Author Topic: A question for black Americans...  (Read 2534 times)

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
A question for black Americans...
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:02:06 AM »
How do you feel when white people pretend to be black by adopting black culture, especially slang and accent? We all know there are suburban white kids, who have only seen a ghetto on TV, who go through their entire lives pretending they came from someplace else. I've always been curious about black people's view on this.

Is it insulting, amusing? Can you take a white person like this seriously?

I have a black friend in the US, about 50, who said he appreciates it when white people just talk normally (i.e. white) rather than put on some show. (This is the only way I talk to anyone, because I'm white and I assume that's pretty obvious in the first place.)

Bonus info for black people - I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but some white people will 'act black' in your presence, and then go back to their normal character after they are out of ear shot. I suppose it is to increase their friendships with you.

Super bonus info for black people - if you are trying to get in good with a white guy, call them bro. Trust me, even a bigot will be flattered. Every white guy is secretly pining to be called bro by a black dude.
G

bradistani

• Getbig V
Re: A question for black Americans...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 08:04:17 AM »
since when is shitty rap culture regarded as black culture  ???

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 08:05:54 AM »
OK
G

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 08:07:47 AM »
I wonder if Wiggs or Parker know Wilt Chamberlain,Jesse Jackson or Lou Gosset Jr.  ???  ;D

Lord of the Roidz

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 08:08:33 AM »
How do you feel when white people pretend to be black by adopting black culture, especially slang and accent? We all know there are suburban white kids, who have only seen a ghetto on TV, who go through their entire lives pretending they came from someplace else. I've always been curious about black people's view on this.

I have a black friend in the US, about 50, who said he appreciates it when white people just talk normally (i.e. white) rather than put on some show. (This is the only way I talk to anyone, because I'm white and I assume that's pretty obvious in the first place.)

Bonus info for black people - I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but some white people will 'act black' in your presence, and then go back to their normal character after they are out of ear shot. I suppose it is to increase their friendships with you.

Super bonus info for black people - if you are trying to get in good with a white guy, call them bro. Trust me, even a bigot will be flattered. Every white guy is secretly pining to be called bro by a black dude.

There's nothing more ridiculous or pathetic than a "Wigger."

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 08:09:13 AM »
But I agree all these white Dutch kids rapping and stuff, doesn't make me happy....

PTB

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
I agree with your friend.  No need to try to "act" like someone else.  Just be yourself and accept people as they come.

It's not that complicated.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 08:11:19 AM »
I agree with your friend.  No need to try to "act" like someone else.  Just be yourself and accept people as they come.

This goes for any situation in life.

If people don`t like you for who you are,fuck `em!!

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 08:11:53 AM »
But I agree all these white Dutch kids rapping and stuff, doesn't make me happy....

Dutch are on their way to destruction !!

;)

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 08:13:41 AM »
I agree with your friend.  No need to try to "act" like someone else.  Just be yourself and accept people as they come.

Yes, of course.

But I'm curious what black Americans think about the remainder.
G

b-boy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 08:58:05 AM »
if the little white kids acting black will still talk and act like that when i drop them off in the middle of a KKK compound during a ralley then im cool with them talking and acting that way.

keep it real homeboys!
team b-boy

howardroark

• Getbig IV
  • Resident Objectivist & Autodidact
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 09:04:19 AM »
if the little white kids acting black will still talk and act like that when i drop them off in the middle of a KKK compound during a ralley then im cool with them talking and acting that way.

keep it real homeboys!

lmfao. That's a solid litmus test.

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 09:08:34 AM »
the problem is that rap/street 'culture' is pushed as cool by the clueless white middle class run media  ::)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 09:11:39 AM »

Well, White did it with Rock and Roll, and now, if you go to Blues or Jazz concerts, it's mostly older white "cats", using that old skool slang, "ya dig"?  It's kinda endemic in our culture (American), black folks create something cool---then others wnat to use the slang , the culture, or should I say "adopt" it, so that it becomes cool...it becomes mainstream--therefore diluted.

Really, i don't trust "Wiggers", because I have seen with my own eyes, how they were that in HS or in college, and then as soon as they get a job, they say, "I was going thru a phase", yet, it is always assumed that I am that way...yet I wear a belt and my pants  are on my waist, not below my buttcheeks..the only extra baggy stuff that I wear are big ass sweatpants. I like people who are real with me, and talk to me like a normal person would---the only time I talk with a whole lot of slang is if I am on a hip-hop forum, or if I am around some hoods---and even then my speech is sounds just like what I'm writing now...And they respect me due to the sincerity of my words, and my actions...

One time at work, there was this Wigger who was trying to be hard and talking about a dead body he saw...he had  the prerequisite "turned backwards hat", the baggy pants, and jacket, and the skinny ass neck, and dorky face..he looked like a Caricature...some black dudes who had seen the life in Baltimore, had told him to shut the eff up...had he did a little whimper and pled his case, but nobody was buying...sad, and pathetic...

People try and adopt such behavior because they are ultimately losers with no personality.  

vinnydountsnyc

• Getbig III
  • ''Billy is border line retarded'' Colette Nelson
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 09:13:01 AM »
No blacks on getbig ...................
911 INSIDE JOB !

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 05:51:26 PM »
I wonder if whites get offended when blacks talk all proper etc? ::)

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 01:17:29 AM »
I wonder if whites get offended when blacks talk all proper etc? ::)

I bet you get offended every chance you get. All aboard the hate train!
G

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 03:48:48 AM »
I bet you get offended every chance you get. All aboard the hate train!
one should hate ignorance and im sorry but you and ignorance seem to coincide quite often.

NYSTATEOFMIND

• Getbig IV
  • Getbigs Reporter of perverse news
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 09:58:20 PM »
i think its funny, i mean posers exist in all cultures

i get more unsettled when whites says something is ghetto, when they have never even stepped a toe in any real ghetto
getbig or getgot

Loc

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 02:46:46 PM »

Am Not an African american, but am a black dude who used to live in America. Honestly I think its embarrassing when white people do this. Its bad enough when AFRICAN AMERICANS  act this way even worse when white people do it. I was born in Africa which was colonized by the brits so my english is more refined and WHITE for those wondering.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 04:41:42 PM »
Dey don't be likin it yo 

I agree with what most have said, that one should be oneself and not "pose" as something else...although I do enjoy trying to emulate the British accent for comedic effect. 
~

w8m8

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 04:21:54 AM »
one should hate ignorance and im sorry but you and ignorance seem to coincide quite often.

Touche'

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 03:41:22 AM »
Dey don't be likin it yo 

I agree with what most have said, that one should be oneself and not "pose" as something else...although I do enjoy trying to emulate the British accent for comedic effect. 
I'm living in China right now and I meet a lot of English people working here. Man, there are some funny ones.

I love it when British people do an American accent. Cracks me up everytime.
G

pillowtalk

• Getbig IV
  • Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 03:50:59 AM »
the problem is that rap/street 'culture' is pushed as cool by the clueless white middle class jew run media  ::)
FIXED ^^^^

PT
Growth/noob loves me

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 07:23:37 AM »
FIXED ^^^^

PT
So the Jews are pro hip hop? That's your conspiracy theory?
G