Author Topic: Ebola - in Texas - Two Cases, including a nurse that wore protective gear  (Read 24288 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Second case of Ebola in Dallas confirmed.
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2014, 03:16:04 PM »

I heard that he didn't have any health insurance.

Probably not, folks without health insurance generally go to the ER because they don't have a regular doctor they can go to. Also, I believe a doctor can turn you away if you can't pay up front and you don't have insurance. Hospital ER's cannot do this. They are required by law to treat you.

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
All the other cases of Ebola that sprang up in recent years fizzled out.

It really does look like this strain is getting passed around much easier.

Wait till it hits India!

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
All the other cases of Ebola that sprang up in recent years fizzled out.

It really does look like this strain is getting passed around much easier.

Wait till it hits India!
Or China. You have a lot of Chinese in West African countries, I don't know how many in the three that were affected. Imagine them going home to escape this, and bringing it there.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
whats his explanation?

Its a pattern, way too many medical professionals have been infected wearing hazmat suits for it all to be breach in protocol.

Uhm, define "way too many" for us, will you?

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2014, 04:30:39 PM »
All you need is one infected guy getting thrown in to a place like L.A.County Jail.
A place that's so overcrowded  that people sleep on the floor next to each other. It would spread like wildfire. Hundreds a day.  All hell would break lose

Yeah but they're all bad. ;D

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2014, 04:34:54 PM »
This has already been pointed out.

Lots of strange coincidences that are almost like a horror movie plotline.

Resident Evil, it's happening.

orion

• Getbig IV
They say this is hard to get yet a news camera man got it and it's not like he would be handling dead bodies, right?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
I read there were up to 100 infected medical workers between africa and the western countries.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica

I read there were up to 100 infected medical workers between africa and the western countries.

They say this is hard to get yet a news camera man got it and it's not like he would be handling dead bodies, right?

Sounds like too many to me.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Leave Ebola alone! >:(

Parker

• Getbig V
They may not have all had hazmat suits to wear.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
They may not have all had hazmat suits to wear.
i understand that, and not all their protocols are the same.

But some of those countries have HAD Ebola outbreal experience, and have working protocols, and know how dangerous it is... and they still have had medical professionals infected in ways that weve been told shouldnt happen.

The spanish nurse contracted it and now so did an american nurse... how many patients have we treated here? 3 total? And weve already had a medical professional get infected when she wouldnt? Doesnt seem like good odds to me.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
We can't in all fairness place all the burden on the Hospital.  Duncan knew he had Ebola and chose to come to the United States. He kept his exposure a secret until he became sick and had no choice but to seek medical treatment.   No one knows exactly when Duncan told the hospital he was exposed to Ebola.   This is important to determine the level of negligence the hospital is guilty of.   If Duncan told the hospital he was exposed to Ebola from the beginning then we have a problem.  What inflames me is that Duncan's family is likely going to sue and could possibly win.  They have no right to compensation.  They are complicit in assisting Duncan spread Ebola and should be made to pay restitution.  To make a comparison, they may not have robbed the bank but they drove the getaway car.

The news article I read about this indicated that Duncan did tell the folks in the ER that he may have Ebola. He also had a fever of 103 degrees. In an adult, that is pretty serious. You can die at 105 or 106 degrees. If Duncan told the hospital he was exposed or thought he may have been exposed to Ebola, this likely supports the contention that he knew he was exposed before he returned to the States, despite that he had no symptoms.

I spoke with my son today. As part of his job, he travels to Africa several times a year. He said these trips have been suspended for the time being. This made me feel better. I was worried about him being somehow exposed to Ebola.

avxo

• Getbig V

Great - I'm not going to ask you to provide a link, I'll just take your word for it that you did read it and that it's an accurate figure. Now, do tell us: how many of those "up to 100" were even using the protocols you imply aren't working?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Great - I'm not going to ask you to provide a link, I'll just take your word for it that you did read it and that it's an accurate figure. Now, do tell us: how many of those "up to 100" were even using the protocols you imply aren't working?
read my post 2 above. I know many of them dont share protocols, i also know at least one country has them based on experience and they have had infected aid workers.

My point, is that were continusouly told that this is difficult to catch, and that we cant catch it in certain ways, yet were having medical professionals who are becoming infected over and over. Its not a dig on any one protocol, its that were either missing something or not being told something.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
read my post 2 above. I know many of them dont share protocols, i also know at least one country has them based on experience and they have had infected aid workers.

My point, is that were continusouly told that this is difficult to catch, and that we cant catch it in certain ways, yet were having medical professionals who are becoming infected over and over. Its not a dig on any one protocol, its that were either missing something or not being told something.

I agree. The article posted earlier which stated that it was hard to catch went right on to describe how easy it is to catch. The question is, can it be air-born. If so, then everyone is in danger of catching it.

avxo

• Getbig V

It is difficult to catch and the transmission vectors are pretty well understood: direct contact with either the bodily fluids of someone infected or with objects which have come in contact with the bodily fluids of someone infected is required.

Parker

• Getbig V
I agree. The article posted earlier which stated that it was hard to catch went right on to describe how easy it is to catch. The question is, can it be air-born. If so, then everyone is in danger of catching it.
If it is air borne, then mass hysteria just might ensue, and then everybody may just be wearing those masks like in Asian countries, you may see people wearing gloves, and covered head to toe. Some may even make their own hazmat suits out of garbage bags and duct tape. And everybody flooding the ERs around the country for every sneeze, fever, cold, and cough...remember this is the season for all of those cold like symptoms.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
The news article I read about this indicated that Duncan did tell the folks in the ER that he may have Ebola. He also had a fever of 103 degrees. In an adult, that is pretty serious. You can die at 105 or 106 degrees. If Duncan told the hospital he was exposed or thought he may have been exposed to Ebola, this likely supports the contention that he knew he was exposed before he returned to the States, despite that he had no symptoms.

I spoke with my son today. As part of his job, he travels to Africa several times a year. He said these trips have been suspended for the time being. This made me feel better. I was worried about him being somehow exposed to Ebola.

During which visit did he inform the doctor of his exposure? First, Second or Third?  I can't find any information on this topic.   It's a travesty if the hospital turned him away knowing he was exposed to Ebola   
A

Primemuscle

• Getbig V

During which visit did he inform the doctor of his exposure? First, Second or Third?  I can't find any information on this topic.   It's a travesty if the hospital turned him away knowing he was exposed to Ebola   

"Duncan had first sought treatment on Sept. 25, five days after he arrived in Dallas. But for reasons that still remain unclear nearly two weeks later, he was released by the hospital, despite telling them that he had traveled from Liberia and that he had a fever and some abdominal pain." http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/10/08/texas-ebola-patient-has-died-from-ebola/

I guess this isn't the same thing as him telling them he had Ebola, but given the chances he could have it based on the information he provided, the hospital staff seem to have dropped the ball.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
It is difficult to catch and the transmission vectors are pretty well understood: direct contact with either the bodily fluids of someone infected or with objects which have come in contact with the bodily fluids of someone infected is required.
right: and this is my concern.

They keep saying that, but they know EXACTLY how it works and how to avoid it and they keep getting infected... the people who are supposed to be the professionals, in full suits now, in advanced western countries. Weve had 4  cases between us and spain and 2 medical pros have been infected.

Apparently the CDC director has also reluctantly admitted that it COULD be transmitted via airborne droplets, so even though its not technically airborne, you could catch via a form of airborne transmission. (Sneezes, coughs, etc)

Made me scratch my head. Hes saying its not airborne but it is.

Also, they said you cant catch it by sitting next to someone with it. And then the CDC turned around and said the opposite.

They tell us its hard to catch and then contradict themselves and say how easy it is to catch.

Theres plenty of speculation on mutation, i dont know anything about that.... but i DO nelieve were unserestimating its current rate of transmitability. I think the CDC directos angle is probably correct, that its being passed alone through airborne droplets.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
The panic has already set in.

I have a bad cough as the result of a recent bout of bronchial pneumonia. I am not contagious according to my doctor. If I were, I wouldn't go out in public. The other day I was at Starbucks enjoying a Chai Latte. I coughed a couple of times, always covering my mouth. This lady shot me a dirty look, packed up her two kids and left the store.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
"Duncan had first sought treatment on Sept. 25, five days after he arrived in Dallas. But for reasons that still remain unclear nearly two weeks later, he was released by the hospital, despite telling them that he had traveled from Liberia and that he had a fever and some abdominal pain." http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/10/08/texas-ebola-patient-has-died-from-ebola/

I guess this isn't the same thing as him telling them he had Ebola, but given the chances he could have it based on the information he provided, the hospital staff seem to have dropped the ball.

The hospital did drop the ball. 
A

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
The hospital did drop the ball.  

The fever he had was 103 degrees. For an adult that is a serious fever.

By Mayo Clinic Staff
"Fever is a sign of a variety of medical conditions, including infection. Your normal temperature may differ slightly from the average body temperature of 98.6 F (37 C).

For young children and infants — especially newborns — even slightly elevated temperatures may indicate a serious illness. For adults, a fever usually isn't dangerous until it reaches 103 F (39.4 C) or higher."