Author Topic: Pride contracts/$$$  (Read 9598 times)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
Re: Pride contracts/$$$
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2006, 08:51:06 AM »
Okay, I'm not going to argue with you on this fighting thing cause I don't know the game.  But I do know how negotiations work and what agents are paid for.  Once this fighting thing gets really big and it appears it could, top fighters and even the lesser fighters are going to be represented.  I have no idea about what kind of contracts are out there now.  But I am sure they can be better.  A fighters union would give them (fighters) an edge as a whole.  I can't and won't pretend I know anything about the UFC, MMA Pride or whatever fight organizations there is out there.  I watch the fights on TV or grab them from here.  I just so happen to know the Gracie's very well.  I did some business with Vitor and Bas came to my show in 2003.  That's it.  I have never even been to a live fight.  I don't like the crowd around me.

I guarantee you know more than I do about the fight game.  All I know is how money flows and how once agents, promoters, big business's, owners, TV and other sources of income come into play the money can be made if done right.  Now i am rambling cause I can't concentrate.  No matter what I hope the fighters start making biggermoney like Boxing.  Cause I am sure more people can sit down and name more MMA fighter than they can professional boxers (of today)

c-u-n-hell

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2006, 09:25:21 AM »
Okay, I'm not going to argue with you on this fighting thing cause I don't know the game.  But I do know how negotiations work and what agents are paid for.  Once this fighting thing gets really big and it appears it could, top fighters and even the lesser fighters are going to be represented.  I have no idea about what kind of contracts are out there now.  But I am sure they can be better.  A fighters union would give them (fighters) an edge as a whole.  I can't and won't pretend I know anything about the UFC, MMA Pride or whatever fight organizations there is out there.  I watch the fights on TV or grab them from here.  I just so happen to know the Gracie's very well.  I did some business with Vitor and Bas came to my show in 2003.  That's it.  I have never even been to a live fight.  I don't like the crowd around me.

I guarantee you know more than I do about the fight game.  All I know is how money flows and how once agents, promoters, big business's, owners, TV and other sources of income come into play the money can be made if done right.  Now i am rambling cause I can't concentrate.  No matter what I hope the fighters start making biggermoney like Boxing.  Cause I am sure more people can sit down and name more MMA fighter than they can professional boxers (of today)
I agree I was not trying to state that they could not make more $. What I am saying is if you have a contract in play the athelete has to wait for the next contract negotiations to ask for more money. Prime example a guy I train wit Damacio won the WEC lightweight title or some title in WEC anyways he signed a 1 fight contract. The wec not expecting him to win. So he wins the title and now WEC says 800 to fight again, Damacio says no way give me more $, he has a leg to stand on. If he already signed a 3 fight deal he would have been screwed. That being said one day we will have unions and what not but once a contract is signed there is no bargining chip while a contract is in place

torquemada

• Getbig IV
  • Billycarp ruled...
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2006, 04:23:55 PM »
Is it fair to say we'd all like to see the fighters make more $ in the US over the next few years?  I honestly believe that MMA, IF the masses can learn to apprciate the ground aspect, will be the next big thing. 

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2006, 01:21:39 AM »
I totally misunderstood you.  I totally agree that once a contract is signed they can't and shouldn't ask for more money. They are screwed.  That is why one year contracts all the way unless it a big number guaranteed.

c-u-n-hell

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2006, 05:28:50 AM »
I totally misunderstood you.  I totally agree that once a contract is signed they can't and shouldn't ask for more money. They are screwed.  That is why one year contracts all the way unless it a big number guaranteed.
I agree and I am glad we could understand each other