Author Topic: T-bar row  (Read 7770 times)

Rammstein

• Getbig III
T-bar row
« on: December 06, 2016, 12:42:37 AM »
I am considering to treat myself with a T-bar row machine as end of year present for my home gym.

Since I haven't used one in more than 15 years what do you guys think of this exercise?

Worth doing, useful machine?

Or better stick to barbell, dumbbell and cable rows?

The one I am looking at buying is actually the one Lee Priest is using here:

Henda

• Getbig V
Re: T-bar row
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 11:37:41 AM »
Barbell in the corner style is a lot cheaper mate and no different to that machine

Bigmacdaddy18

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 03:42:33 PM »
Barbell in the corner style is a lot cheaper mate and no different to that machine

Agree

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 03:58:48 PM »

Disagree.  Unless you have chronically short arms, it is a shitty exercise.  We have a cheap one at the gym at my work that uses the home gym style plates.  The range of motion is great and the option for a parallel grip or traditional or underhand grip is there too.   

Bigmacdaddy18

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 04:18:50 PM »
At my gym, Powerhouse in New Haven, we have several "T-Bar" variations. I like the one arm padded t-bar that uses standard plates. Your almost horizontal when you lay on it.

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 01:42:15 AM »
Yeah, but I don't want to damage my barbell by wedging it into the corner. And if I buy a landmine + a couple of T-bar attachments + grips I am almost at the same price as this machine; at least Rogue prices.

Anyway, do you feel a difference in Bb rows vs T-bar rows. Do you alternate or only one or the other?

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 03:54:08 AM »
i prefer barbell rows to the standard tbar row as don't like the shorter rom, the one handed tbar row, rowing so plate touches mid pec level with 5kg plates so rom isnt shortened is an absolutley brilliant excercise and far better than the standard tbar row, don't need a row handle for this either just hold the barbell.

If your not limited for space in your home gym setup that machine would be a decent addition, the bits to make a decent traditional tbar row setup can be had quite cheaper, rouge is quite costly, or can be made quite easily, I made my sleeve with pivot that fits into a plate and row handles at work for free

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 05:28:00 AM »
i prefer barbell rows to the standard tbar row as don't like the shorter rom, the one handed tbar row, rowing so plate touches mid pec level with 5kg plates so rom isnt shortened is an absolutley brilliant excercise and far better than the standard tbar row, don't need a row handle for this either just hold the barbell.

If your not limited for space in your home gym setup that machine would be a decent addition, the bits to make a decent traditional tbar row setup can be had quite cheaper, rouge is quite costly, or can be made quite easily, I made my sleeve with pivot that fits into a plate and row handles at work for free

Thanks for the advice.

Ordered a nice and cheap pivot + grip, which had good reviews and which I can attach to the power cage.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 08:33:41 AM »
Disagree.  Unless you have chronically short arms, it is a shitty exercise.

^^ Concur.
The diameter of 45's severely limits the ROM when doing conventional corner rows.

Years ago, I performed a unilateral version of the corner row. Rather than straddling the bar, it is positioned to the outer/lateral side of your foot, and the row is done with the non-working hand posting off its respective knee for balance. The movement strongly resembles a standing dumbbell row.

The advantage is that the apex of the plates travels to your side, rather than your torso. Also, since less weight is being used, you may be able to get away with 35's or even quarters.

All of this translates to a greater ROM.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 02:56:08 PM »
Great exercise-people go way too heavy and ego lift though

You can balance 1-2 45lb plates on your low back during the tbar row to ensure you're not cheating

U can straddle the bar and do 1 arm at a time which is less stressful on the low back and is harder
w

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 04:32:31 PM »
I consider the tbar row a secondary excersize. Especially to the barbell row. But it's definitely a good mass builder. Ide say it's worth it especially if you enjoy that excersize you will.train harder if you like what you have. Home gyms are always a little limited compared to a few million dollars worth of equipment at a big gym so get what you will like to use most.