Author Topic: Arched back when benching  (Read 4011 times)

GymRatJ

• Getbig I
Arched back when benching
« on: August 19, 2017, 07:15:03 AM »
My first post here.

My back has an unusually pronounced arch, I think I may have some kyphosis (although I am not a doctor).

It really hasnt caused me any pain, but when I bench press it causes me to arch my back to a greater degree than I see other lifters. When working with heavier weights, my lower back really arches up way off the bench.

Does anyone have this issue, and is it that much of a big deal? Can you mess up your back doing that?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Arched back when benching
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 04:50:26 PM »
If you bring your knees up and cross your ankles in that position, than the lower back arch should be reduced. In fact, when benching in that ankle crossover position you get more focus on the chest, delts and triceps themselves. Quite a few experienced BB'ers will use that form.

May have to reduce the weight on the bar a bit because the upper body is being somewhat isolated without any body English from the hips and legs (yes the hips and legs can be involved in flat benching to a lesser degree).

Wouldn't think a extreme arch would cause any major damage, unless you have lower disc issues to begin with. Or a bad back in general.

Good Luck.
F