Author Topic: From Man to Beast. Working towards a 300kg deadlift  (Read 53631 times)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Thanks for the support guys. It's really appreciated!

Well, today didn't go quite to plan  :( I had to lift heavier than I wanted. Another guy was in at my age and weight, my competitive side didn't want to give in and a few guys said this guy shouldn't be on the same platform as me. So I wanted to prove that despite still recovering from injury I could still win. I had planned on just doing openers for qualifying for the worlds. The competition weights are in kg as follows and are raw, just a belt, no belt on bench:

Squat: 190, 200, 210
Bench: 120, 130, 135*
Deadlift: 210, 232.5, -

I seriously screwed up my bench. On the 135 it reached a point where I knew I had it. I relaxed and got complacent so the bar slowed down and dropped about a centimetre and then I finished the lift. Got three reds. So annoyed at myself on this. Very very sloppy. Lack of discipline. This weight was well within me.

The 210 squat was tough enough, but then again, I haven't even squatted over 137.5kg in training. 500lb should be here soon.

Deadlifts, 232.5 went up nice and smooth and I didn't need anymore, so I left the third lift. The dude in my class was reading the rule book and stuff for some reason I dunno, but I heard he told his mates he hurt his back. Imo, his back was fine. There was no sign of injury in his first deadlift. Tbh I think this was an excuse so it would look like he wasn't beaten outright.

*=missed

At the end of it all, I'm national drug free champ at my age and weight and so I achieved my objectives  Here's to the world champs in Milton Keynes, 14-15th November this year. If anyone on the forum will be there or wants to say hello let me know!

So good to be back on the platform! Representing getbig ta fuck!!

burn2live

• Getbig IV

tonymctones

• Getbig V
awesome shit bro congrats ;D what injury are you recovering from, shoulder?

burn2live

• Getbig IV
awesome shit bro congrats ;D what injury are you recovering from, shoulder?

Lower back. Sacroiliac ligaments. Seriously fudged them up  :(

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Lower back. Sacroiliac ligaments. Seriously fudged them up  :(
huh really? no offense but by your numbers i thought a shoulder, your squat and dead numbers look pretty damn good your bench seems like should be higher by looking at the other two again no offense i dont powerlift so i could be talking out of my ass with a lower back injury i would think it would be the other way around. How did you screw up your back up? ligaments sounds pretty serious :(

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Good stuff burn!  Congrats!!   8)

:)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
huh really? no offense but by your numbers i thought a shoulder, your squat and dead numbers look pretty damn good your bench seems like should be higher by looking at the other two again no offense i dont powerlift so i could be talking out of my ass with a lower back injury i would think it would be the other way around. How did you screw up your back up? ligaments sounds pretty serious :(

None taken at all. You're right, my bench has always been crap. I have pretty poor strength in my delts which I'm working on. I also think my shoulders are a bit lax. Interestingly I recently noticed my collar bones are uneven, which could indicate I may have fractured one of them when I was a little kid and it went unnoticed. Whether this could affect my bench now I dunno.

Screwed my back up deadlifting  :( Thanks for the comment man.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Good stuff burn!  Congrats!!   8)

Thanks rip!  :)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
None taken at all. You're right, my bench has always been crap. I have pretty poor strength in my delts which I'm working on. I also think my shoulders are a bit lax. Interestingly I recently noticed my collar bones are uneven, which could indicate I may have fractured one of them when I was a little kid and it went unnoticed. Whether this could affect my bench now I dunno.

Screwed my back up deadlifting  :( Thanks for the comment man.
of course man

thats weird about the collar bones, my right shoulder sits a tad lower then the left not really noticable to anybody but me but my right shoulder is the one thats screwed up too so who knows.

keep up the good work bro

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Re: From Man to Beast. Working to a 500lb raw squat Page 6
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2009, 03:48:34 PM »
On a side note, just found a pic online of me bustin out a squat from last weekend. I'm guessing this is the 210kg, may have been the 200kg cos the bar looks like it has slid up my traps, which I remember happened during that lift. Enjoy  :P

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2009, 07:13:28 PM »
You shouldnt put pics like that in the hands of getbiggers.  ;)

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2009, 08:17:23 PM »
congrats man, it sounds like you had a good meet, you know with you winning and all!

the first thing that came in mind was a "surprise: butt sex" motivational poster!

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2009, 03:38:09 AM »

lol. Think I should remove it?

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2009, 07:05:11 AM »
lol. Think I should remove it?

NO.  It's a good pic.  :)
:)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2009, 12:24:26 PM »

NO.  It's a good pic.  :)

lol. Thanks Rip. It stays then. If any getbiggers wreck it you can stick up for me  :P

Just in from legs, some abs and lower back today. New deadlift/rack pull routine thrown into the mix

Squats working sets back up to 3 wheels. Woooo
Rack pulls very easy
Reverse Hypers with the second of the 41 inch Iron Woody bands doubled round the hyper machine
Hanging leg raises
Hyperextensions with the first of the 41 inch Iron Woody bands doubled round the hyper machine
Turkish Get Ups for a change. Just 30kg on these.

I was experimenting on the low carb diet for a while, but it wasn't conducive to studying, so I've just cleaned up my diet over the last few weeks and if anything I seem to be getting fatter  :-\ This is weird. Either that or I'm developing body dysmorphia. lol. I also think I'm a couple of kg lighter than I was and I look worse for it. I'm going to get really strict with it and see what happens. I'm thinking the beta blockers I'm on for the headaches I get are what's holding me back. Slower heart rate, slower metabolism I guess

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #140 on: April 24, 2009, 01:39:59 PM »
Counteract those damn beta blockers with good ole fashioned amphetamines. >:(

Low carb is not conducive to life. More cardio=the key.

I hear ya on the dysmorphia. I started getting my shit together and I feel like Im falling apart.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #141 on: May 01, 2009, 09:52:59 AM »
Videofest yesterday:

100kg squat form/depth check. I feel like I'm a lot lower than I actually am. Deep enough?

Same again, 120kg on my back. Deep enough?

Same again, 142.5kg on my back. Deep enough?

170kg plus 12 inch Iron Woody bands, the two smallest ones. From well below the knee. Feels like I'm right at my sticking point.

Later in the day I was down in my friend's gym. He has a new log, so I just had to give it a go even though my lower back and legs were pooped. lol. Bear in mind I've never lifted a log before  :-\

100kg log:

105kg log:

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #142 on: May 01, 2009, 01:44:01 PM »
awesome videos!

depth looks good, it might be the camera angle that might make it closer than it seems.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #143 on: May 01, 2009, 04:03:49 PM »
Depth looks fine. Some get slightly high but you're not in a PL meet so who cares? Good work!

Nice job with the log too! First time I used one I wobbled all over the damn place just trying to stabilize. ;D It was 225lbs too.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #144 on: May 01, 2009, 04:49:11 PM »
awesome videos!

depth looks good, it might be the camera angle that might make it closer than it seems.

Cheers man!

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2009, 04:52:10 PM »
Depth looks fine. Some get slightly high but you're not in a PL meet so who cares? Good work!

Nice job with the log too! First time I used one I wobbled all over the damn place just trying to stabilize. ;D It was 225lbs too.

Hmm, but I don't want to get into bad habits  :-\ The weight is easy, I think I can add a few extra kg to my 1rm squat in the next few months.

Dunno why, just can't get nearly as deep as I used to. It's got to be the slightly wider stance and my hip flexors being really tight.

The log is great fun. Going to train with it again tomorrow.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: May 01, 2009, 08:33:50 PM »
COOL SHIT BRO, lol ya that pic is gonna get used a bit around here for sure but it is a damn good pic

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2009, 11:42:02 PM »
Cant get low? Do olympic squats more often. They will loosen you up a bit. They'll also make you a whole different kind of sore. :D

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #148 on: May 02, 2009, 09:25:25 AM »
COOL SHIT BRO, lol ya that pic is gonna get used a bit around here for sure but it is a damn good pic

lol. Cheers man. No doubt some skinny twink squatting a 1rm of 100lbs will abuse the pic  :D

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #149 on: May 02, 2009, 09:26:41 AM »
Cant get low? Do olympic squats more often. They will loosen you up a bit. They'll also make you a whole different kind of sore. :D

What's the difference between Olympic squat and regular squat? Olympic squat narrower stance?