Author Topic: American Gladiator - Stealth -Tanji Johnson  (Read 19573 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
American Gladiator - Stealth -Tanji Johnson
« on: December 13, 2007, 12:21:29 AM »
All 12 of the official Gladiators at this link, courtesy of NBC..

http://www.getbig.com/news/2007/12/20071212amglad.htm

Here is Tanji's official pics..

Lorie Kimes

• Pros
  • Getbig II
Re: American Gladiator - Stealth -Tanji Johnson
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 11:39:28 AM »
All of the Gladiators look FREAKEN AWSOME!!!!

It's going to be fun to watch!

Go Kick some booty Tanji  ;D

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 06:00:31 PM »

Tanji was really cool today, although she is on crutches right now due to an injury she sustained.  She even invited me early morning into the hair and makeup trailer, which was interesting too!  Tanji is a true role model with such a positive spirit and attitude around her! Pics to come soon...

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 06:43:33 PM »
GLADIATOR NAME Stealth

ROAD TO DESTRUCTION Army brat Tanji Johnson, 32, attended the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs where she was a varsity cheerleader and a member of the Cadet Honor Guard. Post-college, she became an IFBB Fitness Pro. ''You can't stereotype elite athletes,'' she says, applauding the show's diverse casting. ''I'm 5'3,'' and in the old Gladiators, you probably never would have seen [me].''

YOU DON'T WANT TO MEET HER IN... Powerball, Gauntlet, Earthquake. ''I love anything where I get to forge my will against my opponent,'' says the 128-lb. Johnson. ''They have no idea how fast and explosive I'm gonna be.''

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
When the audience calls for her, she throws her hands up in a triangle — indicative of the Stealth Bomber. The only people she won't respond to? The competitors — even in the ladies' room. ''I don't make eye contact. If they know deep down I'm a nice person, that affects the intimidation factor.''
Elevate Your Image.™

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 07:59:21 PM »
What happened to Tanji?

Get well soon, girl.

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 08:01:33 PM »
very cool pics. thanx ron

tanji looks great. great quads

looking forwared to watching the show again

siouxcountry

• Getbig IV
  • Team Ripitupbaby!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 06:21:08 AM »
Yes, what happen to Tanji?

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 09:08:21 AM »
Tanji is one of the sweetest, most real, most sincere Pros I have ever met.  I am so happy to see her involved with this show, and I wish her the very best!

:)

Sandra Wickham

• Pros
  • Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 10:58:53 AM »
"GO STEALTH"  Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!

xoxoxo

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 05:09:14 AM »
Good show last night.  But did Tanji injure her knee on the pyramid?  It looked like she may have gotten hurt, but they didn't say anything about it in the commentary. 

Lots of injuries on this show!  :-\

cray2005

• Getbig II
  • FitGems Founder
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 06:41:20 AM »
I take no claim in this, but according to a reliable source, she tore her ACL and MCL. She had surgery to repair it, though. With a torn ACL and MCL, I wouldn't expect her to return in time for season two...I think. :( How serious is a ACL and MCL torn? Sorry to ask a possibly dumb question, but I've never had a serious injury or looked at things like that in my life...yet (I need to start, though).

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 07:43:40 AM »
I take no claim in this, but according to a reliable source, she tore her ACL and MCL. She had surgery to repair it, though. With a torn ACL and MCL, I wouldn't expect her to return in time for season two...I think. :( How serious is a ACL and MCL torn? Sorry to ask a possibly dumb question, but I've never had a serious injury or looked at things like that in my life...yet (I need to start, though).

I hope that's not the case.  A torn ACL or MCL is relatively serious from a training perspective IMO, if it requires surgery to repair and rehab.  That would totally suck for her. 

That makes three pretty significant knee injuries I have seen on just two episodes (I missed last week...how many people got hurt last week?  :D)

I hope they pay really good money on that show.  Personally, I wouldn't risk the injury.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 09:37:10 AM »

Tanji's body has amazing recovery abilities, but we're talking several months in coming back from that. :(

Krissy C.

• Pros
  • Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 09:42:59 AM »
Hi Cray :)
That is a not a dumb question at all.  I hope that Tanji did not suffer those injuries because they are two key ligaments in the knee that provide support and stability and prevent the femur bone from excessive translation beyond its normal movement.  If they are completely torn, it would require surgery and rehab afterwards but knowing Tanji she will bounce back in no time-what a great athlete!

Tanji-love ya girl and send you all the best :)!
Krissy Chin BS, MSPT
IFBB PRO

RandyMark

• Getbig I
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 09:57:51 AM »
After surgery, it usually takes 6 to 9 months for someone to return to competitive action.  There are a few athletes who can come back sooner, however.  Brandon Rush (an NCAA basketball player) returned to play this season just 5-1/2 months after his ACL surgery.  Knowing Tanji, her hard work & determination will probably have her back out on stage just as soon!

tigereyes

• Pros
  • Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 10:13:35 AM »
Wow, I hope this isn't true, but if it is.....

Like others have mentioned, she seems like an extremely determined individual, and if she did in fact suffer this injury, I am sure she will not let it keep her down for very long. 
I wish her a speedy recovery!
Get Well Soon Tanji!!!

Rick Lohre

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 06:55:18 PM »
I hope that's not the case. 

It is a brutal show, but I'm sure it was well known by the Gladiators what they were in for...or what the competitors were "in for from them" :)

Anyhow, hope Tanji is doing just fine.

Top Dog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 08:08:36 AM »

I hope that's not the case.  A torn ACL or MCL is relatively serious from a training perspective IMO, if it requires surgery to repair and rehab.  That would totally suck for her. 

That makes three pretty significant knee injuries I have seen on just two episodes (I missed last week...how many people got hurt last week?  :D)

I hope they pay really good money on that show.  Personally, I wouldn't risk the injury.

You'd do that show in a heartbeat, who you kidding.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 08:25:08 AM »
You'd do that show in a heartbeat, who you kidding.

I'd love to do the final event...the Eliminator or whatever it's called...it looks like an asskicker, and I'd like to see if I could hang with it and get through it.  8)

But other than that, I would NOT do the show as a competitor because I would never want to risk an injury like that.  Have you seen how many people have gone down with knee injuries?  I saw two competitors and one gladiator go down in just two episodes.  I'd like to be able to continue to train on a regular basis without months of rehab and long-term pain.  It's not worth the potential to win the prize money IMO.

I MIGHT consider doing the show as a gladiator (if I made it through the audition, which I wouldn't because I am too short)...but this is based on the assumption that the gladiators are making really good money.  It has to be more than they would make from competing professionally or pursuing other ventures in the industry to risk that kind of injury.

Get well soon Tanji! 

Top Dog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 09:30:09 AM »

I'd love to do the final event...the Eliminator or whatever it's called...it looks like an asskicker, and I'd like to see if I could hang with it and get through it.  8)

But other than that, I would NOT do the show as a competitor because I would never want to risk an injury like that.  Have you seen how many people have gone down with knee injuries?  I saw two competitors and one gladiator go down in just two episodes.  I'd like to be able to continue to train on a regular basis without months of rehab and long-term pain.  It's not worth the potential to win the prize money IMO.

I MIGHT consider doing the show as a gladiator (if I made it through the audition, which I wouldn't because I am too short)...but this is based on the assumption that the gladiators are making really good money.  It has to be more than they would make from competing professionally or pursuing other ventures in the industry to risk that kind of injury.

Get well soon Tanji! 

Are you saying you might consider it if you were them or You might consider it? No disrespect, and I love all you do on these boards, but the ones doing it have kinda been at the top of their game so this is a next step. I think if they asked you NOW, you'd jump at it. You'd be stupid not to. What exactly would you be saving it for, some regional show?

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 10:45:24 AM »
Are you saying you might consider it if you were them or You might consider it? No disrespect, and I love all you do on these boards, but the ones doing it have kinda been at the top of their game so this is a next step. I think if they asked you NOW, you'd jump at it. You'd be stupid not to. What exactly would you be saving it for, some regional show?

I could be wrong, but I don't think it is a requirement that the gladiators be Pro-level competitors and/or at the top of their game, as I know a few people who made it pretty far in the auditions who are not Pros.  Most of them are, however, and I agree that it's a great opportunity and possibly the "next step" (not sure what it's a step towards, though)...I just hope they are getting paid very well.  Clearly they must be getting paid better than they would be competing or doing other things in the industry, so good for them.

I can't say for sure that I would jump at the opportunity NOW though...although I suppose I probably would lol. 
For me personally, it's not about saving "it" for some competition (I compete at the National level btw :P).  I love to train, workout, etc...it's part of my life and has been for a long time...and I cringe at the thought of sustaining a potentially serious or long-term injury that would compromise my ability to do that for a long period of time or perhaps the rest of my life. 

I'm trying to envision a situation where taking a risk like that would be worth it to me, and I am not sure I can.  Of course, it's easy for me to say that while I sit here with little to no chance of being on the show anyway.  ;D

Top Dog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 11:04:03 AM »

I could be wrong, but I don't think it is a requirement that the gladiators be Pro-level competitors and/or at the top of their game, as I know a few people who made it pretty far in the auditions who are not Pros.  Most of them are, however, and I agree that it's a great opportunity and possibly the "next step" (not sure what it's a step towards, though)...I just hope they are getting paid very well.  Clearly they must be getting paid better than they would be competing or doing other things in the industry, so good for them.

I can't say for sure that I would jump at the opportunity NOW though...although I suppose I probably would lol. 
For me personally, it's not about saving "it" for some competition (I compete at the National level btw :P).  I love to train, workout, etc...it's part of my life and has been for a long time...and I cringe at the thought of sustaining a potentially serious or long-term injury that would compromise my ability to do that for a long period of time or perhaps the rest of my life. 

I'm trying to envision a situation where taking a risk like that would be worth it to me, and I am not sure I can.  Of course, it's easy for me to say that while I sit here with little to no chance of being on the show anyway.  ;D

Understood. You make very good points. I will say that as far as the money paid goes. There never was much money in the industry for people like Horn or Waugeman. It's a new venue for these people to be seen. The lucky few get to be exposed to the whole country once a week and show off their hard work. Isn't that what they're in it for? Only now it's to more people than they get in an auditorium and/or buy magazines.  BTW, I appreciate their (and your) hard work as much as anyone.  And...your hard work is surely showing.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 11:23:38 AM »
Understood. You make very good points. I will say that as far as the money paid goes. There never was much money in the industry for people like Horn or Waugeman. It's a new venue for these people to be seen. The lucky few get to be exposed to the whole country once a week and show off their hard work. Isn't that what they're in it for? Only now it's to more people than they get in an auditorium and/or buy magazines.  BTW, I appreciate their (and your) hard work as much as anyone. 

Very true...I never think about the exposure a la magazines, etc. all that much because it's not something I personally focus much on. 
It's gotta be great for their fan base, and if they're making $ through a website or something like that, then it's that much better for them. 
Like I said, for THEM, the benefits must be greater than the risk (of injury). 

Tanji Johnson

• Pros
  • Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 03:34:50 PM »
Hello everyone,

1) I wanted to begin by saying THANK YOU SO MUCH for your kindness, support, encouragement and prayers.  You are so appreciated and loved for this special gift that you give and it means a lot to me that people care.

2) I am choosing not to disclose details about my situation, but just know that I am healing up terrificly and it will be a great recovery. A great friend told me that this is not a set back but a set up for a come back! I love that!

3) I want to also let you know that it was completely worth it. I am an athlete, and there's something incredibly rewarding about giving 100% without fear, without reservation, and a willingness to sacrifice for something most will never achieve. Example, in 2003 I tore my achilles training for the Arnold. Some would say, is it worth it to do fitness when you could get hurt and be out for 6 months or so. I say heck ya! Since then, I have won 3 Pro shows and am now ranked 4th in the world in fitness. It was worth it. It made my return better, and sweeter and I cherish my times of intense activity b/c I don't take it for granted. Those 6 months gave me time to balance out my life, lose my obsession with competing in the IFBB, and grow as a person. As I result, I became a better competitor and a better Tanji.

4) So, here I am again, 2007 (4 years later) with another injury. Just know that I am embracing it, I am in great spirits, I am going to use this time very well (praise God b/c if I weren't I'd be busy working out for 3 hours a day getting ready for the Arnold again) Just know that I will be strengthing my brain, my spirit, my personal life and all the other wonderful things that have nothing to do with working out. Its temporarily, as like being single, I will use it well. And again, it was absolutely worth it. This has been an incredible opportunity and I would gladly sit out (athletically) for a period of time to be able to walk thru the doors I am walking through now. Won't go into detail, but just know that I am extremely grateful to have been chosen for this job and was fully aware of the potential of getting hurt. I was not afraid and am still not afraid. (So for you contenders, keep that in mind when I return :) I am relentless in pursuit :)

You guys know me, nothing stops me, nothing gets me down, not when you live a life of abundance and adventure. I am married to nothing and obsess over nothing, life has so much to offer. Again, I live for Christ and that changes everything.

So, please no sorrows for me. Just continue to send your love and I am sending you mine!!

Its all good!

Love
Tanji (STEALTH)

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 05:09:57 PM »
hey Tanji. thanx for the update. you sound like an incredibly strong and positive person. hope your injury heals well and fast so you can get back doing what u love.

will you go back on Gladiators when your healed?