Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 426047 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #1625 on: January 22, 2021, 12:04:46 PM »
Hope you feel better soon.  Very, very sorry to hear about your sister in law.  Condolences.

Thank you Abraham.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1626 on: January 22, 2021, 12:12:14 PM »
Thanks for the information about the vaccine. I think I will run right out and get it tomorrow....oh wait, it isn't available yet here in Oregon, even for old folks like me.

Like you say, hopefully you'll be back to your old self in short order. Knowing you, missing a day of training must be killing you....of course it won't.

In NJ they have a waiting list if you're not in the approved category.  Meaning if they unfreeze 100 shots for 100 appointments and the day of their clinic only 89 show up they are allowed to call 11 on the list. They can't refreeze the left overs.  In NY they have to throw away those shots.  I hit the lottery and got called. I live ten minutes away from the clinic. Again the first shot I felt nothing. The second shot made me very sick.  Now three days after the shot I feel much better. I even worked out though I'm still recovering.  All I can say is I had a fever, my bones hurt and had that virus feeling.  Both my daughters work very closely with covid in their medical jobs. Both told me it's actually good I had such a reaction because it means my body was building anti bodies thinking I was being attacked by covid 19.  Now with exposure to covid my body knows how to fight the virus.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1627 on: January 22, 2021, 03:16:55 PM »
Trained back today Yates style.

Pulldowns 1 x 12 (one lighter warm up for 7 reps)
Seated cable lat rows 1 x 13 (One set of 8 reps as a warm up with a lighter weight)
Dumbbell rows off a bench 1 x 12
Reverse grip pulldowns 1 x 11
deadlift 1 x 8 reps ( one set of a warm up for three reps with 225lbs. The work set was with 315lbs)
Back hyper extensions 1 x 20 (plate behind my head)

Ab wheel roll out 1 x 25
Pulley crunches 1 x 40

Felt weak but I forced the workout.  Just a time line to reiterate.  Tuesday second covid shot. Wednesday I was sick as a dog. Thursday the fever broke but I was just exhausted. Friday today I felt good.  Felt weak working out but I  got it in. Expect to be 100% tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1628 on: January 22, 2021, 06:32:17 PM »
In NJ they have a waiting list if you're not in the approved category.  Meaning if they unfreeze 100 shots for 100 appointments and the day of their clinic only 89 show up they are allowed to call 11 on the list. They can't refreeze the left overs.  In NY they have to throw away those shots.  I hit the lottery and got called. I live ten minutes away from the clinic. Again the first shot I felt nothing. The second shot made me very sick.  Now three days after the shot I feel much better. I even worked out though I'm still recovering.  All I can say is I had a fever, my bones hurt and had that virus feeling.  Both my daughters work very closely with covid in their medical jobs. Both told me it's actually good I had such a reaction because it means my body was building anti bodies thinking I was being attacked by covid 19.  Now with exposure to covid my body knows how to fight the virus.

I read about the lottery for the left over vaccines just today in the Oregonian. I'm not on anyone's list for a shot, so it likely doesn't apply to me. I did wonder though how much effort I want to put into getting vaccinated against Covid-19. Normally, I like to sit back and see how things are going before inconveniencing myself for a vaccine.

From what I've read, it looks like people in my age group are eligible for a vaccine sometime in February in Oregon. I won't wait in line for hours to get it. If this means not being vaccinated for a couple of months more or even longer, I am fine with this. Yes, it is a pandemic. That doesn't mean I have to wake up every morning in panic mode.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1629 on: January 22, 2021, 07:03:20 PM »
I read about the lottery for the left over vaccines just today in the Oregonian. I'm not on anyone's list for a shot, so it likely doesn't apply to me. I did wonder though how much effort I want to put into getting vaccinated against Covid-19. Normally, I like to sit back and see how things are going before inconveniencing myself for a vaccine.

From what I've read, it looks like people in my age group are eligible for a vaccine sometime in February in Oregon. I won't wait in line for hours to get it. If this means not being vaccinated for a couple of months more or even longer, I am fine with this. Yes, it is a pandemic. That doesn't mean I have to wake up every morning in panic mode.

Here's some information for you from the Army Airborne taken from information from the CDC. Click on the graphic to read.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1630 on: January 23, 2021, 10:19:20 AM »
Trained delt and triceps Yates style. Noticed my arm pit on the arm I got the shot was hurting. Daughter said it's inflamed lymph nodes from the shot. Should be gone in a few days. Just glad it wasn't another  injury.

Dumbbell press 1 x 12 (all the way down. No half reps. Warmed up with one set of 7 reps with a light weight)
Dumbbell laterals 1 x 15 (Thumbs up to avoid impingement. Warmed up with a light weight for 7 reps)
Rear delt dumbbell laterals 1 x 14 ( no warm up)
Face pulls 1 x 15 ( no warm up)

Two hand single dumbbell behind the head tricep extension 1 x 12
Tricep pushdowns 1 x 11
Reverse grip single arm tricep extension holding a D shaped handle 1 x 13
Single dumbbell one arm tricep extension behind the head 1 x 12 ( I found with these that that for best effect you have to keep the elbow about mid line with the body. If you don't you can use more weight but it's not a full range of motion. If you have a different experience I would like to hear it.)

Weighted floor crunches 1 x 60
Pulley crunches 1 x 25

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1631 on: January 23, 2021, 03:47:45 PM »
Here's some information for you from the Army Airborne taken from information from the CDC. Click on the graphic to read.

Thanks. This is all good information. Without a doubt the vaccine seems worth any inconvenience. Unfortunately, it is unlikely to be available before March for healthy people in my age group. Currently daycare and K-12 educational staff are ahead of old folks. Personally, I don't have a problem with this. I'd rather kids get back in school than me getting vaccinated to prevent Covid so I can live a few more years.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1632 on: January 23, 2021, 05:45:00 PM »
Thanks. This is all good information. Without a doubt the vaccine seems worth any inconvenience. Unfortunately, it is unlikely to be available before March for healthy people in my age group. Currently daycare and K-12 educational staff are ahead of old folks. Personally, I don't have a problem with this. I'd rather kids get back in school than me getting vaccinated to prevent Covid so I can live a few more years.

Weird in NJ old people, cops and smokers are ahead of teachers. Don't you love the way politicians figure things out? In NYC firemen are ahead of cops. Fucked up world we live in.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1633 on: January 23, 2021, 06:11:30 PM »
Weird in NJ old people, cops and smokers are ahead of teachers. Don't you love the way politicians figure things out? In NYC firemen are ahead of cops. Fucked up world we live in.

What's fucked up is that something like this should be the dictate of the feds and not state by state. The pandemic isn't any different from one state to the next with the exception of how it is handled. Like I said, old folks like me are the ones most likely to die from it. The people getting vaccinated should be those who have a big future ahead of them and those who can insure that happens. Old people like me are much more likely to die from some illness much sooner then younger folks are. Trust me I don't have a death wish, but young people are the future....not us geezers.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1634 on: January 23, 2021, 06:34:55 PM »
What's fucked up is that something like this should be the dictate of the feds and not state by state. The pandemic isn't any different from one state to the next with the exception of how it is handled. Like I said, old folks like me are the ones most likely to die from it. The people getting vaccinated should be those who have a big future ahead of them and those who can insure that happens. Old people like me are much more likely to die from some illness much sooner then younger folks are. Trust me I don't have a death wish, but young people are the future....not us geezers.

Very few people your age survive covid. Then again my coworker who was a world class arm wrestler who benched 500lbs raw a week or two  before he died from covid. From catching it to his death was one week. Only 53. Right now the dead count from covid in many states are as high as it ever was. We need people vaccinated.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1635 on: January 23, 2021, 11:49:11 PM »
Very few people your age survive covid. Then again my coworker who was a world class arm wrestler who benched 500lbs raw a week or two  before he died from covid. From catching it to his death was one week. Only 53. Right now the dead count from covid in many states are as high as it ever was. We need people vaccinated.

Am I sensing you've had second thoughts? Seems as if not too long ago you thought the whole pandemic thing was a conspiracy designed to keep Trump from winning a second term. Now you think it's real? Now that you've been vaccinated? Well good for you. Whatever in takes to wake people up to the reality of this tragedy is all good.

Not saying I couldn't catch it. But unlike some folks around here, I embraced the idea of wearing a mask when out in public.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1636 on: January 24, 2021, 07:06:27 AM »
Am I sensing you've had second thoughts? Seems as if not too long ago you thought the whole pandemic thing was a conspiracy designed to keep Trump from winning a second term. Now you think it's real? Now that you've been vaccinated? Well good for you. Whatever in takes to wake people up to the reality of this tragedy is all good.

Not saying I couldn't catch it. But unlike some folks around here, I embraced the idea of wearing a mask when out in public.

Prime, you must have me confused with someone else.  Never said it was a conspiracy.  My daughters are on the front line with covid in health care. I get first hand reports of how filled the ICU is every week in this hot spot of covid I live in. What I have said is that the draconian shut downs were politically motivated in blue states.  It's amazing that Michigan, Illinois, NY and parts of California are reopening now that Biden is in.  The NJ governor is talking about how stable the numbers are when just a week prior to the inauguration he was saying doom and gloom.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1637 on: January 24, 2021, 02:22:16 PM »
Walked fast for an hour and sixteen minutes. It was below freezing but between the walking and the clothes I had on I was actually hot during the walk. Then did some boxing drills. Just finished watching Casablanca with the wife. It still stands up and it's a classic. It helps if you know your history of the time for context. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1638 on: January 24, 2021, 03:43:34 PM »
Prime, you must have me confused with someone else.  Never said it was a conspiracy.  My daughters are on the front line with covid in health care. I get first hand reports of how filled the ICU is every week in this hot spot of covid I live in. What I have said is that the draconian shut downs were politically motivated in blue states.  It's amazing that Michigan, Illinois, NY and parts of California are reopening now that Biden is in.  The NJ governor is talking about how stable the numbers are when just a week prior to the inauguration he was saying doom and gloom.

Sorry. Didn't mean to confuse you with someone else. Honestly, I never quite got how you could be cavalier about Covid when your family is in a position to know first hand how bad this pandemic is.

I would hate being in a position of deciding whether to shut things down or to let the pandemic play out. Either way, the economic impact is horrendous and you'd be second guessing your response and action.

Governor Brown has made her share of mistakes with her response to the pandemic. At time's it seems like she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't do what others with less information think she should do. I cannot imagine any governor making the decision to shutdown by themselves, without a ton of advice from those who have more expertise in catastrophic health issues.

February 7th is when folks over the age of 80 can begin getting vaccinated in Oregon....unless the governor changes things again. The latest information is that the week of February 14th is when people over 75 will be eligible for the vaccine. This phase will last two weeks before those over 70 will be eligible.

Like I said, I am fine with folks who work in education being eligible for the vaccine before older folks. Kids need to be in school and that can't happen until the more vulnerable adult educations and other school personnel are protected. One thing for sure is when school starts up again the buildings will be cleaner then they probably ever have been. At least in the District where I worked. A former co-worker and custodian who I speak with frequently has been working cleaning the school he works at all along.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1639 on: January 24, 2021, 03:55:31 PM »
Prime, first off I have never supported King Charles the first nor am I am a spaniel. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1640 on: January 24, 2021, 11:52:45 PM »
Prime, first off I have never supported King Charles the first nor am I am a spaniel.

Very funny!

Actually, if I were to consider having another puppy in my life after Lucy passes, I might choose a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Or I might not, because they are so popular, they are outrageously expensive. Also, I think they are prone to health problems, probably from being inbred.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1641 on: January 25, 2021, 12:22:02 PM »
Walked fast for an hours and sixteen minutes. Still on a walking kick.  I will start back up running again soon. A good week or two walking gets everything in order to run at this age.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1642 on: February 01, 2021, 11:57:02 AM »
I've been neglecting this thread.  Monday and I decided to do a chest and bicep day Yates style.

Dumbbell inclines 1 x 9  (One lighter set for a warm up for around 6 reps)
Decline dumbbell press 1 x9 (no warm up)
Weighted dips 1 x 10 (no warm up. That tenth rep was pretty ragged)
Push ups 1 x max

Ez curl 1 x 14 (one warm up set with a light weight for 6 reps)
alternate dumbbell curl 1 x 10 each arm
drag curls 1 x 11
concentration curls 1x 15

wrist curls 1 x 30
wrist extensions 1x15

ab wheel roll out 1 x 25
pulley crunches 1 x 60

Finished with a slow mile run on the treadmill. Quarter mile fast walking warm up prior and a quarter mile fast walking cool down after.

Snow storm today in NJ.  I was waiting for work to call to cancel but it didn't come yesterday.  Thought I would give myself 2 plus hours to go 30 miles in the storm. I came out to load my car and big cop was shoveling my drive way. My visibility with  the storm was poor and since he was bundled up I didn't recognize it was my son in law for awhile.  I joined him shoveling and I was no match for his 6'4" 300lbs strength.  Then my phone went off and work was cancelled.  I really thought I would make it to work then get stranded there as the storm progressed. I had plenty of food, water, extra clothes and a cell phone battery charger. Now I'm sitting post workout relaxing looking out the window. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Snow
« Reply #1643 on: February 01, 2021, 12:51:48 PM »
We had snow here about a week ago. It was nothing like what you've got. Only a couple of inches late in the day and lasted overnight. We don't get snow like you folks in the east do except in the mountains. This winter has been unusually mild. There is even a potted rose in bloom on the patio. Daffodils, crocus, and tulips are coming up and the hellebores are in bloom.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1644 on: February 02, 2021, 12:18:55 PM »
Leg day before work. Sure would have been nice to stay in bed rather than training legs so early. 

Leg press 1x13(two light warm up sets)
Squat machine 1x 11
Dumbbell squat 1x13
Stiff dead 1x 8
Leg extension 1x20
Standing leg curl 1x15

One dumbbell side bend 1x16
Hanging leg raise 1x25
Hip ups on the floor 1x26

Standing calf 1x 18
Seated calf 1x 20
Tibialis work 1 x20

Neck work 1 set per side

monsterman500

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1645 on: February 02, 2021, 12:35:13 PM »
Leg day before work. Sure would have been nice to stay in bed rather than training legs so early. 

Leg press 1x13(two light warm up sets)
Squat machine 1x 11
Dumbbell squat 1x13
Stiff dead 1x 8
Leg extension 1x20
Standing leg curl 1x15

One dumbbell side bend 1x16
Hanging leg raise 1x25
Hip ups on the floor 1x26

Standing calf 1x 18
Seated calf 1x 20
Tibialis work 1 x20

Neck work 1 set per side
One set? are u using heavy duty principles ? have you a picture of your results?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1646 on: February 02, 2021, 06:41:39 PM »
One set? are u using heavy duty principles ? have you a picture of your results?

I'm not a bodybuilder. I don't take steroids. More of a fitness trainer. I generally divide my time training between running and lifting. Yes, I use Jones, Mentzer and Yates training principles with one or two sets to failure. Not putting up a picture. I'm in my 60's. Come to think of it I did put up a picture on page 2 when I was cleaning my pool. I don't even use hormone replacement.  Again, I would never call myself a bodybuilder.

monsterman500

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1647 on: February 03, 2021, 04:42:28 AM »
I'm not a bodybuilder. I don't take steroids. More of a fitness trainer. I generally divide my time training between running and lifting. Yes, I use Jones, Mentzer and Yates training principles with one or two sets to failure. Not putting up a picture. I'm in my 60's. Come to think of it I did put up a picture on page 2 when I was cleaning my pool. I don't even use hormone replacement.  Again, I would never call myself a bodybuilder.
Fair one mate

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1648 on: February 03, 2021, 07:20:02 PM »
Took this Wednesday off. Wow are my thighs sore.  I rarely get sore so I must have taken too many days off of training.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1649 on: February 04, 2021, 09:32:16 AM »
Back day: Relatively slow and controlled reps. Tried to slow the negative. I used a warm up set as needed.
Pulldowns 1 x 10 (Used a MAG supinate grip bar. One warm up set of 7 reps with a light weight)
Seated cable rows 1 x 14 180lbs (all the way out and back. One warm up set of 6 reps with a light weight)
Dumbbell rows off bench 1 x 12 85lbs (dead low and all the way up)
Reverse grip pulldowns 1 x 10 (pulled bar to the upper chest region tapping it every rep. Tried to stay fairly upright)

deadlift 1 x 6 315lbs (getting to old for this crap. Three warm up reps with 225lbs)
Weighted back extensions 1 x 20 (25 lbs plate behind my head.)

Ab wheel roll out 1 x 25 ( I sure would like to try a rep from the standing but I'm sure I will break something.)
Pulley crunches 1 x 35