure what they care going to do with Chase Young, but I am not a fan after what I saw since joining the Niners.  But maybe he will perform better under a new defensive coordinator?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #452 on: February 20, 2024, 02:27:48 PM »
No way in Hell is Cincy giving up Burrow. The fans would burn down the stadium and execute the owner.

Of course they are not trading him. 

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #453 on: February 21, 2024, 12:43:23 AM »
They have done a masterful job of assembling a roster and managing the salary cap.  I don't think there will much change in the core group next year.  Biggest thing they need to do with current players is extend Aiyuk. 

Not sure what they care going to do with Chase Young, but I am not a fan after what I saw since joining the Niners.  But maybe he will perform better under a new defensive coordinator?
Chase Young is definitely gone and he will get paid less than expected wherever he goes. He didn't do much at all for the Niners and he is injured most of the time.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #454 on: February 22, 2024, 08:43:49 PM »
No way in Hell is Cincy giving up Burrow. The fans would burn down the stadium and execute the owner.

probably not but the 49ers can make an offer they can't refuse, they were willing to give away 2 first round picks for trey lance so make a huge offer for a proven guy

they have now lost 3 super bowls since 2012, this is a franchise that used to brag about being undefeated in super bowls and now they are starting to look more like the 90's buffalo bills

the difference in their 3 losses was quarterback play, they keep making it to the super bowl with mediocre quarterbacks but it goes to show you need an elite one to win

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #455 on: February 22, 2024, 08:44:47 PM »
They already have a top QB. 

Who could they realistically trade for?

you think brock purdy is a top qb?

i think he's a solid guy at best that benefited by being on a team with pro bowlers at every position

give up some of those pro bowlers and a few first round picks, it doesn't have to be Burrow or Allen maybe somebody else that hasn't quite reached their potential like trevor lawrence or justin herbert

it worked for the rams

purdy has a limited ceiling, i could be wrong but i don't see him as a difference maker

E
E

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #456 on: February 23, 2024, 12:20:50 AM »

i think he's a solid guy at best that benefited by being on a team with pro bowlers at every position

give up some of those pro bowlers and a few first round picks, it doesn't have to be Burrow or Allen maybe somebody else that hasn't quite reached their potential like trevor lawrence or justin herbert

it worked for the rams

purdy has a limited ceiling, i could be wrong but i don't see him as a difference maker

E
Yeah, Lawrence or Herbert would definitely put them over the top. How many good QB's are available in the draft?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #457 on: February 23, 2024, 01:42:09 PM »

it worked for the rams

E

Hey I was all in on Trey Lance and don't believe he got a fair shake.  But with Purdy I just kept an open mind.  He's really good.  Definitely made a  believer out of me after watching every one of his starts the past two seasons. 

In addition to game film, which is most persuasive to me, just look at his numbers.  He has won almost every game he has started.  He led all NFL QBs in numerous categories this season.  He set the all-time Niner QB passing record.  He led three go ahead scoring drives in the fourth quarter and overtime of the Super Bowl.  He processes and sees the field as well as anyone I've seen. 

I think it would be a mistake to break up the best roster in the NFL.  They don't need an overhaul.  They need tweaks.  Their biggest needs are right tackle, right guard, and corner depth.  They also need a solid answer at DE opposite Bosa.  Will also have a hole to fill with Greenlaw likely out for the year.  That's a huge loss because he is a stud. 

But overall, I don't think it makes sense to trade for someone else when you have someone in the building who has performed at such a high level for two seasons now.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #458 on: February 23, 2024, 01:44:24 PM »
Yeah, Lawrence or Herbert would definitely put them over the top. How many good QB's are available in the draft?

I don't think either one of them would have performed any better than Purdy.  Look at the numbers. 

How many good QBs in the draft?  Who knows?  Could be three or four or more.  Could be none.  Such a crapshoot, especially with those lousy NFL scouts and talent evaluators.  Caleb Williams is the consensus No. 1 pick, so Fields is likely getting traded (unless all the prognosticators are wrong).   

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #459 on: February 24, 2024, 12:20:22 AM »
I don't think either one of them would have performed any better than Purdy.  Look at the numbers. 

How many good QBs in the draft?  Who knows?  Could be three or four or more.  Could be none.  Such a crapshoot, especially with those lousy NFL scouts and talent evaluators.  Caleb Williams is the consensus No. 1 pick, so Fields is likely getting traded (unless all the prognosticators are wrong).
Lawrence is way better than Purdy. He took a terrible team to the playoffs in his 2nd year. Purdy is playing on an all star team.

There is no way I would draft Caleb Williams. He is going to be a locker room cancer.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #460 on: February 24, 2024, 07:12:01 AM »
I wonder if they, or any other QB needy team wishes they had tried to get Lamar?

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #461 on: February 24, 2024, 07:13:30 AM »
Yeah, he'd be crazy to step out now.

Funny thing, he had a rep as a playoff-choker coach.

Now the complete opposite.

I think it had more to do with McNabb. He was not a winner. Some people just can’t rise to the occasion. He’s the epitome of one of those people who hoped for defeat to relieve the pressure from himself.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #462 on: February 24, 2024, 07:43:17 PM »
Hey I was all in on Trey Lance and don't believe he got a fair shake.  But with Purdy I just kept an open mind.  He's really good.  Definitely made a  believer out of me after watching every one of his starts the past two seasons. 

In addition to game film, which is most persuasive to me, just look at his numbers.  He has won almost every game he has started.  He led all NFL QBs in numerous categories this season.  He set the all-time Niner QB passing record.  He led three go ahead scoring drives in the fourth quarter and overtime of the Super Bowl.  He processes and sees the field as well as anyone I've seen. 

I think it would be a mistake to break up the best roster in the NFL.  They don't need an overhaul.  They need tweaks.  Their biggest needs are right tackle, right guard, and corner depth.  They also need a solid answer at DE opposite Bosa.  Will also have a hole to fill with Greenlaw likely out for the year.  That's a huge loss because he is a stud. 

But overall, I don't think it makes sense to trade for someone else when you have someone in the building who has performed at such a high level for two seasons now.   

i see your points, the 49ers would've won if they didn't change the OT rules

but i think they can easily replace any pro bowl player they trade, this is essentially their 3rd different super bowl roster and 3rd different quarterback since 2012 so nobody on their team should be untouchable considering how well they draft and scout

a top QB would make them unstoppable and that is not easy to find in the draft, i don't think purdy is that guy

E
E

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #463 on: February 25, 2024, 12:43:21 AM »

I think it had more to do with McNabb. He was not a winner. Some people just can’t rise to the occasion. He’s the epitome of one of those people who hoped for defeat to relieve the pressure from himself.
Kinda like Lamar.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #464 on: February 26, 2024, 10:41:31 AM »
Lawrence is way better than Purdy. He took a terrible team to the playoffs in his 2nd year. Purdy is playing on an all star team.

There is no way I would draft Caleb Williams. He is going to be a locker room cancer.

How is Lawrence way better than Purdy?  Not statistically, because Purdy's numbers are better in pretty much every category:  TDs, INTs, completion percentage, yards, yards per attempt, passer rating, etc. 

If you are basing it on the eyeball test, I've only watched Lawrence play a few times, so I don't have a completely informed opinion about him, but I have watched every one of Purdy's starts.  Purdy isn't successful solely because of his supporting cast.  He is reading the field, putting the ball on the money, has great pocket presence, etc.   

Regarding Wiliams, I don't think I've seen a mock draft projection that doesn't have him going No. 1 overall.  The more interesting question to me is who gets Justin Fields? I just read a projection having him go to the Steelers.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #465 on: February 26, 2024, 10:56:32 AM »
i see your points, the 49ers would've won if they didn't change the OT rules

but i think they can easily replace any pro bowl player they trade, this is essentially their 3rd different super bowl roster and 3rd different quarterback since 2012 so nobody on their team should be untouchable considering how well they draft and scout

a top QB would make them unstoppable and that is not easy to find in the draft, i don't think purdy is that guy

E

Purdy is miles ahead of Kaepernick and Jimmy G.  Plus Kaepernick played under a different coach and system with different players.     

If you are looking at stats, Purdy is one of the best QBs in the NFL the past two seasons.  If you're looking at wins, he took the team to the NFC Championship game last year and likely would have beaten the Eagles if he didn't get hurt.  And he led his team to the Super Bowl this year and played well enough for them to win.  He has won almost every game he has started.  What more do you want from a QB? 

Have you actually watched him play? 

Check out this summary.  Sounds like a top QB to me. 

Brock Purdy's regular season year is done. Here's where he ranks statistically.
This season - Overall numbers

1st in passer rating.

1st in ESPN's QBR

2nd in TD Passes

2nd in completion percentage

1st in yards per attempt

20th in passing attempts

2nd in passing yards

This season - Advanced stats

1st in success rate

1st in ANY/A

10 in intended air yards per attempt

1st in YAC per completion

1st in EPA per play

1st in CPOE

Historical:

Purdy has the best EPA per play since 2012, best success rate in 2012, and the 4th best CPOE below russell wilson, peyton manning and drew brees.

Purdy has the best yards per attempt since Kurt Warner's 2000 MVP season(9.6)

Purdy has the best ANY/A since Matt Ryan's MVP season(Purdy is at 9.01 and Ryan was at 9.03)

Overall this is a historically great QB season and we haven't seen a QB elevate a Shanahan offense like this since Matt Ryan. Purdy is also pretty clearly the best QB the niners have had since Steve Young.

https://www.reddit.com/r/49ers/comments/18w6yuf/brock_purdys_regular_season_year_is_done_heres/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #466 on: February 26, 2024, 02:13:58 PM »
From RGIII:

Robert Griffin III
@RGIII
The truth is Brock Purdy was the best QB in the NFL THIS SEASON. He showed that he can play at a Super Bowl level, no moment is to big for him and the real Mr. Irrelevants are the opinions of those who tear him down to prop themselves up.

Robert Griffin III
@RGIII
Brock Purdy THIS SEASON
1st in QBR, Passer Rating, Yards per attempt, TD% per pass attempt, EPA per  play
3rd in Completed Air Yds per Attempt (meaning he isn’t a check down merchant)
4th in Completion %
5th in Passing Yards

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #467 on: February 26, 2024, 06:27:17 PM »
Kinda like Lamar.

Shots fired!

Seriously though, until he can prove otherwise, Lamar is a choker.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #468 on: February 26, 2024, 07:06:26 PM »
Purdy is miles ahead of Kaepernick and Jimmy G.  Plus Kaepernick played under a different coach and system with different players.     

If you are looking at stats, Purdy is one of the best QBs in the NFL the past two seasons.  If you're looking at wins, he took the team to the NFC Championship game last year and likely would have beaten the Eagles if he didn't get hurt.  And he led his team to the Super Bowl this year and played well enough for them to win.  He has won almost every game he has started.  What more do you want from a QB? 

Have you actually watched him play? 

Check out this summary.  Sounds like a top QB to me. 

Brock Purdy's regular season year is done. Here's where he ranks statistically.
This season - Overall numbers

1st in passer rating.

1st in ESPN's QBR

2nd in TD Passes

2nd in completion percentage

1st in yards per attempt

20th in passing attempts

2nd in passing yards

This season - Advanced stats

1st in success rate

1st in ANY/A

10 in intended air yards per attempt

1st in YAC per completion

1st in EPA per play

1st in CPOE

Historical:

Purdy has the best EPA per play since 2012, best success rate in 2012, and the 4th best CPOE below russell wilson, peyton manning and drew brees.

Purdy has the best yards per attempt since Kurt Warner's 2000 MVP season(9.6)

Purdy has the best ANY/A since Matt Ryan's MVP season(Purdy is at 9.01 and Ryan was at 9.03)

Overall this is a historically great QB season and we haven't seen a QB elevate a Shanahan offense like this since Matt Ryan. Purdy is also pretty clearly the best QB the niners have had since Steve Young.

https://www.reddit.com/r/49ers/comments/18w6yuf/brock_purdys_regular_season_year_is_done_heres/

i'm just going by the eyeball test, i watched the playoff games and the game against the steelers, a little bit of the christmas game against the ravens

i could be wrong, but i am not confident in him

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #469 on: February 26, 2024, 11:02:21 PM »
i'm just going by the eyeball test, i watched the playoff games and the game against the steelers, a little bit of the christmas game against the ravens

i could be wrong, but i am not confident in him

E

Well that is the best way to evaluate a player IMO.  Stats matter, but I definitely trust what I see more than numbers. 

Keep in mind this is only his second year in the league.  More of a rhetorical question, but how many QBs have you seen have this kind of success in their first two years in the league?  And he will only get better, especially when they shore up the right side of the o-line.   

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #470 on: February 27, 2024, 12:23:23 AM »
Well that is the best way to evaluate a player IMO.  Stats matter, but I definitely trust what I see more than numbers. 

Keep in mind this is only his second year in the league.  More of a rhetorical question, but how many QBs have you seen have this kind of success in their first two years in the league?  And he will only get better, especially when they shore up the right side of the o-line.   
He has been very successful but how many QB's have ever had that kind of talent around them?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #471 on: February 27, 2024, 11:44:15 AM »
He has been very successful but how many QB's have ever had that kind of talent around them?

Lots of QBs have played with talented rosters.  But a talented roster isn't the reason Purdy sees the field as well as he does, goes through his progressions, finds the open receiver, hits them in stride in tight windows, has great pocket presence and can scramble pretty well.

I do agree that having talented skill position players definitely helps, but I cannot discount what I've seen the past two years.  Also, if you look at the Super Bowl, he completed big time passes to the third and fourth receivers (Jennings and McCloud).  In fact, Jennings might have been the MVP if they could have completed his last pass attempt for a TD late in the game.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #472 on: February 27, 2024, 07:26:01 PM »
Pretty cool gesture and shows what the top defensive coordinator in the NFL thinks about Purdy:

“I think Brock Purdy… is terrific,” said Spagnuolo. “I didn’t find many (holes in his game).” Purdy finished the game with 23 completions for 255 yards and a touchdown.

The 49ers were marching down the field in overtime with chances at scoring a touchdown but were stalled by the Chiefs’ stingy defense. Purdy was sharp on the drive, showing poise under intense pressure from Chris Jones and others, garnering respect from Spagnuolo.

“I’ll be honest with you. I just texted Brock (Purdy) the other day,” Spagnuolo explained. “I tried to track down his number. I just wanted to tell him how much respect I have for him. What a terrific game he played. He’s such a quality guy, a strong Christian man, and I respect him.”

. . . .

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/26/kansas-city-chiefs-steve-spagnuolo-texted-san-francisco-49ers-brock-purdy-after-super-bowl-lviii/

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #473 on: February 28, 2024, 03:24:47 PM »

plenty of guys looked good their first two years and then fell off the map and regressed

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #474 on: February 28, 2024, 06:44:10 PM »
plenty of guys looked good their first two years and then fell off the map and regressed

E

I cannot recall any who went to the NFC Championship and Super Bowl in the their first two years, and then regressed.  If there are some, there cannot be that many. 

Overall, I think people just cannot get over the fact that Purdy was the last pick in the draft.  If he was a first round pick they would be talking about him like was Peyton Manning.  (No I'm not saying he's as good as Manning.)