Author Topic: Lunatic my gym tonight....a real life Getbig Experience!  (Read 1902 times)

JasonH

• Getbig V
Lunatic my gym tonight....a real life Getbig Experience!
« on: January 14, 2008, 01:06:21 PM »

Okay, so I'm in the legs area of my gym this evening just finishing off some calf work and there's this guy who has started his workout in the power-rack.

Roughly about early twenties, 150lbs with what looks like 13inch arms. He's obviously a few cans short of a six-pack becuase his workout attire consists of a woollen jumper and corduroy trousers, both looking very dirty. He is wearing socks but no shoes.  :-\

He proceeds to put 225 on the bar and deadlifts from the floor with a rounded back and straight legs. Gets about three reps. I feel sore just watching it.

Then he puts another 45 each side and I'm about to say something to him when he turns to me, and sees me watching him with a quizzical look. He takes this as if I'm impressed with his lifting ( ::) ) and proceeds to try and lift the 315 off the floor. He makes it for a single! Probably twice his own bodyweight but with the worst form I've ever seen.

He then takes some weight off, puts the bar on the rack holsters at knee level and proceeds to lift 400lbs for a range of motion of about 10inches. Gets one rep. Puts bar down. Looks at me.

Then he adds ANOTHER plate each side bringing the bar and lifts it about two inches but can't lock out. He tries a second time and fails completely.

So I think fuck it and I ask him what he's training for and he tells me he wants to enter strongman (he's been watching WSM over xmas).

I told him he shouldn't be training like that and to practice the movement doing proper reps with good form but he's having none of it, tells me "I've got a powerlifter friend who deadlifts 1000lbs and he told me to train this way doing nothing but singles".  ::)

I say "Who's your friend?"

He says "Sebastian"

I say "no surname?"

He says "I don't know it."

I say "okay mate I suppose your "friend" whose surname you don't know is probably the strongest deadlifter in the world?"

He then changes the subject and proceeds to lecture me on how his workouts only last 45 minutes and how "Dorian Yates used to train this way", and that "there is no wrong way to train"!

I say "Dorian Yates didn't do deadlifts like that".

I walked away in the end - I felt like I'd had a Getbig experience but in real life where I'm arguing with a complete moron and getting nowhere.

Discuss.

Monster81

• Getbig IV
Re: Lunatic my gym tonight....a real life Getbig Experience!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 01:08:54 PM »
couldent u summarise all that in few sentenses

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 01:11:47 PM »
you should of BNP 315 and really destroyed his ego.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 02:41:05 PM »
Future O in the making - stop your haterade  ;D

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 03:40:01 AM »
You should have asked him how much he could pull suitcase style.  You would have had a nice laugh watching Mariusz Jr tear a lat.

peroni

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 03:58:03 AM »
I've been a p trainer for 14 years and sometimes it kills me to watch people do shit on the gym. I've learned that most of the time, it's better to keep my mouth shut because these people don't want help and need to pile as much weight on the bar because they center their egos around the poundages, whether they can lift it or not.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 04:47:26 AM »
Okay, so I'm in the legs area of my gym this evening just finishing off some calf work and there's this guy who has started his workout in the power-rack.

Roughly about early twenties, 150lbs with what looks like 13inch arms. He's obviously a few cans short of a six-pack becuase his workout attire consists of a woollen jumper and corduroy trousers, both looking very dirty. He is wearing socks but no shoes.  :-\

He proceeds to put 225 on the bar and deadlifts from the floor with a rounded back and straight legs. Gets about three reps. I feel sore just watching it.

Then he puts another 45 each side and I'm about to say something to him when he turns to me, and sees me watching him with a quizzical look. He takes this as if I'm impressed with his lifting ( ::) ) and proceeds to try and lift the 315 off the floor. He makes it for a single! Probably twice his own bodyweight but with the worst form I've ever seen.

He then takes some weight off, puts the bar on the rack holsters at knee level and proceeds to lift 400lbs for a range of motion of about 10inches. Gets one rep. Puts bar down. Looks at me.

Then he adds ANOTHER plate each side bringing the bar and lifts it about two inches but can't lock out. He tries a second time and fails completely.

So I think fuck it and I ask him what he's training for and he tells me he wants to enter strongman (he's been watching WSM over xmas).

I told him he shouldn't be training like that and to practice the movement doing proper reps with good form but he's having none of it, tells me "I've got a powerlifter friend who deadlifts 1000lbs and he told me to train this way doing nothing but singles".  ::)

He says "Sebastian"

I say "no surname?"

I say "okay mate I suppose your "friend" whose surname you don't know is probably the strongest deadlifter in the world?"

He then changes the subject and proceeds to lecture me on how his workouts only last 45 minutes and how "Dorian Yates used to train this way", and that "there is no wrong way to train"!

I walked away in the end - I felt like I'd had a Getbig experience but in real life where I'm arguing with a complete moron and getting nowhere.

Discuss.

Please post this over at www.gymstories.com No Registration required to submit/post a story.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 04:58:49 AM »
Please post this over at www.gymstories.com No Registration required to submit/post a story.

The aliens are ready to abduct you. :o

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 05:02:29 AM »

quoted for truth.
b

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 05:07:01 AM »
The aliens are ready to abduct you. :o

Does it make a difference that I'm not quite ready yet?

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 05:15:10 AM »

He says "Sebastian"

I say "no surname?"

Discuss.

Hey you should have told me you were comming by my gym last night!

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 05:54:22 AM »
Iv'e never been in a gym where your allowed to workout without shoes.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 06:54:58 AM »

He says "Sebastian"

I say "no surname?"

Discuss.

nice story, you wrote it in fifth grade?

driverant

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 07:12:30 AM »
when I train, IF i go to talk to someone for ANY reason, it has to be an impressive lift to get me interested and then I ask how much and how he/she trains.

I allways ignore the fools.