Author Topic: Can you legally go after someone for posting?  (Read 8073 times)

Hereford

• Getbig V
Can you legally go after someone for posting?
« on: August 04, 2009, 10:36:12 AM »
Serious question for y'all...

On another message board there is a person who makes off the hook claims, and then threatens to file stalking charges against anyone who calls BS or refutes the claims... even with proof and citations. I'm talking if you even allude to them or their positions, they print out everything and keep a log for the police. Really.

Do claims like this have any weight with the law?  I figure if you don't want to get opposed... all you have to do is stop posting on the message boards, ya? Seems to me that nobody can really claim they are getting 'stalked' if they are willingly making themselves available...

It would be like Chick files stalking charges against some one here.... or Pandae files against pellius.

What do y'all think?

Signifying Monkey

• Getbig IV
Re: Can you legally go after someone for posting?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 11:10:25 AM »
Don't be a stalker. It's not cool.

Undisputed

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 11:19:30 AM »
I lost the link I had regarding this, basically in this enviornment you cannot go after someone legally.  It's different than say taking out an ad in a major newspaper and personally callling someone a homo or something....on here almost everyone is using a fake name.  Were making fun of each other's characters most of the time....it would be hard to go into court and claim personal anguish when nobody even knows who you are.  Its gets more complicated when people get named personally, but still a tremendous longshot.

divcom

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 11:27:45 AM »
joke...right?  everyone realizes this is a free version of disneyland created by Ron.   
Oh...Monica!

Signifying Monkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 11:28:30 AM »
joke...right?  everyone realizes this is a free version of disneyland created by Ron.   

Disneyland? Let's not get too carried away now

divcom

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 11:30:37 AM »
Disneyland? Let's not get too carried away now

it's all BS on this board since I've been here for 6 yrs.  Outside the King vs 240 drama.  This is unparalleled BS with the mods allowing users to run wild.  Tell me otherwise.  148 posts...you just got here
Oh...Monica!

Signifying Monkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 11:32:14 AM »
it's all BS on this board since I've been here for 6 yrs.  Outside the King vs 240 drama.  This is unparalleled BS with the mods allowing users to run wild.  Tell me otherwise. 

I didn't even read the post. I just saw the word stalker in the middle, so I gave him some advices.  :D  All I'm saying is I'd rather be at Disneyland than posting here, but it's a slow day.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 11:32:26 AM »
Sood.

Nizar

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 11:33:17 AM »
Plenty of people use their real names but don't get attacked/stalked apart from an occasional dispute or two

Its usually the people who act like assholes that end up being stalked mercilessly

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 11:49:52 AM »
Serious question for y'all...

On another message board there is a person who makes off the hook claims, and then threatens to file stalking charges against anyone who calls BS or refutes the claims... even with proof and citations. I'm talking if you even allude to them or their positions, they print out everything and keep a log for the police. Really.

Do claims like this have any weight with the law?  I figure if you don't want to get opposed... all you have to do is stop posting on the message boards, ya? Seems to me that nobody can really claim they are getting 'stalked' if they are willingly making themselves available...

It would be like Chick files stalking charges against some one here.... or Pandae files against pellius.

What do y'all think?

JMO:

I think disagreeing about issues on a message board is def. not stalking and holds no legal liability.

On the other hand, I think posting untruths about someone (for instance claiming they are a pedo or something) could be actionable in civil court (libel)....but if the person brings a defamation case they are opening themselves up to having all their dirty laundry uncovered and aired. 

Also, if someone takes harrassment into real life there is a possibility of criminal charges as well as civil retribution.

Suing someone is a huge pain and very expensive...normally it wouldn't get that far...hopefully.
R

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 11:53:03 AM »
I'm tempted to quote one of Mass04's funniest posts, from the thread in which Paul Hupp aka Johnny Vegas threatened to sue Onlyme

hahaha
Johnny Vegas-Onlyme called me names on the internet. I'd like to present exhibit A, a pic of my 25 inch guns.
Judge-How is this relevant, do you even have a law license?
Johnny Vegas-I'm taking courses at the learning annex, i'm not on trial here onlyme pwned me and he's gonna pay.
Onlyme-Request a 10 minute break for lunch your honor and maybe dessert too, would the court like to see a picture of me with Lorenzo Lamas at a 1994 charity event?
Judge-Case dismissed wheel in moosejay on his craftmatic adjustable bed and get his trial started

;D

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 11:53:12 AM »
All I'm saying is I'd rather be at Disneyland than posting here, but it's a slow day.

Are you serious?? 

GetBig >>> Disneyland

It's not even close.

divcom

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 11:55:24 AM »
Are you serious?? 

GetBig >>> Disneyland

It's not even close.

joke.  next?

still missing the pt...arent you?
Oh...Monica!

Signifying Monkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 12:01:02 PM »
Are you serious?? 

GetBig >>> Disneyland

It's not even close.

Different strokes for different folks. When I was growing up I loved few things more than going to Disneyland.  Still go all the time. I like to be around people having fun.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 12:08:14 PM »
Different strokes for different folks. When I was growing up I loved few things more than going to Disneyland.  Still go all the time. I like to be around people having fun.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
R

Signifying Monkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 12:10:34 PM »

Hmmm, kind of sad that's the first thing that would pop into your mind when someone mentions fun . . . Life must be hard for you, eh?  

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 12:13:51 PM »

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 12:17:46 PM »
You should ask how squadfather's lawsuit went against ALEX23

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 12:34:14 PM »
Hmmm, kind of sad that's the first thing that would pop into your mind when someone mentions fun . . . Life must be hard for you, eh?  
Easy, tiger. I guess the thread's topic was lost on you.   ;)

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 12:34:52 PM »

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 12:35:50 PM »

Glad you didn't say, "I was kidding", given the context and Chris Hansen and all ;D

Signifying Monkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 12:39:26 PM »

As I mentioned earlier, I still haven't read the first post. People need to be more concise.  I was just trying to be helpful and then saw an opportunity to talk about Disneyland. 

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 12:41:24 PM »
Glad you didn't say, "I was kidding", given the context and Chris Hansen and all ;D
That's akin to apologizing 'round here. And if we start apologizing, it means the terrorists have won. And we don't negotiate with terrorists.  8)

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 12:44:38 PM »