Author Topic: Is time spent in the gym time away from life  (Read 2908 times)

Rhomboids

• Getbig III
Is time spent in the gym time away from life
« on: February 25, 2013, 05:54:24 PM »
As i was looking around, realized that it's pretty cool to have a winter sport lined up since winter sucks so fucking much.  Now once i master snowboarding, i didn't enjoy skiing, i can look forward to winters.  But looking around i couldn't but notice that i didn't spot a single getbigger anywhere.  This made me think.  Does spending more time in the gym keep you away from other things in life?  Or life itself? 

To be honest i don't run into any getbiggers other than in the gym or maybe at the front door of a club.  What's the point if you just use your great body to look in teh mirror when you're at the gym?  Having bodybuild in my teens, i don't look like people who just casually exercise, BUT, i never spent more than 3 days in the gym in a week.  Even so, many sacrifices were made in terms of diet and maintaining the lifestyle. 

I follow the same type of workout as i always have but im a little more inconsistent and i'm not putting on new weights at every workout.  However, given 3 months of straight training i'm 90% back in top shape - and on a bad day no one can ask; do you even lift?  But now i appreciate the workout more because i'm using my body more.  There's just no sense in putting in all this work and not making your body move in different ways. 

Im playing more sports, hitting the bag every now and then and now getting into winter sports. 

The idea of spending most of your free time in the gym pumping yourself up only to not do anything with it seems incomprehensible to me now. 

How do you getbiggers feel about this?

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
Re: Is time spent in the gym time away from life
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 05:56:43 PM »
  cross fit ;D

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 06:02:23 PM »
I suppose if it's some sort of physical activity you are doing and it makes you feel better then it's a case of "six in one hand, half a dozen in the other"

There used to be a bunch of illegal immigrants who lived nearby a few years ago and I always had a blast playing soccer with them and although i SUCKED it was a fantastic workout but pretty most of my former jock friends are lazy married fucks now and I don't see the illegals around so it's just running and lifting at this point.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 06:30:33 PM »

gave you the best years of my life
c

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 06:30:54 PM »
I think I know what you're saying. Training to look pretty isn't what it should be all about. There is other physical culture out there. I use to lift, run and do submission wrestling. It was almost routine watching muscle guys step into the dojo thinking they would have a cake walk against the smaller guys. I use to watch this one hispanic 145lb guy who never lifted just tap out big guys left and right. They would be drenched in sweat and he looked fresh. He just ran and practiced Jiu jitsu. Some never returned cause their ego was so damaged rolling with a skinny guy.

I never put down anyone who devotes their time to something physical. A  dedicated runner is working out really hard. So is the guy riding his bike 40 to 80 miles a day. I like body building or I wouldn't be there. It's just that many guys shooting their steroids staring into a mirror at their body have no respect for other physical endeavors when they would be spanked if they tried the stuff they make fun of like cross fit.

AVBG

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 06:35:35 PM »
 cross fit ;D

Don't laugh, crossfit is prolly the answer OP is looking for  :o

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 08:11:17 PM »
  I grapple, so I have always had functional muscle. Weights are but a part.

AVBG

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 08:23:36 PM »
  I grapple, so I have always had functional muscle. Weights are but a part.

That works for you brah.. Brother Rhomboidals needs to get some functionality

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 02:29:15 AM »
A real sport like hockey or surfing is also pretty useless and "life wasting" but whatever brings you joy and health.

Training with weights has a big advantage and that is a very low risk of injury done right. The downside is that you don't get a lot of fresh air and sun.

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 02:56:48 AM »
...  Does spending more time in the gym keep you away from other things in life?  Or life itself? 

Important question. I like being in the gym. I like training and I like to be part of the social atmosphere. It's interesting and can be fun. There are always some weird characters around and many beautiful women. What's not to like? :-)

Being in the gym is worst if you had a long break and feel out of shape. If you feel that you are a weak fatty and is ashamed, it can be terrible  :-\. But thos who persist shall win!

NN

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 08:51:49 AM »
There is a woman at my gym who has been going there several times a week for years, yet she hasn't changed her body one bit.   The only exercise she does is the Stairmaster.   Her main problem is that she is not using proper range of motion, and like a lot of lazy woman you see on the Stairmaster, she is only moving her legs about 2", thus barely activating the muscles in her legs.   I can't help but notice her as the Stairmaster machines are directly in front of the Treadmills where I do my HIIT sprints following my workouts.   This woman is wasting her time.  Years of doing exercise incorrectly has done absolutely nothing, and has become a waste of time.  

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 08:53:43 AM »
As i was looking around, realized that it's pretty cool to have a winter sport lined up since winter sucks so fucking much.  Now once i master snowboarding, i didn't enjoy skiing, i can look forward to winters.  But looking around i couldn't but notice that i didn't spot a single getbigger anywhere.  This made me think.  Does spending more time in the gym keep you away from other things in life?  Or life itself? 

To be honest i don't run into any getbiggers other than in the gym or maybe at the front door of a club.  What's the point if you just use your great body to look in teh mirror when you're at the gym?  Having bodybuild in my teens, i don't look like people who just casually exercise, BUT, i never spent more than 3 days in the gym in a week.  Even so, many sacrifices were made in terms of diet and maintaining the lifestyle. 

I follow the same type of workout as i always have but im a little more inconsistent and i'm not putting on new weights at every workout.  However, given 3 months of straight training i'm 90% back in top shape - and on a bad day no one can ask; do you even lift?  But now i appreciate the workout more because i'm using my body more.  There's just no sense in putting in all this work and not making your body move in different ways. 

Im playing more sports, hitting the bag every now and then and now getting into winter sports. 

The idea of spending most of your free time in the gym pumping yourself up only to not do anything with it seems incomprehensible to me now. 

You have to find balance... the time you spend getting in shape and maintaining your health is not lost, it's better than doing nothing. At the oposite, being extreme, obsessive about it and only having your little muscles in life is unfulfiling ultimately too. So just train natural , spend like 3 to 5 hours a week in a gym wether it's yours or a commercial one, and that's about it. And develop other areas of your existence.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 08:57:20 AM »
What is life?

What is life to you Rhomboids?

Getting a family, raising your children?

Then yes,it's away from life. Get a homegym in the house and be with yer kids instead.

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 10:45:45 AM »
There is a woman at my gym who has been going there several times a week for years, yet she hasn't changed her body one bit.   The only exercise she does is the Stairmaster.   Her main problem is that she is not using proper range of motion, and like a lot of lazy woman you see on the Stairmaster, she is only moving her legs about 2", thus barely activating the muscles in her legs.   I can't help but notice her as the Stairmaster machines are directly in front of the Treadmills where I do my HIIT sprints following my workouts.   This woman is wasting her time.  Years of doing exercise incorrectly has done absolutely nothing, and has become a waste of time.  

does she have a big ass?
K

Rhomboids

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 04:35:29 PM »
What is life?

What is life to you Rhomboids?

Getting a family, raising your children?

Then yes,it's away from life. Get a homegym in the house and be with yer kids instead.

Life is a roll of the dice.  To me life is akin to different fighting techniques.  You can spend all your life mastering a one-dimensional art (boxing, Karate) and being potentially great at it, or you can dedicate yourself to being above average at every martial art - or being an audience member. 

Getting a family and raising children is a social trap perpetrated so that you can never really become a trouble maker or pursue your dreams.  What does every action movie teach you?  The kids are always the achilles heel to the action star. 

In my 30's i have a decent idea of what it means to live.  I sacrificed a lot of my teenage years in the gym at the expense of a social life, but i still have long ways to go.  I never spent that long in the gym, but the time wasted was in making sure to not miss a meal, enough rest and all the bullshit the magazines in the 90s told us to do. 

Really i'm not bitter...

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 04:40:23 PM »
if gym time = fitness, and Fitness = longer healthier life
then gym time = Longer happier life.
A

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 05:25:25 PM »

must be quiet sad wasting all that time over the years looking and thinking about someone else wasting their time over the years with out knowing if in fact they think they have wasted time. It also sad that after all that observation neither of ye seem to know each other
c