Author Topic: WEST COAST (USA) GYM OWNERS THROUGHOUT RECENT HISTORY !!  (Read 10685 times)

Big Pat

• Getbig II
Re: WEST COAST (USA) GYM OWNERS THROUGHOUT RECENT HISTORY !!
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2018, 08:07:12 PM »
***************************************************************************************
"I do remember Lou's gym although never trained there. I think he eventually moved it to main str. in the otay mesa area. I trained at Clarks and knew Bob but had no idea he started Iron Co. and designed equipment. After Bob's wife died he was never the same, ended up selling the gym and bought a shopping center? in Florida. I knew Gene Fisher and trained at his gym, he was known for his curling record, I believe it was around 220. The gym on the boardwalk S of the coaster was owned by a biker named 'crunch' Renzulli....Someone owed him money so he "confiscated" all the guys exercise equipment and started a gym".
***************************************************************************************

Good evening oldgolds,

The last time I saw Mr. Fisher before he went back to spirit, he mentioned he arm wrestled Ralph Kroger and  lost. He said he was the strongest guy he ever went against. Attached is the image of him curling. Thanks for adding the info about Mr. Clark and the Renzulli fellow, can't be many names like that to check up on.

**************************************************************************************
Ralph's Gym on 101 within the vicinity of the Del Mar Race Track,"
**************************************************************************************

Good evening stuntmovie,

From what I have heard/know about Mr. Kroger's gym locations-

Del Mar then to El Cajon. He latter moved to Hawaii. His last gym {Victory Gym} was in Cherokee Indiana which I heard he sold a year or so ago. I believe he has/had a Face Book page if you want to follow up on it.

Be safe and strong,

Pat

urj200

• Getbig II
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2018, 08:14:39 PM »
I remember going to Ralph's gym in El Cajon a couple of times.

Big Pat

• Getbig II
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2018, 08:31:21 PM »
Good evening urj200,

Lots of neat memories in that post.

I do know about the George Brown Jr. gym stuff because he went to Granite Hills high school in El Cajon and I have talked to a few of his classmates. Never knew his Dad was the Chargers team Dr.. The steroid use now makes sense with the Chargers and his son. I think that Ron Mix sued the Chargers and the NFL over the "pink " pills he got in training camp out in McCain valley. Alvin Roy was the strength coach around that time and is credited as being the first weight training coach in the NFL. Maylen Wiltse was also connected to the team, as well as a fellow I met years ago named Frank Sheets.

Somewhere I have a photo of Mr. Clark showing his hyper-extension machine to Leo and John Grimek. You are definitely right about his contributions to improving weight training machines. I do remember seeing images of his equipment in Mr. Pearl's Pasadena gym.

Be safe and strong,

Pat

urj200

• Getbig II
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2018, 08:44:56 PM »
Pat-

George's dad was the San Diego State football team doctor. I don't know that he was ever associated with the Chargers, though he may have been. When I was at Maylan's gym several Chargers trained there, including Jacque McKinnon, who I knew pretty well. I'm a little muddy now on exactly when Maylen became the strength coach for the Chargers, but I know my aunt really liked him.

My wife (at the time) and I used to hang out a bit with George Brown and his wife. I moved from SD to Oxnard in 1978 and ran into George up in Ventura at a contest. I think that was around 1980ish or so. That's the last time I saw him.

I also forgot to mention that Ty Young trained at Clark's Gym for a while too.

Another name that popped into my head that was a local Mission Beach guy and lifter was Bill Franks--does that name ring a bell with anybody. And Bill Moye was at Clark's as well. He was Mr. San Diego sometime in the late 60s.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2018, 08:07:10 PM »
Pat-

George's dad was the San Diego State football team doctor. I don't know that he was ever associated with the Chargers, though he may have been. When I was at Maylan's gym several Chargers trained there, including Jacque McKinnon, who I knew pretty well. I'm a little muddy now on exactly when Maylen became the strength coach for the Chargers, but I know my aunt really liked him.

My wife (at the time) and I used to hang out a bit with George Brown and his wife. I moved from SD to Oxnard in 1978 and ran into George up in Ventura at a contest. I think that was around 1980ish or so. That's the last time I saw him.

I also forgot to mention that Ty Young trained at Clark's Gym for a while too.

Another name that popped into my head that was a local Mission Beach guy and lifter was Bill Franks--does that name ring a bell with anybody. And Bill Moye was at Clark's as well. He was Mr. San Diego sometime in the late 60s.

Spoke with another former Stern's member about Ty Young and he said Ty isn't doing to well now.  George Brown's Racquet Club on Balboa was HUGE back in the day.  I trained at Fitness & Muscle for awhile too.  Nice gym. 

urj200

• Getbig II
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2018, 08:27:47 PM »
Ty was an animal. He played defensive tackle for San Diego State when Coryell was the coach there.

Sorry to hear that Ty isn't doing too well.

I was at Tom Haugh's Gym in Point Loma for a while too. Late 70s. Jim Welsh (Raquel's former husband) was there for a while then. I was in the Boy Scouts with Jim and ran into his son Damien a few years back down in Santa Monica.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2018, 08:38:29 PM »
Ty was an animal. He played defensive tackle for San Diego State when Coryell was the coach there.

Sorry to hear that Ty isn't doing too well.

I was at Tom Haugh's Gym in Point Loma for a while too. Late 70s. Jim Welsh (Raquel's former husband) was there for a while then. I was in the Boy Scouts with Jim and ran into his son Damien a few years back down in Santa Monica.

Ty worked as a framer for a living.  Piece work.  The man was The Man back then.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2018, 10:27:41 PM »
Ty worked as a framer for a living.  Piece work.  The man was The Man back then.

Ty did a bodybuilding seminar in the early '80s that was published in Dan Lurie's Muscle Training Illustrated.  But they spelled his name as "Ty Youngs". 

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2018, 10:32:39 AM »
I hate to admit my ignorance here when it comes to this subject matter, but you guys are mentioning names and gyms and places whom and which I have never heard of before  ...... or have simply forgotten about over  the  passage of time or long term absence ftom the USA,

The gyms and places you each have menioned  and which  I am unfamiliar with must have been located  at least 5 miles inland from the Pacific beaches  (except for the more historical places in the L.A. area such as Vince's in the Valley or Pearl's in Pasadena.  During my younger lifetime I seldom wandered further fron the ocean than the eye can see.

So without further excuse ....  would it be possible to find and then post some photos of these individuals/places as previously mentioned and listed below.

I think that these (and othes who may be well-er known within California) were the pioneers of this thing we call "bodybuilding or powerlifting, olympic lifting, or just plain old, physical fitness".

Can any post their photos or more background storis regrding any of the following?

Steve Neece
Bob Clark
Earl Clarke
Fitness and Muscle
The 'Growin Samoan' Floyd Scanlin
Doug Pettit
Gene Fisher
Lou’s Dyrante’s Gym in South Bay
George Brown
‘Crunch’ Renzulli.
George Brown Jr. gym stuff
Tom Haugh's Gym in Point Loma
Bill Moye
Ty Yoing’s involvement

Jim Welsh (Raquel's former husband): I think we discussed Jim on this board years ago. Maybe Only Me knew him.

Leo and John Grimek. I met John, but who is Leo?  If Leo is John’s son, he was in the Corps during my tour of duty.

I'll start .... Is this The Ty Young of whom we speak?

You Powerffters have got to know who MIKE LAMBERT is!

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2018, 10:54:47 AM »
This is the Ty Youngs I was referring to, but I didn't know him personally--guys, correct me if I'm wrong.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Kearny.High.Alumni/photos/?tab=album&album_id=312632536707

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2018, 08:17:54 PM »
This is the Ty Youngs I was referring to, but I didn't know him personally--guys, correct me if I'm wrong.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Kearny.High.Alumni/photos/?tab=album&album_id=312632536707

That's the Ty I know/knew.  I don't see him anymore.  I last saw his brother Mike well over a decade ago. 

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2018, 09:12:17 AM »
SCOTT, Thanks for correcting that TY YOUNG info.

Have you ever seen a list of the old day (1960's) San Diego bodybuilding contest winners? We met a few of them during those early So. Cal. beach days but I have long forgotten any of their names except for Von Lamon who (if I remember correctly) 'damaged' his leg while using a buzz-saw.

And I think that I have forgotten to mention two early day gyms located in Oceanside (right outside of the Camp Pendleton main gate) one of which was a small gym on a side street a block or two from the beach which years later became a Gold's and the other was more of a hand-ball place with various weight-lifting stuff in the back owned by Bob Janus.

I'll be surprised if anyone here can recall either of these places.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2018, 09:23:04 AM »
Heading to California today from NJ. Any truth to the often repeated comment that East coast is heavy and long rests between sets. West coast is moderate weights and short rests between sets?  Heading to Palm Springs. Hope I can find a gym in the area. Heading to Desert Springs Marriot. Seems to have a decent hotel gym.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2018, 09:53:33 AM »
Even if your hotel has a decent gym or not, I suggest that you check out the following. I've  never been there myself but I have heard that it's a damn fine facility ....

WORLD GYM PALM SPRINGS
1751 N. Sunrise Way
Palm Springs, CA 92262

T 760.327.7100
F 760-327-7102

And they have a decent website.

But I doubt that you'll want to leave the Marriott. It's a damn nice place...

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2018, 02:40:08 PM »
A