Author Topic: Presidential Candidates 2016: 10 Democrats Who Might Be the Next Nominee  (Read 111414 times)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Biden would have my vote unequivocally 8)

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor

Why?!?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

:-[

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Why?!?

Is the best qualified and has the best resume....long service in government......I believe him when he talks.....Hillary I always feel is lying about something

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Clinton favorablity continues to slide; Just 3 in 10 see her as honest

Washington (CNN)Just 39 percent of all Americans see Hillary Clinton in a positive light, while 49 percent have an unfavorable view the Democratic Presidential candidate according to a recent AP-GfK poll released Thursday.

This is an eight point increase in her unfavorable rate since an April AP-GfK poll was conducted.

A Washington Post-ABC News poll released just one day prior showed Clinton with a 45 percent unfavorable rating, but a 52 percent favorable rating.

There are two factors that may be driving the different ratings. First, polls conducted online, as the AP-GfK poll was, often find lower favorability ratings for well-known figures than most polling conducted via phone. This is partly because online polling makes it easier for respondents to say they don't have an opinion of the person they're asked about. For instance, in the ABC-Post poll, just 4% say they have no opinion of Clinton, compared with 11% in the AP-GfK poll. These differences often hit the positive side of any poll question more than the negative one.

Beyond the methodological differences, the storylines for each poll stem mostly from timing. The AP-GfK poll finds that Clinton's favorability ratings are down since April, shortly after she launched her campaign, without any data in the interim. The Washington Post-ABC News poll reports that her ratings are up since late-May, a time which marked a low point in Clinton's recent ratings in that poll and in others, including CNN/ORC data.

RELATED: Report: Clinton has spent 40% of campaign funds

The only other 2016 hopefully who rated higher in negative impressions among all Americans in the AP-GfK polls was Republican candidate Donald Trump with 58 percent.

The drop in Clinton's numbers appears to extend into the Democratic Party.

Seven in 10 Democrats gave Clinton positive marks, an 11-point drop from the April survey conducted by AP-GfK. Nearly a quarter of Democrats now say they see Clinton in an unfavorable light.

In the Washington Post-ABC News poll, Clinton's fellow Democratic candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders from Vermont, who has been rallying the masses at campaign events, had a 28 percent unfavorable impression among responders, but only a 27 percent favorable rating.

Republican candidates, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie were not far behind Clinton in negative impressions in the AP-Gfk poll, tied at 44 percent unfavorable ratings among all Americans. Christie had a 23 percent total favorable rating and Bush had a 31 percent favorable rating.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Clinton favorablity continues to slide; Just 3 in 10 see her as honest

Washington (CNN)Just 39 percent of all Americans see Hillary Clinton in a positive light, while 49 percent have an unfavorable view the Democratic Presidential candidate according to a recent AP-GfK poll released Thursday.

This is an eight point increase in her unfavorable rate since an April AP-GfK poll was conducted.

A Washington Post-ABC News poll released just one day prior showed Clinton with a 45 percent unfavorable rating, but a 52 percent favorable rating.

There are two factors that may be driving the different ratings. First, polls conducted online, as the AP-GfK poll was, often find lower favorability ratings for well-known figures than most polling conducted via phone. This is partly because online polling makes it easier for respondents to say they don't have an opinion of the person they're asked about. For instance, in the ABC-Post poll, just 4% say they have no opinion of Clinton, compared with 11% in the AP-GfK poll. These differences often hit the positive side of any poll question more than the negative one.

Beyond the methodological differences, the storylines for each poll stem mostly from timing. The AP-GfK poll finds that Clinton's favorability ratings are down since April, shortly after she launched her campaign, without any data in the interim. The Washington Post-ABC News poll reports that her ratings are up since late-May, a time which marked a low point in Clinton's recent ratings in that poll and in others, including CNN/ORC data.

RELATED: Report: Clinton has spent 40% of campaign funds

The only other 2016 hopefully who rated higher in negative impressions among all Americans in the AP-GfK polls was Republican candidate Donald Trump with 58 percent.

The drop in Clinton's numbers appears to extend into the Democratic Party.

Seven in 10 Democrats gave Clinton positive marks, an 11-point drop from the April survey conducted by AP-GfK. Nearly a quarter of Democrats now say they see Clinton in an unfavorable light.

In the Washington Post-ABC News poll, Clinton's fellow Democratic candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders from Vermont, who has been rallying the masses at campaign events, had a 28 percent unfavorable impression among responders, but only a 27 percent favorable rating.

Republican candidates, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie were not far behind Clinton in negative impressions in the AP-Gfk poll, tied at 44 percent unfavorable ratings among all Americans. Christie had a 23 percent total favorable rating and Bush had a 31 percent favorable rating.

Whoa Nellie!  I Know that's a photoshop, although that's probably how she will look after four or eight years of her presidency if she is elected. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Whoa Nellie!  I Know that's a photoshop, although that's probably how she will look after four or eight years of her presidency if she is elected. 

but i thought looks didn't matter in presidential politics?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
but i thought looks didn't matter in presidential politics?

Good grief. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
All five Democrats running for president in one spot Friday
By Dan Merica
Fri July 17, 2015

Cedar Rapids, Iowa (CNN)It may not be fiery enough to call it the showdown at the Cedar Rapids Convention Center, but a party dinner on Friday night will be the first time all five Democratic candidates will attend the same event together since the nomination fight kicked off.

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley, former Virginia Sen. Jim Webb and former Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee will all address an audience of around 1,200 Iowa Democrats for 15 minutes each on Friday night. Referred to as a "cattle call," it is a first for Democrats this cycle, a stunning fact compared when you consider Republicans have had well over a dozen cattle calls.

The speaking order will be alphabetical -- so the list will go Chafee, Clinton, O'Malley, Sanders, Webb -- and all candidates are expected to be in the room for the other speeches.

The event, which is actually the Iowa Democratic Party's Hall of Fame Celebration, offers each candidate different opportunities to help -- and hurt -- their chances in Iowa.

Clinton will be able to flex her organizing muscles and sizable frontrunner status. Her campaign announced Friday morning, ahead of the dinner, that Iowa Attorney General Tom Miller and Treasurer Michael Fitzgerald had decided to endorse the former secretary of state and Democratic frontrunner.

"Hillary Clinton has already started earning the support of thousands of critically important Iowa caucus-goers but there is a long way to go," said Lily Adams, Clinton's Iowa spokeswoman. "She looks forward to continuing to make the case, including tonight at dinner alongside the other candidates."

Clinton, who will likely have a sizable contingent of supporters in the room, will have to avoid coming across as the chosen candidate, something her campaign has tried to avoid since they launched in April.

The former first lady will also have to address her opponents, something she has not done since announcing her campaign.

Iowa Democrats feel the event offers Sanders and O'Malley, Clinton's two most stout Democratic challengers, the biggest opportunity. They can push the envelope, activists said, and an opportunity to cast themselves as the most effective counterweight to the former secretary of state.

Both the Sanders and O'Malley campaigns declined to preview their speeches, but Iowa Democrats expect attack lines at the event to largely be directed at Republicans, not the other Democrats in the room.

Sanders has surged of late in Iowa and nationally. A Quinnipiac poll released earlier this month found Sanders at 33% in the Hawkeye State, with Clinton at 52%. In May, Clinton was beating Sanders by 45%.

O'Malley, however, has not surged in Iowa, despite making the state a focal point of his campaign. The same Quinnipiac poll found the former Maryland governor and Baltimore mayor at 3%.

Tom Henderson, the chairman of the Polk County Democratic Party, said Friday's event offers Sanders and O'Malley the most upside, while Clinton has the most at risk.

"Anytime you are the frontrunner I think you are trying to play it safe a bit," said Henderson. "I think Hillary Clinton will try to make hit the same themes that the party is focused on, but she can't be like Bernie Sanders, she can't let it all hang out."

Sanders and O'Malley, though, are the "the ones who need to emerge," said Henderson, and the way they do that is my making a lasting impression on the largely activists audience at the event.

O'Malley's team, cognizant of the fact he is still middling in the polls, issued a memo from their Iowa State Director on Friday that argued their candidate is poised to have a strong summer in Iowa.

Hitting on Iowa's focus on retail politics and O'Malley's progressive record, Jake Oeth, the O'Malley campaign's Iowa State Director, said that "this summer will prove that O'Malley not only has what it takes to perform well in Iowa, but he's the right candidate for president as we fight to rebuild the American dream. That's a strong place to be heading into tonight's speech in Cedar Rapids, with less than 200 days to go."

The question is, though, whether candidates will go after the other Democrats -- even though the candidates are in the room -- or whether they will turn their focus on Republicans.

Iowa State Sen. Jeff Danielson, a Democrat who has already endorsed Clinton, said many Democrats see contrasts within the party as a good and healthy thing. And because of that, subtle knocks on each other could work.

"I want contrast between Democrats," he said. "It is a job interview about what you are going to try to do and not every Democrat thinks the same way. We should be mature about it and welcome it without personal animus."

Danielson acknowledged that Clinton has more to lose tonight than others, but said the key for Sanders and O'Malley is showing "gravitas" and punching up.

"They have to show gravitas, a leadership capability that they are ready for be president," he said. "I don't think that is a question with Hillary."

Webb and Chafee are in a different position than the other two other candidates not named Clinton.

In Henderson's mind, they are "go for broke" candidates.

"They just have to catch attention," he said, arguing that the night will be successful for them if they land a good soundbite the sticks with the crowd.

Chafee has actively not focused on Iowa since launching his campaign earlier this year, instead putting most of his effort behind running in New Hampshire. Debbie Rich, Chafee's spokeswoman, would not provide a preview of the governor's speech, but said he is looking forward to the event.

Webb, on the other hand, has spent time in Iowa and has a small base of support, particularly with blue collar workers and veterans.

Craig Crawford, Webb's spokesman, said Friday that the candidate plans to talk about "his message of inclusion, building a Democratic Party that brings all working people to the table."

"We're happy for this chance to be with all the candidates and their teams," Crawford said. "A night to celebrate our party together, before the 'intramurals' get going."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/17/politics/hillary-clinton-iowa-democrats-dinner/index.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Draft-Biden Group Pushes Petition Urging Him to Run for President
By Greg Richter     
Sunday, 26 Jul 2015

Draft Biden 2016 has released an ad featuring supporters sharing their reasons why the vice president should run for the nation's highest office.

"Some people ask, 'Why Joe Biden?' I turn back and ask them, 'Why not Joe Biden? He’s been one of the most influential vice presidents that this country has seen,'" a man says in the opening of the 62-second ad.

"He’s right now a part of one of the most successful administrations in recent history, and he’s a big reason for that success," another man says.

Other backers cite Biden's early support for same-sex marriage and for stopping violence on college campuses as reasons for their support.

"He's supported the younger generation's beliefs," said one young man, followed by a woman who says, "There's nobody more qualified to be president than Joe Biden at this point in time."

"In 2016 I’m ridin' with Biden," each of the supporters ends the ad.

The video was released online Friday, one day before Draft Biden 2016's National Day of Action to get more signatures on a petition to urge the vice president to get in the race. The petition currently has more than 150,000 signatures.

Biden has given no indication he will enter the race, but also has said he hasn't ruled out running when asked earlier this year. Bloomberg News reported that his son Beau Biden, just before his death in May, urged his father to run.

Biden is currently polling third at 13 percent in the Democratic field behind former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton at 51 percent and Vermont independent Sen. Bernie Sanders at 17 percent in a recent Monmouth University poll. Clinton and Sanders are both declared candidates.

But Draft Biden 2016 notes that the poll shows that 12 percent more said they would vote for Biden if he enters the race, and 43 percent said they would at least consider Biden should he toss his hat into the ring. And 68 percent of that support would come from current Clinton backers.

"Most people seem to be focusing on a Sanders surge among the liberal wing of the party," Monmouth polling director Patrick Murray said. "But the bigger threat to Clinton may come from a Biden candidacy, where the two would be fighting for the same voters."

Draft Biden isn't putting money behind the ad, The Hill reports, but is sending it to supporters so it can gain grassroots backing.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/ddraft-biden-ad-signatures/2015/07/26/id/658984/#ixzz3h6tFCrWN

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Draft-Biden Group Pushes Petition Urging Him to Run for President
By Greg Richter     
Sunday, 26 Jul 2015

Draft Biden 2016 has released an ad featuring supporters sharing their reasons why the vice president should run for the nation's highest office.

"Some people ask, 'Why Joe Biden?' I turn back and ask them, 'Why not Joe Biden? He’s been one of the most influential vice presidents that this country has seen,'" a man says in the opening of the 62-second ad.

"He’s right now a part of one of the most successful administrations in recent history, and he’s a big reason for that success," another man says.

Other backers cite Biden's early support for same-sex marriage and for stopping violence on college campuses as reasons for their support.

"He's supported the younger generation's beliefs," said one young man, followed by a woman who says, "There's nobody more qualified to be president than Joe Biden at this point in time."

"In 2016 I’m ridin' with Biden," each of the supporters ends the ad.

The video was released online Friday, one day before Draft Biden 2016's National Day of Action to get more signatures on a petition to urge the vice president to get in the race. The petition currently has more than 150,000 signatures.

Biden has given no indication he will enter the race, but also has said he hasn't ruled out running when asked earlier this year. Bloomberg News reported that his son Beau Biden, just before his death in May, urged his father to run.

Biden is currently polling third at 13 percent in the Democratic field behind former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton at 51 percent and Vermont independent Sen. Bernie Sanders at 17 percent in a recent Monmouth University poll. Clinton and Sanders are both declared candidates.

But Draft Biden 2016 notes that the poll shows that 12 percent more said they would vote for Biden if he enters the race, and 43 percent said they would at least consider Biden should he toss his hat into the ring. And 68 percent of that support would come from current Clinton backers.

"Most people seem to be focusing on a Sanders surge among the liberal wing of the party," Monmouth polling director Patrick Murray said. "But the bigger threat to Clinton may come from a Biden candidacy, where the two would be fighting for the same voters."

Draft Biden isn't putting money behind the ad, The Hill reports, but is sending it to supporters so it can gain grassroots backing.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/ddraft-biden-ad-signatures/2015/07/26/id/658984/#ixzz3h6tFCrWN

Do you think Biden should run?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Do you think Biden should run?

No.  I only want candidates who would make good presidents to run, regardless of party.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
No.  I only want candidates who would make good presidents to run, regardless of party.

That rules out the entire crop of GOP then.

240 is Back

• Getbig V

if you excuse all the lunacy, extremism, hypocrisy, ignorance, venom and outright party cannibalism, the 2016 GOP potentials list is awesome.

Any response which points out the dems are also inept will prove my post.  thank you.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V

:D :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

It rules out Hillary, but that may not keep her from winning. 

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
It rules out Hillary, but that may not keep her from winning. 

Rick Santorum and Scott Walker may be the most sane of the candidates but they have both made big gaffes as well.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Rick Santorum and Scott Walker may be the most sane of the candidates but they have both made big gaffes as well.

Gaffes don't necessarily dictate whether someone is fit to be president (unless we're talking about Trump).  I think a number of the GOP candidates look good on paper (Rubio, Cruz, Walker, Jindal, etc.).  The Democrat side is awfully thin.  We are probably doomed for another four years of mediocrity regardless of who wins, especially if it's Bush v. Clinton. 

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Gaffes don't necessarily dictate whether someone is fit to be president (unless we're talking about Trump).  I think a number of the GOP candidates look good on paper (Rubio, Cruz, Walker, Jindal, etc.).  The Democrat side is awfully thin.  We are probably doomed for another four years of mediocrity regardless of who wins, especially if it's Bush v. Clinton.  

Walker and Rubio are neophytes.......Cruz is just too extreme and just called the leader of his party a liar ;D......I would never vote for Jindal simply because he dipicted himself as white in a  self-portrait...shows you how he feels about himself

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/02/03/1362092/-Governor-Bobby-Jindal-s-official-portrait-revealed

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Gaffes don't necessarily dictate whether someone is fit to be president (unless we're talking about Trump).  I think a number of the GOP candidates look good on paper (Rubio, Cruz, Walker, Jindal, etc.).  The Democrat side is awfully thin.  We are probably doomed for another four years of mediocrity regardless of who wins, especially if it's Bush v. Clinton. 

That's where your problem lies.  You are not very good at thinking it appears.

Jindull will most likely be the very first one to drop out when he fails to garner a single digit percentage of the votes.

Walker - like Jindull - panders to the faith based zealots who want to 'Murica to it's 1940s glory.  Good luck with the praying though, it sure helped them with those dazzling numbers in regards to their state ranking and approval ratings.

Cruz is nothing more than Trump-lite.  Trump neutered him to claim the spotlight at the most brash spokesperson of the party now.  The fact Cruz looks like he has a penchant for wearing eye liner isn't a good thing either.

Rubio - oh please.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Rand is in trouble.   Twelve people from his organization gave interviews.  low $, low interest. 

he doesn't stand for anything.  He WAS tea party, then swung center TOO SOON.   Now the base is like "Rand WHO?"

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Walker and Rubio are neophytes.......Cruz is just too extreme and just called the leader of his party a liar ;D......I would never vote for Jindal simply because he dipicted himself as white in a  self-portrait...shows you how he feels about himself

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/02/03/1362092/-Governor-Bobby-Jindal-s-official-portrait-revealed

Being a neophyte isn't necessarily a bad thing when it comes to politics. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Being a neophyte isn't necessarily a bad thing when it comes to politics. 

IF they achieved awesome things in real life, agreed.

But if they were a lobbyist turned career "running for prez" like Rubio, it's a little tough to brag about how prepared he is.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
That's where your problem lies.  You are not very good at thinking it appears.

Jindull will most likely be the very first one to drop out when he fails to garner a single digit percentage of the votes.

Walker - like Jindull - panders to the faith based zealots who want to 'Murica to it's 1940s glory.  Good luck with the praying though, it sure helped them with those dazzling numbers in regards to their state ranking and approval ratings.

Cruz is nothing more than Trump-lite.  Trump neutered him to claim the spotlight at the most brash spokesperson of the party now.  The fact Cruz looks like he has a penchant for wearing eye liner isn't a good thing either.

Rubio - oh please.

Wow.  Some hard hitting political commentary right there.  lol

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
That's where your problem lies.  You are not very good at thinking it appears.

Walker - like Jindull - panders to the faith based zealots who want to 'Murica to it's 1940s glory.  Good luck with the praying though, it sure helped them with those dazzling numbers in regards to their state ranking and approval ratings.

Cruz is nothing more than Trump-lite.  Trump neutered him to claim the spotlight at the most brash spokesperson of the party now.  The fact Cruz looks like he has a penchant for wearing eye liner isn't a good thing either.

Rubio - oh please.

I don't know what people see in jindal.he stays on the fence and says absolutely nothing