Author Topic: Deer Hunter Accidentally Kills 16-Month-Old Girl  (Read 1592 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Deer Hunter Accidentally Kills 16-Month-Old Girl
« on: November 18, 2008, 05:39:01 PM »
Tuesday November 18, 2008
CityNews.ca Staff

When Edward Taibi went hunting this weekend, he never dreamed he'd wind up in jail charged with killing an infant.

The 45-year-old is accused of shooting a baby as she innocently sat in her grandparents' home in the city of Swan Lake, New York, about a hundred kilometres from the Big Apple.

Taibi was deer hunting Sunday afternoon and shot one of the animals. He came down from his perch and fired his .30 calibre rifle a second time, but the next round came some 400 feet away from a trailer home.

The bullet missed the deer and went into the side of one of the units instead, hitting 16-month-old Charly Skala in the torso. The infant was flown to a nearby hospital, but doctors couldn't save her.

Under the law, a hunter can't shoot a firearm or a bow within 500 feet of an occupied residence unless the person aiming the weapon owns the property or has the owner's consent. Taibi had received permission from a neighbour to be on the property, but when his bullet killed the little girl, charges were laid.

The stunned hunter, who went out for a legal sojourn on Sunday, has now found himself being held without bail in a jail cell charged with second-degree manslaughter. He's said to be beside himself with grief, noting he never meant to hurt anyone, and is cooperating fully in the investigation.

Taibi is the father of a 17-year-old girl and knows what it's like to lose an offspring. One of his own children died of cancer just two years ago.
w

newmom

Re: Deer Hunter Accidentally Kills 16-Month-Old Girl
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 05:48:49 PM »
I heard it on the news radio this am and they did audio clip of the hunters girlfriend crying saying how sorry they feel for the family of this little girl. Truely sad accident. My heart goes out to the little girls family

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 05:57:37 PM »
I heard it on the news radio this am and they did audio clip of the hunters girlfriend crying saying how sorry they feel for the family of this little girl. Truely sad accident. My heart goes out to the little girls family

My heart goes out to everyone involved. It truly is tragic.  :'(

I wonder how long it will take the gun control advocates to pounce on this and use it as an excuse to launch another attack on 2nd amendment rights?
w

newmom

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 06:01:44 PM »
I whole heartdly believe in the 2nd ammendment. Come from a long line of hunters and devoted NRA members. I think it was a terrible accident. My dad is a hunter, but never near anyones home. I went with him a few times and were in a field on land that he knows the owner and had written and verbal permission, noone near by for miles

spotter

• Getbig III
  • Off the Hook
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 06:40:42 PM »
Tuesday November 18, 2008
CityNews.ca Staff

When Edward Taibi went hunting this weekend, he never dreamed he'd wind up in jail charged with killing an infant.

The 45-year-old is accused of shooting a baby as she innocently sat in her grandparents' home in the city of Swan Lake, New York, about a hundred kilometres from the Big Apple.

Taibi was deer hunting Sunday afternoon and shot one of the animals. He came down from his perch and fired his .30 calibre rifle a second time, but the next round came some 400 feet away from a trailer home.

The bullet missed the deer and went into the side of one of the units instead, hitting 16-month-old Charly Skala in the torso. The infant was flown to a nearby hospital, but doctors couldn't save her.

Under the law, a hunter can't shoot a firearm or a bow within 500 feet of an occupied residence unless the person aiming the weapon owns the property or has the owner's consent. Taibi had received permission from a neighbour to be on the property, but when his bullet killed the little girl, charges were laid.

The stunned hunter, who went out for a legal sojourn on Sunday, has now found himself being held without bail in a jail cell charged with second-degree manslaughter. He's said to be beside himself with grief, noting he never meant to hurt anyone, and is cooperating fully in the investigation.

Taibi is the father of a 17-year-old girl and knows what it's like to lose an offspring. One of his own children died of cancer just two years ago.

I agree that it may stir people up.  It was an accident.  I agree with you that hunters should be able to hunt, but I'm not a fan of hand guns, semi automatic, or automatic weapons... Hunters control animal populations, and some people in rural areas need to do it to survive....Hunters are not the threat to people on average, its the "jerk" who think its cool to carry a piece....Hunters tend to be very careful about shooting......My heart too goes out to the family of the child, and to the hunter...Very tragic....

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 06:51:19 PM »
This asshole broke the law and fired a weapon in a place you can't fire one.

And, he fired a high powered weapon without being 100% sure of his backstop.

He deserves life in prision for his irresponsible use of a deadly weapon.  Period.

Alex23

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 06:56:12 PM »

He deserves life in prision for his irresponsible use of a deadly weapon.  Period.

Trying to give a shit.....

failed.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 06:58:21 PM »
This is like The Twilight Zone Political board.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 07:05:02 PM »

I am sure this guy wants to commit suicide right now.  This is a disaster for everyone involved.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 07:58:59 PM »
horrible man, ive been hunting at a friends land out in west texas and they are basically in the middle of a bunch of individual plots of land all reserved for hunting. It made me nerveous knowing that somebody on another plot could potentially miss and hit somebody else. I much rather prefer to be the only ppl around for miles and know that if i shoot and miss there is no harm no foul other than a missed deer.