Author Topic: Obama's Libya Attack An Impeachable Offense?  (Read 2211 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Obama's Libya Attack An Impeachable Offense?
« on: March 21, 2011, 10:53:15 AM »
Dennis Kucinich: Obama's Libya Attack An Impeachable Offense
Associated Press ^ | March 21, 2011 | Benjy Sarlin

________________________ ________________________ ______________

A number of Democratic and Republican lawmakers are concerned about the White House's air assault on Libya, but Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) raised the rhetoric to 11 on Monday, suggesting President Obama should be impeached.

"President Obama moved forward without Congress approving. He didn't have Congressional authorization, he has gone against the Constitution, and that's got to be said," Kucinich said in an interview with Raw Story. "It's not even disputable, this isn't even a close question. Such an action -- that involves putting America's service men and women into harm's way, whether they're in the Air Force or the Navy -- is a grave decision that cannot be made by the president alone."

According to Kucinich, Obama's decision "would appear on its face to be an impeachable offense," though he questioned whether Congress would ever move forward with a trial in practice.

As reported earlier by Politico, Kucinich raised the specter of impeachment in a conference call with Democratic lawmakers on Saturday.

(Excerpt) Read more at tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo. com ...

________________________ ________

Go DK! !   ! ! !

If this is what it takes to get this creatue from prts unknown out of office, so be it. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Obama's Libya Attack An Impeachable Offense?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:07:54 AM »
Ralph Nader: Obama ‘Should Be Impeached’ For ‘Committing War Crimes’
Mediaite.com ^ | 03/21/2011 | Matt Schneider

Frequent candidate for President Ralph Nader is back on the scene and proves, at the very least, he is consistent with his viewpoint. Arguing that President George W. Bush and Dick Cheney were war criminals and then claiming that the Obama administration continues to engage in the same activity, Nader made the logical deduction that President Obama must also be a war criminal who should be impeached.

Nader’s critical views of Obama’s foreign policy:

“Barack Obama is committing the same crimes [as Bush and Cheney], in fact worse ones in Afghanistan. Innocents are being slaughtered, we’re creating more enemies, he’s violating international law, he’s not constitutionally authorized to do what he’s doing, he’s using State secrets, he’s engaging in illegal surveillance, the CIA is running wild without any kind of circumsribed legal standards or disclosure . . . why don’t we say what’s on the minds of many legal experts; that the Obama administration is committing war crimes and if Bush should have been impeached, Obama should be impeached.”

(Excerpt) Read more at mediaite.com ...

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 11:14:32 AM »
Interesting, but I doubt anything comes of it. Unless of course the POTUS has managed to piss the dems off so much they want him gone.

Again Obama's own words come back to bite him is the ass.

"Q. In what circumstances, if any, would the president have constitutional authority to bomb Iran without seeking a use-of-force authorization from Congress? (Specifically, what about the strategic bombing of suspected nuclear sites -- a situation that does not involve stopping an IMMINENT threat?)

OBAMA: The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation.

As Commander-in-Chief, the President does have a duty to protect and defend the United States. In instances of self-defense, the President would be within his constitutional authority to act before advising Congress or seeking its consent."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 11:24:30 AM »
it's not like its breaking news that obama has gone back on his word.  everyone knows that. 

at the same time, what would getbiggers be saying if youtube was packed with videos of 'rebels being dragged from their closets and executed in front of their families" as kadaffi promised?  It would be "oh, the humanity, how could obama allow this?"

Repubs were already screaming he wasn't doing enough.  so he was gonna get criticized no matter what.  so he did what he wanted, breaking his word.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 11:25:46 AM »
 ;)

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 11:32:14 AM »
it's not like its breaking news that obama has gone back on his word.  everyone knows that. 

at the same time, what would getbiggers be saying if youtube was packed with videos of 'rebels being dragged from their closets and executed in front of their families" as kadaffi promised?  It would be "oh, the humanity, how could obama allow this?"

Repubs were already screaming he wasn't doing enough.  so he was gonna get criticized no matter what.  so he did what he wanted, breaking his word.

Who fucking cares? I don't get all emotional about the poor down trodden soles of the middle east like some of you. As far as I'm concerned you trade on asshole for another, it simply comes down to being a secular asshole or and Islamist asshole.  And as far as Obama "allowing this" ::).

Going back on your word is one thing, constitutional violations are another, I don't see how this is an immanent threat to the US.

Obama's real problem, is no one knows what his policy, and frankly I don't think he does until he actually makes a decision. If the bar is being set at " dictator that oppresses his people" the US military is going to be busy as hell over the next few years.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

whork25

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 11:40:40 AM »
Havent the US military always been pretty busy?
Cut Obama some slack he us just upholding the tradition that make this country great

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 11:43:32 AM »
Cut Obama some slack he us just upholding the tradition that make this country great

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 11:48:30 AM »

Why? I posted his own words on the subject. He either doesn't believe what he says or his opinion changes like the direction of the wind. Is that who should be running the country?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

whork25

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 11:56:03 AM »
Why? I posted his own words on the subject. He either doesn't believe what he says or his opinion changes like the direction of the wind. Is that who should be running the country?

"He either doesn't believe what he says or his opinion changes like the direction of the wind."

This.

Hes a politician so his opinion probably change in the direction of the voters. Who knows how a mind works after years in politics always negotiating and keeping up appearences.
Should he be running the country? Probably not.
Is there a better alternative? Time will tell

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 01:26:55 PM »
"He either doesn't believe what he says or his opinion changes like the direction of the wind."

This.

Hes a politician so his opinion probably change in the direction of the voters. Who knows how a mind works after years in politics always negotiating and keeping up appearences.
Should he be running the country? Probably not.
Is there a better alternative? Time will tell

See this is the problem, this shit has been going on so long we just chalk it up to "he is just being a politician". But it's ou own fault we just accept it instead of calling the fuckers out.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 01:32:44 PM »
He should be impeached. Sacrificing US money and risking US lives to secure oil for the EU while helping the Arab League push their Islamic supremacist agenda should be grounds for impeachment.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 01:36:52 PM »
I'm so confused. 

Hannity is screaming about the fact we should have done it 12 days ago - with zero help from our allies.

People complain when he acts.  They complain when he doesn't act fast enough. And if he was doing zilch, they'd be complaining too.

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 01:43:52 PM »
I'm so confused. 

Hannity is screaming about the fact we should have done it 12 days ago - with zero help from our allies.

People complain when he acts.  They complain when he doesn't act fast enough. And if he was doing zilch, they'd be complaining too.

Well shit is Hannity says it........ whoops sorry I don't care what Hannity says.

No people complain because he can't decide what he is going to do then when he does, he doesn't bother to consult congress ( that pesky constitution again) or explain to the public when, where, why, and how shit is being done. For a constitutional scholar and supposed great communicator he does a piss poor job of both.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 01:49:27 PM »
I'm very much against the attack.  The slaughter would have been over by now, and kadaffi would be running shit again and our US interests would be best served.

my whole beef is with this getbig statement "it's a leftist war!"

Repubs are screaming he didn't bomb fast enough, hard enough, and shouldn't have involved our allies.  Great, another American rush to war without the assistance of the world. 

He's doing a piss poor job, no doubt there.  But IMO it's the criticism from the repubs out both sides of their mouth that lets obama do what he wants.  If the GOP had delivered a unified "Attack Libya today" bill, or a "No attack on our watch!" immediately, obama would have had his hands tied.

Now?  Now he can claim a win in the 2012 election.  Now he can claim he waited for a world consensus, and that the USA only had a small role in the attack.  Again, GOP, please get your shit together.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 01:49:38 PM »
I'm so confused.  

People complain when he acts.  They complain when he doesn't act fast enough. And if he was doing zilch, they'd be complaining too.

And?

I'm very much against the attack.  The slaughter would have been over by now, and kadaffi would be running shit again and our US interests would be best served.

Repubs are screaming he didn't bomb fast enough, hard enough, and shouldn't have involved our allies.  Great, another American rush to war without the assistance of the world.  

He's doing a piss poor job, no doubt there.  But IMO it's the criticism from the repubs out both sides of their mouth that lets obama do what he wants.  If the GOP had delivered a unified "Attack Libya today" bill, or a "No attack on our watch!" immediately, obama would have had his hands tied.

Now?  Now he can claim a win in the 2012 election.  Now he can claim he waited for a world consensus, and that the USA only had a small role in the attack.  Again, GOP, please get your shit together.

Give it a rest already. You were the twat that started the finger-pointing when you purposely left Kerry out of your initial attempt to paint the Repubs as the ones leading the call for war. You've since spent a dozen+ posts trying to make excuses for it.

Obama listens to Hillary, Power and Rice, all three of which advocated for intervention. They are leftists. Obama is a leftists. This = leftist war.

He does not listen to McCain, T-Paw or Newt. They are irrelevant. Hope this helps.  8)

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 01:50:07 PM »
We have no business sticking our nose in Libya's civil war.  What is the end goal?  There is no foreward thinking at all. 

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 02:08:14 PM »
I'm very much against the attack.  The slaughter would have been over by now, and kadaffi would be running shit again and our US interests would be best served.

Repubs are screaming he didn't bomb fast enough, hard enough, and shouldn't have involved our allies.  Great, another American rush to war without the assistance of the world.  

He's doing a piss poor job, no doubt there.  But IMO it's the criticism from the repubs out both sides of their mouth that lets obama do what he wants.  If the GOP had delivered a unified "Attack Libya today" bill, or a "No attack on our watch!" immediately, obama would have had his hands tied.

Now?  Now he can claim a win in the 2012 election.  Now he can claim he waited for a world consensus, and that the USA only had a small role in the attack.  Again, GOP, please get your shit together.

Why should congress have to do that? The POTUS is commander-in-chief, he doesn't have unlimited authority to attack whoever, whenever the fuck he feels like it. We still have 3 branched of government not a fucking king. His hands are already tied by the constitution, and no UN resolution over rides that.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 02:11:09 PM »
Why should congress have to do that? The POTUS is commander-in-chief, he doesn't have unlimited authority to attack whoever, whenever the fuck he feels like it. We still have 3 branched of government not a fucking king

agreed he has no authority to do so.

however, what platform will Newt or T-paw have in a national debate, to condemn him?

"It was messed up to bomb them without asking, Barrack".
"Yes, but YOU were screaming about it, and people were dying by the minute, I had to act".

It's no leftist war.  It's a chickenhawk war. 

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 02:13:32 PM »
agreed he has no authority to do so.

however, what platform will Newt or T-paw have in a national debate, to condemn him?

"It was messed up to bomb them without asking, Barrack".
"Yes, but YOU were screaming about it, and people were dying by the minute, I had to act".

It's no leftist war.  It's a chickenhawk war. 

Who gives a shit, there is procedure, if Newt or T-Paw tell Obama to jump off a bridge will he? I really don't give a fuck what an unelected official jockeying for a presidential run has to say at this point.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 02:14:25 PM »
Who gives a shit, there is procedure, if Newt or T-Paw tell Obama to jump off a bridge will he? I really don't give a fuck what an unelected official jockeying for a presidential run has to say at this point.

I care a lot more about the 2012 debate dynamic than I do about some shitbird leader in lybia killing shitbirds who live there.

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 02:16:24 PM »
I care a lot more about the 2012 debate dynamic than I do about some shitbird leader in lybia killing shitbirds who live there.

Well then we agree on something, I don't give a shit about Libya or their civil war either. The point being Obama is the man, he makes the decisions, not Newt, not T-Paw they don't even hold office.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 02:20:05 PM »
Well then we agree on something, I don't give a shit about Libya or their civil war either. The point being Obama is the man, he makes the decisions, not Newt, not T-Paw they don't even hold office.

my point is that their eagerness to show off how big their hard-ons for war put them on the same side as obama on this issue.

As pussified as it sounds - those repubs who didn't have an opinion on the invasion can stand there with 20/20 hindsight and claim they knew the answer all along, but inexplicably kept it to themselves.

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 02:23:49 PM »
my point is that their eagerness to show off how big their hard-ons for war put them on the same side as obama on this issue.

As pussified as it sounds - those repubs who didn't have an opinion on the invasion can stand there with 20/20 hindsight and claim they knew the answer all along, but inexplicably kept it to themselves.

Did they call for an invasion or simply a no fly zone? As it stands now we have amphibious assault ships in the area. Which more than likely means Marines on the ground at some point. No thanks, I don't buy into any of the UN peace keeping bullshit, not worth the risk to one soldier for the useless fuckers.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ