Author Topic: Fight Ticker Exclusive Interview: UFC's Pete Sell calls GSP "mental midget"  (Read 1003 times)

Barracuda

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Teeth in the Darkness
Pete "Drago" Sell is best known for his win over Phil Baroni in his UFC debut at UFC 51 back in 2005. He is also known for being a contestant on season 4 of The Ultimate Fighter which was billed as the comeback. He served as a coach for UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra on the season 6 edition. Pete is 7-4 in his career and hails from Bay Shore, NY. I had an opportunity to speak by phone with Sell this past Tuesday, in what was a very open and honest conversation. What follows are the highlights of the interview.

Fight Ticker: Pete thank you for taking the time to talk to me. What have you been up to lately?

Pete Sell: As of right now I am still rehabbing a torn labrum I suffered over 20 weeks ago. This time has given me time to reflect in my career and my life in general. I am also trying to get down to 170 and compete at welterweight. This has allowed me to become more dedicated and to lead a more disciplined life style. No drinking and binging will make me a better all around fighter. I am currently in Colorado training George Sotiropoulos for his fight with Roman Mitchiyan. I have been keeping extremely busy holding seminars and I was on a Spike TV show called The Play Book which compares to Dinner and a Movie.

Fight Ticker: What is your contract status with the UFC?

Sell: I was signed to a 26 month contract after the conclusion of season six. The UFC has extended the contract by 6 months due to my injury.

Fight Ticker: Speaking of The Ultimate Fighter can you explain the difference between being a contestant on the show as opposed to a coach?

Sell: I loved being on the show both times. The obvious difference is you have more freedom as a coach, you can contact your loved ones, read magazines, newspapers and watch TV. As a fighter I kept busy by training all the time and when I was back at the house it allowed me to reflect on where I was going with my life. I thoroughly enjoyed both seasons.

Fight Ticker: Do you have any thoughts on Joey Scarola?

Sell: (Laughs) We actually tried to stop Scarola from trying out. At dinner one night with Matt Serra, Ray Longo, Joey Scarola, and myself, Longo told him it would either be the best thing that ever happened to him or the worst. Scarola laughed it off. I think that Joey wanted the fame without the work. We have had no contact with him although he has reached out to Matt a few times.

Fight Ticker: Now on to a subject that I am sure will bring some interesting answers, what do you think of Matt Hughes?

Sell: My relationship with Hughes is simple -- if I see him it's hi and bye and that's it. Hughes is very cocky and has to be the man -- he is very pompus and a backstabber. Matt Hughes walks around like his s**t don't stink and he craves attention and will take a shot at you when you least expect it.

Fight Ticker: What about the fight between Hughes and Serra?

Sell: It has to happen and will, it will be a huge money maker and I believe Serra would beat him.

Fight Ticker: If Serra defends against GSP do you think Hughes deserves a shot at the title?

Sell: Absolutely not. There are other deserving fighters but Hughes & Serra have to fight while the iron is hot.

Fight Ticker: Will you be cornering Serra when he fights GSP? If so what is your prediction?

Sell: I will be cornering Matt and I believe he will win either by KO or submission.

Fight Ticker: What are your thoughts on GSP as a man and as a fighter?

Sell: GSP is an awesome athlete. He has all the tools to dominate but he is a mental midget -- his mentality is very weak. He is a very nice guy and I have hung out with him, but I don't like the way he flip-flopped after the first fight with Serra. GSP was cool right after the fight but about 5 weeks afterwards he started making excuses saying he didn't train properly, then GSP retracted and said Serra was the better man that night, well what was it? I don't like how his story changed. I believe that all the pressure is on GSP, especially considering he is fighting in front of his countrymen. Serra thrives on the pressure and likes the underdog role. Matt Serra is all heart and GSP is the type of guy that if they were in a bar GSP would back down from a fight while Serra is down for whatever.

Fight Ticker: How do you feel about Travis Lutter and what do you think his chances are against Rich Franklin?

Sell: Lutter has a great attitude and I feel he can submit Franklin if he gets him down. On paper Franklin should dominate, but styles make match-ups and this is a bad match-up for Franklin.

Fight Ticker: Who do you consider the pound-for-pound best fighter?

Sell: Anderson Silva is the top dog right now and I don't really see any holes in his game. Silva is very humble and respectful [and] an overall good guy, but anything can happen in this sport and sooner or later someone will knock Silva off and people would be riding that guy's jock.

Fight Ticker: Can you tell me a little about your background?

Sell: I started training jiu-jitsu at 17, but I have now moved on to tightening up my wrestling and my striking. I used to be a bouncer but stopped awhile back. I was 5-0 when I arrived in the UFC and was basically thrown to the wolves and my training was on the job. My last loss to Nate Quarry was difficult because I was winning the fight and could have fought a smarter 3rd round, but that's not the way I fight. I wanted to finish him off and got caught.

Fight Ticker: Do you have any fights on the horizon?

Sell: I don't have anything yet until I can decide whether or not I can make 170. I won't have my manager contact Joe Silva. Until then I will continue to help Matt train and the rest of the guys as well.

Fight Ticker: Pete, thank you so much for your time and for being so gracious. Please wish Matt and George the best of luck with their upcoming fights and the best of luck to you as well.

Sell: No problem.

heavyNbasic

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Who' s Pete Sell?  lol.  Oh yeah, a guy that lost 4 of 5.