Author Topic: USC's Cushing looking to squash rumors about steriod use  (Read 3728 times)

The Coach

USC's Cushing looking to squash rumors about steriod use
« on: February 24, 2009, 04:12:42 PM »
INDIANAPOLIS -- It usually happens this way when talking steroids. Whispers turn into rumors. Rumors into questions. Questions into a nagging linkage that is tough to shake.

And so it goes for USC linebacker Brian Cushing here at the combine, this 6-foot-3, 243-pound workout warrior, this special talent who possesses an intricate dalliance with nutrition, supplements and weightlifting. All of it is an art perfected by Cushing, who is part of a quartet of USC linebackers here who have spent their college careers united as one but now seek to separate themselves in importance and in order.

Cushing walked up to the podium at his news conference on Saturday afternoon and looked serious, spoke seriously and looked agitated. He knew what was eventually coming, and before long, indeed, it did.

More inquisition about if he had a steroid history present or past.

The fact he knew the queries would be lobbed his way did not prevent his frustration with having to do this dance one more time. NFL executives, coaches and scouts have already asked him these things this week. Now this. And more to come in more interviews with more teams.

He said he told the clubs what he has told all that ask: "I tell them straight up that’s not true," Cushing said.

And for emphasis, he added: "I have nothing to hide."

Once he stepped down from the podium, we visited on the experience, this wonderful, dream of a chance being muddied by whispers, rumors of steroid use.

Sort of like coffee tossed on a rare painting.

"I don’t understand where it is coming from," Cushing told me. "I was tested last December at USC and passed, one of several tests I have passed. I was tested this morning here at the combine and those results should be out in a couple of weeks to a month, I believe. I think people are trying to find something, anything, that would detract from what I have done on the field. You learn in life if it’s not one thing, it’s the other. I hope once I pass the test here that this will be put behind me. I’m really hoping for that."

And that is key.

If the combine test shows Cushing steroids free, that should resolve this issue, this whisper turned into rumor turned into questions. He is not the first player at the combine to endure such scrutiny. He will not be the last.

It is out there. It has stuck.

An NFL general manager, requesting anonymity, said: "We’ve been warned it is an issue and might have been one since high school. We are considering that. As unpleasant as it is, this is an issue with this player that only a negative test here is going to clear up right now. It’s unfortunate, because no one wants to kill the kid, but the issue is a reality."

Target numbers
Gil Brandt has "target numbers" -- based on past performances -- that linebackers should hit in their combine drills in order to be considered prospects worthy of further evaluation.

» Brandt: What teams look for in drills
Inside linebackers
Drill Target
40-yard dash 4.80 seconds
10-yard split (40) 1.70 seconds
20-yard split (40) 2.75 seconds
Bench press 24 reps at 225 pounds
Vertical jump 33 inches
Broad jump 9 feet, 6 inches
20-yard shuttle 4.20 seconds
60-yard shuttle 11.7
3-cone drill 7.20 seconds
Outside linebackers
Drill Target
40-yard dash 4.70 seconds
10-yard split (40) 1.65 seconds
20-yard split (40) 2.70 seconds
Bench press 23 reps at 225 pounds
Vertical jump 36 inches
Broad jump 9 feet, 9 inches
20-yard shuttle 4.10 seconds
60-yard shuttle 11.4
3-cone drill 7.10 seconds
And a 30-year NFL scout added: "If I were to look at the entire 300-plus group of players here and ask myself based on my knowledge of steroids which one of these players is the prime prospect to have used it, he would be it. He has the physique and other attributes that indicate it. But he is fortunate. Unlike other sports, we test strongly for it. And if he passes that test, so be it. He gets a clean slate with us."

Cushing admits this: He is a perfectionist, a zealot when it comes to using all of the natural ways to increase his physique, endurance, muscle and performance. And he will not wait until the combine steroids test returns to show the upside of his grueling preparation.

There are 40s to be run and weights to be lifted and shuttle drills to complete on Monday for all linebackers. Cushing said he is primed to give it his all, show that he is the best among not only the USC linebackers but of all linebackers here.

Two other USC linebackers -- Rey Maualuga and Clay Matthews -- are considered first-day if not first-round picks. The fourth, Kaluka Maiava, could rise: He outplayed them all in the last Rose Bowl, where he was the game’s defensive most valuable player.

That is a dynamite quartet from one school, a group that has pushed each other all along the way and worked together to reach enviable heights at USC. Now each one knows what is at stake. The "Trojan brothers" are now competitors, jockeying for the best combine results and eventual highest draft slots.

"To be here with each other makes it a lot easier for us," Matthews said, the son of former NFL star Clay Matthews and nephew of Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews. "None of our spots at USC were guaranteed; we had people behind us pushing us every day. When Rey said at the Senior Bowl that he was going to be the one that ran the fastest 40 here at the combine, that put a chip on all of our shoulders and gave us something to shoot for. No matter what, running, weight lifting or video games, I like to be first. I think we all share that."

Each of these USC linebackers garners extra attention.

Cushing gets the most, some of it for reasons he could do without.

"I guess with the A-Rod (Alex Rodriguez) thing going on in baseball that this is a hot topic and I don’t like being a part of it," Cushing said. "There really isn’t much I can do about it but show my skills here and wait until I get extra vindication from the test that I know will come. I can live with that. I have to."

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: USC's Cushing looking to squash rumors about steriod use
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 04:13:20 PM »
What about crushing the Sticky Studs rumor?

DeltsaForce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 04:13:40 PM »
Sticky studs bro...sticky studs

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 04:15:39 PM »
From this point on he shall be aptly named, Joe "Sticky Studs" Marino

DeltsaForce

• Getbig IV

The Coach

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 05:06:33 PM »
What about crushing the Sticky Studs rumor?

Lets face it, no matter what I say kids will be kids on here make keep on with their false assumptions. So why bother. Fuck em'

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 05:08:16 PM »
Lets face it, no matter what I say kids will be kids on here make keep on with their false assumptions. So why bother. Fuck em'
blame the liberals u closet case

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 05:08:47 PM »
is the "3 cone drill" something you and your husbands do as an agility exercise, "Coach"?
Deep Tissue Massage

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 05:09:37 PM »
its not a rumor lmao

he is/was on the gas, end of story

DeltsaForce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 05:09:59 PM »
Fuck em'

That's how they become sticky

The Coach

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 06:10:07 PM »
its not a rumor lmao

he is/was on the gas, end of story

Like I said, I don't believe he was when he with Carlisle but now he's discretionary training with Joe Defranco so who really knows. But if he tests dirty it will not only fall on Cushing but Defranco as well.

The Coach

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 06:12:36 PM »
blame the liberals u closet case

Don't be a fag....fag!

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 06:15:33 PM »
hmmm...

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
  • "No sir, the ball ain't heavy." - Herschel Walker
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 06:16:46 PM »
He'll be discovered.
U

The Coach

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 06:23:10 PM »
hmmm...

Sucks for him when he gets caught!! Do you know how far apart those pics were taken?

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 06:23:26 PM »
x2 for sticky studs answer
TEAM Nasser

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
x2 for sticky studs answer

x3 for sticky studs answer
S

DeltsaForce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 06:25:02 PM »
x3 for sticky studs answer

x4
Com'on Joe.. you been looking at them studs for nearly an hour. Finish up and answer.

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
  • "No sir, the ball ain't heavy." - Herschel Walker
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 06:25:56 PM »
Sucks for him when he gets caught!! Do you know how far apart those pics were taken?
He may not get caught but a team will spend a high draft pick on him which will be a waste. A la Brian Bosworth.
U

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 06:36:30 PM »
Not again  :-\

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?action=who

(right click, hit View Image)
S

io856

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 06:38:35 PM »
he is going to the top baby!

if you can't beat em join em

disturbia

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 06:59:35 PM »
Coach--do you have any link to the complete NFL combine results?

phemonmmill32

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 07:03:11 PM »
combine results should be posted on nfl.com

as far as cushing, if his stock unexpectedly drops on draft day, i think we'll all know the reason why based on the above pic.

are the drug test results leaked to the public?

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 07:23:24 PM »
Not again  :-\

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?action=who

(right click, hit View Image)

bwhahaha owned again Coach, just come out, we will accept you, stop lying to us  :-*
TEAM Nasser

mogulgangi

• Getbig IV
  • fitness celebrity
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 07:42:49 PM »
I AM NOT LYING...THIS IS 100% TRUE....I HAPPEN TO KNOW A FRIEND WHO PLAYS FOR OREGON STATE...A PROMINENT USC RIVAL.....B CUSHING AND THE rest of the trojans are all on the juice...just like all the big time programs and all the coaches who just care about thier records and not ethics.....note, you should not take this negative...all players are homone tested and hormone regulated...this is just another way pete caroll of creating a dinasty legally against the competition and keepin his J O B ....they all have nutritionists....side note, cushing has been suspended several times though, i heard, due to taking pain killers and HGH....

just what i heard...