Author Topic: Presidential Candidates 2016: 10 Democrats Who Might Be the Next Nominee  (Read 111419 times)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
If Bernie Sanders can win Iowa and New Hampshire then things suddenly begin to get a little interesting.

Hillary would still pull it off...but that aura of invincibility would be gone

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Hillary would still pull it off...but that aura of invincibility would be gone

It's already gone.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Biden Weighs Family's Needs As Support Builds for '16 Run

Image: Biden Weighs Family's Needs As Support Builds for '16 Run (Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images)
By Melissa Clyne
Monday, 29 Jun 2015

As Vice President Joe Biden continues to grieve the loss of his eldest son, speculation mounts as to whether he will seek the Democratic nomination for the presidency in 2016, a move both of his sons reportedly encouraged.

"It’s no secret that Beau wanted him to run," Dick Harpootlian, former chairman of the South Carolina Democratic Party, told The Wall Street Journal. "If he does what Beau wanted him to do, he’ll run."

While Biden’s younger son, Hunter, didn’t respond to a request for comment from the newspaper, South Carolina state Rep. James Smith told the Journal that he has spoken with the younger Biden in the past two weeks and he "reiterated that he wanted his father to jump in the race ... He feels strongly about his dad running and serving."

The 72-year-old vice president — who ran for the White House in both 1998 and 2008 — had already been non-committal about his intentions when on May 30 Beau Biden, a former Delaware attorney general, succumbed to brain cancer.

Beau is the second child Biden last lost to tragedy. In 1972, his first wife, Neilia, and the couple's 13-month-old daughter, Naomi, were killed in a car accident that also seriously injured Biden’s two sons.

The career politician is faring better in polls than in the past. A recent Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll found that 40 percent of Americans viewed him favorably, compared with 31 percent who held unfavorable views. That’s a five-point jump since November, when his favorability rating was at 35 percent.

Biden is expected to announce his intentions by August, according to USA Today, which reports that a Draft Biden campaign has been launched by former staffers and campaign veterans in Iowa and New Hampshire. A petition urging Biden to run has been signed by some 100,000, according to the newspaper.

Although gaffe-prone, Biden is also seen as the best alternative to former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, the Democratic front-runner and presumed nominee, according to U.S. News & World Report.

Former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley is a "happy warrior" but a "welterweight," according to U.S. News, while progressive Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s appeal among socially conservative Hispanics and blue-collar whites is "questionable."

Biden’s strengths include his everyman persona, strong union support, and the "behind-the-scenes backing of President Barack Obama and his top aides."

"It is they, some say, who made sure the world knew about Clinton’s email account," U.S. News reports, referencing revelations that Clinton exclusively used a private email account and server housed at her New York home to conduct government business. "It is they, it is rumored, who signaled to The New York Times and other liberal media that Clinton is now fair game. Room needs to be made for someone else, someone closer to the president and loyal to his agenda."

Harpootlian said Biden has indicated to him that the decision is about his family.

"It's all about his personal situation — 'Can I do this and not in any way deny my family what I can give them or do for them?'" he told USA Today.

"No one would blame him if he said, 'You know, look, it's just too much,'" said Harpootlian, adding that Biden is a "tough guy" who "fights his way through tough times."

For now, Biden is staying out of the fray, "getting briefed, coached and prepared for the moment when Clinton’s candidacy falls to earth," according to U.S. News. "At that point, Biden will come in as a white knight, without the scuffmarks of a long primary."

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/joe-biden-democrats-hillary-clinton-2016/2015/06/29/id/652636/#ixzz3eURNkBw7

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Biden definitely has my vote if he runs......he has a much better resume than Clinton

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
He would certainly provide comic relief. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Biden definitely has my vote if he runs......he has a much better resume than Clinton

correct.  probably more experience than any repub up there too?

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
He would certainly provide comic relief. 

certainly cant provide more comic relief than the Republicans..Trump has already started things off...hard for Biden to top that :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
certainly cant provide more comic relief than the Republicans..Trump has already started things off...hard for Biden to top that :D

Trump is the only person providing comic relief on the Republican side, but he's not a serious candidate.  He's not going to be the nominee.  He's going to provide fodder for MSNBC and liberals everywhere. 

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Trump is the only person providing comic relief on the Republican side, but he's not a serious candidate.  He's not going to be the nominee.  He's going to provide fodder for MSNBC and liberals everywhere. 

According to FOX he's a serious candidate....polling right up there with Jeb and qualifies for FOX's debate

240 is Back

• Getbig V
According to FOX he's a serious candidate....polling right up there with Jeb and qualifies for FOX's debate

quite a few polls have him tied at the top now.  michigan has him at 14% to walker at 15%.  Trump is going to grab the obama-hating racist fcks that don't really know the issues, but know they hate them some democrats.  Maybe 15 to 20% of repubs (just like libs are the same way for teh bottom fifth).

The credible candidates will split the remaining votes, with way less $ and media attention.  Let's face it, Cruz can give an amazing speech tomorrow and fox MIGHT pick up on it.  Trump can wink at a waitress and it'll be front page NY Times and every other newspaper.  Trump has a massive advantage here.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
quite a few polls have him tied at the top now.  michigan has him at 14% to walker at 15%.  Trump is going to grab the obama-hating racist fcks that don't really know the issues, but know they hate them some democrats.  Maybe 15 to 20% of repubs (just like libs are the same way for teh bottom fifth).

The credible candidates will split the remaining votes, with way less $ and media attention.  Let's face it, Cruz can give an amazing speech tomorrow and fox MIGHT pick up on it.  Trump can wink at a waitress and it'll be front page NY Times and every other newspaper.  Trump has a massive advantage here.

point well taken

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

According to the words that come out of his mouth, his lack of self control, temperament, position on numerous issues, repeated shifting of policy views, etc., he is not and never will be a serious candidate.  Going nowhere. 

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
According to the words that come out of his mouth, his lack of self control, temperament, position on numerous issues, repeated shifting of policy views, etc., he is not and never will be a serious candidate.  Going nowhere. 

some would say the same about Sanders as well....going nowhere.....yet polling high too

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
some would say the same about Sanders as well....going nowhere.....yet polling high too

I agree, except Sanders at least is already a politician.  Trump is just trying to make money IMO.

240 is Back

• Getbig V

the great thing about the RINO/Repubs dissing trump with quotes like this...

If he wins the nomination, and yes, in 2015, any troll idiot like Trump can win the nomination, Repubs will be kneepadding him, telling us how he's better for USA than Hilary.

Seriously, if Jon Stewart announced on his last night on the Daily Show (a few weeks from now) that he's running for President... i think we can ALL agree he'd be neck and neck with hilary in the polls within 2 weeks.  Just like Trump has done with Jeb.  The only diff is that Stewart is a tad more intelligent than Trump (even if you dislike his views, you have to admit he's articulate).

So yes, trump can win and hilary could be beaten too.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Elizabeth Warren: 'I Love What Bernie is Talking About'
By Jason Devaney
Tuesday, 30 Jun 2015

Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren likes what she sees in fellow Democrat and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, who is running for president.

"I love what Bernie is talking about. I think all the presidential candidates should be out talking about the big issues," Warren told the Boston Herald.

Warren would not commit to endorsing Sanders or campaigning with him in the future. In fact, Warren has yet to endorse anyone in the small field of Democrats ahead of next year's primary.

Warren is, however, impressed with Sanders' approach to the campaign thus far.

"Bernie's out talking about the issues that the American people want to hear about," Warren told the Herald.

When asked if she thinks Sanders can win the nomination and earn a spot on the presidential ballot, Warren avoided the question.

"Bernie is there on the issues. That's what matters to a lot of people," she said.

Warren turned down several calls to join the presidential race, including one from a super PAC set up in hopes she would run.

Warren took office in 2013 and is seen by many in the Democratic Party as a rising star.

Conservatives, however, discount her for her lack of political experience and her liberal views. Others think Warren could pull Hillary Clinton further to the left during the presidential campaign, which might end up helping the GOP win the presidential election.

"You've got the energy of the Elizabeth Warren faction kind of driving the agenda, pulling Hillary Clinton further to the left, which, by the way, I think is useful for us in the general election next year," Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said in May.

Regardless, Warren supporters, including the Ready for Warren super PAC, are beginning to back Sanders' White House bid, USA Today reported last week.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Elizabeth-Warren-Bernie-Sanders/2015/06/30/id/652928/#ixzz3eezn5R36

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Efforts to Draft Biden for 2016 Gain Steam

By Andrew Desiderio
June 29, 2015

While Hillary Clinton is viewed by many as a political powerhouse who will cruise to the Democratic presidential nomination, there may be room for a familiar face to challenge her: Joe Biden.

The newest indication that the vice president could jump into the race comes from a Wall Street Journal report, which cites friends and advisers who say Biden, 72, received encouragement to do so from sons Beau and Hunter. Beau Biden died last month after a long battle with brain cancer.

Hillary Clinton, who served as secretary of state during President Obama’s first term and worked closely with Biden, is the overwhelming frontrunner to become her party’s standard-bearer, but many Democratic insiders say Biden could present a formidable challenge should her campaign falter.

“He feels strongly about his dad running and serving,” James Smith, a Democratic state representative in South Carolina, told the Journal of Hunter Biden’s sentiments. Dick Harpootlian, former chairman of the state’s Democratic Party, added: “If he does what Beau wanted him to do, he’ll run.”

Thousands of others have also signaled their support for a White House bid by the vice president. Draft Biden 2016, a super PAC that is laying the groundwork for a potential campaign in early voting states, has gathered more than 90,000 signatures to support that effort.

“We think it’s great,” Executive Director William Pierce said of the Journal report in an interview with RealClearPolitics. “We’re excited to see more and more people closer to the vice president urging him to run.”

Some question his viability in a race that is already dominated by the juggernaut Clinton campaign. According to the RealClearPolitics polling average, Biden is in second place in the Democratic race with 12.8 percent support, behind by more than 50 percentage points.

But Pierce says Biden’s numbers are actually encouraging, noting that he’s polling ahead of declared candidates Bernie Sanders and Martin O’Malley without having even formed an exploratory committee.

“It’s still very early, but it’s a game-changer if the vice president enters the race,” said Pierce, a veteran of Obama for America.

A similar campaign to draft Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren fell flat when the progressive warrior said once and for all she would not seek the Oval Office in 2016. Many of her supporters, however, have flocked to Sanders, who champions a similar message of economic populism.

Asked to make the case for Biden over Hillary Clinton, Pierce zeroed in on experience. Biden served as a senator from Delaware for 36 years, chairing influential committees including Foreign Affairs and Judiciary. In addition to his long tenure in the upper chamber, Pierce said, Biden has been President Obama’s point man for negotiations on Capitol Hill, adding that the vice president’s efforts in brokering a budget compromise “averted a government shutdown” in 2011.

Pierce avoided speculation when asked if he thinks fulfilling Beau Biden’s wish would serve motivation for the vice president to run, but said he “could view that as encouragement” on Biden’s part.

Pierce, an Iraq War veteran, recalled the vice president’s suggestion in 2006 that Iraq be split into “three largely autonomous regions” consisting of Kurds, Sunnis, and Shi’ites – “with a viable central government in Baghdad.” It is something that struck Pierce personally, though many wrote off such a proposal at the time. But now that ISIS continues to advance in the region and such sectarian divisions are already apparent, “even Republicans are saying we should’ve done that,” Pierce said.

Biden, who unsuccessfully sought the Oval Office in 1988 and 2008, has left the door open for a 2016 campaign in recent years.

“I can die a happy man never having been president of the United States of America,” Biden said in a 2013 GQ profile. “But it doesn’t mean I won’t run.”

He continued: “The judgment I’ll make is, first of all, am I still as full of as much energy as I have now – do I feel this? … Number two, do I think I’m the best person in the position to move the ball? And, you know, we’ll see where the hell I am.”

Asked by CNN in February 2014 to name a reason he shouldn’t run, Biden said there are “no obvious reason[s.” More recently, he told ABC News “there is a chance” he will challenge Clinton, adding that the race is “wide open” on both the Democratic and Republican sides.

The next month will be crucial for the advocacy group’s field organizing, as Biden is expected to make a decision on whether to run by early August. Draft Biden announced on Monday that it is expanding its efforts in key primary states, hiring experienced politicos as state directors in New Hampshire and Iowa.

“Our team has come a long way since our humble beginnings of two people in my living room back in March,” Pierce said in a statement. “With positive momentum all across the board, we are going all in to encourage the Vice President to run for President ahead of his potential August 1st announcement.”

A Clinton campaign spokesman did not return a request to comment on the possibility of the vice president jumping into the contest.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2015/06/29/efforts_to_draft_biden_for_2016_gain_steam_127175.html

andreisdaman

• Getbig V

are you talking about TRUMP or FOX NEWS??????????????????........this is why they are so good for each other

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Efforts to Draft Biden for 2016 Gain Steam

By Andrew Desiderio
June 29, 2015

While Hillary Clinton is viewed by many as a political powerhouse who will cruise to the Democratic presidential nomination, there may be room for a familiar face to challenge her: Joe Biden.

The newest indication that the vice president could jump into the race comes from a Wall Street Journal report, which cites friends and advisers who say Biden, 72, received encouragement to do so from sons Beau and Hunter. Beau Biden died last month after a long battle with brain cancer.

Hillary Clinton, who served as secretary of state during President Obama’s first term and worked closely with Biden, is the overwhelming frontrunner to become her party’s standard-bearer, but many Democratic insiders say Biden could present a formidable challenge should her campaign falter.

“He feels strongly about his dad running and serving,” James Smith, a Democratic state representative in South Carolina, told the Journal of Hunter Biden’s sentiments. Dick Harpootlian, former chairman of the state’s Democratic Party, added: “If he does what Beau wanted him to do, he’ll run.”

Thousands of others have also signaled their support for a White House bid by the vice president. Draft Biden 2016, a super PAC that is laying the groundwork for a potential campaign in early voting states, has gathered more than 90,000 signatures to support that effort.

“We think it’s great,” Executive Director William Pierce said of the Journal report in an interview with RealClearPolitics. “We’re excited to see more and more people closer to the vice president urging him to run.”

Some question his viability in a race that is already dominated by the juggernaut Clinton campaign. According to the RealClearPolitics polling average, Biden is in second place in the Democratic race with 12.8 percent support, behind by more than 50 percentage points.

But Pierce says Biden’s numbers are actually encouraging, noting that he’s polling ahead of declared candidates Bernie Sanders and Martin O’Malley without having even formed an exploratory committee.

“It’s still very early, but it’s a game-changer if the vice president enters the race,” said Pierce, a veteran of Obama for America.

A similar campaign to draft Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren fell flat when the progressive warrior said once and for all she would not seek the Oval Office in 2016. Many of her supporters, however, have flocked to Sanders, who champions a similar message of economic populism.

Asked to make the case for Biden over Hillary Clinton, Pierce zeroed in on experience. Biden served as a senator from Delaware for 36 years, chairing influential committees including Foreign Affairs and Judiciary. In addition to his long tenure in the upper chamber, Pierce said, Biden has been President Obama’s point man for negotiations on Capitol Hill, adding that the vice president’s efforts in brokering a budget compromise “averted a government shutdown” in 2011.

Pierce avoided speculation when asked if he thinks fulfilling Beau Biden’s wish would serve motivation for the vice president to run, but said he “could view that as encouragement” on Biden’s part.

Pierce, an Iraq War veteran, recalled the vice president’s suggestion in 2006 that Iraq be split into “three largely autonomous regions” consisting of Kurds, Sunnis, and Shi’ites – “with a viable central government in Baghdad.” It is something that struck Pierce personally, though many wrote off such a proposal at the time. But now that ISIS continues to advance in the region and such sectarian divisions are already apparent, “even Republicans are saying we should’ve done that,” Pierce said.

Biden, who unsuccessfully sought the Oval Office in 1988 and 2008, has left the door open for a 2016 campaign in recent years.

“I can die a happy man never having been president of the United States of America,” Biden said in a 2013 GQ profile. “But it doesn’t mean I won’t run.”

He continued: “The judgment I’ll make is, first of all, am I still as full of as much energy as I have now – do I feel this? … Number two, do I think I’m the best person in the position to move the ball? And, you know, we’ll see where the hell I am.”

Asked by CNN in February 2014 to name a reason he shouldn’t run, Biden said there are “no obvious reason.” More recently, he told ABC News “there is a chance” he will challenge Clinton, adding that the race is “wide open” on both the Democratic and Republican sides.

The next month will be crucial for the advocacy group’s field organizing, as Biden is expected to make a decision on whether to run by early August. Draft Biden announced on Monday that it is expanding its efforts in key primary states, hiring experienced politicos as state directors in New Hampshire and Iowa.

“Our team has come a long way since our humble beginnings of two people in my living room back in March,” Pierce said in a statement. “With positive momentum all across the board, we are going all in to encourage the Vice President to run for President ahead of his potential August 1st announcement.”

A Clinton campaign spokesman did not return a request to comment on the possibility of the vice president jumping into the contest.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2015/06/29/efforts_to_draft_biden_for_2016_gain_steam_127175.html

I really do think that Biden is making a huge mistake by not running...he could beat Hillary just on a comparison of resumes.....yes I admit he has a way of putting his foot in his mouth but he is well liked, knows everybody in congress and some of his faux pau's can be attributed to his down home style of talking...nothing a little discipline can't fix.....also he, like Obama has had a very good second term...there's a lot he can point to......but he has to go all out and destroy Hillary..I'm not sure if he has the political balls to do that

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
are you talking about TRUMP or FOX NEWS??????????????????........this is why they are so good for each other

I'm talking about Trump. 

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
I'm talking about Trump. 

ok...because when you talk about lack of self control, temperament, position of numerous issues, and repeated shifting of policy views you might as well be talking about FOX as well

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
In really do think that Biden is making a huge mistake by not running...he could beat Hillary just on a comparison of resumes.....yes I admit he has a way of puting his foot in his mouth but he is well liked, knows everybody in congress and some of his faux pau's can be attributed to his down home style of talking...nothing a little discipline can't fix.....also he, like Obama has had a very good second term...there's a lot he can point to......but he has to go all out and destroy Hillary..I'm not sure if he has the political balls to do that

Biden has been repeatedly rejected by Democrats when he previously ran for president.  No reason why he'll do any better this time around.  He's still the same bumbling, dishonest, inept loose cannon he was during his last presidential runs.  

He is 72 years old.  He isn't going to develop a "little discipline" at this stage of his life.  He is who he is.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
ok...because when you talk about lack of self control, temperament, position of numerous issues, and repeated shifting of policy views you might as well be talking about FOX as well

Dude that makes zero sense.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Dude that makes zero sense.
of course it does...to a pro-FOXer.....everyone else knows what I mean

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
of course it does...to a pro-FOXer.....everyone else knows what I mean

Yes, I'm sure everyone knows what you mean when you say "Fox News" has a "lack of self control, temperament, position on numerous issues, and repeated shifting of policy views." 

Do you not see how nonsensical that is, or are you just trolling?