Author Topic: Alabama passes bill requiring chemical castration for certain child molesters  (Read 1530 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
I'm not sure if this is constitutional, but I like the concept. 

Alabama passes bill requiring chemical castration for certain child molesters
By Louis Casiano | Fox News

An Alabama measure that would require certain child sex offenders to undergo chemical castration before being released from prison is awaiting the governor's signature.

The bill, known as HB 379, was introduced by Republican state Rep. Steve Hurst and targets child sex offenders whose offenses involve anyone under 13, according to the legislation.

“They have marked this child for life and the punishment should fit the crime,” Hurst told WIAT-TV in Birmingham.

ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT ARRESTED, ACCUSED OF MORE THAN 100 CHILD SEX CRIMES: REPORTS

The offenders would be required to foot the bill for the procedure. Refusing to undergo the castration would constitute a violation of parole, the bill reads.

Hurst said his aim is to reduce the number of sex crimes committed against children by making potential offenders think twice before they act.

"If we do something of this nature it would deter something like this happening again in Alabama and maybe reduce the numbers," said Hurst.

MARYLAND PEDIATRICIAN INDICTED ON 65 CHARGES, INCLUDING CHILD SEX ABUSE, AFTER RAPE ACCUSATION

"I had people call me in the past when I introduced it and said, 'Don't you think this is inhumane?'” Hurst said of the bill. “I asked them what's more inhumane than when you take a little infant child, and you sexually molest that infant child when the child cannot defend themselves or get away, and they have to go through all the things they have to go through. If you want to talk about inhumane -- that's inhumane.”

Attorney Raymond Johnson told the station that child molestation is already a serious offense punishable with prison time and probation after parole.

"They're going to challenge it under the Eighth Amendment Constitution, Johnson told the news outlet. "They're going to claim that it is cruel and unusual punishment  for someone who has served their time."

Neither Johnson nor Hurst responded on Tuesday to Fox News' requests for comment.

The bill was sent to Republican Gov. Kay Ivey's desk over the weekend and awaits her signature.

Several states already passed chemical castration bills, but it is not known how often the practice is used. Unlike surgical castration -- which involves the severing of one's genitals -- chemical castration uses drugs to suppress sexual urges.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/alabama-passes-bill-requiring-chemical-castration-for-certain-child-molesters?fbclid=IwAR3xR1zcM6-dwZneerNMfmS6PJKrjnwR1pZwE1RqJd_rMvEqtGmU3eeTJPg

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
I have no problem with the concept, but the science behind it is questionable. If it is shown to have an impact, and not just something to placate the system cool. If it is chemical, how would the administration of the drug be monitored? Personally,  I'm of the position if you have already been identified and convicted of such a crime, you have given up your right to be free in society.  I would also have no problem with keeping someone who violated a 13 year old or younger which is what the law addresses,  locked up for life or euthanized. 

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
I am in general opposed to the death penalty but you'll never see me picketing against it because certainly some mother fuckers probably deserve it.  I find rapists and pederasts to be more deserving of capital punishment than murderers.  With murder, at least the suffering ends.  If you've been raped or molested, I'd imagine it could haunt you the rest of your life.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I am in general opposed to the death penalty but you'll never see me picketing against it because certainly some mother fuckers probably deserve it.  I find rapists and pederasts to be more deserving of capital punishment than murderers.  With murder, at least the suffering ends.  If you've been raped or molested, I'd imagine it could haunt you the rest of your life.

What the deuce??  A substantive post.  I knew you could do it Abraham.  Told you I believed in you.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
What the deuce??  A substantive post.  I knew you could do it Abraham.  Told you I believed in you.

I finally feel validated.  I've really been buckling down lately and glad to have it finally pay off.  Thanks Dos.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
I finally feel validated.  I've really been buckling down lately and glad to have it finally pay off.  Thanks Dos.

:)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V

I  opposed kind of.  the system that leads to innocent people on death penalty. But if a person has been deemed unfit for society.. and the evidence is overwhelming and noncontroversial, I'm for a quick death.   

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
I  opposed kind of.  the system that leads to innocent people on death penalty. But if a person has been deemed unfit for society.. and the evidence is overwhelming and noncontroversial, I'm for a quick death.   

Same here. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

No worries.  I am here to help.   :)

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16

of course, at the end of the day rape is the only unforgivable crime, hell you can justify a lot of murder.

mazrim

• Getbig V
Is there anyone ok with this and ok with them being allowed to vote?

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
I have no problem with the concept, but the science behind it is questionable. If it is shown to have an impact, and not just something to placate the system cool. If it is chemical, how would the administration of the drug be monitored? Personally,  I'm of the position if you have already been identified and convicted of such a crime, you have given up your right to be free in society.  I would also have no problem with keeping someone who violated a 13 year old or younger which is what the law addresses,  locked up for life or euthanized. 

X2
Well said.

Especially the Euthanised part - Perfect solution.