Author Topic: If your only goal is fat loss, why bother lifting weights?  (Read 1557 times)

rick brophy

• Getbig II
If your only goal is fat loss, why bother lifting weights?
« on: November 17, 2007, 12:54:09 AM »
I'm currently around 230 pounds, and my ONLY goal is to get down to about 210, at which point my bodyfat will be around 11 percent ( I think ). I have been trying to accheive this by dieting and doing cardio a couple of times a week. I also do a pretty typical bodybuilder workout plan each week ( ie; chest monday, legs tuesday, arms wednesday, thursday off, back friday and shoulders saturday ) with probably 3-5 exercises and 12-20 sets per bodypart. i enjoy lifting and it's a good cardio workout so I know it's definitely not hurting my weightloss, but it seems like it's kind of pointless to lift in a bodybuilding style while on a calorie deficit. I'm not going to grow, so while I get great pumps and feel good from it, it's not accomplishing anything right? would I be better off doing some sort of intense cardio 4 or 5 days a week instead of lifting like I have been?

honest question, any responses would be helpful.

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
Re: If your only goal is fat loss, why bother lifting weights?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 01:12:04 AM »
If you dont lift weights while dieting you lose a high portion of muscle.
You end up looking just like a smaller but just as jiggly version of your self

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 01:36:12 AM »
I kinda understand where your coming from, but i guess the main reason is to maintain as much muscle as possible. Doing a lot of cardio, particularly very intense cardio without lifting weights, would result in more muscle being burnt off.
No doubt about it...

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 08:31:36 AM »
You burn more fat at rest if you carry more muscle.....ie.,a faster metabolic rate.

Excess fat also increases estrogen levels,whereas more muscle = higher testosterone levels.

rick brophy

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 10:31:14 AM »
You burn more fat at rest if you carry more muscle.....ie.,a faster metabolic rate.

Excess fat also increases estrogen levels,whereas more muscle = higher testosterone levels.

Yeah, but since I'm in a calorie deficit I'm not going to put on any muscle while dieting. Lifting will probably help me to maintain muscle mass while dieting, but it seems like it'd make more sense to do something active that is more geared towards fat loss since I'm not really concerned with being super muscular at this point anyway, I just want to get my body fat down significantly.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 11:13:58 AM »
Yeah, but since I'm in a calorie deficit I'm not going to put on any muscle while dieting. Lifting will probably help me to maintain muscle mass while dieting, but it seems like it'd make more sense to do something active that is more geared towards fat loss since I'm not really concerned with being super muscular at this point anyway, I just want to get my body fat down significantly.
The simple fact is the more muscle you have the higher your metabolism...If your looking for more of a cardio workout with your weights you could always do supersets or giant sets to help keep your heart rate up while lifting also just giving yourself less time between sets helps with that and gives you a good pump as well, but i would definitly recommend that you continue to lift while dieting, youll get to your goals faster if your diet and cardio are good

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 10:56:22 AM »
dieting ain't enough! you diet but you will lose muscle mass too! ya gotta lift as well!

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 06:51:13 PM »
lifting weights cues the body to build up your muscles. its very hard to build up your muscles while losing bodyfat; BUT, by signaling your body to do so, you can make it work in that direction; thus preventing the muscular losses that accompany fat losses during a diet that doesnt include weight training. also, lifting weights increases basal calorie expenditure during and after lifting, increases test levels, increases gh levels, increases protien synthesis, gives your next 80 grams of carbohydrate intake a sink to fall into(glycogen restoration) and increases energy levels.

lift weights!

dovidov

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 06:18:59 PM »
If you dont lift weights while dieting you lose a high portion of muscle.
You end up looking just like a smaller but just as jiggly version of your self
a skinny fat person...like Jared from Subway..there's a reason we've never seen him in a bathing suit...something to think about

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 10:22:09 PM »
I'm currently around 230 pounds, and my ONLY goal is to get down to about 210, at which point my bodyfat will be around 11 percent ( I think ). I have been trying to accheive this by dieting and doing cardio a couple of times a week. I also do a pretty typical bodybuilder workout plan each week ( ie; chest monday, legs tuesday, arms wednesday, thursday off, back friday and shoulders saturday ) with probably 3-5 exercises and 12-20 sets per bodypart. i enjoy lifting and it's a good cardio workout so I know it's definitely not hurting my weightloss, but it seems like it's kind of pointless to lift in a bodybuilding style while on a calorie deficit. I'm not going to grow, so while I get great pumps and feel good from it, it's not accomplishing anything right? would I be better off doing some sort of intense cardio 4 or 5 days a week instead of lifting like I have been?

honest question, any responses would be helpful.

Weight training is the most commonly overlooked component to fat loss, especially among females. It is a very important component in achieving your fitness goal, whether you are male or female. Weight training will create a need for the body to preserve or increase lean muscle tissue.  This is important because calories and fat are burned by muscle tissue.  So if you lose muscle while dieting, you won’t be able to burn as much fat. Therefore, the more muscle you keep or gain (depending on your goal), the more calories and fat you can burn.  Training with weights burns a tremendous amount of calories and can increase your resting metabolic rate (the amount of calories you burn while at rest).  Weight training actually has a greater effect on your metabolism than cardiovascular exercise.

Sorry for not getting too scientific. I though you might just want a summary of WHY you need to do it. Hope this helps.

dovidov

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 02:34:40 AM »
Weight training is the most commonly overlooked component to fat loss, especially among females. It is a very important component in achieving your fitness goal, whether you are male or female. Weight training will create a need for the body to preserve or increase lean muscle tissue.  This is important because calories and fat are burned by muscle tissue.  So if you lose muscle while dieting, you won’t be able to burn as much fat. Therefore, the more muscle you keep or gain (depending on your goal), the more calories and fat you can burn.  Training with weights burns a tremendous amount of calories and can increase your resting metabolic rate (the amount of calories you burn while at rest).  Weight training actually has a greater effect on your metabolism than cardiovascular exercise.

Sorry for not getting too scientific. I though you might just want a summary of WHY you need to do it. Hope this helps.
I second everything said here

D-bol

• Getbig IV
  • Its only hard if you make it hard.
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 08:22:43 AM »
one actually looses more muscle than fat when going on limited calories with no exercise...
bottom line - exercise would help preserve good portion of muscle, while no exercise at all will mek you slimmer but you will loose muscle mass too

rick brophy

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 11:44:30 PM »

I gotcha, I love lifting weights so I'm not planning on stopping I was just curious. Thanks!

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 10:00:07 PM »

I think that's a myth

I burn fat at the same rate as I did 5 years ago and I have more muscle now

i think my test levels are the same

also I would think it would be impossible for pros to get fat if that were true

E
E