Author Topic: Hemingway: Worst Pick Up Artist Ever.  (Read 6394 times)

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
Re: Hemingway: Worst Pick Up Artist Ever.
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 03:37:43 AM »
how old are you leafy?
he is a barely legal freak  ;D

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 04:26:23 AM »
A Wrinkle in Time was a great book so was Z for Zachariah
x2 

Read the first two Harry Potter books. The writing is mediocre, but her choice of names is clever. Philip Pullman writes circles around Rowling but gets a fraction of her readership. Ah, well.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 04:35:01 AM »
he is a barely legal freak  ;D
Sev maybe cephissus (isn't that an STD) likes them young dumb and full of his cum  ;D

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 04:47:33 AM »
A Call to Arms was fucking garbage.

Try The Sun Also Sets or An Immovable Beast.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 05:36:39 AM »
x2 

Read the first two Harry Potter books. The writing is mediocre, but her choice of names is clever. Philip Pullman writes circles around Rowling but gets a fraction of her readership. Ah, well.
Are your saying that Mrs. Frisby is in actuality, smarter than one of the Rats from Nihm?

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I read at least a dozen primary sources a day
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2011, 05:51:05 AM »
I've seen the same thing but they were reading Jack Kerouac's On the Road.  Nothing against the book but to many suburban kids think that reading On the Road makes them rebellious. 

This is the bad thing about a Kindle, nobody can tell what book you are reading + be impressed.

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2011, 01:42:03 PM »
Most of my readings are nonfiction unfortunately but i can recollect a few books that i read that i enjoyed. I thought The Giver was a good book. I enjoyed The Hobbit but couldn't bring myself to read the Lord of the Rings series. I will get flamed for this but think The Harry Potter series was excellent but i started reading those when i was 12. A Wrinkle in Time, Z for Zacharia, etc.. etc. These aren't really what you would consider classics though and i am sure i will be flamed for them.

Nah, I won't flame you for that.  If anything, I felt kind of bad about saying you had shit literary tastes.  I know, Getbig and all :), but I usually don't play that way. 

Besides, A Wrinkle In Time is a classic.  And hell, for what they are, the Potter books are very good. 

I figure you'd enjoy Hemingway more if you had a good teacher.  If some tired old hag of a bored 11th grade English teacher forced you to read The Old Man and the Sea, it's little doubt you've a curious take on Papa.  Try some of his short stories.  I think that's the hardest-hitting shit.  Some of it will seem trivial at first, but someone as smart as you will probably pick up on how the man could convey such rich detail and information with relatively few words.

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2011, 02:11:19 PM »
Nah, I won't flame you for that.  If anything, I felt kind of bad about saying you had shit literary tastes.  I know, Getbig and all :), but I usually don't play that way. 

Besides, A Wrinkle In Time is a classic.  And hell, for what they are, the Potter books are very good. 

I figure you'd enjoy Hemingway more if you had a good teacher.  If some tired old hag of a bored 11th grade English teacher forced you to read The Old Man and the Sea, it's little doubt you've a curious take on Papa.  Try some of his short stories.  I think that's the hardest-hitting shit.  Some of it will seem trivial at first, but someone as smart as you will probably pick up on how the man could convey such rich detail and information with relatively few words.
Hemingway is good with imagery i will give him that. If i can't get sucked into a book though it usually isn't worth reading. I tried to read Al Gores Assault on Raisins and couldn't finish it. He wasn't really giving me anything to earth shattering there. Mein Kampf was more entertaining to me then Hemingway and that turns into a bunch of ramblings.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2011, 08:43:22 PM »
  People who claim Hemingway was a shitty writer are probably tabloid and sports pages readers. Hemingway is the only American author on the level of Dostoevsky, Shakespeare and Homer. All other American writers and novelists, like Faulkner, are only the best in America. Hemingway is the greatest American writer ever.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
  • I need an English dictionary!
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2011, 08:14:42 AM »
 People who claim Hemingway was a shitty writer are probably tabloid and sports pages readers. Hemingway is the only American author on the level of Dostoevsky, Shakespeare and Homer. All other American writers and novelists, like Faulkner, are only the best in America. Hemingway is the greatest American writer ever.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

...finally someone who actually read some books...
North of Italy

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2011, 11:26:24 AM »

SUCKMYMUSCLE

I haven't read everything that either dude penned but H & D are apples & oranges, nevermind S & H.  Historical context, etc.

What about Elliot?  I just wikipediaed him and he looks mucho significante.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I read at least a dozen primary sources a day
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2011, 12:16:22 PM »
Dostoevsky was a rather mediocre writer who produced wastelands of literary platitudes.