Author Topic: Deadlifts w/ trapbar vs. straight bar  (Read 858 times)

Charfman84

• Getbig III
Deadlifts w/ trapbar vs. straight bar
« on: August 31, 2008, 10:27:35 AM »
HI, Ive been reading the different forums here and getting alot of good tips and advice but can't seem to find much about using a trap bar for deadlifts.

Doing deadlifts with a regular Olympic bar is uncomfortable for me so I mainly do them with one of those diamond shaped trap bars.  Im wondering if there are any major differences in the muscles being worked when using the standard olympic bar vs the nuetral grip of the trap bar.  Is one "better" for developing the back or are they pretty much interchangeable?

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Re: Deadlifts w/ trapbar vs. straight bar
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 10:34:43 AM »
not too much difference, pulling a bar off the floor with any type of bar hits the back pretty much the same, the center of gravity is changed somewhat because the plates are more along the center of your body as opposed to in front of you and i've heard that the trap bar DL hits your thighs a little more than conventional DL's.

The Coach

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 11:11:05 AM »
I personally like the trap bar better for several reasons. Since the mecanics are a little different more power is generated through the hips and centered on the frontal plain. It also provides more leg power without as much stress on the lower back and will help a little more to raise your squat strength plus the the change in mechanics allows for better upper back power and strength. We use a trap bar about 75% of the time.

tomgreynolds

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 06:26:38 PM »
If you can find it... the HAMMER STRENGTH deadlift "machine" is awesome. good mix between conventional olympic-bar deadlift and the trap-bar.

I just happen to be fortunate enough to go to a university that has one, but they are hard to find otherwise. But i just made the transition to it and i'm very pleased.