Author Topic: A friend of mine got biten in the hand by his rotti  (Read 6824 times)

Slin1

• Getbig IV
A friend of mine got biten in the hand by his rotti
« on: May 10, 2007, 02:52:54 AM »
He missthreats it a little but anyway

Any of you got attacked by your pet?
Money drugs and bitches

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
Re: A friend of mine got biten in the hand by his rotti
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 05:05:13 AM »
Yeah ones when my male mastino was like 9 months old....he was protecting his food i just gave him...he tryed to bite me in the forehead but he missed so i smacked the shit out of him....he never did that again...
?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 05:59:23 AM »
I've only had "incidences" over food, and only with Briona.  Tad will get snarly but he doesn't seriously bite, he soft bites your hand but sounds like he is rabid.

Briona on the other hand is the only one that I will not put my hand near her food. If I want her to drop something food related I will command her to do it first. I don't know if she would actually bite me, but I am not taking the chance.  She has made improvements, after we have had a few show downs, but I have never tested the hand in the feeding bowl.  Emmett I could reach right in his mouth and take the food out.  Addie had a growling incident but I corrected that.  I do test her every once in awhile and praise her so she gets rewarded and knows I am not just messing with her food.    But they have to realize that everything belongs to me, all the food is mine, toys etc. 

I don't take things away from them just to mess with them because then that would reinforce that they have a reason to not want to give it up.   Like I said, I will sometimes test it by petting Addie while she is eating or tossing in a fish oil cap into her bowl.

But to answer the original question, I have never had one of them just bite or attack me for no reason. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 06:49:56 AM »
I've only had "incidences" over food, and only with Briona.  Tad will get snarly but he doesn't seriously bite, he soft bites your hand but sounds like he is rabid.

Briona on the other hand is the only one that I will not put my hand near her food. If I want her to drop something food related I will command her to do it first. I don't know if she would actually bite me, but I am not taking the chance.  She has made improvements, after we have had a few show downs, but I have never tested the hand in the feeding bowl.  Emmett I could reach right in his mouth and take the food out.  Addie had a growling incident but I corrected that.  I do test her every once in awhile and praise her so she gets rewarded and knows I am not just messing with her food.    But they have to realize that everything belongs to me, all the food is mine, toys etc. 

I don't take things away from them just to mess with them because then that would reinforce that they have a reason to not want to give it up.   Like I said, I will sometimes test it by petting Addie while she is eating or tossing in a fish oil cap into her bowl.

But to answer the original question, I have never had one of them just bite or attack me for no reason.

The original question was,
Any of you got attacked by your pet?

Not if it had attacked you for no reason.

What breeds are your dogs, and how many do you have?

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 07:24:54 AM »
The original question was,
Not if it had attacked you for no reason.

What breeds are your dogs, and how many do you have?

-Hedge

::)

I've never been attacked, snarled and growled at, but never attacked.  The poster does not say what, if anything, prompted the attack.  Did the dog just go up and bite him?  Were they playing?  Did he take something away?  Since the nature of the "attack" wasn't specified I answered with specifics.   :P

I have 2 Great Danes, male and female, 1 1/2 Dane, female, and 1 Chihuahua, male.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 09:06:28 AM »
I've been challenged by our Rottie....but I think it was his testosterone building up & he was seeing what he could get away with.

When I corrected him (forceful)..he was really sorry.  He's never done it again & has been very-very loving & very respectful.  We don't show him signs of aggression, so he has none of his own.  I like to play with him which consist mostly of laying on the floor & wrestling a little...but he knows that I have limits & that he has limits.  Most of the time...it's not very aggressive wrestling but more of a push, lean, or laying on top of one another or giving him big bear hugs.  He loves to be picked up like a little puppy....He's about or almost 120lbs...so that gets to be fun.  There's no hitting, biting, slapping, pulling, etc...

When it comes to his food...I can put my hand in his dish (or anyone for that fact).  We had started him as a puppy & even at this point...he has a funny habit when it comes to eating....he likes for you to stand there & pet him when he eats.  Alot of it is...he doesn't want to miss anything.  So if you stand there next to him....I think he feels like he's not missing something exciting that I may be doing without him.  If we walk away from him....he stops eating.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 02:09:26 PM »
I've been challenged by our Rottie....but I think it was his testosterone building up & he was seeing what he could get away with.

When I corrected him (forceful)..he was really sorry.  He's never done it again & has been very-very loving & very respectful.  We don't show him signs of aggression, so he has none of his own.  I like to play with him which consist mostly of laying on the floor & wrestling a little...but he knows that I have limits & that he has limits.  Most of the time...it's not very aggressive wrestling but more of a push, lean, or laying on top of one another or giving him big bear hugs.  He loves to be picked up like a little puppy....He's about or almost 120lbs...so that gets to be fun.  There's no hitting, biting, slapping, pulling, etc...

When it comes to his food...I can put my hand in his dish (or anyone for that fact).  We had started him as a puppy & even at this point...he has a funny habit when it comes to eating....he likes for you to stand there & pet him when he eats.  Alot of it is...he doesn't want to miss anything.  So if you stand there next to him....I think he feels like he's not missing something exciting that I may be doing without him.  If we walk away from him....he stops eating.

To funny Kenny, our little pit puppy Chaos, wouldnt eat for the first few days without me next to him... And even then he wouldnt do anything until I took the food out of his bowl and put it on the ground with my hand behind it... He then would push the food against my hand and eat it... He now just waits until I watch him start eating and then it is okay... He wont eat until I acknowledge the fact that he is eating same thing with the wife if she is in the kitchen.....

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 03:26:28 PM »

To funny Kenny, our little pit puppy Chaos, wouldnt eat for the first few days without me next to him... And even then he wouldnt do anything until I took the food out of his bowl and put it on the ground with my hand behind it... He then would push the food against my hand and eat it... He now just waits until I watch him start eating and then it is okay... He wont eat until I acknowledge the fact that he is eating same thing with the wife if she is in the kitchen.....

Yeah...it's funny at times.  When I was a kid growing up...we raised Labs.  At one time we had 5 dogs.  When you fed them...they acted like they were practically starving.  I am sure they acted that way because of territorial views & competition...but this pup did that at first too.  Then one day...it instantly seemed more important knowing what we were doing at all times than the importance of eating.  He's really funny at times....leaning on me just to make sure I don't walk away.

It's funny how they develop behavior likes this or how your pup did with you.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 03:47:24 PM »

My dogs don't give a shit what I am doing when they are eating, they do care what each other is doing. 

Cept Emmett, Emmett doesn't like a lot of commotion going on when he is eating.  He's very sensitive.  Which is why Tad gets locked in his crate and eats in there at feeding time and is not let out til the last one is done, which is usually Emmett.  If Emmett is still eating and Tad is out Tad will stand there and bark at him.  Very annoying and poor Emmett doesn't need that.  So Tad waits and then when he gets let out he makes his rounds to all the bowls and makes sure nothing was missed.   

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 07:33:45 PM »
i used to be friends with all the horses back in the day at the UMCP stables..

highway my best friend..actually my first friend in the US once tried to take a flat eared nibble out of my shirt...

IMMEDIATELY..i punched him right below his jaw..not to hard but enough to hurt..

this ws when we first met...highway ws noble..

you has to ask..not tell him what to do...

for you dog lovers..the comparision would be..an eccentric pitbull with a heart of gold..but weighs a ton.. 8)

* to to non horsey people..a horses ears go flat on its head..stay away unless ya know it..or ya know your way around horses..a horse can fell a brick wall with a single kick....

with its ears flat on its head..its either getting read to bite..or kick..in the very least..its annoyed at ya...

PS never sneak up EVER on a horse..walk like ya mean it..
anfd they dont like colongue or perfum either..your smell will do just fine
carpe` vaginum!

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 04:03:16 AM »
My girl and i ones stopped by a horse standing in his territory in a field somewhere. when we got out of the car and approached him standing at the gate he seemed to like us so whe got closer to the horsey.
When we tryed to pet it he started making funny noises with his lips and put his ears flat in his neck.
My girl looked at me like : is he mad at us?
I couldn't help my self but laugh at the situation and the horse got really pissed that i was laughing at him so he turned around and started kicking like crazy.... ;D I laughed even harder while running to our car which we parked very close to the gate! When we started to drive away still laughing from what just happened the horse kicked a dent in the side of my car!... :-\
I stopped laughing after that... >:(
?

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 01:39:19 PM »
There is a HUGE problem if your dog will not let you take food away from it.  It is showing you that it is the dominate one and that can not happen, unless you like or are to weak to not let your dog walk all over you.  You must establish this dominance cause then where will it end.....with the dog biting you on the forehead?  There is no way that should be happening at all under any circumstances.

What if a child goes near it while eating and gets mauled, seek help if you can not fix this yourself.  If the dog does that correct it first if that does not work roll the dog into submissive and dominate it right there, do NOT let the dog win this fight.  Take the food and let it go hungry that day....it will not die, then try again the next day.

The dog must learn that lesson, the olny time a dog should fight back is if it fears for its life like being beaten in the corner from some asshole.  the first guy said your friend mistreats his dog?  Then the f*cker should get bit, but taking away the food is not mistreatment.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 02:42:46 PM »
Scout is SOOOOO mellow, nothing phases him.  He never barks, growls, whines.  He's not "submissive", but not aggressive/assertive either.  Waits to go out of a door or jump into the car, doesn't inhale his food, doesn't beg, usually chooses his own toys to chew on ;)  I got really lucky with my little "mutt". ;D ;D ;D
:

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 02:45:49 PM »
There is a HUGE problem if your dog will not let you take food away from it.  It is showing you that it is the dominate one and that can not happen, unless you like or are to weak to not let your dog walk all over you.  You must establish this dominance cause then where will it end.....with the dog biting you on the forehead?  There is no way that should be happening at all under any circumstances.

What if a child goes near it while eating and gets mauled, seek help if you can not fix this yourself.  If the dog does that correct it first if that does not work roll the dog into submissive and dominate it right there, do NOT let the dog win this fight.  Take the food and let it go hungry that day....it will not die, then try again the next day.

The dog must learn that lesson, the olny time a dog should fight back is if it fears for its life like being beaten in the corner from some asshole.  the first guy said your friend mistreats his dog?  Then the f*cker should get bit, but taking away the food is not mistreatment.

Flower, take note. ;)

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 03:13:07 PM »
Flower, take note. ;)

-Hedge

I can get her to drop the food, but I really don't feel like sticking my hand in her face.  I tell her to fucking drop it, and she does.  No one gets hurt.  I have gotten her to show me her belly after she drops it, which is a sign of submission, we have an understanding now which works, and I don't have to risk getting bit or having to then beat her ass. 

And kids must learn not to go up to dogs when they are eating or just up to any dog.  People must not let there dogs just go up to other dogs because "their dog is so friendly"  I posted a link to some good articles one which was called "He only wants to say hi".  Dogs have a personal space issue.  Most dogs will give plenty of warning before they fight back.  A growl, they will move away, then they will correct you or the child.    In some cases of dog "bites" the person or other dog may have had it coming.   Warnings may have been given and ignored.   

Someone wants to go stick their hand in a strange dogs face while it's eating, it won't be the dogs fault if it "corrects" them.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 03:23:41 PM »

To be honest, this is one of the first posts I've seen here where there seems like it's a dog owner who genuinely loves the animal, and knows his stuff.

And of course some of the posts on the pitbull thread.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 04:44:52 PM »
My girl and i ones stopped by a horse standing in his territory in a field somewhere. when we got out of the car and approached him standing at the gate he seemed to like us so whe got closer to the horsey.
When we tryed to pet it he started making funny noises with his lips and put his ears flat in his neck.
My girl looked at me like : is he mad at us?
I couldn't help my self but laugh at the situation and the horse got really pissed that i was laughing at him so he turned around and started kicking like crazy.... ;D I laughed even harder while running to our car which we parked very close to the gate! When we started to drive away still laughing from what just happened the horse kicked a dent in the side of my car!... :-\
I stopped laughing after that... >:(

its hard to just walk up and make friends with a dominant male..ya should kinda approached from the side..not head on...did ya leave the car running..?

ya never know what will spook a jittery horse..a horse once tried to run off with me on its back cause a newspaper blew past its legs..i fixed that shit real quick..
carpe` vaginum!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 04:45:53 PM »
I grew up with labs.....and let me tell you something.....even a lab will growl, show teeth, & snap.

My dog did that to me "once"...her bowl was taken away.  I made her lay there at my feet & not move.  She felt really bad & I could tell she didn't mean to.  I gave her the bowl back but made her sit there & stare at it until "I" said she could eat.  I then put my hand on top of her head & her tail wagged.  She stopped for a second, lifted her head, I petted her & told her to "go ahead" & resume.

One thing that made it tough was there were 3-4 other dogs in the house.  I know why what she did...but it couldn't have been allowed.  She was an adult at the time & I had never thought about trying to remove her bowl until that point.  I will say...she never did that again.  Hell, I would test her every couple weeks & she would let me remove her bowl, even take a side step.

Another thing, kids need to be taught on how to interact with dogs.  It's the parents responsibility to first teach their kids what is ok & what's not ok.  It can be confusing for a dog to understand what is happening.  Remember, they are pack animals when it comes to food.

The dog we have now amazes me, but we still keep a close eye on him.  My g/f's brother has kids.  They are very small kids but like the dog & want to pet him.  He listens to us very well & is rewarded by being called a "good boy" when he sits there & plays with the kids.  He moves very slow & is not rough at all.  When I play tug with him....he'll yank on the rope super hard.  When they had it, he just stood there & applied a small resistance like he was trying to walk backwards.  Dogs know better & are very smart.  They need to be worked with just like the kids to understand what is ok & what is not.....& REWARDED everytime they are good.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 04:48:16 PM »
   I can get her to drop the food, but I really don't feel like sticking my hand in her face.  I tell her to fucking drop it, and she does.  No one gets hurt.  I have gotten her to show me her belly after she drops it, which is a sign of submission, we have an understanding now which works, and I don't have to risk getting bit or having to then beat her ass. 

And kids must learn not to go up to dogs when they are eating or just up to any dog.  People must not let there dogs just go up to other dogs because "their dog is so friendly"  I posted a link to some good articles one which was called "He only wants to say hi".  Dogs have a personal space issue.  Most dogs will give plenty of warning before they fight back.  A growl, they will move away, then they will correct you or the child.    In some cases of dog "bites" the person or other dog may have had it coming.   Warnings may have been given and ignored.   

Someone wants to go stick their hand in a strange dogs face while it's eating, it won't be the dogs fault if it "corrects" them.

This is absolutley the worst bunch of crap I have ever read. PLEASE anyone who reads this PLEASE ingnore this ignorance.  Dogs do not correct people....are you freeking whacked?....cant believe you mod this board.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 05:51:51 PM »
I grew up with labs.....and let me tell you something.....even a lab will growl, show teeth, & snap.

My dog did that to me "once"...her bowl was taken away.  I made her lay there at my feet & not move.  She felt really bad & I could tell she didn't mean to.  I gave her the bowl back but made her sit there & stare at it until "I" said she could eat.  I then put my hand on top of her head & her tail wagged.  She stopped for a second, lifted her head, I petted her & told her to "go ahead" & resume.

wow..i guess i could nevr own a dog..esp a female one..

the house i'm at had a pure bread alsatian (i REFUSE to call em german sheps >:() and its the devils spawn..shoulda been a work dog..anyhow..i just fed him a whole filet minon..

they tell me i got sucker written on my forehead.. :(
carpe` vaginum!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2007, 07:39:12 PM »
i just fed him a whole filet minon..

Why?  Did you over-cook it? ;)
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2007, 07:54:59 PM »
When I was in 4th grade, I used to stop by an old couples house to pet "Missy", a collie - just like Lassie  ::)  One winter day on my way home from school I stopped and she had a bone or something.  As I stooped down to get at her level, she ATTACKED my face.  Ripped thru my upper lip and just under one eye.  I ran home, blood everywhere, which looked even worse than it was all over my white (faux) fur collar and scarf.  Freaked my mom out, who rushed me to the hospital.  She insisted on a plastic surgeon who must've done a pretty good job, because there's really no visible scars.

Back then, no questions asked, the animal was usually put down.  I remember begging and pleading that not happen and my father gave in and did not "press charges".  The old couple still wouldn't let me in their yard after that... >:(
:

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2007, 07:56:35 PM »

Why?  Did you over-cook it? ;)

no..i had actually bought an extra one from max...  :-[

when her family asked...i just pretended i made a mistake...its my maxiepad..  :)

fucker takes a nip out of my thigh now n then ..esp when he wants to poop and comes asks/bites me.....he's about the most agressive dog i've known..and THATS AFTER he's been properly socialized and trained..but god forbid he ws around and someone dog or otherwise ws agressive towards me while maxie ws around...

lets put it this way...my brother ws dropping me off at my friends once (car in the garage) and ws yelling atme while leaving...kinda being an ass...max jumped the fence..and went for the car...

i know i know..what kenneth would say BUT..i've been around dogs for a long time..as i said before..max is the devlis spawn...once in a while ya get a combo of genes that..juuust..well..is gonna be mean as a witches ####..no matter what...
he draws a drop of blood once in a while...but he'll also come lay on my feet..as long as i dont touch his head lol..then he'll eat my hand  :-\
carpe` vaginum!

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2007, 04:25:19 AM »
This is absolutley the worst bunch of crap I have ever read. PLEASE anyone who reads this PLEASE ingnore this ignorance.  Dogs do not correct people....are you freeking whacked?....cant believe you mod this board.

You don't think dogs have their own signals?  If you go over to a dog and it moves away what is it saying?  It does not want you near it.  So if you proceed to it anyways and pet it and it growls, now what is it saying?  "I told you I do not want you in my space, back off."  If you then decide to hug the growling dog and it snaps at you it is then telling you that maybe you should of listened to what it was saying.

Dogs will correct and teach other dogs, and they will with people too. If a person ignores the language and barrels ahead anyways then it is not good for the dog or the person.  Some dogs are more tolerant than others, some dogs need to be taught to be more tolerant.  But a dog is still a dog, and they don't speak human, they speak dog. 

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2007, 04:57:21 AM »
You don't think dogs have their own signals?  If you go over to a dog and it moves away what is it saying?  It does not want you near it.  So if you proceed to it anyways and pet it and it growls, now what is it saying?  I told you I do not want you in my space, back off.  If you then decide to hug the growling dog it is then telling you that maybe you should of listened to what it was saying.

Dogs will correct and teach other dogs, and they will with people too. If a person ignores the language and barrels ahead anyways then it is not good for the dog or the person.

Well of course this happens, that does not mean its right.  A healthy, well adjusted dog will not do this to humans ever, unless like I said it earlier it is being truely mistreated.  Owners who let their dogs get away with this behavior towards people are asking for trouble and are irresponsible, or are in denial about the monster they have created.

Dogs love to be treated as dogs.  They need a leader to feel secure, like in a pack.  That leader needs to be you!  If not this leads to all kinds of behavioral problems and anxiety.  The love to follow and have a job to do. 

Here are some tips on maintaining your status with your dogs:

Always feed your dog AFTER you eat first.
Test dog by taking food or toys away from it.
Never let your dog on your bed
Walk the dog in a healed state most of the time.
Do not let your dog get on top of you
Remain calm and in control while correcting your dog.
maintain a confident posture while working with or being around your dog
do not leave the food bowl down for more than a short while.
Do not let your dog get pushy with you or let it lay where ever it wants
socialize your dog regulary with other dogs, not just the ones you have.
be consistant in your actions
When you come home to the dog walk right past it with minimal acknowledgement from you, maybe a hi, take care of your immediate bussiness then when the dog is calm give it some attention.

Just a few there are more, but this is what a dog needs to be happy, otherwise they become confussed about their place and the problems start.  This is true love like Hedge said. You have to be the boss and a good parent and sometimes it might seem to some that it is mean, but it is not.  The opposite is

I will say this again, The dogs do not make the rules or do what ever they want.  At least in my world they dont.