Author Topic: Glenn Beck and WWE spar over Jack Swagger's new character makeover  (Read 4732 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
World Wrestling Entertainment appears to have picked a fight with the Tea Party, and Glenn Beck has come to the defense of the conservative movement. Now, WWE wants a piece of Beck.

WWE’s offense, from the perspective of Tea-Party conservatives, was the introduction of wrestler Jack Swagger and manager Zeb Colter, who typically appear in front of symbols and slogans adopted by the Tea Party, cite the Constitution, speak of patriotism, then launch into racist rants. The name of the Colter character, many Internet bloggers opine, is also a subtle slam against conservative columnist Ann Coulter.

On his radio show this week, Beck slammed the WWE for anti-conservative partisanship, and on Friday the WWE issued a press release challenging Beck to discuss the matter further as a guest on Monday Night Raw, which is taping Monday in Dallas, where Beck lives.

Beck took his time responding, but late Friday declined the invitation, saying, “Unfortunately, I am currently booked doing anything else.”

During Friday’s radio show, Beck excoriated the WWE not only for making Tea Partiers the villains in one of its latest storylines but also for making one of them a Vietnam War veteran, and he inferred that conservative fans might reconsider their decision to spend money on the brand.

“You’re making a villain out of what?” Beck asked. "Probably 80 percent of your audience who’s tired as it is of being miscast? They’re tired of this…I’m sick and tired of being miscast. I am sick and tired of it. It is lazy at best. And I certainly am not going to give any more time or my money to any organization that is miscasting, is making it harder for me and my family to stand up for what I believe in.”

Later, he got closer to suggesting that conservatives ought to boycott the WWE -- though without ever saying the word.

"We've talked about this for awhile," he said. "Put your money where your heart is ... You're gonna be mocked by people you think are friendly to you? No way!"

Beck (see video below) also called WWE characters, “Stupid wrestling people."

“WWE is giving Beck the opportunity to address our 14 million weekly viewers and our global fan base, as he believes we are offending our ‘conservative’ fans with this storyline,” the WWE said in its press-release challenge to Beck on Friday.

Late Friday, the WWE posted a video response to Beck where Swagger and Colter go off-character to explain that the politics they spout is for entertainment purposes only. See that video below, as well.

"We have about 60 characters on our show," says "Colter" in the video, referencing Monday Night Raw. "A lot more than say NCIS or Glee. But we're not that much different. Some of our characters are really likeable, and some are detestable."

The bashing of the Tea Party, of course, is hardly new in the entertainment industry. Morgan Freeman, for example, said on CNN that “The Tea Party movement – and, by association, the Republican party – is racist and wants to screw the country.”

Sean Penn, also on CNN, said: “You have what I call the ‘Get the N-word out of the White House party,’ the Tea Party.”

And perhaps the most recent high-profile slam came from Lincoln screenwriter Tony Kushner, who, during an interview on PBS, insinuated that Tea Partiers were ill informed.

“You have people like these Tea Party people protesting government and then asked if they really want to give up their Social Security payments and they don’t seem to know that that’s actually part of what government is,” he said. “There’s this rejection of this sort of basic idea of human community.”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/glenn-beck-slams-wwe-declines-423606

WWE has a history of being equal-opportunity offenders. This angle looks to be almost identical to what they did nearly 10 years ago, putting John "Bradshaw" Layfield (JBL) vs. then-WWE champion "Latino Heat" Eddie Guererro

JBL was billed as a politician and arguably the biggest heel in the company, during the height of the Bush 2004 campaign.

He also feuded withh another Latino world champion, Rey Mysterio.

As of late, WWE has been painting the white antagonists as borderline racists and the Latino champions as good guys.

BTW -  Beck declined Zeb's invitation to appear on RAW this Monday in Dallas, where Beck now lives.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Glenn Beck and WWE spar over Jack Swagger's new character makeover
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 05:39:25 PM »
Everything in this damn society is so politicized now.   No refuge from this bullshit anywhere.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 05:40:50 PM »
More publicity for the tea party, whats the problem?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 05:48:20 PM »
Everything in this damn society is so politicized now.   No refuge from this bullshit anywhere.

After Swagger and Colter's promos, Michael Cole and Jerry "The King" Lawler were suggesting that those two were getting lots of fan mail from Beck, Limbaugh, and Alex Jones.

As I said, WWE has done this before. JBL vs. Eddie Guererro, for example. There was a promo where JBL was actually chasing illegal aliens back across the border. And, he ended up with a gig on Fox News as a financial commentator.

Let's not forget that whole Gulf War thing with Sgt. Slaughter and Hulk Hogan.

Heck, back in 2008, Obama, Clinton, and McCain did promos for WWE, culminating with Hilary and Barack lookalikes, fighting in the ring (both got squashed by the late Umaga).

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 05:49:11 PM »
More publicity for the tea party, whats the problem?

Other than that gibberish from Swagger and Colter, not being part of the Tea Party? Nothing!!

WWE needed a new villian to face Alberto Del Rio for his world title. So, they came up with this mess.

How ironic, because I thought the masses were for taxing the rich. Del Rio's heel character was that of a rich Mexican aristocrat, who looked down on people, flaunted his riches by driving a fancy car from his personal collection to the arena, and needed his own personal ring announcer to introduce him in Spanish(since the regular ring announcer was unworthy of such an honor).

Funny how there's no part in the storyline to tax more of Del Rio's money or take his cars from him.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 06:41:45 PM »
Other than that gibberish from Swagger and Colter, not being part of the Tea Party? Nothing!!

WWE needed a new villian to face Alberto Del Rio for his world title. So, they came up with this mess.

How ironic, because I thought the masses were for taxing the rich. Del Rio's heel character was that of a rich Mexican aristocrat, who looked down on people, flaunted his riches by driving a fancy car from his personal collection to the arena, and needed his own personal ring announcer to introduce him in Spanish(since the regular ring announcer was unworthy of such an honor).

Funny how there's no part in the storyline to tax more of Del Rio's money or take his cars from him.

They come across as stupid and racist. Looks like tea party people.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 06:54:21 PM »

Hardly!! Tea Party people don't care about your skin color or from where you came.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 08:35:49 PM »
Well, this may fizzle before it even get started.

Reports are that Swagger got arrrested for DUI and weed possession. He's on his way to court and word is that WWE may pull him from his WrestleMania spot, where he was supposed to be Del Rio for the World title.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 08:51:26 PM »

FNG please - the Tea Party is about lower taxes and limited govt.  Tea Party would go for Dr. Cardin, Alan West, Star Parker, Mia Love, Sowell, Dr. Williams, Cain, Borelli, in a heartbeat over RINOs like boehner mcconnell et al

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 09:08:44 PM »
FNG please - the Tea Party is about lower taxes and limited govt.  Tea Party would go for Dr. Cardin, Alan West, Star Parker, Mia Love, Sowell, Dr. Williams, Cain, Borelli, in a heartbeat over RINOs like boehner mcconnell et al

If Swagger and Colter represent the Tea Party, Slick must represent all black people.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 09:20:25 PM »
If Swagger and Colter represent the Tea Party, Slick must represent all black people.

I would crawl over broken glass for sowell and dr. williams. 

Dr. Cardin is going to take their place.   

borelli, mia love, et al are the stars of the future 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 09:41:45 PM »
I would crawl over broken glass for sowell and dr. williams. 

Dr. Cardin is going to take their place.   

borelli, mia love, et al are the stars of the future 

Speaking of Mia Love, notice how all the vile hate mail she got after the GOP convention got relatively little press.

You want to see some racism, Whork, look up Mia Love, Deneen Borelli, Angela McGlowan, even Stacey Dash: Black people who have the audacity to vote Republican.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 09:48:21 PM »
Back to WWE and politics, there's another glaring example about which I forgot.

Remember Muhammad Hassan, and all the heat WWE got him, particularly for airing an episode of Smackdown where the Undertaker gets beat down and choked out by guys in masks and camoflague, shortly after that bombing in London?

This is the clip that basically cost Hassan his job. Imagine getting canned for playing your character too well.

And, there's still the matter of what WWE will do with Swagger, due to his recent arrest. Does he get yanked out of WrestleMania? Does he get suspended until WrestleMania? Does he get fired altogether?

This pseudo-Tea Party angle was critical for his new character and for the buildup to the World title match at WrestleMania.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 07:37:03 AM »
Back to WWE and politics, there's another glaring example about which I forgot.

Remember Muhammad Hassan, and all the heat WWE got him, particularly for airing an episode of Smackdown where the Undertaker gets beat down and choked out by guys in masks and camoflague, shortly after that bombing in London?

This is the clip that basically cost Hassan his job. Imagine getting canned for playing your character too well.

And, there's still the matter of what WWE will do with Swagger, due to his recent arrest. Does he get yanked out of WrestleMania? Does he get suspended until WrestleMania? Does he get fired altogether?

This pseudo-Tea Party angle was critical for his new character and for the buildup to the World title match at WrestleMania.

He played that role/character great. He got fired?

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 08:02:29 AM »
Hardly!! Tea Party people don't care about your skin color or from where you came.

and thats why there were blacks all over the place during the tea baggers parades.
w

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 08:17:32 AM »

While the official "tea party" may in fact be that way, would you deny that in many of your more rural areas that it has been usurped by the extreme right, many of whom do not like people of color?

If it's about  taxing and spending, then why didn't the TEA party jump up and down when GWB was in office?

Where was there "Don't tread on me" shit when he was racking up a huge bill back then?

It certainly lends some credence to them having something racist going on... These were the same people who were pushing for Mitt Romney, even though he was going to increase tax revenue (somehow?) and increase military spending.

Is there something I have stated that is not factual?

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 08:29:25 AM »
While the official "tea party" may in fact be that way, would you deny that in many of your more rural areas that it has been usurped by the extreme right, many of whom do not like people of color?

If it's about  taxing and spending, then why didn't the TEA party jump up and down when GWB was in office?

Where was there "Don't tread on me" shit when he was racking up a huge bill back then?

It certainly lends some credence to them having something racist going on... These were the same people who were pushing for Mitt Romney, even though he was going to increase tax revenue (somehow?) and increase military spending.

lets be real,it was because GWB wasn't black

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 08:32:07 AM »

I don't know how they feel about race, but I'd have to say most of your reasoning just doesn't add up.

Hell they were not even around until 2009 or so.  How could they possibly jump up and down GWB is beyond me.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 08:38:54 AM »

I don't know how they feel about race, but I'd have to say most of your reasoning just doesn't add up.

Hell they were not even around until 2009 or so.  How could they possibly jump up and down GWB is beyond me.

that's the point,why didn't they form when GWB was in office,wait,don't answer i think we know  :D :D

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 08:41:02 AM »
that's the point,why didn't they form when GWB was in office,wait,don't answer i think we know  :D :D

So it's your claim that a bunch of racists magically came together when Barry was put into office and formed the Tea Party.

Good, solid, logical reasoning that we've come to expect from you.

Carry on.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 08:44:10 AM »
and thats why there were blacks all over the place during the tea baggers parades.

Who said there had to be blacks all over the place? That's not going to happen, because the Tea Party is about limited (lower) government, hardly attractive to a demographic who sees government as an equalizer.

I'm sure racists just love to invite folks like the niece of Dr. Martin Luther King to speak at their events.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 08:45:25 AM »
never said they were all racist,but i bet a majority are  :o

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 08:55:26 AM »
He played that role/character great. He got fired?

He probably got a severance package or WWE bought out his contract and sent him away. Hassan surpassed JBL and Triple H as the most HATED heel in the company, and that takes some doing.

Basically, Muslim PC groups like CAIR kept belly-aching about how Hassan stereotyped Muslims, even with promos to try and ramp that down like his confrontation with John Cena.

When they moved Hassan to Smackdown, it got worse as UPN got slammed with yet more complaints. Airing that footage of his minions, beating down the Undertaker and carrying Daivairi out like a slain martyr (after that London bombing) was the proverbial backbreaker.

Hassan was barred from being on Smackdown. They wrote him off by changing the script for his number 1 Contender's match with the Undertaker at the Great American Bash, which Hassan was supposed to win. Instead, Undertaker won it and powerbombed Hassan off the stage, near the TitanTron. Hassan was hauled off in an ambulance and that the last we saw of him.

That also impacted the World title match. Batista was supposed to beat JBL clean, to set up Hassan vs. Batista for the title. Instead, JBL won by DQ. Onthe next Smackdown, JBL demanded a rematch, but Undertaker was the #1 contender. So, they fought in a no-disqualification match to determine who faced Batista for the title at SummerSlam. JBL won, via outside interference by Orton (still stinging over his loss to'Taker at WrestleMania 21).

Smackdown GM, Teddy Long, banned Hassan from Smackdown, saying he could go back to Raw (which he didn't); he could go back to where he came; but, as he was concerned, Hassan could go straight to hell.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 08:57:47 AM »

I think electing folks like Rubio, West, Cruz, Scott, Martinez, Haley, etc. and pushing candidates like Love, McGlowan, et. al. is a hint.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 09:06:25 AM »
I think electing folks like Rubio, West, Cruz, Scott, Martinez, Haley, etc. and pushing candidates like Love, McGlowan, et. al. is a hint.

Yea, and some supported Cain as well.  And I don't recall any big support for Romney/Ryan.  In fact I would say they were fairly divided.

I'm just not seeing any basis for the racism claim - at least at an aggregate level.  I'm sure you could find it in any party at the individual level.