Author Topic: Liberal Hypocrisy  (Read 95340 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Liberal Hypocrisy
« on: July 23, 2014, 09:07:26 AM »
Another anti-capitalist liberal hypocrite.

MICHAEL MOORE OWNS 9 HOMES
by JOHN NOLTE  23 Jul 2014

Added: The Smoking Gun was the first outlet to report this, and did so weeks ago.

According to the Detroit News, anti-capitalism "everyman" filmmaker Michael Moore owns 9 homes. On top of a $2 million, 10,000 square foot lakefront mansion in Torch Lake, Michigan, there is a Manhattan condo that was once 3 condos, and 7 other properties. Moore's secret role as a land baron was revealed in divorce papers:

The filmmaker, 60, who split his time between a home here and one in New York, is leaving his wife of 22 years, Kathy Glynn.

His hit movies and best-selling books have begat a lifestyle far from most ballcap-wearing, duck-waddling denizens of Flint.

Moore and Glynn own nine properties in Michigan and New York, including a Manhattan condo that once was three apartments. CelebrityNetWorth.com pegs their wealth at $50 million.

In legal pleadings, Moore blames his wife for the expansion of the 10,000-square-foot home on Torch Lake, which has a value of $2 million.
Since his 1989 "Roger and Me," Michael Moore has earned upwards of $50 million trashing capitalism.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/07/23/michael-moore-owns-9-homes

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Re: Liberal Hypocrisy
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:08:27 AM »
NBC Discovers Hypocrisy of Michael Moore's Wealth; Used Him to Bash Wall Street in Past
By Kyle Drennen | July 23, 2014

On Wednesday, NBC's Today offered a surprising full report on "filmmaker and liberal activist" Michael Moore tarnishing his "blue-collar, anti-capitalist image" after it was revealed during divorce proceedings that Moore and his now ex-wife lived in a Michigan mansion, "the 10,000-square-foot house, reportedly in the same neighborhood as Madonna and Bruce Willis." [Listen to the audio or watch the video after the jump]

Back in 2009, the morning show invited Moore on the broadcast to bash big bonuses for Wall Street executives. In part, Moore ranted against the wealthy business leaders living in "gated communities" and "castles with moats around them." Perhaps Moore should have remembered that people living in giant mansions shouldn't throw stones.

During the Thursday report, correspondent Gabe Gutierrez described: "Deep in northern Michigan, this lake-front mansion is the talk of the town....It belongs to one of the state's most well-known celebrities. Not Eminem or Kid Rock, no, this $2 million home on Torch Lake is owned by filmmaker Michael Moore and his wife of twenty-two years, Kathleen Glynn."

The segment featured a clip of Moore "slamming the one percent at this Occupy Wall Street protest" in 2011. Gutierrez then explained: "The new court documents reveal Moore and his now ex-wife shared properties in Michigan and New York. The Detroit News reports the couple owned nine total."

Wrapping up the story, Gutierrez observed: "Already exposed, what some in this small Michigan town feel is a contradiction between Moore's common-man persona and his uncommon wealth."

Story Continues Below Ad ↓

Here is a full transcript of the July 23 report:

7:20 AM ET TEASE:

SAVANNAH GUTHRIE: Coming up, a controversial divorce reveals the true wealth of Michael Moore. The question is, will it hurt his image as an every man?

7:32 AM ET SEGMENT:

MATT LAUER: Let's start, though, with a career – a guy who built a career on a blue-collar down-to-earth image. But a potentially messy divorce just finalized is painting a somewhat different picture of filmmaker and liberal activist Michael Moore. Here's NBC's Gabe Gutierrez.

[ON-SCREEN HEADLINE: "Moore" Money, More Problems; Blue-Collar Director's Wealth Revealed in Divorce]

GABE GUTIERREZ: Deep in northern Michigan, this lake-front mansion is the talk of the town.

UNIDENTIFIED MAN: The way he lives is not how the common man lives.

UNIDENTIFIED MAN B: I think he's earned it.

GUTIERREZ: It belongs to one of the state's most well-known celebrities. Not Eminem or Kid Rock, no, this $2 million home on Torch Lake is owned by filmmaker Michael Moore and his wife of twenty-two years, Kathleen Glynn.

UNIDENTIFIED WOMAN: I am disappointed in what appears to me to be a conflict in his values and what he represents.

GUTIERREZ: But now the pair just settled a high-profile divorce. In court filings, Moore had blamed his wife for going overboard in expanding the 10,000-square-foot house, reportedly in the same neighborhood as Madonna and Bruce Willis.

MICHAEL MOORE: Hi, I'm Michael Moore.

GUTIERREZ: Ever since his 1989 documentary Roger & Me...

MOORE: Do you think it's a little dangerous hanging out with guns in a bank?

GUTIERREZ: ...and other films like Bowling for Columbine and Fahrenheit 9/11, Moore had built a blue-collar, anti-capitalist image.

MOORE: I am one person. This is a movement of millions of voices.

GUTIERREZ: Slamming the one percent at this Occupy Wall Street protest.

The new court documents reveal Moore and his now ex-wife shared properties in Michigan and New York. The Detroit News reports the couple owned nine total. No comment from her lawyer. And Moore's attorney would only say the couple has "mutually and amicably reached a divorce settlement."

LISA BLOOM [LEGAL ANALYST]: Very smart for Michael Moore to settle this matter. Even if he could have gotten more money, it's so important to his public image that he not be bickering with his wife of twenty years and having all of that dirty laundry exposed.

GUTIERREZ: Already exposed, what some in this small Michigan town feel is a contradiction between Moore's common-man persona and his uncommon wealth. For Today, Gabe Gutierrez, NBC News.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/kyle-drennen/2014/07/23/nbc-discovers-hypocrisy-michael-moores-wealth-used-him-bash-wall-stree#ixzz38JBVqnQ6

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 09:33:29 AM »
How is Moore "anti-capitalist"

Just because he criticizes the criminality of Wall Street and has issues with income inequality, wealth disparity, etc. doesn't make him "anti-capitalist"

I'm pretty sure you have to pay to see his movies

Just more bullshit from the right wing echo chamber

The question I have is do they know this meme is bullshit or are they really this stupid?

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 09:51:02 AM »

Just because he criticizes the criminality of Wall Street and has issues with income inequality, wealth disparity, etc. doesn't make him "anti-capitalist"

The question I have is do they know this meme is bullshit or are they really this stupid?

His movie Capitalism: a love story, while it does have some funny/good parts, is clearly anti capitalist especially towards the end...it absolutely derides capitalism as a concept.

Surely you can see the hilarious irony in the guy who has made tons of wealth in a capitalist system...by bashing the wealthy and the capitalist system.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 10:04:10 AM »

::)

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 10:09:38 AM »

um yeah he made a movie showing how bad capitalism is.  and thousands of people went to see it and he made millions of dollars off of it. 

its called "fleecing the sheep".  and I think its hilarious. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 10:14:45 AM »
His movie Capitalism: a love story, while it does have some funny/good parts, is clearly anti capitalist especially towards the end...it absolutely derides capitalism as a concept.

Surely you can see the hilarious irony in the guy who has made tons of wealth in a capitalist system...by bashing the wealthy and the capitalist system.

I assume you purchased a ticket to that movie (or in some way or another paid to see it)

Wasn't it mostly about the financial crisis, and the various abuses of our current form of capitalism?

I can't recall but did he speak out against the ownership of private property in that movie (I honestly can't recall which is why I am asking).  

BTW - according to this site (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=michaelmoore09.htm) the film cost 20 million to make and only grossed ~ 17.5 million worldwide so he definitely failed at that capitalist experiment (and I'm sure he would have preferred to have made a profit).  Granted I'm sure a large part of that 20 million in expenses was Moore's catering bill.  

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 10:17:55 AM »
um yeah he made a movie showing how bad capitalism is.  and thousands of people went to see it and he made millions of dollars off of it. 

its called "fleecing the sheep".  and I think its hilarious. 

he actually lost money

I assume you're aware of the difference between revenue and profit

If you aren't aware of some of the abuses of our current form of capitalism then you're most definitely part of the herd that is being fleeced

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 10:20:21 AM »
I am not a Michael Moore fan.  I think he's a fat loud mouthed slob.   His 911 movie was over dramatized and manipulative as far as i am concerned.

I didn't watch Capitalism a love story because of it.

But unless he's a member of the communist party, i don't see how its a direct hypocrisy.  Not even a indirectly really.

He's a capitalist for sure that has some issues about some facets or products of capitalism.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 10:26:25 AM »
I am not a Michael Moore fan.  I think he's a fat loud mouthed slob.   His 911 movie was over dramatized and manipulative as far as i am concerned.

I didn't watch Capitalism a love story because of it.

But unless he's a member of the communist party, i don't see how its a direct hypocrisy.  Not even a indirectly really.

He's a capitalist for sure that has some issues about some facets or products of capitalism.

You don't see a contradiction between someone railing against capitalism while at same time profiting off of capitalism?  And it's not just profiting, it's placing himself in the top one percent, using an anti-capaitalist message to get there.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 10:28:43 AM »
You don't see a contradiction between someone railing against capitalism while at same time profiting off of capitalism?  And it's not just profiting, it's placing himself in the top one percent, using an anti-capaitalist message to get there.

Or telling us we need to be more like Cuba?   ::)  ::)  ::)

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 10:37:27 AM »
You don't see a contradiction between someone railing against capitalism while at same time profiting off of capitalism?  And it's not just profiting, it's placing himself in the top one percent, using an anti-capaitalist message to get there.

Was he railing against the entire concept of capitalism or a facet or what he sees as an abuses with-in the frame work capitalism?

Like i said, if he's a member of the communist party promoting it and such, then YES he's a hypocrite.  But criticizing abuses?  NO.

That's like calling me a Raider fan if i say the Niner's O-line was over rated in 2013.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 10:40:01 AM »
Was he railing against the entire concept of capitalism or a facet or what he sees as an abuses with-in the frame work capitalism?

Like i said, if he's a member of the communist party promoting it and such, then YES he's a hypocrite.  But criticizing abuses?  NO.

That's like calling me a Raider fan if i say the Niner's O-line was over rated in 2013.

The entire concept

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 10:43:16 AM »

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 10:45:05 AM »

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
The entire concept

if so (and I don't agree) then what was he advocating as an alternative

did he suggest that the state should own everything or did he suggest we go back to a feudal system or something else.

or was he just pointing out some of the flaws and abuses in our current form of capitalism?

Why is it that right wingers tend to see everything as black or white (yes, left wingers are prone to this too so maybe I should just say right/left ideologues)?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 10:46:38 AM »

another failed youtube clip posted  IF......

that's your "proof" he's against the concept of capitalism.  Sounds like he's against outsourcing and low corporate/rich taxes.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 10:48:12 AM »
he actually lost money

I assume you're aware of the difference between revenue and profit

If you aren't aware of some of the abuses of our current form of capitalism then you're most definitely part of the herd that is being fleeced

Moore didn't lose anything. The movie might have lost but he still made his money...a lot of money.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 10:49:28 AM »

did you even watch that before you posted it

he talks about raising taxes and bringing jobs back to America

wow - shocking

We've never heard anyone say that before

Dude - just go back to posting about how Obama is gay and stay out of the way of people trying to discuss/debate a topic

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 10:50:53 AM »
Moore didn't lose anything. The movie might have lost but he still made his money...a lot of money.

You are truly a dunce aren't you?

He spent 20 million and made about 17.5 million in revenue

Have one of your 8th graders do the math for you

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 10:52:10 AM »

wow - shocking

Dude - just go back to posting about how Obama is gay and stay out of the way of people trying to discuss/debate a topic

He engages in the very behavior he rails against. 

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 10:52:53 AM »

wow - shocking

I didn't see the clip but raising taxes is a way to turn business away, not bring them back.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 10:53:56 AM »
He engages in the very behavior he rails against. 

Rallies against what?

do you understand English?

Did you even watch your clip?

Prolly not.  Just being the robot parrot again.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 10:55:29 AM »
I didn't see the clip but raising taxes is a way to turn business away, not bring them back.

Maybe you should take 1 minute and 17 seconds and watch the clip.

Show us where he's against the concept of capitalism.

Bonus task:  Show us where he's against what he sees as abuses with in the frame work of capitalism.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 10:55:51 AM »
How does tacking other peoples' money giving it to the govt for more taxes create more jobs?   LOL - only two californication nut cakes can explain that one.