Author Topic: Splitting back workouts ???  (Read 12965 times)

tuna999

• Getbig I
Splitting back workouts ???
« on: February 23, 2016, 05:05:44 AM »
Allright guys I've got a problem with back training my current back day goes as follows
Lat pulldowns 12 sets (4 wide 4 supinated 4 close grip)
Barbell rows 6 sets 8-12 (3 Yates style underhand grip 3 old school pulling to upper chest)
Cable rows 4 sets 8-12
T bar rows 3 drop sets
Dumbell pullovers 3 sets 8-12
Deadlifts 6 sets 4-20 reps (pyramid up until last set is my 4 RM)
The problem as you can see is the ammount of volume do you think I should split it and work back twice a week one day width the other day thickness ??? By the way I'm currently on cycle of test deca and dbol so my recovery is good obviuosly
Any replies or comments welcome

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Splitting back workouts ???
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 08:38:23 AM »
Yes , you have a very serious problem. Of course if your just putting us on and making this stuff up.......not surprising on GB.

I ran out of fingers and toes to count on, but looks like your doing 34 sets for back. Which usually amounts to doing manual labor rather than a logical workout. Might try cutting that program down to 10-15 sets max for the back. Not knowing your whole workout scheme, might also suggest twice or once a week back workouts.

As far as that one day for thickness and one day for width, that still is a misconception and more waste of time. If you can't handle a complete back workout (thickness & width) in a single workout, than that's something your going to have to deal with, requiring more study and planning on your part.

Another point might be that width (or high/low lats) is a genetic thing.  Same thing with shoulder and hip width. Can always improve, with surprising results, but if your natural structure is a narrow body frame, pretty hard to get that flaring extra wide spread. Even some Pro's are lacking that natural advantage when posing. Just make the most of what you were given at birth, that's what BB'ing is all about.

Good Luck.

F

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 08:51:31 AM »
Read Mike Mentzer work.

tuna999

• Getbig I
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 09:00:58 AM »
No not making that up what would be the point yeah I know it's ultra high volume but usually moderate weight more go for the pump only go real heavy on maybe a third of the sets I posted and deadlifts

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 09:10:46 AM »
I like the concept of splitting back training into horizontal and vertical pulling. Here was my split when I did it:
back width, quads
chest, biceps
off
back thickness, hams
shoulders, triceps
off
off

I don't think you need more than 2-3 movements per back training and 6 work sets total per training.
?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 09:26:08 AM »
No dis, just to note; periods (.) are cool.

So many guy's here on GB make up junk workouts, their accomplishments on lifts, muscle size, who they really are, success in life..etc, etc, etc. Always have sense of doubts, it helps on this site. But I do believe your 34 sets thing now.

If you can't get a massive lat/back pump in 10 or 12 sets, than might want to check what's wrong with the workout plan.  

Getting a pump is like having a glass under a water tap, with the water running. Only going to get so much water in that glass, all the other water is just going to run off. Same with a muscle area, only going to get so much blood (pump) into that area before it becomes gorged and no more space for any more blood. Might even find that after many. many sets the muscle area tends to deflate and can get flat a bit. Self defeating, of course.

But if that's what you want to do and believe in the benefits of 34 sets, than that's you business.  Just might suggest splitting up the back work and do half of those 34 sets (exercises) in one workout and the other half in the next back workout. Same week or once a week for each back training....whatever.

Good Luck.
F

tuna999

• Getbig I
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 02:44:06 PM »
Yeah I'm gonna split back over a 10 day split doing it twice in those 10 days don't know why people always stick to weekly splits

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 02:59:13 PM »
Yeah I'm gonna split back over a 10 day split doing it twice in those 10 days don't know why people always stick to weekly splits

And suddenly, we have a genius here!!!
?

tuna999

• Getbig I
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 03:04:18 PM »
And suddenly we have a typical prick as long as it makes you feel good being a smart ass thought this forum was for questions and opinions not condescending remarks made by keyboard warriors why you feel the need to be a dick I've just joined this forum well just started to post wtf do comments like that make you're insecurities less prominent no need bro was only saying I utilise a ten day split where as it seems the majority work around the seven day week

greg2112

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 06:25:02 PM »
I like this split actually...I might try this but 3 days a week rotating the workouts..back width/quads Monday..chest/bi's Wednesday..back thickness/hams Friday...delts etc Monday..Wednesday repeat

I like the concept of splitting back training into horizontal and vertical pulling. Here was my split when I did it:
back width, quads
chest, biceps
off
back thickness, hams
shoulders, triceps
off
off

I don't think you need more than 2-3 movements per back training and 6 work sets total per training.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 08:35:25 AM »
Actually a 10 day split (some use a 9 day split) works pretty good for a lot of guy's.

Seven day training plans, which has been the standard for decades, may not be best approach for some people.  Everything depends on your individual goals and results in obtaining those goals. Have to experiment a bit with workouts, which some guys tend to avoid.

Really no need to criticize anyone's  workout plans, if it works for them, than it works for them.......bottom line.

Good Luck

F

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 08:43:53 AM »
And suddenly we have a typical prick as long as it makes you feel good being a smart ass thought this forum was for questions and opinions not condescending remarks made by keyboard warriors why you feel the need to be a dick I've just joined this forum well just started to post wtf do comments like that make you're insecurities less prominent no need bro was only saying I utilise a ten day split where as it seems the majority work around the seven day week

yawn.
?

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 09:08:23 AM »
Pick one row, one pulldown/chin and one lower back movement and do 3 to 4 sets each. Train the rows and pulldowns separately if you like, I like it both ways. Cable rows are fucking garbage

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 09:33:40 AM »
Pick one row, one pulldown/chin and one lower back movement and do 3 to 4 sets each. Train the rows and pulldowns separately if you like, I like it both ways. Cable rows are fucking garbage

Hmmm, the back needs more than one movement full complete development. With all the variations in grips, then the hand positioning, there are a lot of ways to stimulate back growth and I find this is not optimizing the process with just one movement per row or pulldown.
?

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 09:34:34 AM »
When I switched to full body workouts I went to three excercises for back TOTAL for the entire week. Depending on the training cycle it is rows, vertical pulling variation, rows or  vertical pulling variation, rows, vertical pulling variation.

I also do various deadlift variations and good mornings for the posterior chain but there is definitely some overlap there with lat/lower back work. My back is better than it has ever been when I had a "back day".

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 11:23:44 AM »
Hmmm, the back needs more than one movement full complete development. With all the variations in grips, then the hand positioning, there are a lot of ways to stimulate back growth and I find this is not optimizing the process with just one movement per row or pulldown.

I like to vary the movements like you say but I prefer to do it from week to week rather than all in the same workout otherwise my second movement becomes a joke.
For years I rowed one way, with the torso halfway upright like yates did, only recently since including rows with the torso paralell to the floor did I realise the tremendous value of changing up the movements, I just can't seem to do it In one workout.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 11:30:58 AM »
I like to vary the movements like you say but I prefer to do it from week to week rather than all in the same workout otherwise my second movement becomes a joke

I hear you on that.
Key reason why I really liked to split back trainings in the week. AFter the puling, the rowing is nothing like it could be if you started with it so I often alternate which I start with as a compromise.

I leaned on getbig you gotta "shock the muscle"
?

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 11:34:09 AM »
Haha seems you quite upset this tuna999 homosexual
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=605223.0

LOL! I saw that too.
9 posts on getbig and already a meltdown. Not being a gimmick, this has to be a record of sorts.
?

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 11:39:12 AM »
LOL! I saw that too.
9 posts on getbig and already a meltdown. Not being a gimmick, this has to be a record of sorts.

Haha I only realised after I posted that you had replied in the thread.
Talk about easily upset, i bet in real life he cries at least 4x a week

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 11:44:27 AM »
Haha I only realised after I posted that you had replied in the thread.
Talk about easily upset, i bet in real life he cries at least 4x a week

4x/day I bet. Probably twice already today.
?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 12:54:33 PM »
Allright guys I've got a problem with back training my current back day goes as follows
Lat pulldowns 12 sets (4 wide 4 supinated 4 close grip)
Barbell rows 6 sets 8-12 (3 Yates style underhand grip 3 old school pulling to upper chest)
Cable rows 4 sets 8-12
T bar rows 3 drop sets
Dumbell pullovers 3 sets 8-12
Deadlifts 6 sets 4-20 reps (pyramid up until last set is my 4 RM)
The problem as you can see is the ammount of volume do you think I should split it and work back twice a week one day width the other day thickness ??? By the way I'm currently on cycle of test deca and dbol so my recovery is good obviuosly
Any replies or comments welcome
depends how old you are and wish to accomplish...look to the inner universe... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
F

tuna999

• Getbig I
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 01:52:22 PM »
What is a meltdown do all you computer freaks have you're own lingo pathetic

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2016, 02:30:23 PM »
They were calling you a sensitive bitch but saying it nicely.
Imo
U wasting time on lat pull downs hit a few sets to warm up then murder the barbell rows and dumbells. Most of your energy should be spent right here on the basics. Then do all your bullshit accessory work cables and pull downs don't build thick dense muscles.

For this reason I'll dead lift later in my week about 3 or 4 days from my actual back workout and hit.  Deads with my hamstrings

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 10:16:25 PM »
They were calling you a sensitive bitch but saying it nicely.
Imo
U wasting time on lat pull downs hit a few sets to warm up then murder the barbell rows and dumbells. Most of your energy should be spent right here on the basics. Then do all your bullshit accessory work cables and pull downs don't build thick dense muscles.

For this reason I'll dead lift later in my week about 3 or 4 days from my actual back workout and hit.  Deads with my hamstrings

I do this also, I hate deadlifting on back day, put them last on back day and I cannot hit them nearly as hard if I put them first the rest of back workout suffers so I put them on leg day or sometimes with delts and traps.

tuna999

• Getbig I
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2016, 01:19:12 AM »
Thanks for the input guys yes I suppose I got pissed off when I shouldn't have but thanks for the constructive criticism that's all I was wanting cheers meltdown over lol might be a bit off topic but who works rear delts with back or which of you do rear delts with shoulders???probably a daft question would think the majority would do rear delts on shoulder day???