Author Topic: L.A. Noire  (Read 5322 times)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
L.A. Noire
« on: May 16, 2011, 07:49:31 PM »
Got my copy a day earlier... For the Xbox360 myself.

Rockstar may have a game of the year here... The facial animations are AMAZING.

I've only played about an hours worth, but it's absolutely fantastic.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Re: L.A. Noire
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 10:13:37 PM »
I really want to check this out but I'll wait a bit because my expectations are pretty high after all the hype. I guess the replay value will be pretty lame.

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 01:44:27 AM »
gah fucking americans, i have to wait 3 more days before they release it here in sweden =/

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:11:56 PM »
picked up mortal kombat and pre-ordered the new COD. Noire looks good though

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 11:32:29 PM »
Yeah I got Mortal Kombat too.

Question, I hated all the Grand Theft Auto games, will I hate LA Noir?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 11:39:54 PM »

What did you hate about GTA?

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 07:06:49 AM »

I don't know how anyone could have hated gta4, the story was great but the game play can get repetitive after a while, especially having to drive back to a scene if you fail the first time.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 09:57:03 AM »
I don't know how anyone could have hated gta4, the story was great but the game play can get repetitive after a while, especially having to drive back to a scene if you fail the first time.

I haven't had that issue with LA Noire... As a matter of fact, if I've died in a footchase or something, it puts me right back at the beginning of the scene... Not an annoyance like GTA4 had.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 02:38:36 PM »
The things I hated the most in  GTA were the car chases and dealing with the freaking wanted levels and having to get to the safe zones.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 08:02:22 PM »
I haven't had that issue with LA Noire... As a matter of fact, if I've died in a footchase or something, it puts me right back at the beginning of the scene... Not an annoyance like GTA4 had.

I'm going to pick it up this weekend.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 05:37:28 AM »

It's not a sandbox game like GTA.  I'm hearing really good reviews from people I trust on this stuff, tu-holmes included.
Y

L00n

• Getbig IV
  • Bulgaria
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 06:47:59 AM »

no

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Y

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 07:23:27 PM »
I have been playing it for 3 days, no issues on my 360.

I don't do the PS3 anymore... Ever since PSN went down, It's been a paperweight.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 09:05:57 PM »
Yeah, so I was bored and picked the game up today and I'm already on the fifth case in only a few hours playing. I certainly hope this gets better as it goes along because right now I'm having some regrets. The only thing that's been kinda impressive are the facial expressions but even with the hints off the game totally directs you to the offender without much real detective work. You would have to be pretty stupid not to figure it out thus far unless the objective if the game is to only score points .Without spoiling parts of the game I can least mention That in one of cases all you do is ask like 4 questions and you basically have the thing figured out. There is 0 replay value in this game unless you wanna get a perfect score on figuring out what to ask and so far I've only missed getting like 3 of those. Playing this again when you already know the outcome to get the other couple of question correct hardly seems like fun.

There's still a ways to go, (15 cases I think), so maybe I'll be surprised. So far I think there's more hype to this than substance.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 09:08:35 PM »
Yeah, so I was bored and picked the game up today and I'm already on the fifth case in only a few hours playing. I certainly hope this gets better as it goes along because right now I'm having some regrets. The only thing that's been kinda impressive are the facial expressions but even with the hints off the game totally directs you to the offender without much real detective work. Without spoiling parts of the game I can least mention That in one of cases all you do is ask like 4 questions and you basically have the thing figured out. There is 0 replay value in this game unless you wanna get a perfect score on figuring out what to ask and so far I've only missed getting like 3 of those. Playing this again when you already know the outcome to get the other couple of question correct hardly seems like fun.

There's still a ways to go, (15 cases I think), so maybe I'll be surprised. So far I think there's more hype to this than substance.

The first 3 cases are technically "training cases" so they don't count... once you get into homicide the story gets much better and things start to fall into place.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 09:13:54 PM »
I really want to check this out but I'll wait a bit because my expectations are pretty high after all the hype. I guess the replay value will be pretty lame.

My thoughts exactly. This is one of those games that are fun and interesting to play but after you beat it....that's it. If you haven't done it, even just for a couple of months, Gamefly is a good investment for these types. I only pay like $9 a month and get games like this. Portal, LA Noire, Dark Rain ect..cool to play, beat it in a couple of days, no real replay value. $9 is better than $65 per game purchase.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 09:45:50 PM »
The first 3 cases are technically "training cases" so they don't count... once you get into homicide the story gets much better and things start to fall into place.

Im not bailing on it until I get way further into it and see how it goes. Just expressing some concern over the purchase so far. Thanks for the ray of hope though. Lol.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 09:53:26 PM »
Im not bailing on it until I get way further into it and see how it goes. Just expressing some concern over the purchase so far. Thanks for the ray of hope though. Lol.

Well, we all like what we like right? If you don't like it... I'm sorry. :(

I enjoy it, but it's my type of game you know.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 10:03:35 PM »
Well, we all like what we like right? If you don't like it... I'm sorry. :(

I enjoy it, but it's my type of game you know.

No worries bro.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 07:43:30 AM »
My thoughts exactly. This is one of those games that are fun and interesting to play but after you beat it....that's it. If you haven't done it, even just for a couple of months, Gamefly is a good investment for these types. I only pay like $9 a month and get games like this. Portal, LA Noire, Dark Rain ect..cool to play, beat it in a couple of days, no real replay value. $9 is better than $65 per game purchase.

I agree in premise, but I want to add that paying $60 doesn't seem to be the norm anymore, since Amazon, etc...always seem to have gift card deals, and stuff to mitigate the price.  I saw Noire straight up for $45 at places.
Y

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 08:49:40 PM »
Redbox is renting it now for 2 dollars a day!

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 01:15:49 PM »
uh-oh

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/19/ps3-users-report-la-noire-overheating-issues-rockstar-and-sony/

i haven't had a problem and i got the game the day it was released, which btw is good but not great, it's a little repetitive

i think a bigger problem is the game being on 3 disks (like you're still playing final fantasy 7 on psx in 96) and having worse graphics on the 360 :D

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 01:30:31 PM »
It's not a sandbox game like GTA.  I'm hearing really good reviews from people I trust on this stuff, tu-holmes included.

yes people that think banjo kazooie is one of the big exclusives for ps3 know so much ;)

E
E

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2011, 01:55:36 PM »
yes people that think banjo kazooie is one of the big exclusives for ps3 know so much ;)

E

I'm sorry... I don't understand what you are saying.