Author Topic: Denie Walter? Need more about him!  (Read 34392 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Denie Walter? Need more about him!
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 09:55:27 AM »

Yes, this does belong on the History Board.  A lot of people like knowing about the past, its history and the people involved in the sport.  There are always inspirational and interesting stories that are great to hear. Thanks to all that contribute on that board.  Some of my favorite threads are there.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 11:58:21 AM »
I contacted Denie on the web a few years ago.

Cool guy who wrote some great articles.

CharlieB

• Getbig I
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 03:07:13 PM »
Hi Everyone, I will add my two cents about Denie. He and I have never met but we have conversed over the Internet through e mail for a few years now. He is a genius without doubt. I use to live in Pa. now I am in the wet state of Washington. He is friends with my by and his (Denie) buddy Pete. This man has sent me unbelievable photo's and his as Clarence Bass says "Denie's Doodles which are sometimes just plain awesome and sometimes comical. If you ask him a question he will always answer you sometimes numerous times with information. which he is a fountain of! I am just sorry I never got to meet him in person. My buddy Pete says there isn't another person like him ! Pete is very close to him and does not divulge too much as he says he feels Denie deserves his privacy also. He says when he converses with him he is in awe by how smart and forth giving as well as generous he is with his time and knowledge. I am telling you this second hand and not telling you everything as I believe in what my buddy thinks about Denie's privacy. I also agree that he seems to get pushed aside by most in the BB world, Even though he I am sure made Weider and Lurie lots of greenbacks.
He hasn't even been inducted to either of their Halls of Fame....IFBB or WBBG which is a complete slap in the face and a travesty. I don't want to criticise this site.... BUT they don't even have him listed in the Almanac section as a member of the supporting cast. I hope this is just an over sight. Anyway He is an icon in every sense of the word in the sport of weight training not just BB. WHEW! I just fell off my soap box. Thanks C.B

JohnnyVegas

Re: Denie
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 07:34:01 PM »
Psychoblast! Now there's a book for ya.

Good to know some remember who this guy is.

Didn't he go just by the name "Denie".....very well known old timer.

CharlieB

• Getbig I
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 01:35:51 PM »
What is another amazing thing he was part owner of a professional gym at the ripe old age of now get this 15, yeah that's right 15. It was in Jersey City N.J. where he also owned another gym when he was older that burned down in a fire. Now that is pretty impressive if you ask me. Considering most 15 y.o. kids nowadays only play x box and play station.

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 12:54:05 AM »
Denie is amazing...very generous and talented. He's a great photographer. He photographed/developed/restored many photos for Serge's book that we are working on right now. He also restored/resized photos of me, Steve and my mom. He can turn color photos into black and white, add color to black and white photos and take scratches and bends out of old photos. He's very good. I talked to him for 3 1/2 hours last week and it seemed like 10 minutes. He's very interesting. He's a bodybuilder, photographer, painter, artist, physical culture historian, writer, editor and actor, etc.

Here is Bob Bonham and Serge at Bob's gym. Denie took the photo.

Moosejay

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 05:58:54 PM »
Denie is amazing...very generous and talented. He's a great photographer. He photographed/developed/restored many photos for Serge's book that we are working on right now. He also restored/resized photos of me, Steve and my mom. He can turn color photos into black and white, add color to black and white photos and take scratches and bends out of old photos. He's very good. I talked to him for 3 1/2 hours last week and it seemed like 10 minutes. He's very interesting. He's a bodybuilder, photographer, painter, artist, physical culture historian, writer, editor and actor, etc.

Here is Bob Bonham and Serge at Bob's gym. Denie took the photo.

That would be Leon Brown to the left

PeteH

• Getbig I
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2008, 04:51:44 AM »
Hi Yes Denie is a very special person. As Bob Bonham said he is also a good friend of mine. I met Denie when I was 14 at his gym with a mutual friend. I did not see Denie again until 2004 I was 47 then. he still remembered meeting me there. His memory and mind are unbelievable. He truly is a genius and has a great sense of humor and is one of the most generous people you would ever hope to meet and call as a friend. I just get upset with all the so called "Icons"of Bodybuilding and Weight training. The Weider's and Luries and so on. These people and the Bodybuilding Sport seem to ignore or just plain bypass everything Denie has done in and for the sport. I told him this numerous times. He Just laughs and goes on talking to me about something else.He always says THANKS though. He should at least be inducted at the very least in each of the Halls Of Fame these organizations have. he truly is an Ambassador of the sport of weighttraining and Bodybuilding. His knowledge is unsurpassed and he disperses it to anyone who may ask.........without hesitation or with intention of making a buck off that person! Truly a great friend and man.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2008, 02:26:39 PM »
That would be Leon Brown to the left

Who is the cat on the right that looks like Haider???

CharlieB

• Getbig I
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2008, 02:39:57 PM »
Johnny V no better person to ask then Denie himself, since they are his photo's

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2008, 12:40:26 AM »
Who is the cat on the right that looks like Haider???

Sammy Ionniades (Australian champion)

Bob Bonham

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2008, 08:37:23 PM »
If any one would like to get in touch with him  this is his e mail      deniew@live.com
Steve Zinn is coming to the gym from Syracuse NY  to visit with him.  Maybe one of you guys can get him to post some great inside stuff from his era .

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2008, 07:34:17 AM »
Sammy Ionniades (Australian champion)
GREAT LEGS ...

linhorn40

• Getbig I
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2013, 10:45:52 AM »
Hey how come there isn't anything ever written about "Denie" Walter? He was editor of Flex just before it was Flex and he was editor of MTI. he was a photojournalist as well as a competitor, author and a great contributor of the sport of Bodybuilding. I was told by a friend that he named Vince Gironda "The Iron Guru" and was the person who named the first Pec machine the "The Pec Deck". just wondering?

I knew Denie.. Very generous person..intelligent..Eve rything said about him is true..linhorn10@gmail.com

linhorn40

• Getbig I
Re: Denie
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2013, 10:48:29 AM »

linhorn40

• Getbig I
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2013, 10:51:54 AM »
 :Denie was last seen in  the Mount Pocono ,Stroudsburg PA  area 2 years ago. Where did he go? A mystery,unknown!! If you know his whereabouts let me know. We were good friends.. LINHORN10@GMAIL.COM

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2013, 11:10:38 AM »
be nice if denie would see this and come on here. in the mean time some pics.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2013, 11:11:09 AM »
 :)
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2013, 11:13:26 AM »
 :)twiggy's big body= guards  mike gubillo, harold poole, forgot the last guys name. denie . harold was also a bouncer at new york's cheetah club.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2013, 11:14:55 AM »
 ;)closer
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2013, 11:18:42 AM »
while i'm at it, anyone have muscle training illustrated issue 4 may 1966 freddy oritz cover in decent shape??????
F

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2013, 11:55:36 PM »
while i'm at it, anyone have muscle training illustrated issue 4 may 1966 freddy oritz cover in decent shape??????

pretty sure i do.   gimme a few days to check

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2013, 07:59:08 AM »
 that's the only one i don't have collected MTI till the early 80's.
F