Author Topic: odds and ends [bodybuilding related.  (Read 74900 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: odds and ends [bodybuilding related.
« Reply #450 on: September 28, 2022, 09:59:35 AM »
 ;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #451 on: September 29, 2022, 04:36:47 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #452 on: September 29, 2022, 05:56:21 AM »
  Logical Strength Training -- Shinobu Shimizu (2022)

I'm finding stuff in this book. It's aimed at pitchers, baseball pitchers, but I'm finding stuff in this book. Plenty of varied stuff on several lifting topics. Strength training and bodybuilding is dealt with.

Go Shinobu!

Here's a small excerpt on DB curling. The whole deal behind this book is asking yourself WHY you're doing what you do in the gym. There's much more in here of course, but here's a small excerpt on DB curling . . .

DUMBBELL CURLS:
There's a big difference between doing "hard curls" and "easy curls."

Irrational Strength Training - Dumbbell Curls. Using lots of momentum, moving the arms straight down to a position in which the elbows are fully bent in a single movement.

Logical Strength Training - Dumbbell Curls. Pull your elbows back as you lift the dumbbells. When you lower the dumbbells, move your elbows  forward. Even if you use lighter dumbbells than what you would with "irrational" form, the load will be greater.

Dumbbell curls are usually one of the first exercises that people do when they want to get bigger arms or work on their biceps. I want to think about this from a bodybuilding standpoint . . .

Mush of your success in bodybuilding is determined by whether you are using a technique that effectively places a load on the muscle. In other words, a person who performs this exercise using the more demanding technique will build their biceps faster, while a person who uses the less demanding technique will build their biceps at a slower pace. The difference in the way you perform the exercise leads to a stark separation between the "logical" and the "irrational."

The key point that differentiates the more demanding technique from the easy technique is the positioning of the elbows.

Even if it's a bit more demanding, people who are conscious of fully engaging the biceps when raising dumbbells will often raise and lower them while moving their elbows back and forth. When they curls the dumbbells upward, they pull their elbows back slightly and raise the bells slowly. When lowering, they do it slowly while moving their elbows forward and stop the movement at the bottom with the dumbbells at an angle. See illustration.

This is a method that uses leverage principles -- it applies the load of the dumbbell to the biceps from the beginning to the end of the movement. Of course, your arms are going to burn like crazy, but the harder it is, the more efficiently you can train your biceps.

Now, what about the "irrational" easy version of this exercise?

It involves raising and lowering the dumbbells as if your goal was simply to move them back and forth from directly below your elbow to directly above your elbow.  Of course, there is little or no load placed on the target muscles if you're holding the dumbbells straight down with your elbows extended. Likewise, if you raise the dumbbells to directly above your elbows, the weight is supported by the straight bones of your forearm, so there is very little load on the muscles.

Both the positions directly below your elbow and above your elbow act as "resting positions" in which your biceps take a breather.

That is to say, people who do the "easy" version just move the dumbbells from the resting position directly below to the resting position directly above. In addition, most people who employ this method often use exaggerated movement and momentum to swing the dumbbells in one quick motion from down to up. If you lift the dumbbell in a quick, jerking motion like this, the arms bear very little of the load and there are very few situations where lifting like this will actually stimulate your biceps. The epitome of irrational.

Again, dumbbell curls are a biceps workout. But what happens if you were to do this kind of "easy lift' on a regular basis? Naturally, your biceps will get little to no training, and you'll end up wondering why the hell you're even training with next to no gains at all.

[Now, consider all your other exercise movements, and the way you have chosen to perform them to build muscle and strength.

In addition, there are many people who fall into the "weight trap" when they do such irrational training.

You can lift super-heavy dumbbells that people around you may hesitate to lift, if you put a lot of effort into lifting them from directly below your elbow to directly above your elbow. The person who does this may feel fairly pleased as people around him look and say, "Wow, you can lift such heavy dumbbells."

But no matter how heavy the dumbbells you lift, what's the point of doing it if it's not training your muscles? If you want to make your biceps bigger, then using lighter weight dumbbells with more demanding form would provide a much more effective workout. Logical people use a form that considers how to avoid merely moving the dumbbells from directly below to directly above the elbow.

As I mentioned earlier, it is very easy to get carried away with arm training, and many people fall into the "weight trap" without even realizing it. In many cases, they lose sight of their original training objectives when they get caught up in the moment.

That's why I want you to go back to the basics of why you are doing this, and train without losing sight of your purpose or yourself.

The best way to shift from Irrational Strength Training to Logical Strength Training is to THINK ABOUT WHY YOU ARE DOING THIS.

Next: "Squeezing your butt" is the basis of lower body strength training. Plenty of stuff in this one.

Note: That reads "squeezing YOUR butt."

Enjoy Your Lifting!   
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #453 on: September 30, 2022, 03:56:34 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #454 on: September 30, 2022, 04:00:35 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #455 on: September 30, 2022, 06:58:09 AM »
   Steroids in Muscle Mags
Muscle Power in 1951The first report or first mention of androgens in bodybuilders’ magazines was published in the American magazine ‘Muscle Power’ in 1951. The author Earle Liederman, began the article with the line: “New medical muscle growth” and writes about a congress in San Francisco last year. He said that scientists had found a new treatment to cure diseases. The name of the new wonder drug, methyl androstenediol, is said to stimulate the growth of body tissue, and Earle Liederman says he is completely new and unfamiliar with such a drug. [11]

I would even claim that the above mentioned athletes trained and built up muscles without the use of steroids. How did the strength athletes train? Some of them also talked in their books about controlling the muscle, breathing and willpower and preached this training principle to their students!
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #457 on: October 02, 2022, 01:04:50 PM »

&t=224s   
F

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #458 on: October 02, 2022, 02:15:22 PM »

&t=224s   

I bet they either don't mention it or downplay the(ir) use of drugs.  Fuck 'em both. Liars.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #460 on: October 04, 2022, 09:17:03 AM »
   William Emmett Smith was a Korean War vet and an actor with a career spanning more than 75 years.
Smith was born on March 24, 1933, in Columbia, Missouri and grew up on the cattle ranch owned by his parents. His family later moved to Southern California, where he began his acting career at the age of eight in 1942; entering films as a child actor in such films as The Ghost of Frankenstein, The Song of Bernadette and Meet Me in St. Louis.
Smith served in the United States Air Force. A fluent Russian speaker, during the Korean War Smith was a Russian Intercept Interrogator and flew secret ferret missions over the Russian SFSR.
He was reportedly also fluent in French, German and Serbo-Croatian. He had both CIA and NSA clearances and intended to enter a classified position with the U.S. government, but while he was working on his doctorate studies he landed an acting contract with MGM.
He won the 200-pound World arm-wrestling championship multiple times and also won the United States Air Force weightlifting championship. A lifelong bodybuilder, Smith was a record holder for reverse-curling his own body weight. Smith also held a 31–1 record as an amateur boxer.
In the years from 1961 to 2014, Smith established himself as a highly prolific and profoundly talented character actor with roles in a diverse range of genres. Although often typecast as an anti-social personality, he sporadically got other kinds of roles as a law enforcement officer or an anti-heroic protagonist. His list of starring roles is actually too long to list on this post but he was in everything.
William Smith sadly died on July 5, 2021, at the age of 88.
The Giant Killer book & page honors these incredible war heroes making sure their stories of valor and sacrifice are never forgotten. The book which features the incredible life of the smallest soldier, Green Beret Captain Richard Flaherty (101st Airborne & 3rd SF Group) and several of the other heroes featured on this page is available on Amazon & Walmart.
God Bless our Vets!
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #461 on: October 06, 2022, 04:18:15 AM »

F

Cook

• Getbig IV
« Reply #462 on: October 06, 2022, 04:37:00 AM »
   https://www.thebarbell.com/10-strongest-nfl-players-ever/
Randy White came to our gym back around 1980 and worked out.He was in the conversation as strongest NFL player. I remember he benched 405 for several reps. I wish I had counted but didn’t.He was lifting it pretty easy but was also pretty loose on his form.To his credit he is pushing 70 years old and is still in shape

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #463 on: October 06, 2022, 06:04:18 AM »
Randy White came to our gym back around 1980 and worked out.He was in the conversation as strongest NFL player. I remember he benched 405 for several reps. I wish I had counted but didn’t.He was lifting it pretty easy but was also pretty loose on his form.To his credit he is pushing 70 years old and is still in shape
    ONE FOR THE AGES: WHITE VS. MILLEN * WHEN MATT MILLEN ARM WRESTLED RANDY WHITE IN HIS SENIOR YEAR AT WHITEHALL, THE SPARKS FLEW. AND WHITE WON.

It was not uncommon in the fall and winter of 1975-76 to find Division I college football coaches shooting free throws in the Whitehall High School gym.

The NCAA placed virtually no restrictions on recruiting, so coaches could spend hours in one place. At Whitehall, they would do almost anything to make themselves attractive to three big Zephyr linemen -- Matt Millen, Ed Gall and Gary Wagner.

One of the most aggressive approaches was that of the University of Maryland.

Gib Romaine, an assistant coach under Jerry Claibourne, had been coached by Whitehall Head Coach Andy Melosky at East Stroudsburg University in 1964 and used that relationship as a lever to get in the door.

Sleep The Pounds Away: How Sleep Can Help You Lose WeightSPONSORED CONTENT
Sleep The Pounds Away: How Sleep Can Help You Lose Weight
Did you know getting enough sleep could help you lose weight? We're sharing 5 ways sleep can help boost your results.

By Jenny Craig
Most of the colleges took their best shots with their head coaches. Maryland went a step further.

The Terps sent Randy White, who recently had finished his rookie season with the Dallas Cowboys, to entice Millen to choose Maryland.

"Randy spent a week here," Melosky remembered. "He spent a lot of time with me, trying to get insight about Matt. He worked out with Matt in the weight room and followed him around."

Millen, who by his senior year was obsessed with lifting weights, welcomed the new partner, who during his Maryland career had been tabbed "Manster -- half man, half monster."

"The last day, we were up there benching and I'm going with him pound for pound," Millen said. "He did 405 (pounds) twice, I did it twice and that was it. I said to myself, 'This guy is taking the NFL by storm and that's all he can do? I'm 17; he's not that special.' "

At the conclusion of White's stay, he asked Melosky to call Millen out of class for one last goodbye. Neither would have dared predict what followed.

"Matt said to Randy, 'You know, I worked out with you all week. Every place I visited, I challenged the toughest guy on the team in arm wrestling,'-" Melosky remembered.

White, who had won all kinds of honors in his college career, wasn't about to back down from the challenge.

So, with Melosky as the referee, the two big linemen went at it.

"Matt got the jump, and he was about half an inch from putting Randy away," Melosky said. "Then Randy started to come back, and he finally put Matt down."

"I go 'Bam' and I have him and I say, 'You're goin' down!' " Millen said. "I look up at him and he's goin' like this (a smirk on his face) and I say, 'Uh-oh.' He almost tore my arm off. He slammed it."

Millen and White stood up and pushed one another. Then Millen went a step too far.

"I thought, 'Well, why not,' and I went after him; I smashed him," Millen added, demonstrating how he cupped his hands and hit White on both sides of his head at the ears. Hard. "He picked me straight up and he said something like, 'Punk, I'll see you in four years and we'll settle this.' That was fine by me. I thought I'd never see Randy White again."

"I told Matt to get back to class," Melosky said, "and Randy said, 'You don't know how close I came to really getting into it. But I'll tell you, there's not a stronger guy at Maryland than him.'-"

White was unable to steer Millen to Maryland, but Gall became a Terp and was in the starting defensive lineup as a freshman. Wagner, like Millen, chose Penn State, but he played only one season for the Nittany Lions (1979).

And in the 1980 NFL season, the Oakland Raiders played the Dallas Cowboys. After a Raiders touchdown, the teams lined up for the extra point. Millen was on one side. White was directly across from him.

"My responsibility was first to seal inside, then look outside, so I made the block, the kick was off and I started walking away," Millen said.

"All of a sudden I feel this punch in the back. I turned around and said, 'Hi, Randy' and he said, 'Hi, Matt.' He remembered me. Once I got to know him, we laughed about it."

The following fields overflowed:

SERIES = SPORTS CENTURY:TOP TEN LOCAL ATHLETES---THE LEHIGH VALLEY HAS PRODUCED MANY GREAT ATHLETES IN THIS CENTURY. IN OUR CONTINUING SERIES, WE TAKE AN IN-DEPTH LOOK AT WHAT WE CONSIDER THE TOP 10, BOTH IN ABILITY AND IN THE IMPACT THEY HAVE HAD NATIONALLY AND WORLDWIDE. TODAY'S STORY IS NO. 7 MATT MILLEN.

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #464 on: October 06, 2022, 11:49:07 AM »

&t=43s
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #466 on: October 07, 2022, 10:37:29 AM »
   ERNIE FRANTZ ... THE GODFATHER OF POWERLIFTING
Ernie Frantz, born in Chicago, Illinois in 1934, remains the remarkable strength athlete who won numerous World's Powerlifting Championships and shattered several world records.
Brought up in a poverty-stricken section of Chicago, Frantz recalled,"I did a lot of smoking, drinking and fighting when I was a kid headed in the wrong direction. I didn't like school, but thankfully my dad was strict.
Interestingly, it is as an advisor/administrator, not a strength athlete, in which Ernie made his most significent contributions to the sport of powerlifting.
 Frantz joined the United States Army, at  the age of 16 and served for three years in the Koean War, receiving two Bronze Stars. During one of many conflicts, he captured three Korean soldiers after rescuing an American soldier that had been wounded.
Discharged in 1953, Frantz spent his spare time bodybuilding and working as a volunteer for a local YMCA, where he conducted bodybuilding classes and supervised teen activities.
Tragedy struck in the mid-1950's when Ernie's wife died of breast cancer, leaving him with their two-year-old daughter. "My life seemed to go up in smoke," he recalled. "I had money in the bank, but it was the depression. I went back to smoking and drinking for about a year before my dad told me to stand in front of a truck if I wanted to kill myself.
His comment brought me back to reality. I went into police work and became the Chief of Police for a small town in  Illinois. I began raising wards of the courand they turned out great. One is a policeman and another, an FBI agent."
In 1962, Ernie established his famous gym, Frantz Health Spa. In 1970, he received a Bachelor's degree in recreation and worked with the State of Illinois as corrrection officer for 13 years. He also earned his Master's degree during that peroid.
Frantz entered the 1974 World's  Powerlifting Championship and the AAU Mr. USA physique contest. Both events   were held on the same day with the contests 12 miles apart. He won the 181-pound class in the powerlifting meet, than placed third in his height division at the physique contest.
By the late 1970's, drug use in sports had become commplace in Olympic events. However, powerlifting is not an Olmpic activity, and it was left to elected officials of the United States Powerlifting Federation (USPF) to decide to test, or not to test their athletes.  Some USPF officals wanted to test only at major meets, but those similar to Frantz opposed.
This came to a head when the International Powerlifting Federation (IPF) voted to drug test at international meets and to require the national federations to do the same. 
In 1982,  faced by this threat,  Frantz founded the American Powerlifting Federation (APF). He said, "I don't believe in any testing, whatsoever, at  any time." An advisement for his APF stated, "Don't be dictated to! Lift the way you want to lift! You don't want testing? We don't have any."
Frantz's APF events attracted the top powerlifters because of his honesty. He  openly admitted that he wanted to compete with steroid users.
However, when the USPF threatened to suspend APF lifters, Ernie took the USPF and the  IPF to court and beat them. His lawsuit, "Frantz vs  United States Powerlifting," changed the sport forever.
The courts ruling demonstrated that if a group did not like the by-laws of a specific federation, they could begin their own and write the rules.
Interestingly, in 1997, Frantz started the American Amateur Powerlifting Federation (AAPF) for those who did not choose to use steroids and other related drugs.
Throughout his years of political struggle, Frantz continued to lift and maintain his strength. In 1997, at the age of 63, he set an APF world record with an 821-pound squat at a body weight of 220 pounds.
He also coached champion lifters, which included his wife, Diana, whom he met in 1975. She began serious powerlifting at the age of 40, and became a USPF and IPF champion. She also broke national and world records in the APF. Early in her career, she was the first woman in the 144-pound class to deadlift over 400 pounds.
In the early 2000's, Ernie remarked, "I'm not rich by any means, but I have a gym, and I've trained the best, however, what I've enjoyed most is working with teenagers, which I've done free of charge for the past 30 years. In 1970, I invented the original wide-stance power rack; the reversed bumper jack to raise the barbell;  the first double squat suit;  the initial Safety Monolift squat rack; belt pullers and the strongest leg wraps. I wrote my first book, The Ten Commandments of Powerlifting, in 1980, and it's still used by the Russians as a training guide.
Diana and I feel lucky to be so happy. She'd like for me to retire, but I still have goals. One is to help teenagers learn the proper way to weight train for safety. Not just in powerlifting,but for every sport."
The "Godfather of Powerlifting," died in early 2021. He was 86-years-old.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #467 on: October 08, 2022, 04:11:45 PM »

F

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #468 on: October 08, 2022, 05:28:02 PM »

Doth mine eyes deceive me or is the Narrow One starting to shrink? :o ;D

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #469 on: October 09, 2022, 01:12:31 AM »
Trained in martial arts as well.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #472 on: October 09, 2022, 11:08:48 AM »
   Arnold’s ‘Golden Six’ routine for strength and size
In the pre-Internet era, sources of information concerning bodybuilding were scant, mostly in the form of bodybuilding and fitness magazines and books written by the great bodybuilding champions, the greatest one being Arnold Schwarzenegger, of course.

Many of his routines published in magazines were body-part split routines he used in the 60s and 70s. However, the majority of these routines were for intermediate and advanced lifters who had already built up a solid strength base and were, therefore, useless for beginners.

These were usually high-volume routines with lots of sets and reps, which while no doubt would have been effective for someone using anabolic anabolics and had above average genetics, would have been futile for a 16-year old guy weighing barely 140 pounds and whose diet primarily consisted of burgers and cakes.

Most beginners do the same mistake during their first gym sessions of trying to do the exact same routine used by professional bodybuilders, in the hopes this would magically transform their physique into that of a Greek statue.

However, this was not the way Arnold first started out in the gym, nor the way he made most of his physique.

Even though Arnold is famous for the high-volume body split routines he published in various Weider magazines when he first started training he emulated the training philosophy of his idol and future mentor, the legend Reg Park.

Arnold said that he had found out everything he could about his idol and bought all the magazines containing his training programs. He said he had learned how Reg started training, what he ate, about his lifestyle and the way he performed his workouts. He practically became obsessed.

The Austrian Oak managed to build his strength foundation by performing full-body training such as Park’s 5×5 strength routine and later his own “Golden Six” routine which we’re going to look into in this article.

By the time he won his first ‘Mr. Olympia’ title, when Arnold started using anabolic s******s and had increased his training volume and intensity, he had already succeeded in building an imposing physique by using his basic full body workout routines as his main base.

ARNOLD ‘GOLDEN SIX’ ROUTINE

arnold golden six routine
Arnold’s “golden six” routine was a training program consisting of 6 key movements which Arnold did when he started training at a gym in Munich and according to him, one of the programs that he made “remarkable” muscle and strength gains on.

Also, this was the workout routine which he prescribed for all of his personal training clients who were also on a quest to “get huge”.

Arnold claimed that Welsh bodybuilder and former Mr. World Paul Grant used this workout routine and gained more than 60 lbs of lean muscle mass in little less than a year.

His progression was in the form of a gradual increase of the number sets in the first 5 movements, moving up to 4 sets after 3 months and then 6 sets after 6 months.

We should take into consideration, however, that this is the same man who, when attempting to get his first movie role, convinced the producers that he had done Shakespeare back in Austria, so one needs to take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Here’s the lineup for the ‘Golden six’ exercises:

Exercise   Sets   Reps
Barbell squat   4   10
Wide-grip barbell bench press   3   10
Chin-ups   3   To failure
Behind the neck press   4   10
Barbell curls   3   10
Bent knee sit-up   3-4   To failure

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
THE ‘GOLDEN SIX’ WORKOUT CYCLE
Arnold recommends that you do this routine 3 times a week every other day in a 3-month cycle.

HOW TO PROGRESS
Once you’re able to do 2-3 reps above the recommended number increase the load. Strive to increase the weight at every training session.

REST INTERVALS
Rest up to 2 minutes between sets of squats and no more than a minute and a half for the other movements.

TRAINING ADVICE FOR THE “GOLDEN SIX” WORKOUT
The classic full-body workouts done in the ‘Golden Era of bodybuilding’ in the 60s and the 70s are ideal for beginners, especially ectomorphs who are trying to bulk up quickly and build a solid strength base.

These kind of workout routines performed by legends such as John McCallum, Reg Park, Peary Rader and many others have sadly become totally neglected and are under-appreciated by many personal trainers today, which is a total shame, because even though they may not be fashionable or fitness mainstream any more, they are nonetheless the perfect method to lay the foundation for a muscular, strong and well-balanced physique.

The recipe for success is pretty simple: get in, train hard, get out, eat, recover, repeat. It’s really that simple.

When it comes to exercise selection in this routine, one could make a couple of adjustments, like adding in some barbell rows or some deadlifts, because there is a small imbalance between the push and pull exercises here, as well as switching the behind the neck press with a standard overhead press.

Not only does the behind the neck press force the body to move in an unnatural plane of movement which puts your rotator cuffs under a tremendous stress, it is also much harder to progress on it compared to the standard overhead press and as we all know increasing the weight is the main thing you should focus on.

You can also do one more substitution, such as replacing the sit-ups with a more efficient ab movement like the hanging leg raises.

SUMMARY
If you’re just starting out with bodybuilding and are looking for an efficient workout routine to build strength and muscle, ditch the body part splits, isolation movements and other unnecessary stuff, and give Arnold’s ‘Golden six’ routine a try.

In fact, regardless of how advanced you are in your training career, a cycle of this routine will undoubtedly be extremely productive, that is if you’re eating enough of the right foods and recover adequately. It is simple, fun and effective and it comes with Arnold’s seal of approval. What more could anyone want?
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #473 on: October 12, 2022, 04:02:09 AM »
  CLARENCE BASS... LEAN FOR LIFE
Clarence Bass, born in 1937, in Albuquerque, New Mexico, graduated from the University of New Mexico and the University of New Mexico Law School. He practiced law until 1994, and then decided to devote himself to his lifelong interest in fitness and health.
Following a fine career in weightlifting, Clarence moved into bodybuilding and won his height class at the 1979 AAU Past-40 Mr. America contest. He then captured the 1980 AAU Past-40 Mr. USA event. In the latter competition, he also earned the Most Muscular, Best Abs and Best Legs sub-divisions.
Among Bass's numerous achievements is his ability to maintain his body fat at an extremely low level. Tests at the University of New Mexico Human Performance Laboratory measured him at three percent or less.
When asked if he followed a strict diet to remain so lean, Clarence replied, "I don't diet. I prefer to think in terms of an eating style. I stick mainly to whole foods with high quality protein and good fat at each meal. I enjoy what I eat and I'm never hungry."
However, Clarence is probably best known for the instruction and inspiration he has provided to others. It started with his classic book "Ripped". Espousing the benefits of a healthy diet and proper exercise, he is living proof that this philosophy works.
After his initial book publication, Clarence went on to produce a series of books and vidoes that have reached  thousands around the world with his prescriptions for a healthy living and with a lean and muscular body.
Now in his mid 80's, Clarence remains in phenomenal physical condition as his audience continues to grow.
His website, maintained by he and his wife Carol, is always a timely source of information on nutrition, training, and a healthy lifestyle.
F