Author Topic: Workout/Routine advice from the GetBig community  (Read 24342 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Workout/Routine advice from the GetBig community
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2021, 04:50:32 PM »
All Out All The Time Every Day.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2021, 05:42:54 PM »
One thing for sure and I have learned this. If you keep pounding away with exercises that are bad for your joints the majority will regret it as they age. Having a bad shoulder, elbow, hip, knees or stenois of the spine isn't a good trade off for years of lifting if you're in your sixties and have a crippled body. Few escape having problems.

You can lower the odds of wear and tear by lifting with the thought of joint preservation.  Another point is body weight exercises are a  friend and not an enemy of a bodybuilder. Serge Nubret and Wilf Sylvester both used body weight squats in training. Wilf eliminated barbell squats and hacks. He won the his height class at the 1975 Universe in South Africa doing bodyweight squats, leg extensions and leg curls. I just bring this up as someone using the ownership principle doing what works for them.

For me I made so many changes to the way I work out. My key exercise for pecs is the dumbbell decline press. Zero joint issue on my shoulders with this. I think in five years I have used the barbell bench maybe five times.  I could go on with things I have dropped and what I found were a healthy alternative. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2021, 05:50:08 PM »
One thing for sure and I have learned this. If you keep pounding away with exercises that are bad for your joints the majority will regret it as they age. Having a bad shoulder, elbow, hip, knees or stenois of the spine isn't a good trade off for years of lifting if you're in your sixties and have a crippled body. Few escape having problems.

You can lower the odds of wear and tear by lifting with the thought of joint preservation.  Another point is body weight exercises are a  friend and not an enemy of a bodybuilder. Serge Nubret and Wilf Sylvester both used body weight squats in training. Wilf eliminated barbell squats and hacks. He won the his height class at the 1975 Universe in South Africa doing bodyweight squats, leg extensions and leg curls. I just bring this up as someone using the ownership principle doing what works for them.

For me I made so many changes to the way I work out. My key exercise for pecs is the dumbbell decline press. Zero joint issue on my shoulders with this. I think in five years I have used the barbell bench maybe five times.  I could go on with things I have dropped and what I found were a healthy alternative.

Today I did 1 hour of box steps w burpees , kettles swings , overhead medicine ball toss , DB complex etc for circuits.  Was sweaty even though only 32 degrees outside.

Then tossed on the weight vest and went for a 1 hour brisk walk w a lot of hills.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2021, 07:47:43 PM »
I'm glad you mentioned this as just the other day I got the most brutal ab workout of my life and it was all bodyweight work, no machines or weights.

Sometimes we neglect what's right in front of us due to it not being as popular as what others are doing.

"1"

I work L sit and planche. Toasts my core. Can L sit but can't full planche yet. I'd have gotten it by now if my training was more regular, so am a bit disappointed in myself. I'd like to be able to do 'kick throughs' moving from one to the other from the floor. An even loftier goal would be full manna through to handstand from planche but that's a long way away. On straps 1/4" from the ground. huehuehue ya right.

I'm sure you've seen me memtion it before but my best piece of calisthenics equipment (other than the floor) is a 2" trucking tie down strap. Better than rings imo since you can comfortably shove your wrists or arms through it (cross progressions, bicepless pullups from elbows, etc) That would be tortuous with wooden rings. Being able to vary the height and make them wide or narrow is optimal. I do it a shitty way with multuple straps that I throw over ceiling joists at the moment but will institute a more elegant solution one of these days. Few pullies and a collection of spreader bars maybe. Hey you can use it on your partner too.

Just basic pressing movements like pushups and dips get humbling on straps.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2021, 07:49:26 PM »
Today I did 1 hour of box steps w burpees , kettles swings , overhead medicine ball toss , DB complex etc for circuits.  Was sweaty even though only 32 degrees outside.

Then tossed on the weight vest and went for a 1 hour brisk walk w a lot of hills.

Sometimes I think doing stuff like this is better for health and real world conditioning than traditional body part isolation that is bodybuilding. I have trouble splitting my time between conditioning and strength training. I lifted today with a split but I was too tired to go for a run like I planned after lifting. I like running but if I truly wanted to do something good for my body I would walk fast. Even one week of walking for an hour and twenty minutes a day with fast walking a trail near my house I can see the fat melting off.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2021, 09:17:31 PM »
I could see how a guy would want to bench 500 and be willing to sacrifice some aesthetics to achieve strength but there's too much downside imo. If you're a big lifts guy then people are demanding shit from you all the time. You work all year and don't even get to relax at Christmas. The damn elves keep trying to unionize and the reindeer just poop wherever they want. Ok, if that's your thing.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2021, 11:50:35 PM »
Sometimes I think doing stuff like this is better for health and real world conditioning than traditional body part isolation that is bodybuilding. I have trouble splitting my time between conditioning and strength training. I lifted today with a split but I was too tired to go for a run like I planned after lifting. I like running but if I truly wanted to do something good for my body I would walk fast. Even one week of walking for an hour and twenty minutes a day with fast walking a trail near my house I can see the fat melting off.

I am highly in favor of walking versus running for many reasons, one of them being my age. However, supposedly someone who’s 160 pounds, running at 5 miles per hour (mph) burns 606 calories. Walking briskly for the same amount of time at 3.5 mph burns just 314 calories.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2021, 01:44:53 AM »
So select high protein, nutrient dense, voluminous, calorie sparse foods. Eat boring food. Everyone here knows that abs get made in the kitchen and you can't outrun a bad diet.

How that information hasn't filtered down to the fat chick you see out there jogging is a mystery. She's eating whole wheat pasta and organic olive oil, drinking fruit juice, etc, and can't understand that her Healthy Diet is the problem.

Imo the only thing cadio does is make you an efficient exchanger of oxygen for carbon dioxide. It just makes you good at cardio, which is good if you want good cardio. But if you're doing it for fat loss it's absolute nonsense. That 300 calorie difference is like 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Unless I'm training for cardio endurance, I'd rather just go easy on the oil and not run 5 miles.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2021, 01:58:52 AM »
I am highly in favor of walking versus running for many reasons, one of them being my age. However, supposedly someone who’s 160 pounds, running at 5 miles per hour (mph) burns 606 calories. Walking briskly for the same amount of time at 3.5 mph burns just 314 calories.

Running fng blows.    F that. 

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2021, 02:03:11 AM »
I work L sit and planche. Toasts my core. Can L sit but can't full planche yet. I'd have gotten it by now if my training was more regular, so am a bit disappointed in myself. I'd like to be able to do 'kick throughs' moving from one to the other from the floor. An even loftier goal would be full manna through to handstand from planche but that's a long way away. On straps 1/4" from the ground. huehuehue ya right.

I'm sure you've seen me memtion it before but my best piece of calisthenics equipment (other than the floor) is a 2" trucking tie down strap. Better than rings imo since you can comfortably shove your wrists or arms through it (cross progressions, bicepless pullups from elbows, etc) That would be tortuous with wooden rings. Being able to vary the height and make them wide or narrow is optimal. I do it a shitty way with multuple straps that I throw over ceiling joists at the moment but will institute a more elegant solution one of these days. Few pullies and a collection of spreader bars maybe. Hey you can use it on your partner too.

Just basic pressing movements like pushups and dips get humbling on straps.

I see what you did there  ;D
T

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2021, 02:41:56 AM »
Just bustin his chops.  1MR has never indicated he's anything other than a meat and potatoes man. Pretty safe bet I'm farther out than he is.

You, I'm not so sure  ;D

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2021, 03:39:33 AM »
Taffy, weren't you building a training shed? What setup did you go for in there? Apologies if you already told me about it before.

Johnholmes

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2021, 04:59:36 AM »

your problem is not if you´re Natty or not.  what routine you use, if you walk or run.
It´s the Boozing you do. If you can´t understand this then no one can help you.  ::)

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2021, 05:04:06 AM »
Q

Taffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2021, 05:11:18 AM »
Taffy, weren't you building a training shed? What setup did you go for in there? Apologies if you already told me about it before.

Didn't go into detail yet, as I'm not sure.  Last year was my 50th, and for a while I was considering rewarding myself by splashing on a decent watch (there might even have been a thread about it).  But I never pulled the trigger, so sat on that bit extra

We've got quite a reasonable back garden - small by US standards, but with an old style outbuilding.  We're pulling that down to put a new brick built double garage in, and had planned a micro granny flat.  2020 made me decide to put the watch fund towards gym equipment - Plans change  ;D

I want to run water and electric to it, so we've got someone to draw up a proper planning application - not sure how long that will take

I know you didn't ask for that detail, but it contextualises what I'm hoping to do - pretty standard stuff, boring almost

Mirrored wall (of course), fixed dumbell rack, Smith Machine (sorry but I like them more than racks), couple of adjustable benches, Olympic bar and rubberised plates, e-z curl bar - some sort of chin and dip stations.  Was thinking of maybe some sort of hack squat or leg press but hadn't really researched options

I think it was you that recommended a nicely padded floor, so I'll be looking into that.  My trusty old Air-Dyne will be moving in, and my Wife really wants some sort of punchbag or strike dummy - guess she's got 'things'  ;D

Must be missing some obvious stuff here, but it's unlikely to be up before Autumn, so I've got plenty of time to look around
T

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Q

Taffin

• Getbig V
T

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2021, 06:11:44 AM »

Walking moderate to briskly carrying a rucksack with weight burns even more.

To travel, to get around town, to train at any age — movement is foundational. Walking is one way, but it’s not enough, neither is 20 minutes at the gym. Rucking makes the volume of your daily movement count more, strengthening your foundation without the pounding on your body or the muscle loss of running.

https://www.goruck.com/pages/what-is-rucking
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2021, 06:13:18 AM »

It 100% is better.

If you have trouble with the time, look at the conditioning circuit I posted on the previous page.  It mixes strength and conditioning.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2021, 06:17:57 AM »
Today did a ton of sandbag (80lb) step ups on the box and sandbag squats, farmer carries w jerry cans, 25lb medicine ball wall ball thrusters, chains exercises, etc.  About an hour worth.   

Then 1 hour fast walk w the weight vest.   

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2021, 10:02:42 AM »
Didn't go into detail yet, as I'm not sure.  Last year was my 50th, and for a while I was considering rewarding myself by splashing on a decent watch (there might even have been a thread about it).  But I never pulled the trigger, so sat on that bit extra

We've got quite a reasonable back garden - small by US standards, but with an old style outbuilding.  We're pulling that down to put a new brick built double garage in, and had planned a micro granny flat.  2020 made me decide to put the watch fund towards gym equipment - Plans change  ;D

I want to run water and electric to it, so we've got someone to draw up a proper planning application - not sure how long that will take

I know you didn't ask for that detail, but it contextualises what I'm hoping to do - pretty standard stuff, boring almost

Mirrored wall (of course), fixed dumbell rack, Smith Machine (sorry but I like them more than racks), couple of adjustable benches, Olympic bar and rubberised plates, e-z curl bar - some sort of chin and dip stations.  Was thinking of maybe some sort of hack squat or leg press but hadn't really researched options

I think it was you that recommended a nicely padded floor, so I'll be looking into that.  My trusty old Air-Dyne will be moving in, and my Wife really wants some sort of punchbag or strike dummy - guess she's got 'things'  ;D

Must be missing some obvious stuff here, but it's unlikely to be up before Autumn, so I've got plenty of time to look around

Guess I'll brag first, like usual. Awfully excited about the mats so yeah I likely mentioned it. I scored German made Zebras, 40mm,  which are really well regarded, half price as ex-tournament mats. There not wildly expensive new but, due to covid restrictions, they didn't see much action and are in mint nick. My understanding is that Fuji are also top level, and the Zebra dude (whose name eludes) went across and took the process with him. I don't know much about Swain mats but they enjoy a good rep as well, despite being Chinese manufactured, and they were my third choice. Maybe you can score a similar bargain locally from Judo and BJJ tournament suppliers.

I'm no expert but I'd stay away from lesser mats. I've been on a few varieties of jigsaw mats without vinyl facing and they range from yucky to ghastly, and once dirty won't ever come clean again. Not to sound overly precious. It's fine. You train and basically forget they're there but it's just not something I'd want to step onto every day in my house. I just don't want to own something I don't like.

Also been on foldable mats with vinyl wrapping which had the vinyl separated from the foam. Not the end of the world but the little bit of slide from that unbonded vinyl would give a better martial artist than myself the shits, and I'd find it annoying for calisthenic and gymnastic endeavors. Also, they just weren't up to it for middle-aged takedown victims and I recall making an awfully noise after a teenage girl's drop seo nage sent me over flat backed. So not exactly an expert's voice of experience here but I'm really liking my Zebras and am pleased with the 'tatami' finish for purchase underfoot rather than dead smooth.

That's my 2.cents on mats but 1MR is going to be the dude to listen to if he has advice since he's logged thousands of hours more than me on them.

Fuuuck, it's past my bedtime, mate. Will check back tomorrow but if you want to DIY some stuff I can advise on framing, dry lining and ceilings, rendering, lime and hardwall skim finishes, painting, and finish carpentry.

Only last thing I meant to mention is consider what usage classification lets you in for. If calling it a potting shed rather than a living space saves you some sort of occupied square meters tax assessment. Electrical and plumbing regulations might be a headache if the building's use necessitates beefing up the existing house's mains. Of course, classifying it as a Granny Flat could do enough for your property value to make such things trivial. Sure you've thought all this stuff through already.

Subterranean areas really muffle shrieks and access to the most elevated height permitted by council regz is where you want the stargazing equipment.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2021, 12:16:13 PM »
Running fng blows.    F that.

Honestly, I stopped running in when I was in my late 40's. Running around a track is boring as is running on a treadmill. Running on the sidewalk or street gave me something to look at but the distraction was like an accident waiting to happen in my case. I also think running isn't great for my internal organs or feet.

One thing I like about treadmills is that I can challenge myself to walk faster and faster before breaking into a run. I've gotten up to 4 mph doing this.

Biking is great in the Portland Metro area because their are bike lanes everywhere. For years, I commuted to work on my bike. It was great...multi-tasking can be very efficient. When I worked in downtown Portland, the parking expense was a lot. Riding the bus made me nauseous and I hate crowds. The downside of biking to work is needing to change clothes when you get there because you get soaked in the rain.

I've lived in my current house for around 22 years. It is located in a very hilly neighborhood. Biking here really takes getting used to. It amazes me when I see someone actually riding their bike up the hill in front of my place, specially when they are a senior. The last time I got the bike out for a ride, I had to zig-zag in order to continue up the hill. Five blocks up and I was totally out of breath. The elevation out front is 500 ft. and it is 800 ft at the top of the hill.  But, coming back down the hill is a breeze.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2021, 12:29:18 PM »
I toss on the weight vest or ruck pack and aim for 15 min miles.   Not slower, not faster.   Its a brisk walk pace. 

Running is terrible for your joints.   If you want to push aerobic limits - the air bike, swimming, rowing, are all better choices. 

Honestly, I stopped running in when I was in my late 40's. Running around a track is boring as is running on a treadmill. Running on the sidewalk or street gave me something to look at but the distraction was like an accident waiting to happen in my case. I also think running isn't great for my internal organs or feet.

One thing I like about treadmills is that I can challenge myself to walk faster and faster before breaking into a run. I've gotten up to 4 mph doing this.

Biking is great in the Portland Metro area because their are bike lanes everywhere. For years, I commuted to work on my bike. It was great...multi-tasking can be very efficient. When I worked in downtown Portland, the parking expense was a lot. Riding the bus made me nauseous and I hate crowds. The downside of biking to work is needing to change clothes when you get there because you get soaked in the rain.

I've lived in my current house for around 22 years. It is located in a very hilly neighborhood. Biking here really takes getting used to. It amazes me when I see someone actually riding their bike up the hill in front of my place, specially when they are a senior. The last time I got the bike out for a ride, I had to zig-zag in order to continue up the hill. Five blocks up and I was totally out of breath. The elevation out front is 500 ft. and it is 800 ft at the top of the hill.  But, coming back down the hill is a breeze.   

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2021, 12:49:34 PM »
I toss on the weight vest or ruck pack and aim for 15 min miles.   Not slower, not faster.   Its a brisk walk pace. 

Running is terrible for your joints.   If you want to push aerobic limits - the air bike, swimming, rowing, are all better choices.

Swimming is one area where I have always excelled or at least used to before COVID shut down the pools at the gym.