Author Topic: Are machines better than free weights?  (Read 12660 times)

fitnessjunkie01

• Getbig I
Are machines better than free weights?
« on: September 21, 2016, 01:16:32 AM »
Me and my buddys always have this debate....Are machines better than free weights? Or is it the other way around?

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: Are machines better than free weights?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 03:45:29 AM »
It doesn't matter. What DOES matter is HOW you use them.

light weight baby

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 04:17:06 AM »
good machines are better than free weight. but way more expensive. most gyms have bad machines

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 09:18:20 AM »
Machines are different than free weights. Neither is better than the other. There are lousy free weight exercises, and lousy weight machines. There are both good free weight exercises, and good weight machine exercises. And lifters can screw up the best exercises on either form of lifting, by not learning how to use the free weights and weight machines, correctly, with good form.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 10:55:22 AM »
For aesthetic development machines are just as good as free weights.
For strength development free weights are superior because you are required to balance the load which involves many more muscles.

heenok

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 02:26:52 AM »
Free weight will always traumatise the muscle more than any cables/machine hence resulting in a stronger anabolic response.
However the risk of getting injuried with free weights is much higher than with machines.
I use both but always focus getting stronger at the free weights compounds as i believe its the mos efficient way to build muscle. Machines/cables are support exercices or to use to give my joints or back a break.

I know a lot of pros trains on machines mostly but almost all of them built their physique with free weights. They are using machines to maintain their physique without too much joint stress. But they never get dramaticly bigger between shows (Phil heath, dexter...). The ones who do train with heavy ass free weights (Ronnie, yates, etc...) do.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 03:34:06 AM »
Real men use only free weights.

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 02:33:07 AM »
My chest are the shitiest part on my body.

The only cure for me is the seated dips machine. So i guess that in some case machine are better than free weight.
asstropin

stanlystud

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 08:08:59 AM »
My chest are the shitiest part on my body.

The only cure for me is the seated dips machine. So i guess that in some case machine are better than free weight.
apart from seated Dip machine what do you do? why not bodyweight dips?

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 06:33:41 AM »
Are machines better than free weights        no !

are machines better than free weights under specific circumstances      yes, or maybe !

for older athletes a different "mix" of Training stress can be better than kill your tendoms, ligaments with the same Kind of workout yiu did 30-40 years before.

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 02:17:12 AM »
machines, or here cable-work, are a good finisher for each muscle-group....feel the muscles working, get a pump, and itīs over.....for that Training session.

chess315

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 07:00:01 PM »
Exercises where you move your body through space are the best squats ,chins,pullups,dips,cleans,bent rows to a certain degree, push presses, you can't get as big as you possibly can with out dip,chins and squats and it varations probably handstand push-ups are very underated. This is the most underated thing in training it's scientifically proven movie your body through air caused more anabolism it's fact if your not doing them movements your kelling your self no

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 11:22:01 AM »
A slight correction: moving a body through space refers  mainly to dips, chins and jumping squats (leaps, broad jumps, etc). , where the whole body is in motion during the exercise.   With squat, benches, curls, etc the body is stationary/staying in one spot (more or less) while the legs (squats), arms (benches), curls (biceps) are doing the motion..either pushing or pulling.  Gymnastic movements are a good example of moving the body through space. Tumbling on floor exercises are very under estimated for building leg strength and size. Front/backward flips. are another.

If into serious sport performances, than would suggest free weights strongly. Though some machines can have their place in training, but not something to depend on as the number one training source....#1 would be free weights. As far as BB'ing  (size and appearance mostly) would suggest which ever one gets the most results for you. Usually will be a combo of both in a productive workout.  Some guys respond to machines better than free weights..and vice versa.

Good Luck.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 12:14:46 PM »
Also free weights tend to develop better balance and coordination of the body, calling upon smaller muscle, that are not usually recruited by most machines, to keep the body stable and in control during a lift.  Hence more usable strength to help in sports performances.  Free weight vs machines .......depends of your training goals.

Good Luck
F

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 04:26:18 PM »
Also free weights tend to develop better balance and coordination of the body, calling upon smaller muscle, that are not usually recruited by most machines, to keep the body stable and in control during a lift.  Hence more usable strength to help in sports performances.  Free weight vs machines .......depends of your training goals.

Good Luck

Well said. It just depends on the context (goal, specific use, injuries, etc) if a certain method is more effective or not. Well, this goes for most variables in the lifting game.