Author Topic: Give Me Your Best Tips For A Stellar Job Interview  (Read 85191 times)

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Give Me Your Best Tips For A Stellar Job Interview
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2014, 02:19:22 PM »
I had to go over a recruiter's head to her boss to get her to return my calls.

http://post.nyssa.org/nyssa-news/2014/06/signs-that-recruiters-are-not-being-truthful-with-you.html?zbrandid=4690&zidType=CH&zid=23301554&zsubscriberId=1037915168&zbdom=http://nyssa1.informz.net

Signs That Recruiters Are Not Being Truthful with You

You’re applying for jobs in finance. You’re relying on recruiters to act as intermediaries and to represent you to potential employers. In most cases, recruiters are honest upstanding individuals. But even honest, upstanding individuals can be a little economical with the truth sometimes.

Want to know whether a hiring agent is being duplicitous? According to recruiters, speaking candidly and anonymously, these are the signs.

1. You call to ask about the job and the recruiter can’t give you any information at all.

In a very few cases, recruiters might advertise jobs they don’t have solely to attract resumes for their databases. All the recruiters we spoke to strenuously denied doing this, but they each suggested it’s easy to tell if a position is fabricated. “All you need to do is to call the recruiter and ask the name of the company you’ll be working for, the name of the line manager, and the size of the team,” said one recruiter. Won’t fellow recruiters be hesitant about divulging this information on the telephone though? “If you send in your CV so that they know who you are and they still won’t give you full information, you should probably question whether the job exists,” he said.

2. You apply for a job. You’re told it’s been pulled or ‘put on hold,’ but you can still see it advertised.

It’s pretty obvious that something fishy is going on when you’re told a job no longer exists but you can still see it advertised. There may be a genuinely good reason to subject you to this falsehood, however.

“The only time I ever lie to candidates is when someone applies for a job with a team they’re already working for,” says the head of one risk recruitment agency. “It can be very awkward – they might not even be aware that their team is hiring and suddenly they’ve sent in their CV. I usually say that role’s been put on hold and that we’ll let them know if something else comes up,” she adds.

3. You ask for detailed post-interview feedback and you’re told you need to work on your ‘rapport.’

If you attend a finance interview and ask for detailed feedback on your performance, don’t be surprised if you don’t get it. Banks rarely provide recruiters with feedback on candidates after interviews and recruiters are forever having to explain to candidates why they don’t know the reasons behind a rejection. Once in a while, however, banks do offer feedback and it can be unpleasantly robust.

“They’ll tell us they thought the candidate was completely awful or that he just seemed very odd,” says the head of one recruitment firm. “We’ll usually try and spin that and tell the candidate a few positives in with the negatives so that they’ve got something to build on. If a client says that someone’s odd, we’ll say something like they need to work on their rapport.”

4. You’re told that you need to make up your mind about a job offer within 24 hours because there are other very desirable candidates in the pipeline.

Much as estate agents always have other viewers interested in the property you’re looking at, recruiters always have other candidates interested in the job you’re applying for. This is especially the case if you get an offer for that job – at which point recruiters can smell their fees and will want to close the deal as soon as possible.

“It’s often quite honest to say that we have other candidates in the process who are interested in the role, but we do also push the point to encourage a candidate to make a quick decision,” says the head of one firm.

If you’re uncertain whether a role is 100% right, or whether the compensation is 100% appropriate, don’t allow a recruiter to rush you. If their client is genuinely interested in you, they should be prepared to wait for 72 hours at least.

5. You ask for a slight improvement to the compensation package you’ve been offered and you’re told this is out of the question.

In these days of the European Union’s bonus cap and of vast disparities in the way banks structure their bonuses, going for a new job is not just about negotiating higher pay – it’s about negotiating the best deal in terms of cash payments and deferrals, along with the highest conceivable salary.

Often, banks will be genuinely inflexible over compensation – particularly with regards to salaries, which tend to be fixed by position. But in some cases, recruiters will claim that banks are inflexible even when they’re not.  “Recruitment is a game of psychology,” says one recruiter. “I don’t want to promise that I can negotiate a higher salary when I’m not 100% certain that this is the case. I’ll often start by saying that a higher salary is out of the question and then drop in a 10% salary increase later in the process to help close the candidate. It’s all about managing expectations.”

6. You see a job being advertised and it looks too good to be true

Finally, if you see a job being advertised and it looks too good to be true, then it probably is. Recruiters might occasionally fabricate incredibly well paid jobs simply to attract top CVs. See point one; react accordingly.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2014, 10:18:02 PM »
https://www.themuse.com/advice/why-introverts-might-be-better-at-networking-after-all/?FB_MPage

Why Introverts Might Be Better at Networking After All

Good networking is necessary to find business, advance your career, and grow professionally. Most people think you need to be an extrovert to be a great networker, but while being outgoing and gregarious may be helpful, it’s the introverts who have the real networking advantage.

The main difference of introverts versus extroverts is their reaction and engagement with other people. Being around people energizes extroverts, while introverts need more limited contact supported by alone time to re-energize. I myself was quite extroverted in my younger days. I thrived on parties and rarely wanted quiet time. At business events, I would attend every social and roundtable trying to meet everyone I could. I figured the more conversations I had, the more people I would collect.

As I approach my fourth decade in business, I find I value more the quiet time, thinking, strategizing, and filtering contacts. I introspectively ponder who among possible contacts will become the most amazing relationships where value is brought to all involved. It’s my introversion later in life that is driving better connections and larger results from my networking.

Here are five ways that introverts get networking right. You can implement the tips below at any age even if you’re a natural extrovert.

1. They Are Selective About Who They Talk To

Even though you may be able to learn something from everyone you meet, you don’t have time to speak to everyone in the world. Introverts may not make friends quickly, but they spend a lot of time observing the people around them.

So if they do take the trouble to engage, they have likely already determined that the person has something meaningful to say and some value to add.

Before you head out to glad hand at the next function, spend some time researching who will be at the venue. Target key figures to meet and engage. Be open to others, but focus your time on people who fit with your preferred future.

2. They Consider What Comes Out of Their Mouths

Heavy talkers miss out on so much in a networking environment. They may entertain with small talk and stories, but they also crowd out the opportunities for substantive conversations and connections.

Introverts don’t just talk for the sake of talking. True, they sometimes have trouble speaking up. But when they speak, it is with intent and purpose. And because they are slower to say what’s on their minds, they have had time to formulate a truly thoughtful, considered opinion.

So when they speak, their intelligence and expertise tends to show and attract other intelligent people.

The next time you see the small talk running, rather than join the chatter, plan for the right moment to make an impact with those who are interesting to you.

3. They Get to the Point

When networking, time is a valuable commodity. A single winding conversation can cause you to miss out on several brief relevant connections.

Some people assume that introverts don’t know how to converse; they’re too awkward or shy. That is largely untrue—they just value their own time and yours.

Because lengthy conversations and chit-chat drain their energy, they won’t linger at the punch bowl or regale you with roundabout stories. They say what needs to be said as it applies and then they move on.

Get good at communicating your value proposition or any other relevant information, in less than two minutes. Give others the chance to connect or move on.

4. They Give Others Time to Share

At their most tedious, networking events devolve into a room full of people frantically trying to sell themselves and listening to no one.

Because introverts are comfortable with silence, they are often better able to practice attentive listening. And they don’t mind when it takes someone else a few moments to collect their thoughts or explain a complex concept.

We all appreciate walking away from a conversation in which we feel we have been truly heard and understood.

Practice the arts of patience and listening. Others may not have your clarity or silver tongue, and you don’t want to miss the golden opportunity.

5. They Follow Up With Intent

Extroverts may do well spreading stories and collecting business cards, but if when they get home, they simply focus on the next party the business benefits from their networking will be lackluster.

Introverts thrill to the joy of following up with those who bring value and opportunity. When they choose to engage with someone, they will, at the right time and in the right way.

Next time you bring home that bounty of cards and email addresses, spend some quiet time thinking about how you and each person can bring each other value. Then craft a personal note that reminds them of why your contact was worthy of continuing in the first place.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2014, 12:00:13 PM »
Read "Winning" by Jack Welsh.