Author Topic: protein intake  (Read 2201 times)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
protein intake
« on: December 08, 2008, 09:39:18 PM »
more protein = more growth

Dietary protein
A VLCARB is almost always relatively high in protein. There is evidence that high protein intake increases protein synthesis by increasing systemic amino acid availability [21], which is a potent stimulus of muscle protein synthesis [22]. During weight loss, higher protein intake reduces loss of muscle mass and increases loss of body fat [9]. It has been proposed that the branched-chain amino acid leucine interacts with the insulin signaling pathway to stimulate downstream control of protein synthesis, resulting in maintenance of muscle mass during periods of restricted energy intake [10]. A recent study by Harber et al. reported that a VLCARB/high-protein diet increases skeletal muscle protein synthesis despite a dramatic reduction in insulin levels [8].

8. Harber MP, Schenk S, Barkan AL, Horowitz JF: Effects of dietary carbohydrate restriction with high protein intake on protein metabolism and the somatotropic axis.

J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005, 90(9):5175-81.

9. Layman DK, Evans E, Baum JI, Seyler J, Erickson DJ, Boileau RA: Dietary protein and exercise have additive effects on body composition during weight loss in adult women.

J Nutr 2005, 135:1903-10.

10. Layman DK, Walker DA: Potential importance of leucine in treatment of obesity and the metabolic syndrome.

J Nutr 2006, 136:319S-23S.

21. Motil KJ, Matthews DE, Bier DM, Burke JF, Munro HN, Young VR: Whole-body leucine and lysine metabolism: response to dietary protein intake in young men.

Am J Physiol 1981, 240:E712-E721.

22. Paddon-Jones D, Sheffield-Moore M, Zhang XJ, Volpi E, Wolf SE, Aarsland A, Ferrando AA, Wolfe RR: Amino acid ingestion improves muscle protein synthesis in the young and elderly.

Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2004, 286:E321-E328.

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/3/1/9

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
Re: protein intake
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 01:59:08 AM »
more protein = more growth

Dietary protein
A VLCARB is almost always relatively high in protein. There is evidence that high protein intake increases protein synthesis by increasing systemic amino acid availability [21], which is a potent stimulus of muscle protein synthesis [22]. During weight loss, higher protein intake reduces loss of muscle mass and increases loss of body fat [9]. It has been proposed that the branched-chain amino acid leucine interacts with the insulin signaling pathway to stimulate downstream control of protein synthesis, resulting in maintenance of muscle mass during periods of restricted energy intake [10]. A recent study by Harber et al. reported that a VLCARB/high-protein diet increases skeletal muscle protein synthesis despite a dramatic reduction in insulin levels [8].

8. Harber MP, Schenk S, Barkan AL, Horowitz JF: Effects of dietary carbohydrate restriction with high protein intake on protein metabolism and the somatotropic axis.

J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005, 90(9):5175-81.

9. Layman DK, Evans E, Baum JI, Seyler J, Erickson DJ, Boileau RA: Dietary protein and exercise have additive effects on body composition during weight loss in adult women.

J Nutr 2005, 135:1903-10.

10. Layman DK, Walker DA: Potential importance of leucine in treatment of obesity and the metabolic syndrome.

J Nutr 2006, 136:319S-23S.

21. Motil KJ, Matthews DE, Bier DM, Burke JF, Munro HN, Young VR: Whole-body leucine and lysine metabolism: response to dietary protein intake in young men.

Am J Physiol 1981, 240:E712-E721.

22. Paddon-Jones D, Sheffield-Moore M, Zhang XJ, Volpi E, Wolf SE, Aarsland A, Ferrando AA, Wolfe RR: Amino acid ingestion improves muscle protein synthesis in the young and elderly.

Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2004, 286:E321-E328.

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/3/1/9

I swear by 5g BCAA e3h during cutting.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 02:02:07 AM »
thanks for the post!

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 09:04:37 AM »
your welcome DK, thats from anssi manninen article on low carb diets, i thought this =

high protein intake increases protein synthesis by increasing systemic amino acid availability [21], which is a potent stimulus of muscle protein synthesis [22].

was particularly nice.

....basically, for those who cant understand it on their own, .." eating protein stimulates growth"

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 09:31:49 AM »
Actually, it's how much protein you assimilate, not how much total grams you eat. That's the reason that it is smart to take digestive enzymes with large protein meals to further facilitate the breakdown into absorbable amino acids. Also, I have had good result taking 20 Enzymatically Hydrolyzed whey amino acid capsules 4 times a day in addition to protein meals and shakes. Also I take 10 500 mg Leucine capsules before and after workout and a Whey Hydrolosate shake after training as well.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 09:55:15 AM »
by assimilate you mean digest and release into the blood stream ?

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 10:06:16 AM »
by assimilate you mean digest and release into the blood stream ?
Yes, after the digestion process has converted the consumed protein into smaller amino acid peptide chains. The more complete the protein, the more nitrogen can be retained. For example cooking meat can degrade some of the amino acids, but theoretically if you were able to time ingesting some amino acid supplements about the same time your meat was digesting, it would render it a superior , more complete protein.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 10:08:30 AM »
Yes, after the digestion process has converted the consumed protein into smaller amino acid peptide chains. The more complete the protein, the more nitrogen can be retained. For example cooking meat can degrade some of the amino acids, but theoretically if you were able to time ingesting some amino acid supplements about the same time your meat was digesting, it would render it a superior , more complete protein.

but almost all the protien you eat will be digested and released into the bloodstream. although i undertsand dwhat your saying about amino acid profiles and growth.

where do you get your hydrolyzed whey capsules and leucine capsule ?

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 10:21:07 AM »
but almost all the protien you eat will be digested and released into the bloodstream. although i undertsand dwhat your saying about amino acid profiles and growth.

where do you get your hydrolyzed whey capsules and leucine capsule ?
A company called Ultimate Nutrition makes a product called Amino Gold capsules, which are basically pre-digested whey isolate capsules (1000 mg) a cap. I believe 20 grams of pre-digested whey protein is equivalent to a much higher amount of regular whey Isolate per gram. The L-Leucine caps are from  Source Natural. I get them from either Bodybuilding.com or Amazon.com. Amazon has some great deals and it's convenient since I don't have to keep entering my credit card. The best protein powder though, I've ever used is Prot-whey. It's 100% hyrdolyzed Whey isolate and they've flavored it really well. It's the only Hydrolosate I've taken that doesn't taste terrible, plus even some whey isolates tend to bloat my stomach.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 10:22:12 AM »
Sorry, that was supposed to be Proto-Whey.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 10:23:07 AM »
thanks man im gonna look into those

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 10:24:07 AM »
I understand the whole concept & such. But in all honesty I made more progress (& felt better) eating less protein.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 10:24:40 AM »
thanks man im gonna look into those
I saw where you said you ordered a Hydrolyzed whey powder from Trueprotein. Did it taste good? Just curious.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 10:25:39 AM »
I understand the whole concept & such. But in all honesty I made more progress (& felt better) eating less protein.
Again, I don't think you need to eat a lot, just properly timed and highly assimilated forms .

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 10:26:35 AM »
I saw where you said you ordered a Hydrolyzed whey powder from Trueprotein. Did it taste good? Just curious.
it tastes HORRIBLE

i might put it into caps

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 10:27:19 AM »
Again, I don't think you need to eat a lot, just properly timed and highly assimilated forms .

Agreed.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 10:27:45 AM »
it tastes HORRIBLE

i might put it into caps

That'd be a lot of caps you'd have to make.  :-\

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 10:28:25 AM »
it tastes HORRIBLE

i might put it into caps
Look into Proto-Whey, especially the French Vanilla flavor. I get it from Amazon, but you might find it somewhere else. It tastes great. I take it right after I train and I think it really helps. It tastes excellent.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 10:29:17 AM »
i will.

i have thousands upon thousands of clear caps and a capsule machine so it wouldnt be too hard.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 10:30:07 AM »
i will.

i have thousands upon thousands of clear caps and a capsule machine so it wouldnt be too hard.

Still seems like a lot of work. Why not just order a different whey isolate?

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 10:33:34 AM »
i will.

Well, if you wanted pure Hydrolyzed whey without any flavors or sweeteners, encapsulating might work. You'd need to take at least 20 caps containing 1 gram of protein each, per serving. If you don't mind some flavors and sucralose, then the Proto-Whey is the way to go. I haven't decided whether or not modest consumption of Nutra-sweet is unhealthy. So far, i'm not too worried about it.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 10:34:20 AM »
i have two ten pound bags of on 100% whey that im using right now..which are half whey isolate half whey concentrate... they taste okay so im using them.       id put the hydrosylate into capsules for in between meals.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 10:35:50 AM »
Still seems like a lot of work. Why not just order a different whey isolate?
We're talking about Hydrolyzed Whey Isolate, which is way better than regular whey isolate (at least for post training applications). Problem is they all taste horrendous except this one product called Proto-Whey.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 10:37:35 AM »
i have two ten pound bags of on 100% whey that im using right now..which are half whey isolate half whey concentrate... they taste okay so im using them.       id put the hydrosylate into capsules for in between meals.
Sounds like a good plan. Since the hydrolyzed whey is the fastest assimilating protein, post workout is the best time to take it as well.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 01:02:23 PM »
interestingly enough, i have made good results with a protein intake at about 1-2g per lb bodyweight.

The only way i am able to take up more is through casein. Everything else results in digestion problems of the severe kind. lol.

The other thing i could try is to take up about 50-60g of whey after workout.